Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 09-10-2012, 10:35 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 X5 30i
2009 CPO X5 pricing tips

Going to the dealership to negotiate this car:

Year: 2009
Color: Silver
Mileage: 38000
Packages:
- Premium
- Cold Weather
- Navigation
- Rear Climate Control
- iPod/USB
- Towing

50k/4 yr maintenance till: 07/25/2013
100k/6 yr CPO warranty till: 07/25/2015

Sticker: $39980
Current Price: $37900

Need tips on negotiating for lower price. $37900 is a bit too high for this car.
Will it be too low if I start with $34k with a upper limit of $35k ?

Thanks a lot for your expert advice!
Ads by Google
Old 09-11-2012, 10:34 AM

Some more negotiation and they are down to 36700....wondering if that's a good price!
Old 09-11-2012, 02:16 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: A box with 4 circles
-how's the price compared to other cars in that spec? Try to find that and maybe some kbb prices? Remember also that cpo=BMW silver extended warranty they sell for new cars

Why does this matter?
CAUSE EVERY TIME someone says Lexus has better build quality, one should consider what Toyota their Lexus Engine and chassis platform comes out of and how long that part has been tested in the real world!
Old 09-23-2012, 11:12 AM

Price for CPO is higher in this area due to limited number of dealerships and inventory.
After some more research I decided to buy from NY/NJ area where low mileage lease return are in relatively more supply than here in Albany, NY.

Got a 2009 CPO X5 with premium, tech, cold weather, rear climate, ipod/usb with 20267 miles for $36250. Hope this was a good deal. Dealer did not negotiate much from advertised price as it was already below KBB CPO retail.
Really happy with the car..and hope for the best now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoI4plz View Post
-how's the price compared to other cars in that spec? Try to find that and maybe some kbb prices? Remember also that cpo=BMW silver extended warranty they sell for new cars
Old 09-23-2012, 02:48 PM
'12 X5 35d Black-on-Black

Mein Auto: X5d Ski Machine-Blk Betty
Quote:
Wholesale is $28,500 on average for the 3.5 version & $32K for the V8 version so it depends on which engine. I don't see anything in here showing the engine. Did I overlooked something? Also, didn't the '09 3.5 engine have some issues?

'12 X5d Sapphire/Black/Bamboo, Sport (ZAP), Premium (ZPP) & Premium Sound(ZPS) packages: 20" 214's, OEM Hitch
'11 Victory Ness Cross Country!!!
GONE - '06 750Li Sapphire Black/Creme&Black (Loadeddddd)
Old 09-23-2012, 05:21 PM

It is 3.0L...didn't mention it earlier...sorry!

With the color, mileage and all options added here are the numbers from different guides:
Edmunds: 38900 fo retail and 41k for CPO (excellent)
KBB: 38925 for CPO (excellent)
NADA: 39200 for clean retail

Car was priced at 38500 and there were not much negotiation here. There were some minor cosmetic issues with rear bumper which I used to get some leverage.

As for the engine issues on 2009 X5, that is a news for me. It was really something big, then I guess ..fingers crossed and hope for the best>
Checked recall history and found one about rear brake discs which affected only 96 units.
Will appreciate if you have some info to share in this regard. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndabunka View Post
Wholesale is $28,500 on average for the 3.5 version & $32K for the V8 version so it depends on which engine. I don't see anything in here showing the engine. Did I overlooked something? Also, didn't the '09 3.5 engine have some issues?
Old 09-23-2012, 05:36 PM

Mein Auto: A box with 4 circles
2009 had the n52b30

naturally aspirated 3.0

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_N52#N52B30

Kanishk nice purchase especially working locally in Albany. The engine is good one, tried and tested on many other series. Plus u have plenty of warranty on it. Do note, if ur dealer has a good service rep, u should probably take care of all problems u encounter before cpo kicks in. Once the cpo kicks in, u have to worry bout deductibles, and then fine print in regards to what's covered.

