Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 02-19-2012, 03:07 PM

Mein Auto: 335i
Transmission.

I was speaking to an executive from GM recently, and he mentioned that the GM built transmission for the X3 was originally designed for a lighter vehicle, and was not intended for an SUV. BMW decided to install it in the X3 after the design was done, even though they were advised not to. That would explain why a lot of us experience issues with the tranny, especially when loaded. The X3 weighs more than 4,000 lbs, and add in several people, the weight climbs pretty high. Our 2007 X3 has always had issues despite numerous software updates, spark plug changes, O2 sensor replacements, learning resets, etc. The tranny suffers from a design flaw, and we pretty much have to live with it.

Last edited by mariodr; 02-19-2012 at 03:11 PM.
Old 02-19-2012, 07:52 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '91 E30 / '07 X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariodr View Post
I was speaking to an executive from GM recently, and he mentioned that the GM built transmission for the X3 was originally designed for a lighter vehicle, and was not intended for an SUV. BMW decided to install it in the X3 after the design was done, even though they were advised not to. That would explain why a lot of us experience issues with the tranny, especially when loaded. The X3 weighs more than 4,000 lbs, and add in several people, the weight climbs pretty high. Our 2007 X3 has always had issues despite numerous software updates, spark plug changes, O2 sensor replacements, learning resets, etc. The tranny suffers from a design flaw, and we pretty much have to live with it.
No you don't have to live with it. Trade it in for something else. I used to own an Acura TL Type S (which weighs about 400lbs less than an x3...) with a transmission that truly self destructed (burnt clutches and all...) every 15k miles or so. It was on tranny number 4... when I got rid of it.

If I had mechanical issues like that with the x3, despite having hauled 4000 lbs worth of trailer with it, several times, before ever having a clue what was wrong with it.... I would have dumped the x3 too. I'm just really happy it didn't come to that and hopefully this info will be of help to others with the same issues.

BMWCCA Member

Last edited by ngcreese; 02-19-2012 at 07:53 PM.
Old 02-21-2012, 09:38 AM

Mein Auto: X3
hesitation on acceleration

We have an'06 X3 and for the last year or so the car has this disapointing performance when you hit the gas. The RPM,s go zooming to 4000 the car stalls and it starts to shake like if it's going to die. I have to stop the car turn it off and start it up again so the stalling and shaking. After this procedure the car runs ok but the SES light stays on and if i try to accelerate as to pass or for any other reason the car will act up again. We changed the upline 02 sensor, a ripped PVC hose, #4,5,6 coil, and reset the codes and it did nothing. All of this going by what the codes said. My experienced BMW mech checked the Cat converter and found it clogged, so I took it to the dealer they kept the car for a week and they said that according to a smoke check test it needed some o-rings, pro-seals, hoses and a bunch more stuff at all would cost $1,320.00. They said that I had to get this work done so that they could check the cataytic converter. Of corse I did not accept that so I took the car back to my mech. He did the smoke ck, and found no leaks. So we gutted the cat converter and it ran pretty good actually really really good!!! but now I need a cat converter, I'm thinking about a High Performance one but the thing I would like to know is that if I install one would the SES light remain on as to not recognize the equipment or if their is some way I can un plug the cat sensor. plz help. Oh, and really the car flys ck you cat conveter!
Old 02-21-2012, 09:40 AM

hesitation on acceleration

We have an'06 X3 and for the last year or so the car has this disapointing performance when you hit the gas. The RPM,s go zooming to 4000 the car stalls and it starts to shake like if it's going to die. I have to stop the car turn it off and start it up again so the stalling and shaking. After this procedure the car runs ok but the SES light stays on and if i try to accelerate as to pass or for any other reason the car will act up again. We changed the upline 02 sensor, a ripped PVC hose, #4,5,6 coil, and reset the codes and it did nothing. All of this going by what the codes said. My experienced BMW mech checked the Cat converter and found it clogged, so I took it to the dealer they kept the car for a week and they said that according to a smoke check test it needed some o-rings, pro-seals, hoses and a bunch more stuff at all would cost $1,320.00. They said that I had to get this work done so that they could check the cataytic converter. Of corse I did not accept that so I took the car back to my mech. He did the smoke ck, and found no leaks. So we gutted the cat converter and it ran pretty good actually really really good!!! but now I need a cat converter, I'm thinking about a High Performance one but the thing I would like to know is that if I install one would the SES light remain on as to not recognize the equipment or if their is some way I can unplug the cat sensor. plz help. Oh, and really the car flys ck you cat conveter!
Old 02-21-2012, 09:56 AM

