Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 09-21-2012, 09:43 PM

Mein Auto: E46 M3, i3, SpecE30
FYI, the iPhone 5 is working properly in my 2012 X5 via the standard Lightning to USB cable. Music library/album art/playlist browsing works just as it did previously. Pandora also works, as does the Connected Drive app.
Old 09-21-2012, 10:05 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW
I can also confirm that the iPhone 5 using the Lightening to USB cable works with my 2012 F10 correctly. Or, at least, as well as my iPhone 4. I did notice that bluetooth quality was much improved for phone use. The only downside is that the Lightening cable, spares for which you cannot buy anywhere and is, possibly, the biggest downside to the iPhone 5 (you would have thought Apple would have made sure that you could buy the things, instead they are quoting 2 to 3 weeks delivery, total incompetence) is too long and the plug plus iPhone body do not allow it to lodge nicely in the empty cradle. Sigh. Whatever, it works and I suppose we should be grateful.

2012 Space Grey 528i MSport
2013 Valencia Orange X1 xDrive28i
Old 09-21-2012, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitby View Post
The only downside is that the Lightening cable, spares for which you cannot buy anywhere...
I agree about the general lack of availability, but I was able to pick up 2 extra cables tonight at my local Apple Store, so you might want to give that a shot.
Old 09-22-2012, 02:48 AM

Mein Auto: 7 series
Quote:
Originally Posted by apw2607 View Post
Playing iPod video: Snap-In-Adapter
Checking E-mail: Bluetooth
Checking Text Messages: Bluetooth
Calendar: USB cable/snap in adapter

Facebook: USB Cable/Snap-In-Adapter
Twitter: USB Cable/Snap-In-Adapter
If you cradle the phone, the Bluetooth becomes inactive. Are you saying you can have only one or the other? Email/txt vs. calendar? Doesn't seem right,,,
Old 09-22-2012, 02:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaunatl View Post
FYI, the iPhone 5 is working properly in my 2012 X5 via the standard Lightning to USB cable. Music library/album art/playlist browsing works just as it did previously. Pandora also works, as does the Connected Drive app.
Are you saying "working properly" compared to iPhone 4/4S 30-pin/USB connector or compared to cradle? I assume you mean the connector.
Old 09-22-2012, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Boom View Post
Are you saying "working properly" compared to iPhone 4/4S 30-pin/USB connector or compared to cradle? I assume you mean the connector.
Compared to the old USB to 30 pin - I don't have the snap-in adapter.
Old 09-22-2012, 05:41 AM
Test... 1, 2 ,3

Mein Auto: 2015 320i
Quote:
If you cradle the phone, the Bluetooth Audio becomes inactive. Are you saying you can have only one or the other? Email/txt vs. calendar? Doesn't seem right,,,
Fixed.

Texts display and Calendar can coexist. The first uses Bluetooth and the second uses BMW Apps (USB).
Old 09-22-2012, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
Fixed.

Texts display and Calendar can coexist. The first uses Bluetooth and the second uses BMW Apps (USB).
What if using cradle? Won't that disengage BT?
Old 09-22-2012, 06:56 AM
Test... 1, 2 ,3

Quote:
What if using cradle? Won't that disengage BT?
No, as the cradle/snap-in adapter is another USB port (secondary).
Old 09-22-2012, 06:57 AM

Mein Auto: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaunatl View Post
I agree about the general lack of availability, but I was able to pick up 2 extra cables tonight at my local Apple Store, so you might want to give that a shot.
Thanks. I will pop in today to see if I can get one or two.

2012 Space Grey 528i MSport
2013 Valencia Orange X1 xDrive28i
Old 09-22-2012, 07:41 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 535i
Quote:
Pandora: USB Cable/Snap-In-Adapter. Can use BT audio if you want but limited functionality
Playing iPod music: USB Cable/Snap-In-Adapter. Can use BT audio if you want but limited functionality
Playing iPod video: Snap-In-Adapter
Checking E-mail: Bluetooth
Checking Text Messages: Bluetooth
Calendar: USB cable/snap in adapter
Facebook: USB Cable/Snap-In-Adapter
Twitter: USB Cable/Snap-In-Adapter
MOG Music: USB Cable/Snap-In-Adapter. Can use BT audio if you want but limited functionality
Use Cell Phone Antenna: Snap-In-Adapter
Traffic: function of CIC or BMW assist depending on year of car
Weather: BMW Assist or BMW live
Web Radio: USB Cable/Snap-In-Adapter. Can use BT audio if you want but limited functionality.
News: USB Cable/Snap-In-Adapter. BMW assist and BMW live provide similar capability
Wiki Local: USB Cable/Snap-In-Adapter. BMW assist and BMW live provide similar capability
Thanks for the very helpful answers and for the original query!
Old 09-22-2012, 07:59 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 X5 35d
Quote:
No, as the cradle/snap-in adapter is another USB port (secondary).
BT Audio and USB connection (cable or snap in) to phone can't co-exist ... Although actually there's no technical limitation why they can't but BMW chooses to disable it.

