Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > BMW Coding and Programming

BMW Coding and Programming
Discuss coding options and features on your BMW here.

Old 09-25-2012, 10:36 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X3 2011
I have coded VIM and SAT and my oil sensors still work.
Old 09-26-2012, 12:15 PM
Verified Trusted User

Mein Auto: 2012 535i, Space Grey
+1 I have coded the crap out of my car and just successfully checked the oil level.
2012 535i, April build, Space Grey, Oyster Interior, 19" M sport rims/tires, premium pkg, premium sound, side/top cameras, heated seats, comfort access, ceramic controls, OEM spoiler, painted front reflectors, 35% tint, rear Fog lights, coded to my liking.

Old 10-07-2012, 01:07 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 535i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnsheridan View Post
No, but thanks. I think the oil sensor just went bad. I'll know a bit more when I reset everything back to factory condition this weekend.
Ok. My car is going back into service tomorrow morning for this to be programmed since it halted last time two weeks ago. So, I just reset everything back to as delivered factory condition (Code Free) , and...now it is working again.

RUH ROH!

The issue was definitely coding related. I did not troubleshoot this one by one to see exactly what coding was causing the issue; however, based on another user that contacted me, it seems it was ECO PRO coding related.

I did not realize this before, but when it was coded and not working, there was an extra oil icon, the standard one a check mark, and a new one with a circle.

Does anyone also have both of these Oil icons including the second one with the circle, and if so, is Oil Measurement working?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CIC - Vehicle Info - Vehicle Status - Engine Oil Level - Normal.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	105.6 KB
ID:	344691   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIC - Vehicle Info - Vehicle Status - Engine Oil Level - Error.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	102.8 KB
ID:	344692  

- 2011 535i M-Sport (Born 10/10) - AW/BLK/DW - /ZMP (w/ARS, EDC, DHP, & AD) /ZPP /ZP2 (w/ZPS & ZPT) /ZCV (w/SCAD) /6FL /6VC
- Mods - 2TB SAT / 6WB MFID Cluster / 4U1 Ceramic Controls / 6NR BMW Apps / Rear Fog Lights / Cyba Double Layer Black Chrome Quad Tips
Old 10-07-2012, 02:19 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 328i
Quote:
Ok. My car is going back into service tomorrow morning for this to be programmed since it halted last time two weeks ago. So, I just reset everything back to as delivered factory condition (Code Free) , and...now it is working again.

RUH ROH!

The issue was definitely coding related. I did not troubleshoot this one by one to see exactly what coding was causing the issue; however, based on another user that contacted me, it seems it was ECO PRO coding related.

I did not realize this before, but when it was coded and not working, there was an extra oil icon, the standard one a check mark, and a new one with a circle.

Does anyone also have both of these Oil icons including the second one with the circle, and if so, is Oil Measurement working?
My F30 has both icons. The one with the check mark just tells you if the oil level is ok, the second one (with the refresh circle) is used to force a measurement. Oil measurement works just fine.
Old 10-07-2012, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogmanF30 View Post
My F30 has both icons. The one with the check mark just tells you if the oil level is ok, the second one (with the refresh circle) is used to force a measurement. Oil measurement works just fine.
Thanks for confirming. This is something they must have added after my build, and when I changed my production date, it appeared on mine, albeit with problems. Hopefully tomorrow they will still program my car with 2.47.5, and some of the issues like ECO PRO and the Oil Measurement System will work 100% when i change my Production Date again.

- 2011 535i M-Sport (Born 10/10) - AW/BLK/DW - /ZMP (w/ARS, EDC, DHP, & AD) /ZPP /ZP2 (w/ZPS & ZPT) /ZCV (w/SCAD) /6FL /6VC
- Mods - 2TB SAT / 6WB MFID Cluster / 4U1 Ceramic Controls / 6NR BMW Apps / Rear Fog Lights / Cyba Double Layer Black Chrome Quad Tips
Old 10-07-2012, 08:18 PM
BMW master tech

Mein Auto: e30 318
.40 for programming and zero to open a puma case is the reason. F-10 vehicles are very time consuming when using ISTA/P.
Old 10-12-2012, 06:28 PM

As an update to this, I brought my car back in to the Dealer Monday, and they programmed it without any problems at all this time. Surprisingly, it was done with ISTA/P 2.47.7, which was just pushed to my Dealer on Saturday (No, I do not have 47.7 PSdZData yet).

