Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - current)

X1 E84 (2011 - current)
The new to the US BMW X1 will arrive at BMW dealers in the fall of 2012 as a 2013 model year. Get your X1 28i with either sDrive (RWD) or xDrive (AWD) or get the US exclusive I6 N55 powered X1 35i dDrive.

Old 09-19-2012, 04:33 PM
'Fester

Mein Auto: '11 X5 35d
Anyone consider the new Audi Allroad?

I know the X1 is new to the US, but has anyone compared it to the new Allroad? Very similar in price to the X28. I haven't driven one yet, but if I do decide to buy a small utility vehicle, I would have to checkout the Audi as well.
2011 X5 35d Alpine white/black leather, bamboo, Prem, Prem Sound, Cold, Tech, Sport, Adaptive drive, 20" 214's, CA, spare, active seat package, multi-contour seats, rear climate, roof rails, side-view cam, heated rear seats, auto high beams.
Ads by Google
Old 09-19-2012, 05:11 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 X1, 2012 Q5
Yes - I did cross-shop the two, and the X1 and the allroad were two of three vehicles that made the final cut. If you compare option for option, the allroad is the more expensive of the two. But then it's a bigger, more substantial car, so you could argue the price is justified. I personally think Audi over-priced the allroad, making it about $3,000 more expensive than the Avant for the same basic car. I would have preferred an Avant to the allroad, and that may have been my choice if Audi hadn't discontinued the regular Avant from the US lineup. Either the allroad or a second Q5 would be in my garage if they offered the 3.0 TDI. The Q5 gets the TDI next year, but I didn't want to wait.

I drive 30,000 to 35,000 miles per year, so the allroad actually suits my needs better with a softer ride, larger cargo area and higher quality interior. But to be honest, it was a little boring, and left me wanting a better driving experience. And Audi steering feels slightly over-boosted to me. So I compromised a little comfort and went with the car I thought I would enjoy driving more, at least most of the time.

The allroad also disappoints with fuel economy ratings, dropping 2 mpg from the Avant's ratings to just 27 highway. I guess some butch fender flares and a suspension lift will do that. I'm also disappointed that the full paint option is only available on the Ice Silver, Glacier White or Phantom Black. I wanted the Scuba Blue or Volcano Red in full paint. Audi offers custom paint on any vehicle, so I could have done it if I really, really wanted to ... for an extra $2,500 (gulp!). I could have lived with the black plastic fenders, but it was just one more reason to go with the X1.

We own a Q5, so I qualified for the Audi owner loyalty discount. On top of that, the Audi dealer was offering a much more generous discount. Although not as well equipped, I could have driven home a very nice allroad WITH PADDLE SHIFTERS for less than what I paid for my M Sport. Time will tell if I made the right decision, but minimal regret so far.

2014 Touareg TDI R Line
2012 Q5 2.0T
2002 RSX

Last edited by HotRodW; 09-19-2012 at 08:09 PM.
Old 09-19-2012, 07:57 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X1
My Audi A3 has been in the shop so many times for warranty service (4 times this year alone) that I won't consider any model for a long time.
Old 09-19-2012, 09:10 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X1 sDrive28i
My wife used to drive an A4 sedan so I did consider both the A4 Avant and the new Allroad. But price wise they were much more than an X1. That and the lack of a nearby Audi dealer in case the car was problematic convinced me to look elsewhere
Old 09-20-2012, 11:44 PM

Mein Auto: pending...
My wife and I were actually planning on replacing her A4 with an Avant. So we went and test drove both the A4 avant and the A3 and were totally disappointed in the quality and performance. But at the dealer we found out that they were discontinuing the Avant for the "new" Allroad, and I got excited, for about 2 seconds until I saw that it was basically the same as the Avant, but with All-New plastic cladding and nothing new under the hood, plus an extra $3k-5K. The last Allroad was a big step up with the 2.7L and actual increased all weather driving capability. This one is basically plastic cladding, which I think looks crappy. And assuming it drove similar to the 2012 Avant, not worth $35k.

So then we expanded our search and decided to drive a 328 wagon with sport package.... and loved it!!!! Despite the $38k price tag, we were ready to buy one, when the next day I was browsing around and I saw on the BMW site (in June) the new X1s, and with the better gas mileage, quicker 0-60, and cheaper price tag than the 328 we ordered one... site unseen..

So we picked it up three weeks ago and love the way it drives, but there have been some issues with what we were expecting and what was delivered versus what was advertised (i.e. no paddle shifters on our M-sport, no iDrive, no power seats)...

So that's our story - basically we were Audi people until we actually compared the two... BMWs drive so much better, that for the (or less) price, it was a no brainer for us .. I think that the only thing the Audi has over the BMW is looks (I personally think the A4 Avant is one of the best looking family cars, apart from the new X5, but which is $15k more).

my two cents
Old 09-21-2012, 02:47 AM
'Fester

Mein Auto: '11 X5 35d
Thank you all for the input! I am just debating on a small suv/wagon or 4 door sedan for my next car. For those of you who own, I look forward to hearing your impressions as ownership goes on!
2011 X5 35d Alpine white/black leather, bamboo, Prem, Prem Sound, Cold, Tech, Sport, Adaptive drive, 20" 214's, CA, spare, active seat package, multi-contour seats, rear climate, roof rails, side-view cam, heated rear seats, auto high beams.
Old 09-21-2012, 06:28 PM
HerrDoktorProfessor

Mein Auto: '11 335d
Base MSRP is $39k. That's $7k higher than a base X1 28i drive. For that kind of scratch I'd rather wait for an F31.

Entertaining America Since 1975
European Delivery July 26th 2011
ED Video: https://vimeo.com/60051914
ED Trip Report:http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=557294

335d| Deep Sea Blue| Black/Aluminum | Stuff | Gadgets | More Stuff | Power Whatnots | Auto-Verbing Nouns
BMWCCA #448878