Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 09-14-2012, 05:09 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E60 545i6/04 330ci
Please post results, sweet
Old 09-25-2012, 01:20 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 540i M-sport
Yes, some before and after pics would be great.
Old 09-26-2012, 12:46 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 540i
Gogogogo
Old 09-26-2012, 09:41 AM

Mein Auto: E60 545i6/04 330ci
That sounds good. Is that just straight piped?
Old 09-26-2012, 06:14 PM

Yawp. To get quad tip though I bashed in my trunk :3 Hurt me when the guy was enjoying it and saying to every customer how he loved bashing BMW's, but it was worth it heh.
Old 09-26-2012, 11:53 PM

Mein Auto: 1999 BMW 540i auto
Are there cutouts in the bumper or did you just put the tips under without cutting anything?
Old 09-26-2012, 11:56 PM

Yup they are slightly cut out
Old 09-27-2012, 12:00 AM

Mein Auto: 1999 BMW 540i auto
Ok, that's what I thought but I couldn't really tell from that angle. Looks good.
Old 09-03-2014, 05:37 PM

Mein Auto: 1997 540i/6
I know this is an old thread, but it is the top one that comes up when you search for exhaust delete, and I know early on people were debating power loss. I did some real world testing back in 2008 on power gain/loss from doing the "Y" resonator and rear (dummy) resonator delete. It was posted at the time on that other forum, where I am more active, but rather thank link that (should be easy enough to find if you wanted) I'll post a followup here.

I went to the a club dyno day and hopped on first thing in the morning for a baseline pull, ran down the street and had the "Y" resonator and rear silencer removed and bypassed, then went straight back to the same dyno for a follow up pull. Peak numbers were very similar, but there is a solid drop in the mid range. My butt dyno doesn't know the difference, in fact the car seems faster by the seat of the pants because of the noise, but the numbers don't lie.

Exhaust setup is cats, Y junction (not to be confused with Y resonator!), then straight back to the factory muffler (skipping the dummy silencer). The weight of the removed section was 48lbs, net difference is 48lbs less whatever the section of new pipe weighs (MUCH less than 48lbs).

This is the section that was removed and replaced with a single piece of pipe:

Pre welding:

Results:

Now, I'm not looking to refute or debate anything anyone else has already claimed in this thread. I'm merely posting my observations, take them how you will. What follows is my 2 cents on the subject based on my observations. In my opinion, the "Y" resonator is that goofy shape for a reason. BMW didn't lump 25lbs of metal under the car in some goofy ass shape in the middle of the car just because they had nothing better to do. If the objective is simply a quiet car, there are simpler and lighter ways to do it, and there would have been plenty of room under the tail where those 2 giant cans already are for a nice big quiet single muffler. It is where it is, and in the shape it is, because it is a tuned portion of the exhaust, and helps the car make power in the mid range. The idea that the catalytic converters are the magical end of any sort of exhaust tuning, and anything after doesn't matter, just isn't supported.

Anyway, not to discourage anyone from doing it, just want people to be able to make an informed decision. I did it over 6 years ago (holy crap, I can't believe that), and have never regretted it. As I said above, I couldn't perceive any loss of power aside from the dyno graph. The exact same setup has been on my car since and I've been very happy with it. I'm only even back looking at these threads because I was looking at my exhaust system on the floor today (it is down so a new clutch can go in!) and contemplating putting an electrical cutout with an outlet where the old silencer used to be next to the muffler. Cutout aside, if I were to do it again, I would probably leave the "Y" resonator and pull the muffler, instead of visa versa, and see how that sounds. I imagine that setup wouldn't be a lot heavier, and would not have the loss of power that removing the Y does.

Good luck, they are great cars.

Nathan
Old 09-04-2014, 10:12 AM

Mein Auto: 2000 540i M-sport
Wow, great post QCDstick! Very informative. I stuck with a simple muffler (the two rear driver side cans) delete and replaced it with straight pipe. The car sounds awesome as it is, and the butt dyno felt no decrease - it feels more powerful simply because of the sounds.
Old 09-04-2014, 10:44 AM

Mein Auto: 01 540i 6spd
mine is straight pipe true duel from the header to a y-pipe to the rear single magnaflow muffler. i do have 2 resonator though one on each pipe. love the sound and performance.

Last edited by vien; 09-04-2014 at 10:49 AM.