Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E89 Z4 (2009 - current)

E89 Z4 (2009 - current)

Old 08-30-2012, 10:16 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 Alpine White MT 328i
Question Z4, MB SLK or Porsche Boxter?

While I'm waiting for my 2013 328i to be delivered, I'm thinking of what my next car should be. Always wanted a convertible. Always wanted a roadster.

Z4, MB SLK or Porsche Boxter?

All 3 seem quite neat to me.

Ads by Google
Old 08-31-2012, 06:28 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 335is, 2015 X1
First thing you should do is enjoy the 328i while you have it. I just recently traded in my 328xi for my Z4 and I have to admit that I am really missing my 328 right now. It isn't that the Z4 is a bad car in any way, but it is entirely different than the 328. As for your question, I guess only you could really make that determination. The most important thing to me when I begin looking for a new car is does it appeal to me aesthetically. If I don't find a car attractive then there is not much of a reason to go much further. That doesn't mean that the look of a car is the most important factor, but is the first criteria. Keeping that in mind, I tried to like the Porsche Cayman and even looked at them a few different times but I just couldn't like it enough. As for the SLK, I kind of see that as a snotty country club woman's car. Obviously that is just my perception, much like I look at a Volkswagen Beetle as a girls car but that is what would keep me out of the SLK. Now, both may be fine cars, but between your choices I would definitely lean toward the Z4.

BMW 335is, Le Mans blue with Black Dakota leather, Convenience and Premium packages, 19" wheels, 7 speed DCT, heated seats, Nav., Harmon Kardon Logic 7 stereo w/ Satellite radio.
Old 08-31-2012, 06:35 AM

I'm planning on keeping both the 328i and the roadster. Where I live (upstate NY), roadster are useless in the winter.

Actually I like the styling of the SLK a lot. Never thought of that as a woman's car. I can see the snotty bit though.

Old 08-31-2012, 09:27 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 Z4 sDrive 35i
This will probably come as complete and utter shock here on" The Z4 Forum", but....
Z4
Old 08-31-2012, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueZ4AZ View Post
This will probably come as complete and utter shock here on" The Z4 Forum", but....
Z4
It would be great to get some rationale too as I'm completely unfamiliar with all 3 of these cars - all I know is what they look like, their pedigree and pricing.

Old 08-31-2012, 02:33 PM

Mein Auto: MINI
Boxster: slowest to accelerate but best handling
Z4: faster but not quite as good handling at the limit
SLK: touring car

I want a Boxster to autocross and a Z4 sdrive 28i to drive on the street. I can't do both so I'm looking at a '13 Boxster and an '11 35is. If the Z4 had a factory option LSD it would be no contest.
Old 08-31-2012, 03:55 PM

I chose the 2009 Z4 35i over the 2009 Boxster S for 4 reasons:
1) Price
2) Boxster still looks like it did 15 years ago
3) Boxster S does not "feel" as fast as the Z4 as it has less Torque and max Torque does not kick in soon enough
4) Z4 Interior has much better look, feel comfort and ergonomics

I chose the Z4 over the TT primarily because:
1) Z4 exterior design is much nicer
2) Did not like the rice burner characteristics of the TT. Don't know how to explain it any better than that

If the new SLK was available back in 2009 I still would have chosen the Z4 primarily due to:
1) Price
2) Do not like the front end design of the new SLK

Last edited by BlueZ4AZ; 08-31-2012 at 09:47 PM.
Old 09-25-2012, 05:49 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 Z4 3.0si
The new (2013) Boxster S is... well it's incredible. The redesigned exterior (IMO) is fantastic. The top of the car is a lot more flat than it was in years past and the front end is a little more squared off. I'd always thought that they were too rounded for my tastes, but the new one looks like a damn supercar. It drives like its on a rail, daring you to push it harder into turns.

Unfortunately, they're also more expensive and you're unlikely to see the deals that you will from BMW.

I love the Z4. They're (IMO) more pleasant inside, particularly with the added tech (comfort access, iDrive, etc). Spec'd out, they are nearly identical from a performance perspective. Hard to beat the hard top.
Old 09-25-2012, 07:37 AM
zeddy

Mein Auto: '06 330cic ZHP / '07 M35x
Threads like this are pointless - you're talking about three completely different cars, the one you pick will be the one YOU like best after much consideration and a few test drives.

