Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > Off-Topic

Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime safe" and in good taste. No personal attacks allowed. Political posting is restricted to the Political Science forum!

Old 09-25-2012, 06:34 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 4Runner-BMW
I'm going to repeat what EVERYONE told the Seahawks fans back in 2006 when bad calls went OUR way in a game that actually MEANT something, where the REAL officials totally blew SB40th and even ADMITTED that they blew that game..and here it is...-->

Get over it. Bad calls happen. Quit yer goddamn whining and move on. It's over. We won. Bad calls happen with replacement refs, with real refs.

If your team gave up 8 sacks you have MUCH bigger issues than a badly reffed game.
Old 09-25-2012, 06:47 AM
Please, call me Brian.

Mein Auto: Ducati 916
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsdad View Post
I'm going to repeat what EVERYONE told the Seahawks fans back in 2006 when bad calls went OUR way in a game that actually MEANT something, where the REAL officials totally blew SB40th and even ADMITTED that they blew that game..and here it is...-->

Get over it. Bad calls happen. Quit yer goddamn whining and move on. It's over. We won. Bad calls happen with replacement refs, with real refs.

If your team gave up 8 sacks you have MUCH bigger issues than a badly reffed game.
You cant be serious?
The Seahawks didn't win anything. Yeah they gave up 8 sacks, in the first half. Did you watch the 2nd half? The half where up until a bunch of scabs threw it away your Seahawks did absolutely nothing? Did you actually see the replays? The ones that left absolutely 0, none, no-possible-way-in-hell that it could be construed as being a TD? The one that literally one person in the entire world didn't see clearly? Yeah, the refs stole the game and gave it to the losing team.

The issue isn't even just about the Packers, its about the fact that a bunch of refs are going unpunished for possibly making the worst call in NFL officiating history last night, after spending a week potentially ruining the outcome of multiple games.

Old 09-25-2012, 07:05 AM

Get over it. The refs threw so many bad calls on the Hawks secondary in the 2nd half that ALLOWED GB to move the ball. That pass interference crappy call was the WORST call of the game, it allowed GB to score 6, but noooooooo, no one is saying a fricking WORD about that crappy call.

We won. Get over it.

Last edited by Sportsdad; 09-25-2012 at 07:10 AM.
Old 09-25-2012, 07:15 AM

Mein Auto: '04 330i ZHP
Horrendous. Absolutely laughable to get that call wrong after reviewing it. The Commish needs to go. He's a clown.
Old 09-25-2012, 07:16 AM
Need Some Low

Mein Auto: 1996 328is
You're completely missing the point.

Nobody won last night. The refs made many bad calls last night that could've changed the outcome. That last call was the icing on the sh*t cake baked all game long.

The shot heard 'round the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by E36 Phantom View Post
That presenter is getting waaay too worked up over a tarted up VW Golf.

C:\>Sent from my 386 using MS-DOS__
Old 09-25-2012, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnserioJose View Post
You're completely missing the point.

Nobody won last night. The refs made many bad calls last night that could've changed the outcome. That last call was the icing on the sh*t cake baked all game long.

Quote:
NFL ref admits mistakes in 2006 Super Bowl
The veteran official began an annual training-camp rules interpretation session with the Seattle media after practice on Friday by bringing up the subject without being asked.

It was a tough thing for me. I kicked two calls in the fourth quarter and I impacted the game, and as an official you never want to do that, said the veteran of 15 NFL seasons and two Super Bowls.

It left me with a lot of sleepless nights, and I think about it constantly, Leavy said of the February 2006 game. Ill go to my grave wishing that Id been better.
Old 09-25-2012, 07:46 AM
Drives cars for a living!

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 335i
Quote:

Penalties are not reviewable. In this game it was a possession call, and that is reviewable.

Big difference. They had a chance to make it right, and failed.
Old 09-25-2012, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Test_Engineer View Post
Penalties are not reviewable. In this game it was a possession call, and that is reviewable.

