Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 09-28-2012, 06:12 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 335i and 2014 X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegendsNeverDie View Post
In what way? Please elaborate? It costs less, has a better chassis, better steering and handling...How did it fail?
Better according to who? The ultimate test driver is you. The buyer. Not some dumbass in MT who can't figure out how to shift right in a manual car so he trashes it.

2013 335i Sportline | M-adaptive | HK | NAV | PDC | Heated Front seats |6-speed MT.

2011 X5 35d Great SUV gone

2009 C350 Mercedes Gone 7-31-2012, good car but boooooooooring.

2008 X5 4.8i - Turned in 1/24/11 They created the Lemon law because of this SUV.
Old 09-28-2012, 06:21 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 328i SP
Quote:
Originally Posted by windsor027 View Post
Better according to who? The ultimate test driver is you. The buyer. Not some dumbass in MT who can't figure out how to shift right in a manual car so he trashes it.
Agreed. It was according to MT, which doesn't mean it is the case however I think this car is an epic success for GM and it is not a failure, at least when compared to the F30.

Last edited by LegendsNeverDie; 09-28-2012 at 06:23 AM.
Old 09-28-2012, 06:22 AM

Mein Auto: '11 E93 335is & '08 535xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
I'm afraid that's a little too much to hope for. The driving event I attended was for the CTS-V. It is VERY good.It competes with the ///M5.
I was about to jump in on this comment before I read your response. The CTS-V would clean the 335i's clock.
Old 09-28-2012, 06:31 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by windsor027 View Post
Exactly, I reserve my judgment after I test drive a 3.6. However reading others can offer knowledge as well.

I have not read ATS's lighter steering until now. It is one data point. Like one data point who said he had to slam the manual in the ATS in 4th gear at 55mph during the 0-60 run. All data require verification. But if enough people complain, the issue is more verified.

As far as 335i beating a CTS-V, whoever you are is a perfect example of a 3 driver fantasizing being a performance car driver, while never have driven in performance contests. Fits BJ's description of a 335i driver quite well.

It is embarrassing to see new 3 series lagging behind a 10 year old 325, or a Civic. At least I have some excuse being a 328i with soft suspension. But when the new BMW turbo I6s (not just one) with aftermarket tunes lag behind, you begin to ask, what happened to the ultimate driving machine?
Old 09-28-2012, 06:45 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 VW GTi
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtc100 View Post
Exactly, I reserve my judgment after I test drive a 3.6. However reading others can offer knowledge as well.

I have not read ATS's lighter steering until now. It is one data point. Like one data point who said he had to slam the manual in the ATS in 4th gear at 55mph during the 0-60 run. All data require verification. But if enough people complain, the issue is more verified.

As far as 335i beating a CTS-V, whoever you are is a perfect example of a 3 driver fantasizing being a performance car driver, while never have driven in performance contests. Fits BJ's description of a 335i driver quite well.

It is embarrassing to see new 3 series lagging behind a 10 year old 325, or a Civic. At least I have some excuse being a 328i with soft suspension. But when the new BMW turbo I6s (not just one) with aftermarket tunes lag behind, you begin to ask, what happened to the ultimate driving machine?
Ok i will admit I kinda jumped the gun with the cts-v vs 335i but if I was to use YOUR track time formula its really close. I looked up the Nürburgring and the CTS-V ran a 7:59 and a e92 335i ran 8:26, the f30 suppose to be faster than e92.

I am still trying to figure out what u mean by lagging behind a 325 or civic? are u talking about AutoX???

by the way have you test driven the f30 335i sport as yet?

Old 09-28-2012, 06:54 AM
BMW Platinum Visa® Member

Mein Auto: BMW L328i
Quote:
In what way? Please elaborate? It costs less, has a better chassis, better steering and handling...How did it fail?
The expert in the Motor Trend video review said that the F30 won and the ATS lost.

That's that. Game over.

BJ

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®
Old 09-28-2012, 06:54 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 335i and 2014 X3 35i
Quote:
The F30 lags behind a 325 and a Civic. you actually wrote this with a straight face? Seriously?

I do agree the poster that said the CTS-V will get beaten around a track by the 335i is way out of line. Never driven a CTS-V but with that power, bremo brakes, magnetic suspension, and the times it has done at the Nürburgring, I don't need to drive it.

