Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 09-24-2012, 05:25 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 X3
dirtbike on a hitch carrier?

Anyone care to share their opinion about loading a motorcycle on a hitch carrier on the X3? The bike weight is 265lbs plus 35lbs for the aluminum carrier puts me right at 300lbs. The max tongue weight on the OEM hitch is 350lbs, so I'd be cutting it pretty close.

I'd rather not have to drive with a trailer...

Any input appreciated.

-- J.
Old 09-24-2012, 06:14 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Touareg TDI
I would be worried about bouncing. With a trailer the down force would be pretty constant. But you will not have any thing else supporting the bike so when you hit a bump you might be pushing it too close? Along time ago i proably could have done the math on this but those brain cells died of old age lol. Some straps hooked into the top of the tailgate to remove any bounce might help ie the straps you see people using for strap on by bicycle carriers. Just a thought.
Old 09-25-2012, 06:04 AM

Mein Auto: A Gamma Goat
The 350 lbs of allowed tongue weight is calculated with the load pretty close to the receiver. What you're proposing has pretty much the same effect as a hitch extender.

http://hitches4less.com/hitch-adapter-capacity.html

Last edited by usaret; 09-25-2012 at 07:04 AM.
Old 09-25-2012, 02:59 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 X3
Interesting. The 50% is a lot more conservative that what I had seen. 80% of max tongue weight is the number I've heard with these carriers. hmmmm, might just have to tow...
Old 09-26-2012, 06:39 AM

Mein Auto: A Gamma Goat
Quote:
Originally Posted by eAspenwood View Post
Interesting. The 50% is a lot more conservative that what I had seen. 80% of max tongue weight is the number I've heard with these carriers. hmmmm, might just have to tow...
I tow a 4x6 utility trailer all the time and you honestly forget it's back there. I even use the trailer for heavy stuff that would fit in the back like chicken feed, lawn fertilizer and softener salt just to keep the weight off the car. When I get it closed in (like the one in the picture) we're going to take it on road trips also. I'm going to put Yakima cross bars on the top so I can carry our bicycles on it as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo (2).jpg
Views:	50
Size:	165.3 KB
ID:	343340  

Last edited by usaret; 09-26-2012 at 06:40 AM.
Old 09-26-2012, 01:33 PM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
Any problem with obscuring the license plate and rear lights with that rig? If so, you will get a ticket from the Chippies for sure. Just off hand, seems like an easy way to do it but I would be concerned with the weight extended out a couple of feet and the hard bumps. Just seems a bit too much back there hanging unsupported IMHO.
Old 09-26-2012, 08:36 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X3, Mercedes CLK500
I just pull my race and practice bike in a 5x8 enclosed trailer behind my X3, pulls it fine.