Lessons learned:
  1. The issue with the Oil Measurement system was due to a change in production beginning 0312, so using a production date from 0312 onward and VO Coding your CIC will be a problem on older builds.
  2. Don't bring your car in for programming with a fake VIN (e.g. for BMW Live / Internet) written in your Combox, or ISTA/P will choke. Also, make sure the VO written to the car has the original production date.
  3. If you add an FSC Code to your car (e.g. 9C FSC for BMW Apps) you must alter your VO to include the appropriate Option Code and write it to the car, as without the Option Code (e.g. 6NR) in you car's VO, ISTA/P will terminate with extreme prejudice the FSC Code, as in permanently cancel it.
So, now I have to either find the FDL Coding to revert the Oil Measurement System to the older screens, or use a VO Production date earlier than 0312.

Old 10-12-2012, 06:41 PM

Mein Auto: X3 2011
Great info. Thanks
Old 10-12-2012, 06:50 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3
Shawn,
I think you are expanding the knowledge base the hard way! Glad the programming went through this time.
Old 10-12-2012, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathon Man View Post
Shawn,
I think you are expanding the knowledge base the hard way! Glad the programming went through this time.
Yep. Like I originally stated, my car was extensively coded.

So long as I am not bricking any modules, I'll keep pushing the envelope though.

Last edited by shawnsheridan; 10-12-2012 at 06:59 PM.
Old 10-13-2012, 03:00 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW F10 528i M Sport
Thanks for the info.
Old 10-13-2012, 07:27 AM

Mein Auto: X3 20d f25
Shawn, thank you for sharing your valuable experience in this fashinating field
Old 10-13-2012, 01:31 PM

Mein Auto: F10
Quote:

RUH ROH!

---
Is there a quick way to return everything to factory or do you have to go through every module?
Old 10-13-2012, 01:47 PM

Mein Auto: F10
Quote:

RUH ROH!

---
Is there a quick way to return everything to factory or do you have to go through every module?
Old 10-13-2012, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinese_food View Post
---
It's module by module, but just use your factory VO, and VO Code each module that was coded. It's simple and pretty fast to do it.

Old 10-14-2012, 08:36 AM
The Coder guy in N.Y

Mein Auto: bmw
Glad you got the programming done without a hitch this time...Now the wait for the 47.7 so you can code everything back again! You the man
Old 10-14-2012, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cn555ic View Post
Glad you got the programming done without a hitch this time...Now the wait for the 47.7 so you can code everything back again! You the man
I already coded everything back. 47.7 is the same Integration Level as 47.5, and for my car anyway, no new CAFD's were added.

Old 10-15-2012, 08:14 AM

Mein Auto: 535i GT
Quote:
I already coded everything back. 47.7 is the same Integration Level as 47.5, and for my car anyway, no new CAFD's were added.
Just out of curiosity do you have a full list of the things you coded? I know the basic stuff on averyone's bucket list, but just what is included in the "coded the hell out of it" package?

TIA
DLM
Old 10-15-2012, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmunz View Post
Just out of curiosity do you have a full list of the things you coded? I know the basic stuff on averyone's bucket list, but just what is included in the "coded the hell out of it" package?

TIA
DLM
Well, beyond the typical FDL Coding:

For 6NR BMW Apps:
  • Changed my VO Production Date
  • Added 6NR and 6NF to my VO
  • Wrote modified VO to car
  • Imported and activated a 9C FSC Code in my CIC
For BMW Live and Bluetooth Internet:
  • Replaced option 639 with 644 in my VO
  • Added 6AL and 614 to my VO
  • Wrote a Malaysian VIN to my Combox
For ECO PRO:
  • Added 4U2 to my VO

Old 10-16-2012, 09:36 AM

Quote:
...So, now I have to either find the FDL Coding to revert the Oil Measurement System to the older screens, or use a VO Production date earlier than 0312.
After examining a few of my saved .NCD's, I think I found the FDL Code culprit for the new Oil Measurement Screen:

OELSTAND_OENS = aktiv.

I just need to test it now to confirm.

Old 10-18-2012, 07:23 PM

Quote:
After examining a few of my saved .NCD's, I think I found the FDL Code culprit for the new Oil Measurement Screen:

OELSTAND_OENS = aktiv.

I just need to test it now to confirm.
Bringing this to a close, I just tested and confirmed that OELSTAND_OENS = aktiv was in fact the cause of the Oil Measurement System screen change.

If your car was built before 0312, and you use a >= 0312 Production Date, your Oil Level Measurement Screen will change an no longer work. To return it back to the original style, FDL Code OELSTAND_OENS = nicht_aktiv after VO Coding it.

So, now I can continue to use a 0712 Production Date to VO Code CIC, and just set OELSTAND_OENS = nicht_aktiv when I am done, and all is well.

Last edited by shawnsheridan; 10-20-2012 at 05:23 AM.