The Porsche is the "race car" of the group, the other two are beautiful cruisers, but all have their strengths and weaknesses - characteristics only the OP can determine for himself.

So, in three years, or whatever, take some time and explore.

2000 Mercedes Benz E320 (daily driver)
2007 Infiniti M35x (wife's)
2006 330 cic ZHP 6sp (current)
2005 Z4 3.0 sp nav x-leather (retired)
2000 323i PP (best car, ever - retired)
Old 09-27-2012, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdCT View Post
Threads like this are pointless - you're talking about three completely different cars, the one you pick will be the one YOU like best after much consideration and a few test drives.

The Porsche is the "race car" of the group, the other two are beautiful cruisers, but all have their strengths and weaknesses - characteristics only the OP can determine for himself.

So, in three years, or whatever, take some time and explore.
Many (especially those of us that own the Z4 and drive it) would not consider the Z4 a "cruiser". An example of a "cruiser" would be the Infiniti G Convertible. The gap between the handling characteristics of the Infiniti and the Z4 is 5 times wider than the gap between the Z4 and Boxster.

...and the Z4 transforms into the sportscar it is supposed to be after one replaces the OEM runflats with proper performance tires.

Last edited by BlueZ4AZ; 09-27-2012 at 09:30 AM.
Old 09-27-2012, 09:59 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 Z4 3.0si
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueZ4AZ View Post
Many (especially those of us that own the Z4 and drive it) would not consider the Z4 a "cruiser". An example of a "cruiser" would be the Infiniti G Convertible. The gap between the handling characteristics of the Infiniti and the Z4 is 5 times wider than the gap between the Z4 and Boxster.

...and the Z4 transforms into the sportscar it is supposed to be after one replaces the OEM runflats with proper performance tires.
I'd never see it as a cruiser... rather a really nice, really fast roadster. Aside from litterally taking it to the track (and maybe even then depending upon your specific build), the Z4 is every bit the blast to drive as the Boxter. While the additional luxury in the new ones draws comments like cruiser, it shouldn't be confused with making it any less of an incredible car to drive. In fact, I love all the gizmos. It's 2012 for gods sake, high beams should work themselves!

They drive different, always have... But its still the one I'd pick...hell just ordered number 3!
Old 09-29-2012, 08:29 AM
BMW and Toyota Enthusiast

Mein Auto: 2009 Z4 sDrive30i
Cruiser? No

This is a Cruiser
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Maze-045.gif
Views:	94
Size:	288.6 KB
ID:	343720  
Old 09-30-2012, 04:51 AM

Mein Auto: E81, E89
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluez4az View Post
this will probably come as complete and utter shock here on" the z4 forum", but....
Z4
+1....
Old 10-01-2012, 07:32 PM
Iwanna330Cic

Mein Auto: '11 E91 & '12 Z4 3.5i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigglebox View Post
The new (2013) Boxster S is... well it's incredible. The redesigned exterior (IMO) is fantastic. The top of the car is a lot more flat than it was in years past and the front end is a little more squared off. I'd always thought that they were too rounded for my tastes, but the new one looks like a damn supercar. It drives like its on a rail, daring you to push it harder into turns.

Unfortunately, they're also more expensive and you're unlikely to see the deals that you will from BMW.

I love the Z4. They're (IMO) more pleasant inside, particularly with the added tech (comfort access, iDrive, etc). Spec'd out, they are nearly identical from a performance perspective. Hard to beat the hard top.
This is just about right. I had a 2009 Boxster for 3 years before getting my 2012 Z4. The other thing about the Porsche is that it is considerably stiffer (hence the "rides on rails" comments) - and it does. BUT - you feel every little crack and bump in the road right up from your butt to your neck. If that doesn't bother you, then that's that. But after a while, it gets really annoying if not downright uncomfortable. The Boxster's mid engine obviously helps the handling, but it also provides an absolutely delicious exhaust note on acceleration that the Z4 just ain't got. Having said that, when in sport or sport+ mode (DCT of course) the Z4's downshift rumble is a sexy sound.

I considered a new Boxster, but reasonably well equipped, it was around $73K, and only $1K off. My 35i Z4 was stickered at $66K, and I got it for $60K.

Also - the Z4 is maintenance cost free for 4 years. The P-Car (to put it simply) ain't!. I'm glad I had a Porsche at least once in my life, but am even more glad to be driving the Z4 (oh - I also have a 328i X-drive sportswagon that gives me a nice change of pace when I'm in the "big car" mood) I have no opinion on the MB.

