Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 09-25-2012, 07:42 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 33O CIc
2001 325i stalling problems. 8 OBD II codes!

Hi,

My brother just bought a 2001 BMW 325i with 102,000 miles on it. He got it off craigslist and as soon as he got home the Service Engine Soon light came on. I used my OBD II and saw 13 codes, so I'm guessing the previous buyer reset the codes right before selling it.

On two occasions the car shut off on him while driving. No jerking, just stalled smoothly and all the lights stayed on. I drove it once and it stalled on me as well.

We just drove it around 30 miles with no issues. Took it to a shop a dealer friends takes his cars to and he gave us a free diagnostic. He said the PC and VC valves were leaking and was causing the car to run too lean. Also, The car is dripping some oil, which the mechanic didn't really mention.

I should have asked more about what the PC and VC valves were. He said they were under the intake manifold. Also how do I figure out what is the cause of the oil leak? ere be a valve cover gasket leak and spark plugs well are filled with oil? Also i read the camshaft sensor could cause stalling but the mechanic didn't mention anything about it, but it was on the OBDII reading

Codes that i pulled were:
P0313 Misfire Detected Low Fuel Level
P0300 Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected
P1352 Misfire During Start Cylinder 6 (BMW)
P1347 Misfire Cylinder 3 With Fuel Cut-off (BMW)
P1343 Misfire cylinder 1 with fuel cut off
P0171 System too lean Bank 1
P0174 System too Lean Bank 2
P0344 Camshaft Position Sensor A - Bank 1 CKT Intermittent

I find it hard to believe all these codes can be fixed with just change of the valves the mechanic mentioned. He said it would be $280 + tax for the job. I told my brother to sell it AS-IS online since he got it so cheap and with low miles. Any input would help. Thanks.

Last edited by moabcreator; 09-25-2012 at 07:44 PM.
Advertisement
Old 09-25-2012, 08:24 PM
Keeping it surreal

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
The item being referred to is usually called the CVV (Crankcase Ventilation Valve), and it`s located in an inconvenient spot that makes it a major pain in the balls (in most people`s opinion) to change. If your guy is willing to do the job for only $280 bucks, hand him a check, and give him a big fat kiss, as he`s doing you a favor....
(just make sure that replacing *all four* hoses that go with the CVV is part of the deal)

*Please support the Disabled American Veterans*

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....
Old 09-25-2012, 08:31 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 33O CIc
Thanks for the quick reply!

Well the mechanic shop does all the cars for the my dealer buddy so he is giving my brother the same rate he charges the dealership and normally charges 60 for the inspection but gave it to us for free. He said its about 5+ hours of labor and hard to get to.

So do you think CCV fix will fix all the misfires, oil leak and codes listed above? Or is the oil leak probably something totally different?