Incorrect. They reviewed to see IF there was possession, not WHO had possession. The ref on the field already indicated TD. The booth reviewed possesion to confirm a TD.

Get over it. Move on.
Old 09-25-2012, 08:07 AM
The Entertainment Guru

Send a message via Yahoo to TXSTYLE
Mein Auto: 750i (F01)
Quote:

Yep. Apparently sportsdad is blinded by the fact he's a fan of the alleged winning team.
Unfortunately for him and all other disillusioned Seahawks fans... They lost that game! They were "given the win by the incompetent refs". If you can't admit that, your input can not be taken seriously in this thread.

Oh and everyone can Call Roger Goodell at 212-450-2027, courtesy of Clay Matthews. Feel free to leave a message or two.

BigMarcus ~ EVO 4G LTE
Old 09-25-2012, 08:17 AM

Mein Auto: 04 325i ZSP
I know this is old news now, but yet another example of the horrible refs....

They mis spotted the ball by TWELVE YARDS on the final drive of the game

I'm not complaining, because you can still argue the theory the bad calls affect everyone equally, and you have to make the best of it and play around it.

HOWEVER, this is unprecedented, and I think it is fair to say the refs altered the outcome of what, at least 3 games in the past week? The Lions game was decided by a field goal.

The Packers game was decided on a last second play....and isn't there at least one other game?

It is very amusing for me to see the NFL in this way, because they pride themselves on being such consummate professionals. And of course, to the Lions and the Packers calls, they have "no comment".

What could they possibly say? Refs aren't perfect, never have been. Well, that may be true, but mis spotting a ball by 12 yards on a final drive is a mistake that wouldn't be made in a high school game, and its not one of those mistakes where there is some judgment involved (i.e. did the receiver have possesion, were both his feet in, etc)

from Peter King:

In Tennessee, the stunner of all stunners gave the Titans a crucial 12 free yards on what turned out to be the decisive field-goal drive in overtime, the drive that provided the winning points in Tennessee's 44-41 victory. Tennessee had 2nd-and-18 from its 44, and Jake Locker threw what was ruled a 24-yard completion to tight end Craig Stevens. At the end of the play, Detroit linebacker Stephen Tulloch was called for a 15-yard personal foul on Stevens. But the completion was reversed and ruled an incompletion.

Now the officials had to mark off the 15-yard penalty. Presumably, replay official Earnie Frantz or the officiating supervisor told the referee, Gerald Wright, to mark the 15-yard penalty from the Tennessee 44. But Wright marked it from the Detroit 44, giving the Titans a first down at the Detroit 29. If the crew had marked it from the Titans 44, the first down would have been from the Detroit 41. As it was, Tennessee, from the 29, was already in field-goal range. It's beyond inexcusable -- and to think the league office put an extra set of eyes in the replay booth to ensure debacles like a 27-yard personal foul wouldn't happen. It did anyway.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...#ixzz27Q6HpYmx
Old 09-25-2012, 08:20 AM
The Entertainment Guru

Squash all the sh1ty calls.

The final play that went under review....

Offensive pass interference and or Defender intercepts.... Period!

BigMarcus ~ EVO 4G LTE
Old 09-25-2012, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Incorrect. They reviewed to see IF there was possession, not WHO had possession. The ref on the field already indicated TD. The booth reviewed possesion to confirm a TD.

Get over it. Move on.
Exactly, and Tate did NOT have possession.
Old 09-25-2012, 09:03 AM
Please, call me Brian.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSTYLE View Post
Yep. Apparently sportsdad is blinded by the fact he's a fan of the alleged winning team.
Unfortunately for him and all other disillusioned Seahawks fans... They lost that game! They were "given the win by the incompetent refs". If you can't admit that, your input can not be taken seriously in this thread.

Oh and everyone can Call Roger Goodell at 212-450-2027, courtesy of Clay Matthews. Feel free to leave a message or two.

