Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > E63 / E64 6 Series (2003 - 2013)

E63 / E64 6 Series (2003 - 2013)
The E63/E64 BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Old 09-26-2012, 02:21 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 BMW 650i convertible
Squeaky Brakes

Took her in for squeaky brake noise...I was thinking surely couldn't need brakes yet. I was right but not satisfied with the response. Dealer tells me that the squeak is actually the sound of the sensor rubbing. BMW won't cop to the repair because there is no "real" problem they say. I asked, if it shouldn't be making that noise why wouldn't it be covered under warranty. Again, they say the rubbing won't cause a problem, brakes are fine and since there is no real repair issue they won't cover. Dealer tells me I can pay for the repair to the tune of $350...really?! What say y'all?
1979 Pontiac Trans Am 10th Anniversary Edition
Advertisement
Old 09-26-2012, 04:47 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2005 645Ci & 2007 750Li
My dealer changed mine due to the squeak, at BMW's expense. There are 2 sensors at like 20.00 each, & take 10 minutes to replace each one. Sounds like they are mighty greedy!
Old 09-26-2012, 08:25 PM

Mein Auto: '04 M3 / '06 650i Cab
99% of the time brake squeal is caused by the pads vibrating. Many things can cause this but it's usually caused by a sloppy pad install or poorly fitting aftermarket pads.

I would say it is practically impossible for the sensors to cause brake squeal. The part that comes in contact with the rotors is made of hard plastic which will not cause squeal. The sensors do not start rubbing against the rotors until the pads are near the end of their life. When the brake pads are almost completely worn out there is a small metal bar in the sensor that will come in contact with the rotor (causing the pad warning light to come on) and that might cause a very slight squeal.

If the dealer installed new sensors and that fixed squeal it was very likely the cleaning of the caliper carrier and maybe the application of anti-squeal paste to the pads when they re-installed them that fixed the problem.

You can install new pads and sensors for less than $350 if you do it yourself. $300 labor to install $40 worth of parts is crazy. Like Herb said it would take them 10 min max to install.
'02 Highlander - kid hauler
'01 330Ci - winter beater

Old 10-08-2012, 10:38 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 BMW 650i convertible
Back to the dealer on Friday, just to get a face to face explanation. The story is the casing the houses the sensor is what is rubbing. The brakes have quite a bit of life left on them and the claim is the rubbing will not damage to sensor nor the brakes. Dealers says BMW will not do a warranty repair because nothing is broken. My question was, since my warranty is bumper to bumper and this not a sound that a new car should make why wouldn't it be covered? Dealer says BMW is adamant on situations like this where there is nothing broken or damaged. Wonder if I should contact BMW directly? Thoughts?
1979 Pontiac Trans Am 10th Anniversary Edition
Old 10-08-2012, 01:21 PM

Mein Auto: '04 M3 / '06 650i Cab
That is a total BS answer. Print off a few of these shots from my Brake Pad DIY and ask them to explain how the senor could possibly be rubbing on the rotor. If it was, then there was an improper install on the pads the first time around. And what exactly is the "sensor casing" vs the sensor itself? Take a look at the pic below.

The TIS (BMW shop manual) say the sensor must be replaced on every brake job. So you had new sensors installed when the brake pads were done. How could installing a new thicker sensor fix a rubbing problem? A new sensor will rub MORE than an old one, not less. Take a look at my new/worn sensor pic.

When the sensor clips onto the pad it is nowhere near touching the rotor. The sensor will not make contact with the rotor until ~50% pad material is worn, then it continues to rub and wear down until about 20% of pad material is left. At this point a small metal post inside the plastic sensor makes contact with the rotor and your bake pad warning light comes on.

At no point in the sensor wear process should squeal be caused by the sensor. It is a small plastic part designed to be worn down as the pads wear and if it caused squeal EVERY single BMW would be squealing when pads hit 50% and the sensor begins to wear.

Here is my full DIY with lots of pics of sensors and pads and rotors.

This is the sensor clipped onto a pad after new pads were installed - note the tip is not touching the rotor:

This is a worn vs new sensor - note the red arrows:

Here is another shot, this time the rear sensor. Note it is not touching the rotor at install.
'02 Highlander - kid hauler
'01 330Ci - winter beater

Last edited by Yorgi; 10-08-2012 at 01:37 PM. Reason: typo, add another picture
Old 10-08-2012, 04:46 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 645Ci & 2007 750Li
When my brakes were squealing, there was a lot of brake dust or carbon buildup on the sensor. Not sure if this is your problem? It's pretty hard to remove the sensor without damaging it. If you have another dealer around, try seeing what they will do.

Good Luck
Old 10-09-2012, 07:16 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 650i Convertible
When I brought my 09 in for squeaking brakes, they told me that it was the brake sensors also, repair order stated that tech removed sensor and test drove, no squeak. I actually got a complete brake job front and rear including front calibers and new sensors for free. My car is still under warranty and 4 year maintenance. I thought it was strange that sensors caused the squeak.