Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 09-24-2012, 09:25 AM

Mein Auto: bmw 328xi
Seats

Hi All,
I'm in the process of finalizing purchase of 2013 528xi and a bit confused with the seat options. Can you please comment on the differences between standard 2013 seats and
Multi-contour seats? How bad or good the standard seats are?
Advertisement
Old 09-24-2012, 09:46 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 535ix M-sport
If you never experianced the comfort seats, you can live without them. However, once you have them you will never go back. I would say get the comfort seats. The luxury seating adds ventilation and active seats (butt message).
Old 09-24-2012, 10:54 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 535xi 2013 X3 35i
The standard seats are not too bad, but the multi contour seats takes it to another level comfort wise. If you use your car for a lot of long trips, the multi contour seats are almost a must have.
Old 09-24-2012, 01:16 PM
Ride On!

Mein Auto: 2012 535i MSport
I completely agree with the responses thus far. You will be fine without them but they do look and feel cheap-ish for what you would expect from this level of vehicles. But if you can swing the $2k+ upgrade...you will not regret it.

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Bimmer App

BMWCCA #474327

2012 F10 535i MSport
mods: Vollkommen front lip|M5 grill|M5 exhaust|M5 diffuser|Vibrant resonator|BMS stage 1|ACS springs|Suntek full front-end clearbra|FormulaOne Pinnacle tint 35%|clear reflectors|rear fog light switch|JBL ms-8 audio processor|Morel subwoofer
Old 09-24-2012, 03:55 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyclePimps View Post
I completely agree with the responses thus far. You will be fine without them but they do look and feel cheap-ish for what you would expect from this level of vehicles. But if you can swing the $2k+ upgrade...you will not regret it.
Personally, I have the standard seats, in cinnamon Dakota leather. While the multi-contour seats do have several more adjustments, they don't look all that different from the standard seats, and don't look at all cheap to me. Same leather on both seats. If you're referring to the Nappa upgrade, that's a whole different topic.

2014 535i Individual | Azurite Black/Amaro Brown Merino | Premium | Cold | PDC | Rear Camera | Anthracite Hdr
Prior: 2011 535i AT | Black Sapphire/Cinnamon | Premium | Heated Sts | Nav | Sirius | Anthracite Hdr & Trim
Prior: 2008 335i 6MT Sedan | Black Sapphire/Terra Leather | Premium | Cold | CA | OEM Alarm
Prior: 2005 330i 6MT | Black Sapphire/Sand Leather | Premium | Cold | UGO | OEM Alarm
Old 09-24-2012, 04:04 PM
cor door sedan

Mein Auto: 2013 550i xDrive
The adjustable upper back is a feature I would very much miss if I had the standard seats.

-Corey
Old 09-24-2012, 04:11 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 535i MSport
+1 on the adjustable upper back.

Actually +2 since my passenger loves it too.
Old 09-24-2012, 04:28 PM

Mein Auto: A box with 4 circles
Comfort seats on BMWs are remarkable. Once you plant yourself on them, you will wonder how you drove anything without em. The standard seats are good, but seem uncomfortable on long drives. Although you didn't ask, but the only reasons I wouldn't get the seats are a) price wise b) the car would be used for relatively short distances, where the benefit of the seats wouldn't be fully utilized. c) plan on keeping the car after warranty (less components to fail).

Good luck!

Why does this matter?
CAUSE EVERY TIME someone says Lexus has better build quality, one should consider what Toyota their Lexus Engine and chassis platform comes out of and how long that part has been tested in the real world!
Old 09-24-2012, 05:00 PM
0-60 in 4 secs or less!

Mein Auto: '13 X5M, 650xi
+2 on the adjustable upper back. I never had a car where the headrest was actually a place to rest your head comfortably while driving.

2013 X5M ........ 2013 650xi ...... 2011 550xi (ret) 2011 335d (ret)
Old 09-24-2012, 05:25 PM

Mein Auto: I'm still dreaming....
Are the 5- and 7-series multi contour seats significantly more comfortable than the 6-series, especially for longer drives?

If so, would the difference be a deal breaker?
Old 09-24-2012, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace535i View Post
Are the 5- and 7-series multi contour seats significantly more comfortable than the 6-series, especially for longer drives?

