Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-21-2012, 05:34 AM
paulo6 paulo6 is offline
Registered User
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 66
Mein Auto: 2008 535xi Mon Blue.
Switch from 08 to 10 535???

Not sure its worth it, but probably not...currently own a 2008 535xi sport, premium, nav, etc. with 52K miles and 1 more year to go on CPO..I love the car especially after I COBBed it...I have an opportunity to grab a 2010 535 Xdrive white (Blah), premium, nav, M-sport package, value, comfort access, etc. Also pretty loaded with only 27K miles...ASKING $42K, and I am sue I can knock a few grand out of it....is it worth it??? Things inticing me: Newer Nav, M-sport, Ipod interation and of course miles and warranty, other than that Im getting same as what I have already...I owe about $25K on my car
__________________
2008 535xi, Monaco Blue
PREMIUM, NAV, SPORT, COMFORT ACCESS, COLD PKG, PARK ASSIST, SAT, COBB S1 Agg.
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
  #2  
Old 09-21-2012, 06:15 AM
Oceans10's Avatar
Oceans10 Oceans10 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: CT
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,499
Mein Auto: BMW 535i + 535XI wagon
I would save the money on the 2010 and just upgrade the 08 with whatever mods you want. Everything you mentioned is possible, even the new iDrive.
__________________
Audio: Jehnert Flatline speakers, Mobridge M1000 DA2 prepro, Helix P-DSP, Zapco Z-150.6 amp, iDock on dash
Performance: Protuned Cobb, AR Downpipes, ER FMIC/CP, DCI, RB turbos, KW V2 coilovers, AEM 320E LPFP/ported fuel rail
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-21-2012, 12:50 PM
jim165 jim165 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Texas
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 440
Mein Auto: 2008 BMW 550i Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceans10 View Post
I would save the money on the 2010 and just upgrade the 08 with whatever mods you want. Everything you mentioned is possible, even the new iDrive.
Or just go F10!
__________________
2008 550i Sport
Space Gray, Black Dakota, Bamboo Anthracite
SAT, Sat, Shades, Cold Wthr, Comf Access, Nav,L7, PDC, LUX V3 AEs, BMW Perf. Grilles, HID fogs, ACS Roof Spoiler, M5 Lip Spoiler, RPI GT Exhaust

Others:
2006 Corvette Conv, Z51,6sp (wife)
2007 Honda CBR1000RR Sold
2005 Triumph Daytona 650 (wife) Sold

Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-21-2012, 01:13 PM
burnie35's Avatar
burnie35 burnie35 is offline
Old Timer (Really)
Location: The Villages, Florida
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 352
Mein Auto: 2009 BMW 535i Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim165 View Post
Or just go F10!
I don't know about that, there's just something about the E60 ...
__________________

2009 535i Sport, Jet Black | Cobb Stage 2 Aggressive | Injen DCI | AR Downpipes | BMS Led Angel Eyes | Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus
2008 528i (Retired)
2006 328ci (Retired)
1975 US Army (Retired)
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-21-2012, 05:36 PM
Wagons_Rock Wagons_Rock is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Silver Spring MD
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 102
Mein Auto: 535xit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceans10 View Post
Everything you mentioned is possible, even the new iDrive.
Can you provide details on how to upgrade iDrive from old style in 2008 E60. Does this include getting the new 4-button arrangement by gear shift, or just updated software.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-21-2012, 08:08 PM
Oceans10's Avatar
Oceans10 Oceans10 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: CT
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,499
Mein Auto: BMW 535i + 535XI wagon
It requires the upgraded HD screen and the iDrive program which is on a flash memory drive. You need to install those, then have the car coded so it accepts the new settings. A few companies do this as part of the full upgrade kit. I'll get the names and revert. I think the whole retro fit job is around $2,000.
__________________
Audio: Jehnert Flatline speakers, Mobridge M1000 DA2 prepro, Helix P-DSP, Zapco Z-150.6 amp, iDock on dash
Performance: Protuned Cobb, AR Downpipes, ER FMIC/CP, DCI, RB turbos, KW V2 coilovers, AEM 320E LPFP/ported fuel rail
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-22-2012, 05:47 AM
paulo6 paulo6 is offline
Registered User
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 66
Mein Auto: 2008 535xi Mon Blue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim165 View Post
Or just go F10!
Ya I drove the F10 528 (Granted it was not the 535 or 550), I was not impressed...E60 is a much better (read sportier) car for me. Thus thinking of the 2010
__________________
2008 535xi, Monaco Blue
PREMIUM, NAV, SPORT, COMFORT ACCESS, COLD PKG, PARK ASSIST, SAT, COBB S1 Agg.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-22-2012, 10:31 AM
Robert A Robert A is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Los Angeles
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 3,460
Mein Auto: BMW 535d
The F10 is a 5 Series in name only. Simply awful if road feel and handling are important.
__________________
Robert A
BMWCCA Member



Current
2014 535d, M Sport, Space Gray/Mocha Nappa
Prior
2007 530i, White/Black, 6MT
2001 530i, Orient Blue/Beige, 5MT
1994 325is, White/Black 5MT
1984 325e, White/Black 5MT
1983 318i, Delphin/Beige 4MT
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-22-2012, 04:47 PM
paulo6 paulo6 is offline
Registered User
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 66
Mein Auto: 2008 535xi Mon Blue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert A View Post
The F10 is a 5 Series in name only. Simply awful if road feel and handling are important.
Agree, a smaller 7-series it is...plush and comfy....either a F10 M5 or settle for the E60
still contemplating upgrading to a 2010 though....
__________________
2008 535xi, Monaco Blue
PREMIUM, NAV, SPORT, COMFORT ACCESS, COLD PKG, PARK ASSIST, SAT, COBB S1 Agg.