Mein Auto: '91 E30 / '07 X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenx3 View Post
We have an'06 X3 and for the last year or so the car has this disapointing performance when you hit the gas. The RPM,s go zooming to 4000 the car stalls and it starts to shake like if it's going to die. I have to stop the car turn it off and start it up again so the stalling and shaking. After this procedure the car runs ok but the SES light stays on and if i try to accelerate as to pass or for any other reason the car will act up again. We changed the upline 02 sensor, a ripped PVC hose, #4,5,6 coil, and reset the codes and it did nothing. All of this going by what the codes said. My experienced BMW mech checked the Cat converter and found it clogged, so I took it to the dealer they kept the car for a week and they said that according to a smoke check test it needed some o-rings, pro-seals, hoses and a bunch more stuff at all would cost $1,320.00. They said that I had to get this work done so that they could check the cataytic converter. Of corse I did not accept that so I took the car back to my mech. He did the smoke ck, and found no leaks. So we gutted the cat converter and it ran pretty good actually really really good!!! but now I need a cat converter, I'm thinking about a High Performance one but the thing I would like to know is that if I install one would the SES light remain on as to not recognize the equipment or if their is some way I can unplug the cat sensor. plz help. Oh, and really the car flys ck you cat conveter!
Nice! I have to agree... once the kinks get taken out of the way... the darned X3 really does fly down the road. Dunno bout the SES light with a hi flo cat. Does it stay on now, with the gutted cat? If not, then it's probably won't matter later.

BMWCCA Member
Old 06-24-2012, 02:40 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 BMW 330I ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by gzep23 View Post
i have a really important question about my RPMs idk what it was to do with but maybe you know

on the rpm gauge when im coasting at any speed, mostly at like 35 40, and my speed is going down gradually, as are my RPMs, the pointer arm that points to the rpms starts to go up and down really fast but like say at 1200 and 1400 very fast.... idk how to explain it and you can feel it in the car too, like it feels like im lightly tapping the breaks repeatedly....
heres a good example take your index finger and point it than wiggle it up and down really fast but not going all the way down and up maybe only about 10 degrees each way but very fast......sorry its so hard to write lol i could explain it in person easier

I know exactly what you're sayin. Sort of like if you keep your foot on the gas, but not enough for it to accelerate it SHOULD cruise but it doesn't, instead in bounces back and forth between a 100 rpms.

I've been tackling this problem on my '04 X3 for a couple months since I bought it. I changed the valve cover, spark plugs, all four o2 sensors, cleaned the maf, cleaned the throttle body, checked the intake boot and icv elbow for cracks, air filter is clean, oil is changed at the dealer, fuel is always super, tranny reset, had the computer reprogrammed at the dealer (before I changed the o2 sensors), and I'm still having hesitation throughout the power band. When I say throughout I mean from 1500-5000 under low or hard acceleration.

I'm going to disconnect the maf to see if the hesitation away to see if the maf is bad. I have to check the disa valve to make sure its spring is working fine (should've checked this when I cleaned the throttle body ). Is there a way to test the coil packs or clean them maybe? Can I spray crc maf cleaner inside the coil packs? The only SES code I got was for bank 2 sensor 2 no activity/heater circuit and that was the first sensor I changed. Would a bad ccv valve give these symptoms? The car only has 97k miles on it and it's an '04. I don't know what else to do I already brought it in to the dealer and they told me my valve cover gasket was leaking oil (fixed), my oil separator is leaking oil (haven't checked yet), my disa valve is leaking oil (didn't seem like there was any oil leak), and that my o2 sensor was giving a fault code (fixed).
Old 09-19-2012, 04:07 AM
Rob

Mein Auto: '11 BMW X3 'M'
Unhappy Heavy acceleration hesitation

I've been leasing a 2011 BMW X3 'M' version, I am not sure how it's supposed to be called, nevertheless it's for my wife, she wanted an SUV and when the dealership asked what options I want in it, I told him to make it strong and quick, so I got it with the 'M' upgrade with the 3.5 L engine and some 'dressing' upgrade on its body. The thing is now almost 1 year old, and having realized that my wife is not really driving it much, I thought it should get some mileage before the lease is up, I decided to drive it when she doesn't need it.