Enjoy such a beautiful vehicle!

Why does this matter?
CAUSE EVERY TIME someone says Lexus has better build quality, one should consider what Toyota their Lexus Engine and chassis platform comes out of and how long that part has been tested in the real world!

Last edited by NoI4plz; 09-23-2012 at 05:39 PM.
Old 09-23-2012, 05:49 PM

Mein Auto: German
I'm surprised that an 09 still costs so much.

OP, why not try to get something 10+. You get the newer iDrive. I'm sure you can get a LCI model for not much more with the better 35i. The 3.0i is a horrible engine for the X5
Old 09-23-2012, 07:20 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanishk View Post
It is 3.0L...didn't mention it earlier...sorry!

With the color, mileage and all options added here are the numbers from different guides:
Edmunds: 38900 fo retail and 41k for CPO (excellent)
KBB: 38925 for CPO (excellent)
NADA: 39200 for clean retail

Car was priced at 38500 and there were not much negotiation here. There were some minor cosmetic issues with rear bumper which I used to get some leverage.
These pricing services are 'in the bag' for dealers...

Dealers NEVER pay close to the trade in prices, they are 10-20% (or more) under the trade ins...yet dealers will point to the inflated 'retail' and 'cpo' numbers and sat 'you're killing us'

Dont ever rely on KBB, Edmunds, nada, etc...pure spin to support used car prices

IMO
Old 09-24-2012, 05:26 PM

Tried 2010 X5s first and realized that a CPO 2010 X5 with around 20k miles and tech, premium, cold weather, rear climate are posted in 45-48k range. They are also a bit difficult to find since lease returns are not much in supply yet.

I am not an expert in BMWs but it seem like for used CPOs, finding the right vehicle is a bit challenging due to the packages one wants, mileage etc.

As for engine.....not sure what you mean by "3.0i is a horrible engine for the X5". Maybe you mean less power as compared to 35i?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoUnion View Post
I'm surprised that an 09 still costs so much.

OP, why not try to get something 10+. You get the newer iDrive. I'm sure you can get a LCI model for not much more with the better 35i. The 3.0i is a horrible engine for the X5
Old 09-24-2012, 05:28 PM

Thanks for the useful link....getting into bimmers is a kind of cool experience esp. with the forums and responses here.

I will check for any issues and also read more about the CPO deductibles.

Quote:
2009 had the n52b30

naturally aspirated 3.0

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_N52#N52B30

Kanishk nice purchase especially working locally in Albany. The engine is good one, tried and tested on many other series. Plus u have plenty of warranty on it. Do note, if ur dealer has a good service rep, u should probably take care of all problems u encounter before cpo kicks in. Once the cpo kicks in, u have to worry bout deductibles, and then fine print in regards to what's covered.

Enjoy such a beautiful vehicle!
Old 09-24-2012, 05:46 PM

Mein Auto: German
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanishk View Post
As for engine.....not sure what you mean by "3.0i is a horrible engine for the X5". Maybe you mean less power as compared to 35i?
Underpowered, lackluster MPG. 35i is more economical, faster, sounds better and is newer.
Old 09-25-2012, 07:46 AM
2 Bimmers R better than 1

Mein Auto: 12 MSPT 535 & MSPT X5 5.0
If u go for a cpo ask the deal for a "vmi"
Vehicle master inquiry minus previous customers personal information
This will tell u every single issue with this particular vehicle up to date as long as they have been going to a BMW dealership throughout

In my experience most sales guys will say they can't get u this info, then u tell them u want just the vehicle info not previous customers info, names etc

If they really want to sell u the vehicle then they will produce this info
If not there's a good chance this car has had multiple issues that they do not want u to see

Ps car fax is not the same...FYI

Vmi or walk

Hope this helps

Rob

2012 Msport X5 +Prem Sound+Cold Weather+Top/Side Cameras+Soft Close Doors+BMW Apps