Doug
Old 10-03-2012, 01:47 PM

Mein Auto: BMW Z4 & BMW 335
Choice

My second car is a 335i and I can tell you it is a blast to drive , but on a different level than the Z4. In choosing my Z4, I looked at the Boxter, Lexus, Mercededs and each in its own right had certain style features which were appealing and also some not so appealing. The bottom line, the Z4 seemed to have just the right amount of features and style lines that were asthelically pleasing and the engine was just right for our needs. The bottom line - I agree with the others who reply - it is a matter of taste when it comes to style and when it comes to performance and handling, in my opinion, BMW wins hands down.
Happy Motoring
Old 10-22-2012, 06:54 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 Z4 s28i
Cool I was in the same situation last month...

Out of nothing, i went to Mercedes to ask for the SLK200. The sales guy offered me a drive test, and i loooooved the car. Smooth ride, comfortable, awesome.
I was almost certain that i would get that one, until a friend (and my gf too) told me to hold and watch the "alternatives". Tried the Boxster, TT, and a Jaguar. I left the Z4 last, because i didn't like the look of it. (but it happens that i only knew the old soft-top model).
The new Z4 was not there, so they offered me a drive test of a series 3 (M package). I loved it. So much, i almost forgot the SLK.
A couple of days later, they had the Z4, and invited me to drive it... I loved it even more.

In the end, i got the Z4 and i love it. And these are the points i looked to choose it (and why i left the others aside):

- It has free mantenaince over 2 years. Boxster has few shops here, and is way too expensive to mantain (same goes for the Jag).
- The TT is a great car. But the service was AWFUL. I had to look for someone to assist me, and the one who did, just handed me a couple of BAD photocopies and thats it. Both Mercedes and BMW, gave me a handfull of full color catalogues with plenty of info. (a little too much xD). Some friends told me afterservice was even worse.
- The SLK has a decent acceleration, and is enjoyable to drive. However, the Z4 has superb acceleration, and is awesome to drive. When i need to pass a slow car on a high speed way, its just fast. The SLK felt heavy and slow to recover.
- The Z4 is a looker. Everyone takes a look at the car. I have got compliments on it while driving top down. The SLK is nice looking too, but people don't look so amazed.
- I don't like Porsche's. Their line, rounded shapes, headlights, i don't know. Cannot get to like them. But it is a great car nonetheless.
- Friends a gf, said that the SLK is nice car, but from the front looks weird. Too low, and too "old guy" looking.
- My Z4 has the M package. Its a little stiffer and you can feel more bumps than the SLK. But in the end, it isn't that deal-breaker. It's a real fun drive.

This were some of my thoughts before taking the decision. Please go and drive your alternatives. In the end of the day, it only matters how you like driving it.

( BTW, i just registered in the forum. I will introduce myself and post pictures of my Z4 soon )
Old 11-12-2012, 07:05 PM

Mein Auto: BMW Z4 35is
BMW Z4 > Mercedes SLK > Porsche Boxster

I carefully considered the Porsche Boxster and the Mercedes SLK 350 before deciding to order the Z4 35is. All were comparably priced with the same options, so that was not an issue. However, in the Z4 28i versus Mercedes SLK 250 price range, there is no contest, IMO, since the acceleration of the SLK 250 1.8 liter engine just is not in the same league as the Z4 28i.

I eliminated the Boxster early on since I am not fond of the styling and I wanted a hard top convertible, not a software. Having never owed a convertible, I figure most of my driving will be with the top up. Summers in Austin are too hot and the sun is too intense for open top driving. Like most places in the US, there is only a month or two of good top down driving weather. By all accounts the Boxster is the best for performance driving...but honestly, how often will I really push the car to the limits in cornering around town?

In comparing the Mercedes SLK350 with the BMW Z4 35is, there are several features that make it a close call. First, the SLK has conventional tires compared to the run-flat tires on the BMW, which everyone seems to hate due to their increased road noise, harsher feel and shorter life. Second, the SLK has more trunk space, which is more noticeable with the top down. Third, the new SLK350 gets much better mileage than the BMW Z4 35is (30 vs 24 highway). Finally, the ride on the SLK is a bit smoother and has less road noise. As a personal preference, that adds up to 4 points in favor of the Mercedes for me.