Sometimes when I am in heavy traffic and I am in the right lane, I see an opportunity to go further ahead in the left lane so I look into the driver side mirror, see that there's no car for about 3 car lengths, so I push the gas to the floor just to make sure I get into the other lane in time... and NOTHING happens for almost 1 seconds. By the time the car "decides" to swing itself into action, the car that was 3 car-lengths behind gets beside me and the X3 almost slings itself into it! *whew!* Quick and heavy action on the break saves everyone from the damages.

Now I was thinking to myself: "I am paying a lease payment of near $1,000 every month and this is what I get?" Hmmm.... Nonetheless, I took it to the dealership for service and they told me it's normal (!!!). I thought to myself "Normal my a**," it simply has to change! But, the "Master Technician" told me there is nothing we can do, if I want to have quicker acceleration, put the thing in "sport" mode. I told him I don't really have the time to put the thing into any mode when I need to get going. By me pressing the gas to the floor I MEAN I want to go not just 'sports mode' but rather 'space' or 'rocket' mode! I mean quick! It felt like the Beemer underneath me is asking: "Do you really want to move?" and then almost 2 seconds later it responds by hurling its engine into action. I told the guy that I expect [and demand] better response from a vehicle priced at over $78,000.

The exact same thing happens when I am cruising at any speeds... and when I want to speed up, it hesitates for almost 2 seconds and only THEN (which feels like a lifetime later) slings itself into action and whines up like a hurting pig... and when I take off my foot from the gas, it still whines for about 2 or 3 seconds before the engine goes back into regular mode... or whatever I can call it... It's really nerve wrecking how I originally expected this to be a fine machine and THIS is what I get. (At first I thought maybe I've just been spoiled by the performance and quality of my S-class Mercedes, but that should not be an excuse for any BMW to perform so poorly.)

Reading the other posts about the hesitation I wish I could do something, but the problem is that this X3 is still under guarantee. I feel like launching a lawsuit against BMW. I am just assuming they won't break my lease agreement and I am stuck with the thing for the full 3 year term.
Old 09-20-2012, 09:53 AM
Ukemi - that's how I roll

Mein Auto: 2013 Audi S4 2010 MT MCS
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllProCanada View Post
I've been leasing a 2011 BMW X3 'M' version, I am not sure how it's supposed to be called, nevertheless it's for my wife, she wanted an SUV and when the dealership asked what options I want in it, I told him to make it strong and quick, so I got it with the 'M' upgrade with the 3.5 L engine and some 'dressing' upgrade on its body. The thing is now almost 1 year old, and having realized that my wife is not really driving it much, I thought it should get some mileage before the lease is up, I decided to drive it when she doesn't need it.

Sometimes when I am in heavy traffic and I am in the right lane, I see an opportunity to go further ahead in the left lane so I look into the driver side mirror, see that there's no car for about 3 car lengths, so I push the gas to the floor just to make sure I get into the other lane in time... and NOTHING happens for almost 1 seconds. By the time the car "decides" to swing itself into action, the car that was 3 car-lengths behind gets beside me and the X3 almost slings itself into it! *whew!* Quick and heavy action on the break saves everyone from the damages.

Now I was thinking to myself: "I am paying a lease payment of near $1,000 every month and this is what I get?" Hmmm.... Nonetheless, I took it to the dealership for service and they told me it's normal (!!!). I thought to myself "Normal my a**," it simply has to change! But, the "Master Technician" told me there is nothing we can do, if I want to have quicker acceleration, put the thing in "sport" mode. I told him I don't really have the time to put the thing into any mode when I need to get going. By me pressing the gas to the floor I MEAN I want to go not just 'sports mode' but rather 'space' or 'rocket' mode! I mean quick! It felt like the Beemer underneath me is asking: "Do you really want to move?" and then almost 2 seconds later it responds by hurling its engine into action. I told the guy that I expect [and demand] better response from a vehicle priced at over $78,000.

