Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 09-21-2012, 11:52 PM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Quote:
Originally Posted by z_driver View Post
that doc's for three years, April 2008- April of 2011.
I couldn't find anything newer.

Quote:
I suspect that's for rebranding.
I never understood brake pad rebranding.Seems to me the friction code should prevent us from being confused by the extensive use of brake Marketing rebranding but even AMEC is in cohoots with the brake marketeers.

For example, this document says the following about rebranding tests:
- AMEC Manufacturers Guide
Quote:
"If the material is produced for other companies ... this information is considered to be proprietary and will not be released"

Quote:
Be interesting to see what the Akebonos have imprinted 'under' their cover.
Indeed!

Quote:
Maybe the law applies to pads only?
I hope not. But, we'd have to see some more shoes to be sure.

EDIT: This textbook on brake friction coefficients implies the edge code should be printed on the shoes:
- Brake Friction Theory textbook (pdf)

Quote:
Brake pads and shoes have markings on the edges that give the approximate coefficient of friction at low and high temperatures.

Notice that this textbook says that you want the SAME cold & hot coefficients, which would imply that EF is not as good as EE or FF.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	amec.png
Views:	360
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	342833   Click image for larger version

Name:	textbook.png
Views:	366
Size:	375.0 KB
ID:	342835  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Textbook_on_Friction_Brake_Theory.pdf (6.41 MB, 128 views)
Your job, in return, is to read the suggested threads, where the best people will always add value to those threads, either by pictures or by descriptions, so the next person with the same problem stands on your shoulders.
See also: E39 Bestlinks & How to easily find what you need

Last edited by bluebee; 09-22-2012 at 12:12 AM. Reason: Added textbook on brake friction theory
Old 09-23-2012, 06:32 PM

Mein Auto: 528i
Jurid shoes

Well, here is a picture of the Jurid pads I replaced with Centic's. In general appearance the Jurids seem to be of higher quality and they have friction code markings that seem to correlate with pad regulations. HG in this case. Again, the Centric's had only a part code and date.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	_DSC0950.JPG
Views:	347
Size:	130.6 KB
ID:	343000  
Old 09-23-2012, 07:00 PM
Banned

Mein Auto: VW
I'm surprised I did not find your Bosch edge code markings
Old 09-23-2012, 08:14 PM

Mein Auto: 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christop55her View Post
I'm surprised I did not find your Bosch edge code markings
Yeah, not sure what to make of that other than that particular PDF doesn't appear to be the latest version. 

My rudimentary attempt to decipher the code yeilds: (B)osch(N)orth(A)merica(Q)uietcast(1213)some proprietary formula(FF)OE equivalent friction rating.
Old 09-23-2012, 09:56 PM

Quote:
HG in this case
Good! The document above indicated that both pads and shoes should have the edge code.

BTW, "H" is by far the highest friction grade we've seen yet!

Sorry about not finding a later PDF that might have Bosch covered.
Your job, in return, is to read the suggested threads, where the best people will always add value to those threads, either by pictures or by descriptions, so the next person with the same problem stands on your shoulders.
Old 11-27-2012, 12:40 PM

It's nice to know this thread helped someone today on the E46 forum:
> E46 (1999 - 2006) > Brake pads need changing ...which ones to buy???
Old 11-27-2012, 02:43 PM
BMW ****ie

Mein Auto: 530i Sport Package
I just installed HAWK Performance Ceramic Pads.

Grade = FF

Reading suggests normal street driving doesn't rise to the occasion for FF. I think FF is the lowest track grade for racing cars. They should last a long time on street cars. I imagine track cars' brakes get much hotter than street driving. Hence the need for pads that retain their friction at higher temps.

Last edited by seemyad; 11-27-2012 at 02:48 PM.
Old 02-23-2013, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Jurid Shoes: Well, here is a picture of the Jurid pads I replaced with Centic's. In general appearance the Jurids seem to be of higher quality and they have friction code markings that seem to correlate with pad regulations. HG in this case. Again, the Centric's had only a part code and date.

For the record, this was posted today:
Quote:
Originally Posted by waehrik View Post
I just bought a set of Wagner Quickstop Z831 shoes for $20.46

Last edited by bluebee; 02-24-2013 at 11:04 PM.
Old 03-11-2013, 03:55 AM

Does the friction rating tell us anything about fading?

This was posted today:
Quote:
Originally Posted by senser View Post
Akebono's FADE like crazy for me under hard driving.
Looking up the friction ratings, the recommended Akebonos have the highest shown (GG).

But does that tell us anything about fade?
Old 03-11-2013, 02:51 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2001 530i
Check the notes at the bottom of this document.