If so, would the difference be a deal breaker?
I would think so, as the X5 has the new seats from the 7. So I'm guessing, with that seat platform sharing, the 6 would have the same, but I don't have a clue sorry.

Why does this matter?
CAUSE EVERY TIME someone says Lexus has better build quality, one should consider what Toyota their Lexus Engine and chassis platform comes out of and how long that part has been tested in the real world!
Old 09-24-2012, 10:40 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 550i
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunderhi View Post
+2 on the adjustable upper back. I never had a car where the headrest was actually a place to rest your head comfortably while driving.
Haha, that was my first reaction when I first sat in the multi contour seat in our E60. You can't go without them once you sat in one.

I also like how you can fold in the headrest for better lateral head/neck support.

2013 BMW 550i
Titanium Silver | Black | M Sport
Old 09-24-2012, 11:39 PM

Mein Auto: F11 530D
The comfort seats belong on the top of the list of must haves.
They add more to the driving experience of the car than lots of other stuff.
Remember, 100% of the time using the car you use the seat.
And these are just very good.
As people have stated in these forums they are the best in the market.
So do you need them, no, you do not need a BMW remember.
If you buy a five series BMW, get them!
Old 09-25-2012, 03:42 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 X5 50 M sport
multicontour seat are great, but it depend on ur perspective
i d personally spend 2-3 K and upgrade to 535xi cause 528 xi is underpowered/IMO/
i would rather drive 535 w regular seat vs 528 w comfort seat
just my 2 c
2010-2012 GLK 350/wife/
2008-2011-328XI
2004-2007-CLK55
2007-2010-X3 3.0
2001-2004-A8 4.2
2004-2007 X5 3.0/E53/
1999-2001-SL500
1996-1999-ML320 4MATIC
1992-1995-VOLVO 850 TURBO
1990-1992-525I
1987-1990-OLDSMOBILE CS
1981-1987-LADA/VAZ 2103

Last edited by alex md; 09-25-2012 at 03:44 PM.
Old 09-25-2012, 04:36 PM
The Driver

Mein Auto: 2014 M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophisto View Post
The comfort seats belong on the top of the list of must haves.
They add more to the driving experience of the car than lots of other stuff.
Remember, 100% of the time using the car you use the seat.
And these are just very good.
As people have stated in these forums they are the best in the market.
So do you need them, no, you do not need a BMW remember.
If you buy a five series BMW, get them!
Agree. The seats are a very important option.

2014 ///M5 Individual
Frozen Grey, Silverstone Full Merino, Piano Black, Exec Pkg, Drivers assistance pkg, LED Package, Bang and Olufsen, 20" Forged wheels
Old 09-25-2012, 08:36 PM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoI4plz View Post
I would think so, as the X5 has the new seats from the 7. So I'm guessing, with that seat platform sharing, the 6 would have the same, but I don't have a clue sorry.
Judging by your post, you really don't. The x5 has nothing from the 7. The 5 GT does.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 09-25-2012, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
Judging by your post, you really don't. The x5 has nothing from the 7. The 5 GT does.

Mfgs tend to keeps certain systems as close as possible, to spread the platform r&d costs. In regards the X5, the E70 had two versions thru its lifecycle. Multi contour seats were originally introduced as comfort seats on the E65 7 series. When the e70 was introduced, the comfort seats were designed from the original design of the e65. Following the introduction of the f01 the comfort seats were redesigned and renamed as the multi-contour seats. This design slowly found its way thru subsequent F- platform introductions such as the 5. During the LCI, BMW designed to refreshed the E70 seat offerings, and switched it over to the modern f-01 based multi-contour seats, currently offered.

Regards,

-N

Why does this matter?
Old 09-25-2012, 11:04 PM

The 6 brings the new design of multi contour seating, which hypothetically means that the seat design will evolve again in the near future for the next LCI models or redesigns. I haven't gotten around to testing the 6, but would imagine it would meet, or even best the current multi-contour seats

Why does this matter?
Old 09-26-2012, 03:43 PM

Quote:
The 6 brings the new design of multi contour seating, which hypothetically means that the seat design will evolve again in the near future for the next LCI models or redesigns. I haven't gotten around to testing the 6, but would imagine it would meet, or even best the current multi-contour seats
Do sit in a 6-series, and share your comparison to the 5-and 7-series multi-contour seats.

Would you be comfortable in a 6er over a long drive?

Old 09-26-2012, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace535i View Post
Do sit in a 6-series, and share your comparison to the 5-and 7-series multi-contour seats.

Would you be comfortable in a 6er over a long drive?

I think if your in the market for a 5 currently, it's up to you, the buyer, to decide whether the multi contour seats adequately address your comfort needs. These needs are physiologically different from person to person, and as such my opinion won't match up exactly to anyone else. That being said, many people with their unique physiological comfort needs have tested the seats, and have agreed that, this by far is one of the most driver tailor-able (not a word but ehh) seats currently offered on the 5. As BMW has not changed the seat design, I think the comparison between the different series is meaningless, as the original idea was to get a midsize sedan with great driving characteristics, not a GT nor a full size luxury sedan. When they do, and if they do we can post on this thread.

However when I do find time, I will certainly try to test the 6s seats, and gather my opinion on that, but I think most of the time will be dedicated to admiring the beauty the 6 brings to the table compared to the last gen! But I will post my experience nonetheless lol!

Why does this matter?
Old 09-26-2012, 08:55 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 F10 535d M-Sport
Comfort seats are one of THE BEST options you can get on a beemer. I've had them on my past 3 Beemers (& have ordered Comfort Seats + heating & cooling) on my coming 535d) & highly recommend them for comfort, support & adjustability. Also recommend the seat heating - really good for people (like me) with bad backs on a long trip.
Old 09-27-2012, 12:06 AM

Quote:
I think if your in the market for a 5 currently, it's up to you, the buyer, to decide whether the multi contour seats adequately address your comfort needs. These needs are physiologically different from person to person, and as such my opinion won't match up exactly to anyone else. That being said, many people with their unique physiological comfort needs have tested the seats, and have agreed that, this by far is one of the most driver tailor-able (not a word but ehh) seats currently offered on the 5. As BMW has not changed the seat design, I think the comparison between the different series is meaningless, as the original idea was to get a midsize sedan with great driving characteristics, not a GT nor a full size luxury sedan. When they do, and if they do we can post on this thread.

However when I do find time, I will certainly try to test the 6s seats, and gather my opinion on that, but I think most of the time will be dedicated to admiring the beauty the 6 brings to the table compared to the last gen! But I will post my experience nonetheless lol!
Old 09-27-2012, 08:23 AM
AT LAW

Mein Auto: 2014 BMW 550xi M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by markl53 View Post
Personally, I have the standard seats, in cinnamon Dakota leather. While the multi-contour seats do have several more adjustments, they don't look all that different from the standard seats, and don't look at all cheap to me. Same leather on both seats. If you're referring to the Nappa upgrade, that's a whole different topic.
I cannot believe you have the audacity to post any comments on this forum if you have regular seats.

This being said, the Multi Contour seats are absolutely outstanding and worth every penny. The seat and headrest literally contour to your body and are one of the best features of the F-10. I believe they are the exact same seat as the Multi Contour offered in the 7.

I would rather have Multi Contour seats than navigation, if I had to choose between the two options.

PREVIOUS BMW'S:

2012 BMW 535xi
2007 BMW 535i
2000 BMW 528i
1991 BMW 318is
Old 10-01-2012, 04:44 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW 535ix GT
Funny - wish I could replace my multi-contours with something that, for the money and praise, had lumbar in the arse area. Feels like I'm sitting in a hole IMO and would love to replace them.
Old 10-01-2012, 05:20 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 535ix and 2011 X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by At Law View Post
I cannot believe you have the audacity to post any comments on this forum if you have regular seats.

This being said, the Multi Contour seats are absolutely outstanding and worth every penny. The seat and headrest literally contour to your body and are one of the best features of the F-10. I believe they are the exact same seat as the Multi Contour offered in the 7.

I would rather have Multi Contour seats than navigation, if I had to choose between the two options.
The 7 seats are still 20 way aren't they? I like the multicontour seats in both the f10 and e70 but one thing the e70 has that the f10 doesn't is the side bolsters...I wish I had these in the f10...