The exact same thing happens when I am cruising at any speeds... and when I want to speed up, it hesitates for almost 2 seconds and only THEN (which feels like a lifetime later) slings itself into action and whines up like a hurting pig... and when I take off my foot from the gas, it still whines for about 2 or 3 seconds before the engine goes back into regular mode... or whatever I can call it... It's really nerve wrecking how I originally expected this to be a fine machine and THIS is what I get. (At first I thought maybe I've just been spoiled by the performance and quality of my S-class Mercedes, but that should not be an excuse for any BMW to perform so poorly.)

Reading the other posts about the hesitation I wish I could do something, but the problem is that this X3 is still under guarantee. I feel like launching a lawsuit against BMW. I am just assuming they won't break my lease agreement and I am stuck with the thing for the full 3 year term.
This is the wrong year, but it seems it applies to the transmission sticky up top. Read the first couple of pages. That should make you good and po'd. BMW knows this problem exists and keeps trying to sweep it under the carpet.

Whole reason I went from a 2007 AT to a 2008 MT. And now dont own one as it is clear to me that they havent fixed it. BTW it is complete BS that drive by wire acts this way with all cars. I now have an Audi S4 and the acceleration is so smooth I never know when it shifts.
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7
1984 GTI Wolfsburg Edition Neuspeed and more
Old 09-20-2012, 05:51 PM
Aficionado

Mein Auto: '05 X3, '95 M3, '89 MkI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evlengr View Post
This is the wrong year, but it seems it applies to the transmission sticky up top. Read the first couple of pages. That should make you good and po'd. BMW knows this problem exists and keeps trying to sweep it under the carpet.

Whole reason I went from a 2007 AT to a 2008 MT. And now dont own one as it is clear to me that they havent fixed it. BTW it is complete BS that drive by wire acts this way with all cars. I now have an Audi S4 and the acceleration is so smooth I never know when it shifts.
So did you get an Auto?

Old 09-22-2012, 12:16 AM
Matching beemer & bimmer

Mein Auto: 1999 K1200 & 2001 525
Quote:
It felt like the Beemer underneath me is asking: "Do you really want to move?"
Do you know what a beemer is?
Old 09-24-2012, 07:21 AM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaftdrive View Post
Do you know what a beemer is?
To answer your question, NO, I am not 100% positive about KNOWING what a "Beemer" is. I assumed it is a nick name for BMW. Was I wrong?
Old 09-24-2012, 09:03 AM

Mein Auto: A Gamma Goat
Quote:
To answer your question, NO, I am not 100% positive about KNOWING what a "Beemer" is. I assumed it is a nick name for BMW. Was I wrong?
More than you ever wanted to know on the subject can be found here: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=beemer
Old 09-24-2012, 09:29 AM
Aficionado

Quote:
Don't worry about it, there are people that get way over excited with the use of the "appropriate" word...lol

Old 09-24-2012, 06:18 PM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by usaret View Post
More than you ever wanted to know on the subject can be found here: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=beemer
According to meaning #4, #5, #6 and #7 I was correct. Nevertheless, whatever it means, I have just learned this nick name 3 days ago and I will forget about the entire existence of the complete BMW product line as soon as the lease on the X3 will be completed... or even sooner if I find a lawyer who will assist me taking BMW Canada to court for not having disclosed this major flaw of acceleration hesitation to me at the time of sale.
Old 09-24-2012, 10:39 PM

Quote:
According to meaning #4, #5, #6 and #7 I was correct. Nevertheless, whatever it means, I have just learned this nick name 3 days ago and I will forget about the entire existence of the complete BMW product line as soon as the lease on the X3 will be completed... or even sooner if I find a lawyer who will assist me taking BMW Canada to court for not having disclosed this major flaw of acceleration hesitation to me at the time of sale.

This is exactly WHY they have bought off all the people (and keep no official record of it) that were vocal about it in the beginning. The big mistake they made with me is they only made me sign an NDA on the financial disclosure involved with my Trade Assist, not on me discussing the particulars.