However you and I both need to drive the new ATS 3.6 to offer an opinion on how well it takes on the 335i. And no since it seems performance wise both cars are close we should not take the word of some auto journalist.

Again I have no idea why you hate the F30 platform so much because IMO, having owned a E90 I think the F30 beats it in every way, except maybe steering feel BUT once again you can get that back 95% with the dynamic handling package and/or Sportline set in sport or sport +.

BTW on our other argument, I have asked 3 people that have the Sportline model and they all said if you put it in sport + and then press the DSC for 3 seconds (the button is right in front of the switch for the different modes) the TC will turn off completely. Again unlike you taking the word of other people, i will comment on this after i get my car.

2013 335i Sportline | M-adaptive | HK | NAV | PDC | Heated Front seats |6-speed MT.

2011 X5 35d Great SUV gone

2009 C350 Mercedes Gone 7-31-2012, good car but boooooooooring.

2008 X5 4.8i - Turned in 1/24/11 They created the Lemon law because of this SUV.
Old 09-28-2012, 06:56 AM

Mein Auto: '04 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ric124 View Post
I could probably bet that a 335i would beat a CTS-V on a race course not Drag or Nascar but a real race course or AutoX.
No. The thing is with GM, when they build a specialty car, like the CTS-V or the Camaro ZL1, they aren't hampered by the usual GM bureaucracy, and they build a really good car.

The Camaro ZL1 is vastly better than the regular Camaro V8, which is kinda crappy on a race track. Same with the CTS-V.

I'm expecting the same of the ATS-V, it will likely rival the M3, if not beat it.
Old 09-28-2012, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
The expert in the Motor Trend video review said that the F30 won and the ATS lost.

That's that. Game over.

BJ
They said the ATS lost because of its manual transmission. They also said it had better steering, chassis and handling....OUCH!!!
Old 09-28-2012, 07:14 AM

Quote:
They said the ATS lost because of its manual transmission. They also said it had better steering, chassis and handling....OUCH!!!
Dude, I owned your 2009 E90 and it handles like a bread truck compared to the F30.

Notice how the only BMW owners that give a sh-t about the Cadillac ATS are the ones who are stuck in the old model, the dog between the E46 and the F30? Imagine that.

BJ

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®
Old 09-28-2012, 07:15 AM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Quote:
Yes, the F30, too. Even in Comfort the F30 steering is firmer than the ATS and, thankfully, in Sport the steering effort firms up nicely. btw - the steering effort and road feel of the F30 in Sport feels very similar to the Active Steering in my E90. The F30 EPS is not bad as so many of you guys make it out to be. It is just different.
Quote:
You will hate the F30 steering then.
Looks like you missed reading my previous post.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

** Join the BMW CCA www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **
Old 09-28-2012, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Dude, I owned your 2009 E90 and it handles like a bread truck compared to the F30.

Notice how the only BMW owners that give a sh-t about the Cadillac ATS are the ones who are stuck in the old model, the dog between the E46 and the F30? Imagine that.

BJ

That is your opinion, unfortunately its far from the reality.
Old 09-28-2012, 07:18 AM
Freedom isn't free!!

Quote:
Have you driven an ATS?

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **
Old 09-28-2012, 07:21 AM
Freedom isn't free!!

Quote:

BJ
BJ, statements like this undermine any credibility you have when you are not being satirical.

Old 09-28-2012, 07:22 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 VW GTi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris90 View Post
No. The thing is with GM, when they build a specialty car, like the CTS-V or the Camaro ZL1, they aren't hampered by the usual GM bureaucracy, and they build a really good car.

The Camaro ZL1 is vastly better than the regular Camaro V8, which is kinda crappy on a race track. Same with the CTS-V.

I'm expecting the same of the ATS-V, it will likely rival the M3, if not beat it.
Makes sense, cant argue with that.

I also think it may rival or beat the e92 m3 but only time will tell how the new f82 will perform.

Old 09-28-2012, 07:30 AM
Worlds Foremost Authority

Mein Auto: 335i E93 - 750Lix
The game is far from over. The game has just begun and it appears that Cadillac has come up with a much better car than most people suspected they would.

Reviews like Motor Trend, Car and Driver, etc. can only be used as a guide. When two cars are as close as the ATS and the F30 in the opinion of the reviewers you will have to drive them both yourself and come to your own conclusions.

