Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)

E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)
E85 Z4 Roadster, E86 Z4 Coupe, E85 Z4 M Roadster, and E86 Z4 M Coupe talk with our BMW gurus here.

Old 09-21-2012, 07:23 PM

Mein Auto: Z4
Seat Back Covers Falling Off?

I purchased my 03 Z4 this summer and the seat back cover was off of the passenger side seat. Reinstalled it. Pretty straight forward. 2 hooks at top of back, 2 hooks on sides below middle of cover, and 2 push pins from the bottom. Wiggled the seat back cover and felt secure. 2 weeks later, noticed drivers and passenger side covers off. Reinstalled both sides again. Push pins were still in place on bottom. Today I noticed that the drivers side had came off again. Push pins still in place. Seat back cover just leaning back against the speaker cover area. Just wondering if maybe the cardboard covers has shrunk (don't know how)? I don't like to rig anything. I am thinking about taking the hooks off of the top of the cover and moving them up a bit and epoxying them in place. Anyone else had this issue? Thanks in advance for the help.
Ads by Google
Old 09-22-2012, 09:17 AM
Luv'in Texas

Mein Auto: '08 Z4 3.0si
I would try getting new push pins first. Easy enough to try, and if it doesn't work, you can go to plan B.

I had an issue under warranty once where they replaced the back because the clips were broken.

It came off again after a few days, and I had to put it back on myself. Just make sure the push pins are engaging well into the holes in the tabs on the bottom of the seat.
2009 Club Car Precedent (to putter around the beach)
Old 09-22-2012, 10:20 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2001 Z3 Coupe and 2003 Z4
Brock5ga, I have owned my 2003 Z4 for two years and have gone through the same problems as you. Have tried the same fixes as you. Right now, both backs are not attached. I am looking for advice also.
Old 09-22-2012, 10:25 AM
Hat's On, Tops Down!

Mein Auto: 2008 Z4MR
I would have taken it back to the dealer if the seat back had come loose just within days of them "Fixing" it. My M seats rubbed and the dealer replaced the backs. No issues other than the driver seat flexed, (loose bolts) the fixed this pretty quickly.

I would offer that maybe a small amount of silicone adhesive might do the trick. Just in a couple key spots along the seat back to help hold it down with the fasteners.

2008 Z4M Roadster
BMWCCA/ZSCCA Member
Old 09-22-2012, 01:55 PM

Mein Auto: Z4
Quote:
Originally Posted by bten View Post
I would try getting new push pins first. Easy enough to try, and if it doesn't work, you can go to plan B.
Push pins are still attached to the bottom of the seat. The top of the back is what is coming loose. Bottom pins are pushed all the way in.
Old 09-23-2012, 05:48 PM
Luv'in Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by STIHLBOLTS View Post
I would have taken it back to the dealer if the seat back had come loose just within days of them "Fixing" it.
Yea, I know,

it just means another appointment, more time lost either before or after work, on even worse, on a saturday.

At the time, the dealer was along very busy and congested freeway, a pita to get to.

Sometimes I think dealers think we have nothing better to do with our time.

I saw what was wrong, and it was easy to fix.
Old 09-23-2012, 05:50 PM
Luv'in Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by brock5ga View Post
Push pins are still attached to the bottom of the seat. The top of the back is what is coming loose. Bottom pins are pushed all the way in.
Maybe the clips on the seat are messed up?. The back is usually pretty rigid. Just another place to look.
Old 09-24-2012, 08:21 AM
Hat's On, Tops Down!

Mein Auto: 2008 Z4MR
I know what you are saying. I live 45 minute trip from dealer, its a PITA to make time to run down there and get things fixed. But all that is over now, warranty has run out in September, the indy shop is a little closer.

2008 Z4M Roadster
BMWCCA/ZSCCA Member
Old 03-12-2014, 11:15 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2001 Z3 Coupe and 2003 Z4
Thought I would pass along my recent experience with the problem of the seat backs falling off...I threw in my experience on this thread 1.5 years ago, and until now the backs on both seats were always disconnected from the seats. Last week I successfully reattached the backs to the seats and then did something else....I made sure that there was a slight gap between the rear of the seat and that they were not touching the rear bulkhead....after a week of daily driving they are still intact. Another thing to avoid, if you can, is jamming items behind the seats for extra storage as this puts pressure on the attachment clips. Not the final answer here I am sure, but it does help.