There are now in the thousands of people that have made some complaint relating to the acceleration hesitation issue. Some people don't know its a tranny issue as they are not "Car Smart". If you like the X3 but only hate the hesitation issue, find a manual. Wish I could have sold you my X3 as it was a good vehicle. I just got bored with it.
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7
Old 09-25-2012, 05:48 AM

Mein Auto: A Gamma Goat
Quote:
Originally Posted by x3-terrestrial View Post
don't worry about it, there are people that get way over excited with the use of the "appropriate" word...lol
+1
Old 09-25-2012, 06:51 AM
Rob

Thumbs up

Quote:
This is exactly WHY they have bought off all the people (and keep no official record of it) that were vocal about it in the beginning. The big mistake they made with me is they only made me sign an NDA on the financial disclosure involved with my Trade Assist, not on me discussing the particulars.

There are now in the thousands of people that have made some complaint relating to the acceleration hesitation issue. Some people don't know its a tranny issue as they are not "Car Smart". If you like the X3 but only hate the hesitation issue, find a manual. Wish I could have sold you my X3 as it was a good vehicle. I just got bored with it.
You see I have never had any attraction to any BMW product. When my wife expressed to me that she wants an SUV, I first took her to the Mercedes-Benz dealership and asked her to sit in the ML-Class but she said it's a "bus" (that large). Then I asked her to try sitting in the GLK-Class, but that she found too "square." Then we went home and I showed her the other German makes, like Audi, Volkswagen and BMW (through their web sites). She asked me to try the BMW X3 so we did, and she liked it (after driving it as well). I ordered one over the phone with every option except the heads-up display. Now I wish I did NOT order it without having tried it myself... but then again, I thought I have never liked any BMW product, so she will be the only one driving it, so I didn't really care about it after all... until realizing that she hardly puts any mileage into the thing... (it is being leased for 36 months) so I grabbed it on some of my trips during business hours. And then I started to use the words "damn it" and other words too... I was royally pi**ed about the TRULY POOR performance of the 'thing' especially because it's so superbly expensive. I mean if a Hyundai or a Ford did this type of driving, I'd say it's OK if a Chinese or cheap American product does it, well you know, you get what you pay for... but that was exactly it: At this time I did NOT get what I paid for, + my expectation of German high-end cars were somewhat (VERY) different. That reminds me I scheduled an appointment with our corporate lawyer on Thursday to talk about this very issue, I think we will be able to make some headways. If BMW will respond negatively, I will hire an extra secretary whose job will be nothing but to write to as many blogs as she can possibly do in her working hours about the poor performance of the BMW X3. If she will do it for about five hundred hours, I think I will do a significant dent in BMW's financial status regarding their X-class BMW vehicle sales. Oh, to make it even more effective, I will hire a secretary who can speak and write in both of Canada's official languages (English and French), and it will also help if she is pretty proficient in Spanish and German. I bet that starting about 5 months from now a HUGE AMOUNT of people will floor the X3 or X5 on their test drive and they will remember it very well that the hi-end vehicle they would purchase may effect their (and their FAMILY's) safety if (let's say) a tractor trailer was about to plunge itself into their BMW X3 or BMW X5, and due to the 2 seconds delay they... well, I think you get my point. My I.T. staff will also be ordered to create several hundred web pages as well that will be submitted to all the major search engines. If I were a major management figure of BMW, I would really dislike if any of the BMW shareholders heard about how "our" sales would plummet in the next (long) while. There goes Bayerische Motoren Werke Aktiengesellschaft south... I will let every disappointed BMW X3 and X5 owner enjoy the results right here. *smile*

Last edited by AllProCanada; 09-25-2012 at 06:54 AM.
Old 09-25-2012, 01:20 PM
Aficionado

So his is a F25 X3, are we even sure if it's the same issue? As this is the E83 forum, I suggest taking this discussion to the appropriate model forum.