However, the DCT transmission on the Z4 is so much more smooth and the acceleration without hesitation is just fantastic. Jump on the gas and it just goes! But, for me the deciding factor was styling. I tried to like the SLK350, but the front end was just a bit on the ugly side for me. And I hated the way the side mirrors just stuck out from the side of the door like a tree limb. They seemed to be just out of place. On the other had, the Z4 is just gorgeous from any angle. In fact, it was the styling of the Z4 that made me start thinking about getting a roadster in the first place. I can live with the run-flat tires (or go rogue and change them!), I won't drive it so many miles that mileage will make much of a difference (I have a Lexus hybrid SUV for long trips), the trunk space is adequate, and the road feel is ok and something I did not find objectionable. I did 3 test drives just to make sure.

In the end, I am very happy with my decision...Melbourne Red Metallic Z4 35is. The car is on order and has just finished production.
[IMG]https://dl.dropbox.com/u/25701151/CosyVehicleImage.jpg[/IMG

Last edited by KAJ; 12-23-2012 at 08:09 AM.
Old 11-13-2012, 07:25 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 z4 28i
congrats & enjoy. i finalized an order on a 28i today...mw/canyon brown with a bunch of stuff. i gave strong thouht to the slk but the z4 was much more fun to drive & comfortable over all in every way than the slk250 & a much better value to boot.
Old 11-13-2012, 08:53 PM

The mineral white metallic with canyon brown leather is a stunning combination. I am sure you will love it. I ordered my Z4 on Oct 12 2012, production began on Nov 1 and ended on Nov 10. So now I am waiting for it to be shipped to the US. While waiting for your car, you might find this video of the BMW assembly to be entertaining.

Update: Dec 21, 2012. My car was delivered on Dec 14, exactly 9 weeks after I ordered it. Maybe that will help you estimate the time of arrival of your new car.

2013 BMW Z4 35is, Melbourne Red Metallic on Beige Kansas leather, 18 inch wheels, Heated front seats, Ash Grain Wood Trim, Park Distance Control, Navigation system,
BMW Apps

Last edited by KAJ; 12-23-2012 at 12:59 PM. Reason: Update
Old 12-08-2012, 10:21 PM
Shenanigans

Mein Auto: 2009 Z4 sDrive35i DCT
To, OP. A lot of is very personal. But in my opinion, the Z4 is the best looking out of the three. If you are going to the track a few times a year, then perhaps the Boxter is a better choice. Otherwise I think the Z4 is a great balance between comfort and sport. The SLK is a good car, just not as good as Z4 in just about every metric.

KAS, found another E89 Austinite! You must head over to this thread, pronto!

http://e89.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=708782

Old 12-08-2012, 11:10 PM
Nothing quite like a 6

Mein Auto: 09' 650i Cabrio
Z4 of coz. SLK to thick for the roadster, like a big butt chick. Z4 more like a slender hot chick to me. I used to drive my dad SLK back in the days and love it. IMO the SLK was better looking than the Z4 previous generation, but not anymore. I went to LA Auto Show and so sure about it. Boxster, any Porsche but Boxster.

BMW CCA ID: 473647
Old 12-10-2012, 10:34 AM

Mein Auto: 98 Z3
This is a religious question, like asking, "What's better: Catholic, Baptist, or Protestant?" That said, I've found the BMW to be a bit lighter on the wallet for maintance and repair compared to the other two, especially when you go to the dealer.
Old 12-23-2012, 08:11 AM

BMW Z4 arrived

The Porsche website has the best photos, while the BMW website is probably the worst and certainly does not do justice to the Melbourne Red Metallic, which I purchased. Here are some photos of my new 2013 Z4 35is. If you are looking for a religious experience, maybe this will help.
https://picasaweb.google.com/1151189...9572/BMWZ435is

2013 BMW Z4 35is, Melbourne Red Metallic on Beige Kansas leather, 18 inch wheels, Heated front seats, Ash Grain Wood Trim, Park Distance Control, Navigation system,
BMW Apps

Last edited by KAJ; 12-24-2012 at 08:19 AM.
Old 12-24-2012, 07:31 AM

Mein Auto: 328i
This link isn't working for me.

I did find photos of the 2014 Z4 here. http://autoblog.com/photos/2014-bmw-z4/

OMG! drool drool!
Old 12-24-2012, 08:21 AM

Fixed link

I fixed the link to the photos. Somehow it had gotten truncated.
https://picasaweb.google.com/1151189...9572/BMWZ435is