BigMarcus ~ EVO 4G LTE

+1000000

Sure, there were a ton of missed/terrible calls on both sides of the ball, nobody is denying that. But to **** up that last play is absolutely inexcusable.
Old 09-25-2012, 09:28 AM
The Entertainment Guru

The last sentence of the NFL rules applies here:

BigMarcus ~ EVO 4G LTE
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1348586913491.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	343242  
Old 09-25-2012, 09:59 AM

It's funny, I was told to not complain about the bad ref'ing in SB 2006, told that bad calls happen. Told that I was a whiner because I brought up the FACT that the refs blew that ever important game, they even admitted they screwed the pooch! Yet you same folks are now wearing those shoes. PRICELESS!
I LOVE KARMA!

So, never mind the game, how about that Seahawk defense?

10 sacks in the past two games (Cowboys, GB) and have held Romo and Rodgers to 1 TD combined.
Clemens TIES AN NFL RECORD for most sacks in a half!
Did you hear that ? Yes, that was the sound of on of the NFL's top elite defenses making sounds around the nation last night.

Quote:
Replacement officials have taken over all discussion about "Monday Night Football," but don't overlook the fact that the Green Bay Packers and Seattle Seahawks put on a defensive clinic.

The Packers gave up just 238 yards and allowed the Seahawks to convert 2 of 11 third downs. Quarterback Russell Wilson completed 47.6 percent of his passes for 130 yards, including the 24-yard Hail Mary. Rookie linebacker Nick Perry showed ridiculous athleticism chasing Wilson down from behind for a sack. Marshawn Lynch averaged 3.9 yards per carry. The Seahawks reached the red zone just once.

The Seahawks had eight first-half sacks -- more than 23 teams have all season. They held the Packers offense to 12 points. Remember, this is reigning MVP Aaron Rodgers and the highest-scoring team from 2011. The offense managed 268 yards and was 7 for 15 on third down. The Packers found the red zone twice all night.

This would have been celebrated if this was a Ravens-Steelers game. Or if we weren't busy talking about the final play.

By the way, the Packers (261 yards per game allowed) and Seahawks (272.3) are ranked No. 3 and No. 4 in total defense. Seattle has allowed the fewest points in the league (13 points per game) and Green Bay (18) is No. 7.

Last edited by Sportsdad; 09-25-2012 at 10:23 AM.
Old 09-25-2012, 10:22 AM
Renaissance Dude

Mein Auto: 1987 325i, 410K
My nephew played Jr. College football last year. I saw two games - one an afternoon game in Hayward (bay area) in Sept, about 90 degrees, crap, not really fun, especially since the refs were a few notches worse than what the NFL is now using. Then again, maybe those are the refs they are using. I'll say this much, I know from experience that reffing basketball is way tough, I suspect football is equally tough.

That said, bring back the A team.

Dreamers, misfits, malcontents, finding the world not to their liking imagine themselves ideally suited for the world as it ought to be. - anon

Last edited by cmac2012; 09-26-2012 at 11:11 AM. Reason: jeez, the word was supposed to be NOW not NOT
Old 09-25-2012, 10:26 AM

Quote:
It's funny, I was told to not complain about the bad ref'ing in SB 2006, told that bad calls happen. Told that I was a whiner because I brought up the FACT that the refs blew that ever important game, they even admitted they screwed the pooch! Yet you same folks are now wearing those shoes. PRICELESS!
I LOVE KARMA!

So, never mind the game, how about that Seahawk defense?

10 sacks in the past two games (Cowboys, GB) and have held Romo and Rodgers to 1 TD combined.
Clemens TIES AN NFL RECORD for most sacks in a half!
Did you hear that ? Yes, that was the sound of on of the NFL's top elite defenses making sounds around the nation last night.

