Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > The Detail Department

The Detail Department
Detailing tips, tricks to keep your bimmer in showroom condition.

Old 08-23-2012, 09:19 AM

Mein Auto: e92 328i
Will I need any special gear with this PC random orbital model?

Hello guys and gals.

I've been doing some research on how to properly care for my new-to-me space gray 328 coupe and I have decided that I need a nice PC random orbital.

Recently I was looking to spend some rewards points and I found this exact model:

http://www.portercable.com/products/...roductID=21428

My question is, since this is technically a sander, do I need anything to make this work as a polisher?

Will this even work like the 7424 (or other commonly recommended models), or will the model in question operate in a different manner?

I searched through this forum and a couple others and couldn't find anything on this exact model, or anything definitive regarding random orbital sanders. Any help is greatly appreciated!
Advertisement
Old 08-23-2012, 11:00 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 911 Cab/328i
found this on garagejournal

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=127918

take fwiw - don't know how credible this source is, but it appears to make sense

If it doesn't come with a backing plate you'll need one, and you'll need pads. Check out detailersdomain.
(+1999 911 Carrera Cab, 1967 Morgan +4 SS, 2008 Nissan Armada)
Old 08-23-2012, 01:43 PM

Thanks for the response, aray.

Yeah, it does make sense...I'm just concerned that this sander/polisher would have a slightly different motion to it. Kind of like those power sanders that vibrate as well as have a random orbit.

So instead of a sanding backing plate, I would need a separate/different backing plate for the polishing pad? Not sure if I follow that part.
Old 08-24-2012, 02:10 AM

Mein Auto: Jaguar XKE
Quote:
Originally Posted by iahawkeye View Post
Thanks for the response, aray.

Yeah, it does make sense...I'm just concerned that this sander/polisher would have a slightly different motion to it. Kind of like those power sanders that vibrate as well as have a random orbit.

So instead of a sanding backing plate, I would need a separate/different backing plate for the polishing pad? Not sure if I follow that part.
These types of polisher / sander are all Random Orbial or Dual action machine (random elliptical centripetal orbit) is one that has two controlled components of the backing plate / pad; orbiting around a centre spindle, while the baking plate / pad freely spins on its own axis. The backing plate mounting is off-centre, as the drive rotates centrifugal force moves the backing plate in an elliptical motion, to balance this motion a counter weight is fitted to counteract machine vibration

The pad rotation of a duel-action is driven by its orbital speed. The faster the machine orbits, the more centrifugal force is applied to the backing plate, which results in its random elliptical centripetal orbit (OPM). A pad with a large contact area absorbs the orbital action due to its high surface resistance.

Call Phil at Detailers Domain and ask him about the Uber foam pads and backing plate, he is very knowledable and extremly hepful

Last edited by TOGWT; 08-24-2012 at 02:12 AM.
Old 08-24-2012, 07:42 AM

Ok, so the only difference then is the backing plate. Thanks TOGWT.

I'll get in touch with Phil too.

Thank again!
Old 09-22-2012, 07:51 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 528i
Here's a kit that has everything you may need for the Porter Cable. You can buy the the backing plate, pads, etc. separately. The link has a good write up on the Porter Cable too.

Last edited by Revelation19; 09-22-2012 at 07:52 PM.