Last edited by paulo6; 09-22-2012 at 04:52 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-22-2012, 09:36 PM
Robert A Robert A is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Los Angeles
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 3,460
Mein Auto: BMW 535d
If it's a smaller 7 Series, then the current 7 is awful, too.

7 Series cars aren't, by definition, rolling couches. I once drove an E38 sport package car and was pleasantly surprised how similar it was to my then-current E39.
__________________
Robert A
BMWCCA Member



Current
2014 535d, M Sport, Space Gray/Mocha Nappa
Prior
2007 530i, White/Black, 6MT
2001 530i, Orient Blue/Beige, 5MT
1994 325is, White/Black 5MT
1984 325e, White/Black 5MT
1983 318i, Delphin/Beige 4MT
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 09-23-2012, 07:38 AM
paulo6 paulo6 is offline
Registered User
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 66
Mein Auto: 2008 535xi Mon Blue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert A View Post
If it's a smaller 7 Series, then the current 7 is awful, too.

7 Series cars aren't, by definition, rolling couches. I once drove an E38 sport package car and was pleasantly surprised how similar it was to my then-current E39.
I woudnt call it aweful, just too plush to my taste compared to the sporty E60. And I am talking about current models here not the E38s. Also and back to the original thread here, F10 are not as quick as current E60s (heavier) (535 vs 535 here)...another reason why I would consider upgrading '08 to a '10 but wouldnt go to the F10, unless I can afford a M5 F10 that is (
__________________
2008 535xi, Monaco Blue
PREMIUM, NAV, SPORT, COMFORT ACCESS, COLD PKG, PARK ASSIST, SAT, COBB S1 Agg.

Last edited by paulo6; 09-23-2012 at 07:45 AM. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09-23-2012, 07:47 AM
NCe61 NCe61 is offline
Registered User
Location: North Carolina
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 65
Mein Auto: '14 335 GT & '12 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulo6 View Post
Not sure its worth it, but probably not...currently own a 2008 535xi sport, premium, nav, etc. with 52K miles and 1 more year to go on CPO..I love the car especially after I COBBed it...I have an opportunity to grab a 2010 535 Xdrive white (Blah), premium, nav, M-sport package, value, comfort access, etc. Also pretty loaded with only 27K miles...ASKING $42K, and I am sue I can knock a few grand out of it....is it worth it??? Things inticing me: Newer Nav, M-sport, Ipod interation and of course miles and warranty, other than that Im getting same as what I have already...I owe about $25K on my car
I recently traded my '08 535xiT for a '10 535xiT, and am happy I did. The updated iDrive and iPod integration are major improvements over the '08, which I really appreciated on a recent 5,000 mile road trip. The CPO warranty on my '08 was about to expire, and now I have a couple of years of factory warranty on the '10, plus the full CPO warranty. A motivator for me is that I like the 5 series wagon, and BMW stopped sending them to the US after the '10 model year.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 09-23-2012, 07:56 AM
paulo6 paulo6 is offline
Registered User
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 66
Mein Auto: 2008 535xi Mon Blue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCe61 View Post
I recently traded my '08 535xiT for a '10 535xiT, and am happy I did. The updated iDrive and iPod integration are major improvements over the '08, which I really appreciated on a recent 5,000 mile road trip. The CPO warranty on my '08 was about to expire, and now I have a couple of years of factory warranty on the '10, plus the full CPO warranty. A motivator for me is that I like the 5 series wagon, and BMW stopped sending them to the US after the '10 model year.
Thanks...Good points. If I can get good $$ for my current one and am able to knock a few $000 off the white '10 I will probably go for it
__________________
2008 535xi, Monaco Blue
PREMIUM, NAV, SPORT, COMFORT ACCESS, COLD PKG, PARK ASSIST, SAT, COBB S1 Agg.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 09-23-2012, 08:11 AM
Robert A Robert A is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Los Angeles
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 3,460
Mein Auto: BMW 535d
I'm in very much the same boat as you, although I'm looking at an 2007 530i --> 2010 535i M Sport move. I want the upgraded performance as well as the new iDrive/navigation system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulo6 View Post
I woudnt call it aweful, just too plush to my taste compared to the sporty E60. And I am talking about current models here not the E38s. Also and back to the original thread here, F10 are not as quick as current E60s (heavier) (535 vs 535 here)...another reason why I would consider upgrading '08 to a '10 but wouldnt go to the F10, unless I can afford a M5 F10 that is (
__________________
Robert A
BMWCCA Member



Current
2014 535d, M Sport, Space Gray/Mocha Nappa
Prior
2007 530i, White/Black, 6MT
2001 530i, Orient Blue/Beige, 5MT
1994 325is, White/Black 5MT
1984 325e, White/Black 5MT
1983 318i, Delphin/Beige 4MT
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 09-23-2012, 12:10 PM
bajanjack bajanjack is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: New Jersey
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 288
Mein Auto: 2010 535i msport/xdrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulo6 View Post
Not sure its worth it, but probably not...currently own a 2008 535xi sport, premium, nav, etc. with 52K miles and 1 more year to go on CPO..I love the car especially after I COBBed it...I have an opportunity to grab a 2010 535 Xdrive white (Blah), premium, nav, M-sport package, value, comfort access, etc. Also pretty loaded with only 27K miles...ASKING $42K, and I am sue I can knock a few grand out of it....is it worth it??? Things inticing me: Newer Nav, M-sport, Ipod interation and of course miles and warranty, other than that Im getting same as what I have already...I owe about $25K on my car
Fwiw I bought my 2010 msport off of my lease for $42k (41k miles) including CPO and extended maintenance. Drove the F10- not for me.
__________________
Dinan Stage 2
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:44 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms