Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 09-24-2012, 08:22 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: F30 328i Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by virus86 View Post
Im going to try and get this reprogram done at a BMW dealership I didnt get my car. If they dont know about it, do I let them know about "SI B12 15 12"? And it seems like its a free reprogram.
which dealer are you going to try and get it done at?
Old 09-25-2012, 03:06 AM
Engineer

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
Yes. And you'll likely need to speak to the manager of the service department as the first two people you speak with won't believe you.

For me, I literally had to show them a thread from this forum along with the bulletin number just to get them to take me seriously. I even had the sales manager offer me the name/number of a local coding guy who could take care of me unofficially.

Go there with a copy of the bulletin and have this thread open in your phone just in case. You'll have to be persistent as it's a new car and a new feature and something the service departments have very little experience with. It's free of charge. You should get a loaner for the day too.

BJ
I read that the recoding only takes at most an hour?

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinnum1 View Post
which dealer are you going to try and get it done at?
Ocala
Old 09-25-2012, 06:43 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 Lexus ES 350
^^ YES to everything BJ said. I had mine programmed this past Saturday and was put in a loaner. I showed my CA the SB long before I took delivery of my car and made sure the service department knew about it. My car was the second one they did.

Delivered!! Order in June 22, 2012. PCD, 2013 335i xDrive Sedan, Mineral Grey Sport Line, Brushed Aluminum with Black Highlight Trim, Black Leatherette w/Red Highlight, Dynamic Handling Package, Tech Package, Sport Transmission w/ Paddle Shifter, Rearview Camera, Park Distance Control, Htd Front Seats & HK Audio.
Old 09-25-2012, 07:10 AM
BMW Platinum Visa® Member

Mein Auto: BMW L328i
Quote:

I read that the recoding only takes at most an hour?
Yes, that's how long it takes to physically do the recode but the process isn't that simple. Service needs to contact BMW for authorization to run the code, and that can take 3-5 hours alone.

I dropped my car off at 8 and had it back by 2. Unless your SA gets advance permission from BMW and has the code ready to go, you're going to be without wheels for several hours.

BJ

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®
Old 09-25-2012, 08:36 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 335i and 2014 X3 35i
Quote:
Yes, that's how long it takes to physically do the recode but the process isn't that simple. Service needs to contact BMW for authorization to run the code, and that can take 3-5 hours alone.

I dropped my car off at 8 and had it back by 2. Unless your SA gets advance permission from BMW and has the code ready to go, you're going to be without wheels for several hours.

BJ
I am going to see if they can do this when the car is delivered from the port and they prep it.

2013 335i Sportline | M-adaptive | HK | NAV | PDC | Heated Front seats |6-speed MT.

2011 X5 35d Great SUV gone

2009 C350 Mercedes Gone 7-31-2012, good car but boooooooooring.

2008 X5 4.8i - Turned in 1/24/11 They created the Lemon law because of this SUV.
Old 09-25-2012, 09:08 AM
Engineer

I called BMW ocala and they are aware of the reprogram, but haven't done it. I have an appointment on Friday.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Bimmer App
Old 09-28-2012, 01:58 PM
Engineer

Done! Dropped it off at 8am and it was done at 4pm. I thought this update was also going to remember user last setting for eco/comfort/sport. Where if I turn off my car in Eco mode, it will turn back on with Eco mode. The car still turns on with Comfort on default. But! User last setting of ASS for Comfort and Sports is saved. I cant complain....it was free.
Old 09-28-2012, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Done! Dropped it off at 8am and it was done at 4pm. I thought this update was also going to remember user last setting for eco/comfort/sport. Where if I turn off my car in Eco mode, it will turn back on with Eco mode. The car still turns on with Comfort on default. But! User last setting of ASS for Comfort and Sports is saved. I cant complain....it was free.
That's correct, that's how it works.

Remembers last setting, always, reverts to Comfort mode, always. The only wrinkle is that if you go into Eco Mode it will turn ASS back on (car assumes you want maximum fuel economy) . So as long as you turn ASS off and only toggle between Comfort and Sport modes you will never have to deal with ASS again.

Since my recode last month, never engaged Eco, thus never have turned ASS back on.

BJ

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®

Last edited by boltjaM3s; 09-28-2012 at 02:56 PM.
Old 09-29-2012, 05:47 PM
Blackdog316

Mein Auto: 2012 328i
The dealer was aware of the service bulletin and adjusted my 2012 328i to "last user mode". I do not like the start / stop feature as I do not live in a heavy traffic area and am not stopped often enough to make a difference. I thought it was too abrupt a start / stop when in use. BMW needs to smooth it out. I did notice if I put the car in Eco mode the Start / Stop feature engages.
Old 09-29-2012, 06:03 PM
Engineer

Now that my car is broken in I started to use the ASS and its a lot smoother than the 328i loaner (2012?). I didnt use the ASS before the recode, so I dont know if the recode helped make it smoother.
Old 09-29-2012, 06:22 PM
BeachBitch

Mein Auto: 2013 640i Gran Coupe
I had this done last week on my 6 GC. I am glad I did. I have no idea why it wasn't programmed this way at design. Oh well at least it got done.

My Car:

1994 E36 Convertible (Inherited from my Loving Father)

2013 640i Gran Coupe
Carbon Black Metallic
Ivory White Nappa
Everything but B&O, Night Vision and Active Cruise Control.
Old 09-29-2012, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Now that my car is broken in I started to use the ASS and its a lot smoother than the 328i loaner (2012?). I didnt use the ASS before the recode, so I dont know if the recode helped make it smoother.
The software update helps; but restarts due to the A/C are still too rough to use ASS for me. I'll be leaving it off for the summer and I'll try again once it gets cooler.
Old 09-30-2012, 02:06 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW 328i
Quote:
iDrive assumes that if you want EcoPro mode you definitely want ASS too so it turns it back on. All other modes it 'sticks' the way you left it. I toggle between Sport and Comfort all day, never affects the ASS setting. I don't use EcoPro or ASS, ever.

BJ
I have a 328i but I understand the update is the same for the 335i. Since I often use EcoPro, the last user setting doesn't affect me that much. When I start the car, I turn on EcoPro and turn off ASS. It's very simple and I've become completely used to it.

If the update included Sport, Comfort, and EcoPro, I would be interested. The way it is now, I'm not.
Old 09-30-2012, 03:13 PM

Mein Auto: ~
Quote:
Originally Posted by sekitori View Post
It's very simple and I've become completely used to it.
Indeed. It is absolutely trivial to push a couple of buttons.

With all the whining, one would think it was something important - such as the work it takes to twist off the top of an AriZona Tea bottle. Wholly unreasonable.
Old 09-30-2012, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elk View Post

With all the whining, one would think it was something important - such as the work it takes to twist off the top of an AriZona Tea bottle. Wholly unreasonable.
It was less about the effort involved in hitting the ASS off button and more about BMW trying to shove a feature down our throats that has nothing to do with the driving experience just to help them achieve some lofty mileage target.

Many of us don't care about how many MPG we average or know the price of a gallon of gas. We just want to enjoy our luxury cars without the engine deciding to turn itself off whenever it feels like it.

BJ

Old 09-30-2012, 04:30 PM
it has arrived!

Mein Auto: 2013 bmw 328i xdrive seda
Quote:

Old 09-30-2012, 04:40 PM
it has arrived!

Mein Auto: 2013 bmw 328i xdrive seda
Quote:

Old 10-05-2012, 12:24 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 328d MSport
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogmanF30 View Post
The software update helps; but restarts due to the A/C are still too rough to use ASS for me. I'll be leaving it off for the summer and I'll try again once it gets cooler.
I just dropped off mine this morning as well and my SA stated it was the first one he had done. They gave me a 2013 X3 xdrive2.8i loaner and the start-stop system in this thing is a bit smoother than my 2012 328i. Hopefully it will be at least better by the end of the software update (or I can always just turn it off now ) Something the SA said which sounds contradictory to what I recall reading around the forums is that while performing this update, the normal procedure is to scan all of the cars modules to make sure they have the latest software in them as well. Mine was just built at the end of May so I'm not sure this will apply to me but thought it was interesting they claim to check them (unless the way the update occurs requires this). Either way, I'm excited to see the difference!

2014 328d M-Sport ED: 5/2/2014
2013 F30 Activehybrid3 MSport (Gone)
2012 F30 328i Sportline (Gone)
Old 10-05-2012, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arktctr View Post
I just dropped off mine this morning as well and my SA stated it was the first one he had done. They gave me a 2013 X3 xdrive2.8i loaner and the start-stop system in this thing is a bit smoother than my 2012 328i. Hopefully it will be at least better by the end of the software update (or I can always just turn it off now ) Something the SA said which sounds contradictory to what I recall reading around the forums is that while performing this update, the normal procedure is to scan all of the cars modules to make sure they have the latest software in them as well. Mine was just built at the end of May so I'm not sure this will apply to me but thought it was interesting they claim to check them (unless the way the update occurs requires this). Either way, I'm excited to see the difference!
Yes, they scan and upgrade all of the modules that have updates.
Old 10-10-2012, 11:33 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 Alpine White MT 328i
In order to not delay delivery, I picked up the car today without this update. And let me say that ASS is VERY ANNOYING and VERY BADLY IMPLEMENTED.

And yes, I'm singing a different tune now that I've tried ASS first hand on MT. Earlier I was all about the eco friendly aspect of it. But it just wrecks the driving experience - the start/stop is too jolty (this is probably not even a word).

Will just have to remember to turn it off every time I start, till I get time to drop it off for this update.

Last edited by 328i2013; 10-10-2012 at 11:37 PM.
Old 10-11-2012, 12:02 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 328i Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by arktctr View Post
Curious which dealership? I'd like to take mine to be reprogrammed and it might be easier if the place has done this at least once.
2002 M3
1988 BMW 325is
Never again anything larger than a 3 series sedan.
Old 10-11-2012, 06:42 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 335i and 2014 X3 35i
After driving the car now for a couple of days, i have to say i don't mind ASS at all. With the Manual all you have to do is just start to press the clutch and the engine fires right up. Also if you are in stop and go traffic again with the manual you can just depress the clutch a little and then the car never shuts off, so its not issue. I can see where it might be an issue with you Auto types.

In addition I think the 335i may have a smoother system, most likely due to the engine. hardly notice the startup.

2013 335i Sportline | M-adaptive | HK | NAV | PDC | Heated Front seats |6-speed MT.

2011 X5 35d Great SUV gone

2009 C350 Mercedes Gone 7-31-2012, good car but boooooooooring.

2008 X5 4.8i - Turned in 1/24/11 They created the Lemon law because of this SUV.

Last edited by windsor027; 10-11-2012 at 06:43 AM.
Old 10-11-2012, 10:39 AM

Mein Auto: Acura
I just had mine done, its way better now. Also seems I got some software changes with the lights flashing more when I open the trunk and such.
Old 10-11-2012, 04:43 PM
Not Wearing Pants

Mein Auto: Moped
Tried to get mine done last weekend. Dealer called me after fixing something else to tell me I'd have to come during the week as they couldn't do it without BMW's help.

My dad said my 328i feels like a tractor starting up with A.S.S.
Old 10-11-2012, 06:38 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 328d MSport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorenzzo View Post
Curious which dealership? I'd like to take mine to be reprogrammed and it might be easier if the place has done this at least once.
Got it done at Irvine BMW...

2014 328d M-Sport ED: 5/2/2014
2013 F30 Activehybrid3 MSport (Gone)
2012 F30 328i Sportline (Gone)