Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

Old 08-17-2012, 07:25 PM

Mein Auto: E38
Cup Holder Repair

My cup holder pulled apart. Well, I pulled it apart. I suppose it is inevitable for this to happen on these cars. I have looked a various posts on repair but was looking for the quick fix

Nothing really looks broken, but there is a straight gear that fell out. I can't readily see where it came from. Where does it go?

Also there is a longish spring that is still inserted in the dash portion. It is bent up at the end that is protruding. Should I straighten that up? Does it hook on to something, like the portion of the cup holder that pulled off?

Is there a way to simply align it and push it back together?

Thanks
Todd
00 740i
Ads by Google
Old 08-20-2012, 06:12 AM
Playing Mechanic At Home

Send a message via AIM to ou18 Send a message via Yahoo to ou18
Mein Auto: 1997 740 IL
Here is a fix for cupholders on e38... there is three posts about it,

http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/308465

1997 Black 740IL (w\ badass Phone in console)
Old 08-20-2012, 12:52 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2001 740i sport 2006 m6
re

I fixed mine then bought one of these and never used that overpriced POC again: http://www.cup-holders.com/shoppingc...up-Holders.htm
Old 09-07-2012, 09:06 PM

Mein Auto: 1999 740i
Factory cup holders are crap. Dont waste you money on replaceing it. The same thing happened to me and I got tired of it so this is what I did. Went to O'reilys, bought some "quick steel" they sale in a tube at the counter. I neaded it together, put it on there, closed it and held for 2-3min. Problem sovled.
Old 09-15-2012, 05:43 AM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 automatic
Your E38 factory cupholders look as bad as ours on the E39. It's amazing that BMW can build a suspension and power train, but they have no idea how to build a car.

FWIW, there are many non-factory solutions proposed here:
- Yet another BMW front cupholders replacement thread (1)

Old 09-16-2012, 05:59 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 740i
I use these....

Ultimate Cupholder.
Old 09-17-2012, 06:14 PM

Mein Auto: 740iL
The cup holders in the car are a joke. They broke easily without having to use much force. Can't even hold a big cup from anywhere. I gave up and now my son is my cup holder. LOL
Old 09-27-2012, 06:09 AM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 automatic
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtkw View Post
The cup holders in the car are a joke
BMW engineers know how to build a suspension & drive train and BMW Marketing knows how to sell a vehicle but BMW management doesn't know how to build a car.

Examples, at least for my E39 that I know well, include cupholders shattering, cooling systems leaking, abs control module wires lifting, blower motor controls frying, disa flap design breaking, vanos seals shrinking, windshield molding crumbling, rear brake light sockets melting, window regulators breaking, door seals leaking, jack pads falling off, headlight adjusters crumbling, roundels washing away over time, trunk looms fraying, pixels disappearing, ambient temperature sensor vulnerable location, wood trim cracking, power steering hose leaks, windshield washer pumps leaking, seat cover switches breaking, etc.

And that's just 'my' E39.

I can't blame the engineers; nor the marketing; it's BMW management that doesn't know how to make decisions on how to build a 'real' car.