Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > The Detail Department

The Detail Department
Detailing tips, tricks to keep your bimmer in showroom condition.

Old 08-06-2012, 08:38 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: MB S500/750Li Individual
Optimum No Rinse as a Pre-Soak to Car Washes

I am very aware of the foam gun, but with a never used pesticide sprayer at home, I was wondering if I could use my Optimum No Rinse as a pre-soak for several processes:

Traditional Two Bucket Wash:
- Wheels
- Pre-soak body for 5 Minutes
- Wash
- Rinse and sheet water

Touchless (for 1-2 days after wash):
- Wet
- Soak for 5 min.
- Rinse and Sheet water

Rinseless:
- Pre-soak section
- Wash section
- Dry section

As far as I know, this would work well with the rinseless only. Any opinions?

Also, I am wondering with a foam gun such as the ones from Gilmour, would they be sufficient substitutes for quick detailers if used in a touchless wash manner?

2008 BMW Individual E66 750Li
2006 Mercedes-Benz S500 W220
Ads by Google
Old 08-07-2012, 01:50 PM
wooohooo

Mein Auto: '08 335i coupe 6MT sport
Quote:
As far as I know, this would work well with the rinseless only. Any opinions?
I sort of agree, yes only the rinseless. Your 2 bucket, you're drying yes? 5 min of soak, well I don't know what the current MA temps are, but my car isn't black, I wait for the time of day when I get the most shade in the driveway, the car is completely "cool", and there is still no way my car won't get water spots after 5 min; I have to be quicker. I guess you'd adjust after seeing, but thought I'd mention it. The 2 bucket you describe does seem like overkill. Heck, I don't even use 2 buckets anymore, not for a while. I think choice of soap, and technique with the actual mitt and/or drying is more important than using a 2nd bucket.

Quote:
Also, I am wondering with a foam gun such as the ones from Gilmour, would they be sufficient substitutes for quick detailers if used in a touchless wash manner?
I've never done a touchless wash. It's hard to compare for me. One is using QD, and the other is a full blown wash; the latter still requires drying. So, I wouldn't even call it touchless. This is IMO.

You know these other sprayers people ask about . . . Maybe contact Optimum directly for their opinion on the matter? I think you'll have a very hard time finding any enthusiast detailer that uses a pesticide sprayer for car washes.

Last edited by Ilovemycar; 08-07-2012 at 01:52 PM.
Old 09-22-2012, 08:02 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovemycar View Post
I think you'll have a very hard time finding any enthusiast detailer that uses a pesticide sprayer for car washes.
I've used a pesticide sprayer to apply Optimum No Rinse (ONR) as a pre-soaking agent. Worked very well. The sprayer was spotlessly clean inside. I've also used a good spray bottle with ONR as a pre-soak. Takes like 5 minutes to spray a small car.
The pre-soak process works well for me. Nowadays, I use a foam gun.

At the mega-car-wash place in town, I noticed that they too use a pesticide sprayer to pre-soak the front grill area of every single car that is about to go through the machine wash tunnel.

On this topic, don't worry about form, do what works for you and gives the best results. Foam gun, pesticide sprayer, spray bottle will all work; let your budget and available time influence your choice.

Good luck.

Last edited by Revelation19; 09-22-2012 at 08:09 PM.