I've put about 70,000 miles on a set of Akebonos, and I have never noticed brake fade. My 530i has the same brakes as the 540i That said, the 530i is somewhat lighter than the 540i and I don't drive that hard.
OSRAM CBI

BMWCCA Member #337964

Last edited by Steve530; 03-11-2013 at 03:53 PM.
Old 03-11-2013, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve530 View Post
Check the notes at the bottom of this document.
OK. So, the friction code 'is' also a fade code, of sorts:

The top clearly says:
Quote:
This two letter edge code mandated by the DOT, and painted on all street legal brake pads, will give you some indication of their ability to resist fade. But only if you know how to read them. However, because of the wide range involved in each letter, it is only a rough indication.

The bottom says:
Quote:
The second letter of the code represents the hot friction coefficient based on a fade and recovery test. We all should know what brake fade is. If you've ever had to use the front brake extensively and found that its effectiveness quickly diminished, that's fade. Recovery is basically the period where the brakes are gradually cooling off.
Lastly, it says a GG fades very rarely in the charts.

So, like many people, I suspect the poster is mistaken about the GG pads fading on him.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ff.jpg
Views:	626
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	368537   Click image for larger version

Name:	bluebee_rear_brakes_27.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	457780  

Last edited by bluebee; 08-10-2014 at 07:07 PM.
Old 03-29-2014, 02:49 PM

While the friction grades are not (by any means) perfect, my thoughts on reviews of brake pad braking characteristics is summarized by this post today, which requested that anyone who installs brake pads on their E39, please post a picture of the friction ratings for this thread, so that we all benefit.

- Yet Another Brake Thread - Performance Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebee View Post
I do realize everyone's personality is quite different, and that mine is probably way off the charts for this forum audience ..... so, please take this only from me, a well-educated but Aspergers individual, who only believes in reproducible scientific truth, as much as it may exist.

I sometimes skim Tire Rack and other user reviews, but, almost always, I either laugh or cry at the sheer and utter garbage that is spewed out by the "boy racers" who write them.

Bearing in mind that almost everyone thinks they're better drivers than average (which is statistically impossible), the reviews seem to be written mostly by little boys who feel that they can, somehow, without any instruments or measurements whatsoever, write anything useful about the "bite" of a pad that they currently have on their vehicle.

Notwithstanding the clear fact that most of those boy racers don't even have the basic vocabulary to properly describe the brake bite, they still can't possibly tell me anything that the friction ratings don't already tell me, with respect to cold and hot friction (which is what a brake pad is all about).

Me?

I would simply go by the well-tested and reproducible friction ratings of the pads when it comes to braking forces. (I would also simply buy plain solid rotors since the friction coefficients are essentially the same for all carbon steel rotors.)

- What's the real difference between drilled, slotted, and solid rotors (1) & what's the difference between various brands of solid rotors (1)

What I would ask YOU to do though, since you've already ordered your pads, is to post a picture of the FRICTION RATINGS of the pads you do finally get, before you install them.

Then post that picture to this thread, so the rest of us benefit from your efforts.
- What friction grade (e.g., EE, FF, EF, etc.) is recommended for BMW E39 brake pads (1)
Old 04-10-2014, 10:53 AM
aioros

Mein Auto: '99 528i auto , '01 330xi
napa ultra premium brake pads

napa ceramic brake pads are made by akebono. most of their pads are rated FF
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20140410_084646.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	103.9 KB
ID:	432981  
Old 04-22-2014, 09:02 PM

Here's further confirmation of the GG friction ratings of the Akebono Euro:
> E39 (1997 - 2003) > Brake Parts Arrived Today
Quote:
Originally Posted by helmet75 View Post
2- Akebono Euro Ceramic- GG rated ( I thought they were FF, but printed on the pad is GG). I'll take it although I'll probably never get them that hot.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ake_euro_ceramic_eur918_l.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	435252  

Last edited by bluebee; 04-22-2014 at 10:46 PM.
Old 04-22-2014, 10:28 PM

For the record, the StopTech friction ratings are described here:
> E39 (1997 - 2003) > Yet Another Brake Thread - Performance Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by München View Post
So the StopTech Street Performance pad have arrived and I can confirm they are indeed FF. For you Bluebee.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	stoptech.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	357.2 KB
ID:	435251  

Last edited by bluebee; 04-22-2014 at 10:38 PM.
Old 05-26-2014, 07:55 PM

Someone who just replaced E39 brake pads posted the first ever on Bimmerfest picture of FE pads over in this thread today:
> E39 (1997 - 2003) > Rebate on Bosch Brake Pads
Quote:
Originally Posted by rexgo View Post
FYI - Purchased new pads from Autohaus - Bosch QuietCast™ and rec'd a $15 rebate per pair - so after rebates it's front & rear pads for ~$38 total

BTW - very easy replacement - easier than most cars I've done - thanks for the forum's help. (I already had a 7MM)
Maybe someone, who knows more than i do, can
explain what the implications of the FE friction rating will be as compared to the FF of the OEM pads.
Old 08-10-2014, 07:08 PM

This thread today shows a set of rear Pagid Reds, from Bavarian Autosport, so we asked the OP to snap a picture of the friction rating stamp...
> E39 (1997 - 2003) > Removing the Rear Brake Caliper Guide bolt