What isn't possible is bt audio and data tethering connection at the same time. Not enough bandwidth over bt to support that.
Old 09-22-2012, 09:21 AM
Test... 1, 2 ,3

Quote:
BT Audio and USB connection (cable or snap in) to phone can't co-exist ... Although actually there's no technical limitation why they can't but BMW chooses to disable it.

What isn't possible is bt audio and data tethering connection at the same time. Not enough bandwidth over bt to support that.
The poster is not talking about BT Audio, but about Bluetooth connection in gereral. That's what I "fixed" in post #82.
Old 09-22-2012, 10:12 AM

Quote:
The poster is not talking about BT Audio, but about Bluetooth connection in gereral. That's what I "fixed" in post #82.
It might help if you shared how you fixed it. Thanks.
Old 09-22-2012, 10:30 AM
Test... 1, 2 ,3

Quote:
It might help if you shared how you fixed it. Thanks.
"Fixed" means that I corrected your post.

I really do not have any idea of what your problem is. If you plug your phone in a snap-in adapter then Bluetooth connection -for phone calls and, now in IOS 6, for texts- is still active.

If what you are saying is that it is not working like that in your particular setup then something is really wrong either in your phone, in the Combox or both.

Last edited by Technic; 09-22-2012 at 10:32 AM.
Old 09-23-2012, 02:29 AM

Quote:
"Fixed" means that I corrected your post.

I really do not have any idea of what your problem is. If you plug your phone in a snap-in adapter then Bluetooth connection -for phone calls and, now in IOS 6, for texts- is still active.

If what you are saying is that it is not working like that in your particular setup then something is really wrong either in your phone, in the Combox or both.
Thanks for your input.
When I cradle the phone, most features are active other than the message stating BT (audio?) not active. Only feature than disappears is Office (with only Contacts remaining). This is my heartache.
You state that BT connection for phone is still active when cradled. But I don't see the need/purpose for BT phone connection since phone is now "wired" via the cradle.

Last edited by Sonic Boom; 09-23-2012 at 02:48 AM.
Old 09-23-2012, 08:31 AM
Test... 1, 2 ,3

Quote:
Thanks for your input.
When I cradle the phone, most features are active other than the message stating BT (audio?) not active. Only feature than disappears is Office (with only Contacts remaining). This is my heartache.
You state that BT connection for phone is still active when cradled. But I don't see the need/purpose for BT phone connection since phone is now "wired" via the cradle.
The cradle connection is USB (with an analog video wired connection in the case of the Media cradle). There is no phone connection via USB or wired of any kind, it is only available via Bluetooth (over the air).

Therefore, the phone BT connection does not change/deactivate in the cradle just because it is a separate connection.

Now, if what you are saying is that you can see the texts in the iDrive screen with your iPhone in your hand or connected via the USB port in the center console but not with the iPhone connected in the cradle then that's another issue.
Old 09-23-2012, 10:46 AM

Quote:
The cradle connection is USB (with an analog video wired connection in the case of the Media cradle).

Now, if what you are saying is that you can see the texts in the iDrive screen with your iPhone in your hand or connected via the USB port in the center console but not with the iPhone connected in the cradle then that's another issue.
Thanks for your detailed explanation and clarification.
Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying. Maybe it's because I have every feature EXCEPT 6NR (for BMW Apps, plugin, video playback). If this is the case, I'm in the process of getting this coded in next few days. If 6NR has no bearing on the issue at hand, then I have idea what's wrong.
Old 09-23-2012, 01:21 PM
Test... 1, 2 ,3

Quote:
Thanks for your detailed explanation and clarification.
Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying. Maybe it's because I have every feature EXCEPT 6NR (for BMW Apps, plugin, video playback). If this is the case, I'm in the process of getting this coded in next few days. If 6NR has no bearing on the issue at hand, then I have idea what's wrong.
6NR is not relevant in this particular issue.

Get that USB fixed before any 6NR activation (it is more than coding now). You will need that USB working for 6NR or you will have two issues.
Old 09-23-2012, 01:24 PM

Mein Auto: German
I don't have BMW Apps and the iPhone 5 I had worked via USB. Album art, playlists, etc. Worked like before
Old 10-11-2012, 10:19 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 535i
Lighting adapter & iPhone 5

I too have full iDrive control over my iPhone 5 after attaching the new Lighting adapter to the Y-cable on my 2011 535i (April 2010 build, which was not configured with BMW app option).