Old 09-25-2012, 07:52 PM

Quote:
You see I have never had any attraction to any BMW product. When my wife expressed to me that she wants an SUV, I first took her to the Mercedes-Benz dealership and asked her to sit in the ML-Class but she said it's a "bus" (that large). Then I asked her to try sitting in the GLK-Class, but that she found too "square." Then we went home and I showed her the other German makes, like Audi, Volkswagen and BMW (through their web sites). She asked me to try the BMW X3 so we did, and she liked it (after driving it as well). I ordered one over the phone with every option except the heads-up display. Now I wish I did NOT order it without having tried it myself... but then again, I thought I have never liked any BMW product, so she will be the only one driving it, so I didn't really care about it after all... until realizing that she hardly puts any mileage into the thing... (it is being leased for 36 months) so I grabbed it on some of my trips during business hours. And then I started to use the words "damn it" and other words too... I was royally pi**ed about the TRULY POOR performance of the 'thing' especially because it's so superbly expensive. I mean if a Hyundai or a Ford did this type of driving, I'd say it's OK if a Chinese or cheap American product does it, well you know, you get what you pay for... but that was exactly it: At this time I did NOT get what I paid for, + my expectation of German high-end cars were somewhat (VERY) different. That reminds me I scheduled an appointment with our corporate lawyer on Thursday to talk about this very issue, I think we will be able to make some headways. If BMW will respond negatively, I will hire an extra secretary whose job will be nothing but to write to as many blogs as she can possibly do in her working hours about the poor performance of the BMW X3. If she will do it for about five hundred hours, I think I will do a significant dent in BMW's financial status regarding their X-class BMW vehicle sales. Oh, to make it even more effective, I will hire a secretary who can speak and write in both of Canada's official languages (English and French), and it will also help if she is pretty proficient in Spanish and German. I bet that starting about 5 months from now a HUGE AMOUNT of people will floor the X3 or X5 on their test drive and they will remember it very well that the hi-end vehicle they would purchase may effect their (and their FAMILY's) safety if (let's say) a tractor trailer was about to plunge itself into their BMW X3 or BMW X5, and due to the 2 seconds delay they... well, I think you get my point. My I.T. staff will also be ordered to create several hundred web pages as well that will be submitted to all the major search engines. If I were a major management figure of BMW, I would really dislike if any of the BMW shareholders heard about how "our" sales would plummet in the next (long) while. There goes Bayerische Motoren Werke Aktiengesellschaft south... I will let every disappointed BMW X3 and X5 owner enjoy the results right here. *smile*
That is basically how I got mine handled. I had a blog wrote on every "Bimmer" site around and as you may notice got thousands of hits on this site alone. However, X3 terrestrial is right. I might suggest you have the mod start a sticky for the F25 as I did with the E83. BMWNA hates me as it is. I would be happy to help you out
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7
Old 09-25-2012, 08:05 PM
Rob

Red face

Quote:
That is basically how I got mine handled. I had a blog wrote on every "Bimmer" site around and as you may notice got thousands of hits on this site alone. However, X3 terrestrial is right. I might suggest you have the mod start a sticky for the F25 as I did with the E83. BMWNA hates me as it is. I would be happy to help you out
OK, I appreciate your offer. Please help me start another 'sticky' with the right model of vehicle.
Old 09-26-2012, 02:42 AM

Hi All, I've had this acceleration/deceleration hesitation for some time (few months) and been following and reading a few forums about the topic. I see here that some recommend the O2 sensor. I found it to be the fluid in the Transfer Case. Its supposed to be BMW Lifetime fluid (HAHAH). Had mine changed yesterday by a Gearbox (transmission in US) specialist. They replaced the fluid with the proper BMW one (Techron 3?) and reset the "sensors" that measure the viscosity, as read on other forums. This most definitely resolved this for me. The acceleration and deceleration is very smooth.

Whats happening is there are about 6 or 8 clutches in the 4x4 transfer case, always adjusting the traction between 50/50 and 80/20 between front and back. When you pull off, its in 50/50 ratio front/back, and over a certain speed, like maybe 60km/h (2nd gear ?) the ratio starts changing and the various clutches start engaging/disengaging and this is what you feel when they engage or disengage uncleanly. I believe the fluid starts to break down and the viscosity changes and the sensor can only auto calibrate to a certain amount and then there is trouble, which we feel. So, changing the fluid (correct viscosity) and resetting the sensor, the clutches can operate correctly and smoothly again...
Old 09-26-2012, 05:40 AM
Rob

Do you think doing this procedure would not void the warranty on an 8 months old vehicle?
Old 09-27-2012, 08:36 AM
Aficionado

Quote:
Do you think doing this procedure would not void the warranty on an 8 months old vehicle?
Absolutely. (well not ALL the warranty, but...) since most of our E83's are out of warranty already, we handle the problems differently. An he is talking about the transfer case (not the transmission) which should be a different issue than the one you are experiencing. Thus my previous recommendation.