Of course this is a BMW forum and the reaction to a comparo will usually result in it being treated as gospel when good things are said about BMW and the reviewer being called an incompetant idiot when he says something bad about BMW.

I am not taking anybody's word on which car is better until I have a chance to drive both which is unlikely to happen in the forseeable future.

CA

Drivers Club at Lime Rock
The Glen Club
International Motor Racing Research Center
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
Madison Ave. Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Sports Car Club of America
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
American Mural Project
Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum
Mount Washington Observatory
Society of Automotive Historians

Last edited by captainaudio; 09-28-2012 at 08:27 AM.
Old 09-28-2012, 07:34 AM

Quote:
BJ, statements like this undermine any credibility you have when you are not being satirical.
I'm sorry, but I owned both cars, have you?

I'm getting a bit tired of the handful of E90 owners who think that by reading a few reviews and listening to each other speak that they know anything at all about the F30. You guys want to hold onto your used status-symbols and compete with hand-me-down school students for attention, that's cool. Go do it over in your forum. We don't need E90 owners sh-tting on our cars 24/7, acting like some idiotic GM product could spell doom for the 3 Series brand because they hold some grudge against BMW.

I get the fact that the E9X forum has been overrun by high school kids and their used car questions and that all the adults are over here now, but that doesn't mean we appreciate multiple threads on our board telling us how stupid we are for buying cars that are less than a few months old.

BJ

Old 09-28-2012, 07:37 AM

Quote:
That is your opinion, unfortunately its far from the reality.
I'm the only one of the two of us who has owned both cars, so I guess I'll be taking my word for it.

Go back to your forum and piss on the F30 over there. You might meet a high school girl in the process, might get some naked pics and everything.

BJ

Old 09-28-2012, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Have you driven an ATS?
No.
Old 09-28-2012, 07:42 AM

Quote:
I'm the only one of the two of us who has owned both cars, so I guess I'll be taking my word for it.

Go back to your forum and piss on the F30 over there. You might meet a high school girl in the process, might get some naked pics and everything.

BJ
Ok.
Old 09-28-2012, 07:46 AM

Mein Auto: '11 E93 335is & '08 535xi
Quote:

BJ
BJ, it's still OK for you to post in the E90 forum, as we are are welcoming bunch.
Old 09-28-2012, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beden1 View Post
BJ, it's still OK for you to post in the E90 forum, as we are are welcoming bunch.
I guess its ok for him to post his opinions on the E90 forums, but people who don't own the F30 can't post here? I don't get it.
Old 09-28-2012, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beden1 View Post
Quote:
I guess its ok for him to post his opinions on the E90 forums, but people who don't own the F30 can't post here? I don't get it.
I'm active in a single thread whose subject matter specifically asks about opinions of the F30 by E90 owners and those familiar with both cars. For the most part, it's a bunch of my old friends and I having some fun as well as sharing our thoughts on both vehicles.

That's a lot different than multiple threads on the F30 board by people who don't own F30‘s, have no intention of owning F30’s, and want to see the F30 fail. That's not cool.

BJ

Old 09-28-2012, 08:27 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ric124 View Post
Ok i will admit I kinda jumped the gun with the cts-v vs 335i but if I was to use YOUR track time formula its really close. I looked up the Nürburgring and the CTS-V ran a 7:59 and a e92 335i ran 8:26, the f30 suppose to be faster than e92.

I am still trying to figure out what u mean by lagging behind a 325 or civic? are u talking about AutoX???

by the way have you test driven the f30 335i sport as yet?
Yes I have, several times. The N54 335i is more connected, faster, and more fun to drive.

Last edited by dtc100; 09-28-2012 at 08:28 AM.
Old 09-28-2012, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Maybe a even better idea is you stay out of this kind discussions, so the voice of many long time BMW 3 drivers can be heard by BMW, without them constantly being reminded how a bunch of BMW drivers are such snobs?
"...so the voice of many long-time 3 Series drivers can be heard by BMW..."

And that, my friends, is the agenda. The Cult Of E90 think that BMW is watching Bimmerfest, scouring threads for feedback. And they think that this forum filled with F30 owners is the place to sh-t all over our cars because....shh....big brother is watching and he's going to use the shrink-ray and restore the 3 Series back to E36 proportions.

dtc: Your agenda is pointless. All it is doing is aggravating otherwise-happy F30 owners. Stop. Stop now. You think you're quest is noble. It isn't. It's just annoying.

BJ