Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

Old 09-26-2012, 07:19 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to MoezEnt
Mein Auto: 98 Bmw 740 il
Timing chain Problems need advice. 98 740 Il.

Last night when I got home from work I found I heard a noise sounding like a belt or a tensioner of some sort. Took it to 2 mechanics and their both telling me its the timing chain tensioner or something. They told me They have to open it up and its a real big job and im looking at a grand in parts and labor. Im just trying to figure out what are my best option in this case. The car still runs and drives.I have it parked in the garage. Thanks
Advertisement
Old 09-27-2012, 05:48 AM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoezEnt View Post
Took it to 2 mechanics and their both telling me its the timing chain tensioner or something
The "or something" is what confuses my answer below.

Was it the belt tensioner or the timing chain tensioner?

If it's the belt tensioner, these from the E39 bestlinks should help (because the E38 is essentially the same as the 540i):
- How to tell if you have mechanical or hydraulic belt tensioners (1) & how to switch from mechanical to hydraulic (1) and what is the difference between the two types (1) (2) & how to rebuild your hydraulic tensioners (1) & how to re-grease your pulleys and rollers (1) & the answer to the question of adjusting the 540i hydraulic tensioners' belt tension (1) (2)

If it's the timing chain tensioner, these from the E39 bestlinks should help:
- How to replace the timing chain tensioner and rail guide on the M62 (1) & on the M62TU (1) (2) (3)
Your job, in return, is to read the suggested threads, where the best people will always add value to those threads, either by pictures or by descriptions, so the next person with the same problem stands on your shoulders.
See also: E39 Bestlinks & How to easily find what you need
Old 09-27-2012, 04:41 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to MoezEnt
Mein Auto: 98 Bmw 740 il
Thanks Blue bee for your reply. I think what my mechanic was talking about was the chain tensioner. He says its a big job and the whole front has to come out. my car still runs and drives its just making this noise i think on the left side were the chain goes.