Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts

BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts
Do you own a diesel powered BMW? Maybe a 335d or a BMW x35d? Come and talk about what makes your car great!

Old 09-21-2012, 09:17 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E46M3 & X5D
Report - X5D left for service got a X3 xdrive28i loaner

Report X3 xdrive28i 2.0L 4cyl gas twin-turbo

Pros:
- external design somehow
- engine is better and more efficient than the old 28i 3L 6cyl

Cons
- I hate the new electronic steering, very light, can't feel the road at all and also there is no steering middle point, not a classic BMW handling, feels like RAV4
- default efficient dynamic function - engine stop and go at traffic light feels weird, plus I can't imagine how long the starter will last before goes south
- very bumpy ride
- engine rough idle, sounds and shakes almost like 80's diesel
- needs good revving to feel the power, torque is nothing like the one on the 35D

Conclusion: once you get used to the instant monster diesel torque you will never go back to a gazer again
If they bring X3 xdrive28D with 2.0L 4cyl, twin-turbo diesel it will to be much better choice but still, I can't close my eyes on the electronic steering and forgive it
1996 318ti E36 Hatchback 4-cyl 5SP Manual (SOLD)

Last edited by tol4o; 09-21-2012 at 09:24 AM.
Ads by Google
Old 09-21-2012, 10:25 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
I wondered about that constant stop and start thing myself. It seems as if the BMW (at least) starters have a "finite" number of starts in them before going south and this new gas saving (?) ploy may exacerbate the situation. I have driven both the new 2.8 X3 and the new RAV-4 and surprisingly the Toytota's steering feels better!
Old 09-21-2012, 10:46 AM

Mein Auto: E46M3 & X5D
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJ View Post
I wondered about that constant stop and start thing myself. It seems as if the BMW (at least) starters have a "finite" number of starts in them before going south and this new gas saving (?) ploy may exacerbate the situation. I have driven both the new 2.8 X3 and the new RAV-4 and surprisingly the Toytota's steering feels better!
My first thought was "What about if I am in a heavy traffic on the highway, the starter will cook after 50 starts..."

I am wondering if it's a regular starter or some kind of other magnetic system
But after all it still needs energy to rotate the crankshaft and compress the air. That energy comes from the battery but then the battery charges from the alternator... The whole thing looks like a loop of energy with promise of economy

The electronic steering will be a big problem and a major complain for all enthusiastic "Sheer pleasure" drivers
1996 318ti E36 Hatchback 4-cyl 5SP Manual (SOLD)

Last edited by tol4o; 09-21-2012 at 10:48 AM.
Old 09-21-2012, 12:01 PM

Mein Auto: '11 335d, '00 540iT
I'm sure it's a different kind of starter that is designed for heavy duty use. Plus based on what I read if you take your foot off the gas and then reapply, or turn the steering wheel, it will start and keep running.

But yea, if they ruined the steering, there are lots of other similar vehicles out there.
Old 09-22-2012, 08:31 AM

Mein Auto: 335d, FIAT 500 Abarth
Quote:
Originally Posted by tol4o View Post
My first thought was "What about if I am in a heavy traffic on the highway, the starter will cook after 50 starts...
If it is like the 328i loaner I had then there is a button near the ignition which allows you to turn off the stop/start feature; I believe BMW suggests doing this in heavy stop & go traffic.
Old 09-23-2012, 05:07 AM

Mein Auto: 11 335d,08 K12GT,10 S1000
I would suggest turning it off as a start up routine, I hate start stop.
08 WR250R