The officiating in that SB was awful. I feel your pain from that game. I am a Giants fan and don't like Hasselbeck, but the truth is that game is a black mark on the NFL.
Old 09-25-2012, 10:30 AM
'Fest Sponsor

Mein Auto: BMW 6 Series
Wow....that was crazy

Mike F | Vossen Wheels
Email: mike@vossenwheels.com
Web: www.vossenwheels.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/vossenwheels
Videos:www.youtube.com/vossenwheels
Old 09-25-2012, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSTYLE View Post

BigMarcus ~ EVO 4G LTE
"When the players hit the ground in the end zone, the officials determined that both Tate and Jennings had possession of the ball. Under the rule for simultaneous catch, the ball belongs to Tate, the offensive player. The result of the play was a touchdown.

Replay Official Howard Slavin stopped the game for an instant replay review. The aspects of the play that were reviewable included if the ball hit the ground and who had possession of the ball. In the end zone, a ruling of a simultaneous catch is reviewable. That is not the case in the field of play, only in the end zone.

Referee Wayne Elliott determined that no indisputable visual evidence existed to overturn the call on the field, and as a result, the on-field ruling of touchdown stood. The NFL Officiating Department reviewed the video today and supports the decision not to overturn the on-field ruling following the instant replay review.

The result of the game is final."

Ref: NFL head officials
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...awks-touchdown

Last edited by Sportsdad; 09-25-2012 at 10:38 AM.
Old 09-25-2012, 11:18 AM

I don't see how this is not part of the ruling:

Quote:
Simultaneous Catch. If a pass is caught simultaneously by two eligible opponents, and both players retain it, the ball belongs to the passers. It is not a simultaneous catch if a player gains control first and an opponent subsequently gains joint control. If the ball is muffed after simultaneous touching by two such players, all the players of the passing team become eligible to catch the loose ball.
Old 09-25-2012, 11:35 AM

Quote:
"When the players hit the ground in the end zone, the officials determined that both Tate and Jennings had possession of the ball. Under the rule for simultaneous catch, the ball belongs to Tate, the offensive player. The result of the play was a touchdown.

Replay Official Howard Slavin stopped the game for an instant replay review. The aspects of the play that were reviewable included if the ball hit the ground and who had possession of the ball. In the end zone, a ruling of a simultaneous catch is reviewable. That is not the case in the field of play, only in the end zone.

Referee Wayne Elliott determined that no indisputable visual evidence existed to overturn the call on the field, and as a result, the on-field ruling of touchdown stood. The NFL Officiating Department reviewed the video today and supports the decision not to overturn the on-field ruling following the instant replay review.

The result of the game is final."

Ref: NFL head officials
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...awks-touchdown

Looks like the NFL is saying it was a good call. Makes the win for your team all that much better.
Old 09-25-2012, 11:53 AM

Quote:
I don't see how this is not part of the ruling:
Simple. They were in the air. The ref made the call once they landed. Seahawks win.
Old 09-25-2012, 12:58 PM
Please, call me Brian.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330soon2b View Post
Looks like the NFL is saying it was a good call. Makes the win for your team all that much better.
Its definitely no surprise the NFL would side with officials they're paying significantly less than the real refs, or that they'd support their side in the biggest controversy of the year

Fact is; there was no way, not a chance, that Tate even had 5% control of the ball. He didn't even get two hands on it till they'd hit the ground, and was touching the ball around Jenning's body!

Nobody is saying the Seahawks didn't get screwed in the Superbowl, nobody except the people in denial like you are now with this play. Lots of games get ruined by penalties, but this entire game was atrocious. Yeah, Clemons is a beast and looked like Reggie in his prime, but everything is overshadowed when you have a final outcome like we did.
Old 09-25-2012, 01:00 PM
Please, call me Brian.

Old 09-25-2012, 01:37 PM
-- Robert S. Johnson 56FG

Mein Auto: 2008 535i
Leaving this one call out, it is just too emotional, you all have to admit that this is beyond a disgrace. The players can't tell what will be called against whom, control has been lost on the field, and, not only individual games, but the entire season is now on the verge of dissolving.

We have already seen bad officiating changing games. Will we have to see bad officiating result in injuries?

Get the real refs back, this is no place for an entire referee team to learn on the job.

535i, Monaco, Cream, Light Poplar, Comfort Seats, PP, Nav, ED.