Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 12-04-2011, 02:20 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1966 Vette 2008 X5 4.8L
Wow, a lot of Wiper tech data on this listing. I replace mine yesterday, as I do every year or my wife will complain of wiper noise. In California we have so much heat the wipers dry out over the summer and squeak in the winter.

I will share that I keep it simple. I buy replacement inserts made by ANCO. The Anco catalog says they don't offer any that work but they are wrong if you are willing to make one small change.

I buy the Wiper Refill ANCO W-28R, this comes with two inserts. The shape is perfect to fit in the OEM wiper arm. The only modification is to cut to length, you are buying 28 inch inserts so the passenger side needs to be cut down to length as does the drivers side. 26 inch would work but they don't offer a 26 inch blade, only 28 inch. I cut it with my dremel tool and then cleaned up the ends with the same dremel to make the ends match the stock look.

The first time you install these you have to open up the one clip where the OEM inserts are locked in. This one clip is slightly tighter than the others on the wiper arm to lock the clip in place. I just slid a medium size flat blade screwdriver in and massaged it a little wider so it matched the other 6 or so supports in size. Just took a minute for the drivers side and again on the passenger side. A simple press on cap locks the insert into the wiper arm.
I like the ANCO W-28R because they are cheap, fast to change and available everywhere for the most part. Some of the big chains no longer carry inserts. Once you use these the first time the second time install is 2 minutes max for both sides.
Just thought I would share, it has worked on my 2002 E39 530i for several years and we are hitting the rainy season now.

My OEM Wiper blade support on the passenger side broke last year, the plastic had aged in the clip that holds the wiper to the arm on so I bought a new OEM wiper blade to fix that last year. Given that history I would consider buying new OEM wipers with the arm every 6 years or so to avoid this.
When mine broke it was being used and did scratch the glass a little before they were shut off.
Old 12-04-2011, 09:39 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 530i Sport Pkg
I get my wiper inserts from Amazon. $3.95 with Prime 2nd day shipping.

These have the metal strips on them.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ScreenHunter_01 Dec. 04 21.31.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	102.9 KB
ID:	303717

Last edited by Blight67; 12-04-2011 at 09:44 PM.
Old 12-05-2011, 07:45 AM

Send a message via AIM to crazyb0064 Send a message via MSN to crazyb0064 Send a message via Yahoo to crazyb0064
Mein Auto: 1997 528i
The advanced auto near me has the trico inserts for the same price as the dealer here, 7 for the pair.

Sent from my PC36100 using Bimmer
Old 12-05-2011, 02:46 PM
resident, old fart

Mein Auto: 2002 540i sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark@EAC View Post
talk about making something harder than it needs to be, lol
That's the whole point. Makes for a longer more confusing thread. How did we manage to buy wiper blades (all of us) before this thread?! Why would one ask how long the wiper blade should be? Go out and measure. The inserts come long. You cut to fit. 5 pages and three years later... If you are paying more that $5 a set wherever you buy them, you are paying too much. KISS
Old 12-06-2011, 07:34 AM

Mein Auto: BMW E39 I6
Tried to buy wiper blades at the parts store and was surprised by how much.

Didn't even know you could buy them this way.

This thread will help me for next time.
Old 01-25-2012, 12:28 AM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
For the crosslinked record, this thread today has useful information on buying the right wiper blades & refills:
- E39 (1997 - 2003) > Wiper Blade Guide?
Your job, in return, is to read the suggested threads, where the best people will always add value to those threads, either by pictures or by descriptions, so the next person with the same problem stands on your shoulders.
See also: E39 Bestlinks & How to easily find what you need
Old 02-11-2012, 11:45 AM

For the record, there is a good discussion on what causes wiper blade chatter over here today:
- E39 (1997 - 2003) > Noisy Skipping Windshield wipers

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceSEA993 View Post
The reason wipers chatter and skip is the blade is not perpendicular to the glass.

When the wiper sweeps one way it is smooth as it is not leaning into the glass. On the return it is leaning into the glass and chatters. Changing blades and arms sometimes can help but doesn't fix the problem.

You can look at this by turning off the key while the wipers are on and stop them in the area where they chatter. You should be able to see the blade "leaning" into the glass.

To fix them, twist the arm (the part attached to the motor post being careful not to torque the motor) so the rubber blade is at right angles to the glass. I have used a couple of crescent wrenches with a shop rag over the wiper to protect the black finish.
Your job, in return, is to read the suggested threads, where the best people will always add value to those threads, either by pictures or by descriptions, so the next person with the same problem stands on your shoulders.
Old 04-17-2012, 05:42 PM

Mein Auto: 01 530i SP
I see the majority confirm going to the Stealer for blade inserts for under $10 per side (more so like 6-$7). So onward and inward I went to listen to them say $10 per side for a cost around $23. Since that price didn't jive w/my pre detailed research of "under $10" I left empty handed. Now back home and re-researching, I see AutohausAZ has the Bosch refill and blade set for $34 while it's only $32 on amazon - w/somewhat mixed reviews. So I'm feeling like I'm going to have to tuck my tail between my legs and go back(to Stealer) to hear "shut up and bend over"!!!! And pay over $20 as many have rightly described as just a piece of rubber and also stated no way they can't gouge you on that!! As a matter of principle, I'd be willing to pay a little extra somewhere else if I could get similar quality. I feel the same arrogance when going to the Apple Store...
Old 04-17-2012, 06:05 PM
Agnostic Priest

Mein Auto: 2001 540i/6
A user at bimmerforums wrote a website with a great search engine for finding bmw parts at the cheapest price.

The website is furiousmethod.com

What happens is you punch in your part number and it searches about 15 different bmw part website (amazon, pelican,eac,autohausaz,etc)
The only thing is each site pops up in its own window so you will have 15 windows to compare for the cheapest price. But other than having to compare the results yourself instead of just getting a list of prices it works well most of the time
3" obx catback
full powerflex urethane setup
545 ssk
cdv delete
m5 rear sway bar
M5 chassis rods
M5 3.15 lsd
Bc-r coilovers w/ swift springs
Akebono=suck
ss braided brake lines

coming soon:

Jb lwfw

Old 04-17-2012, 07:46 PM
Banned

Mein Auto: 540i6
Amazon has cheap replacement for whole wipers and I have amazon prime so free 2 day shipping
Old 04-18-2012, 07:54 AM

I did try it and even tried unclicking many of the sources I'd probably never order from (try to limit online CC exposure) and they all pretty much show (and prove/confirm) my local Stealer is in fact telling me to "shut up and bend over!!" $2-$3 rubber that they're charging over $10!! Since my passenger side metal tip was off the strip and the strip cracked when I tried snapping it back on, I went for the entire Bosch assembly from Amazon (Bosch 3397001539 Wiper Blades - Set of 2), $42 and a few days wait. I'm sure this is about $60-$75 from them!
Old 04-18-2012, 08:19 AM
Big Body Speed

Mein Auto: 01 525i, 09 328x coupe
has anybody thought about running the rain x latitudes wipes...i want to try them the ones i have now from bmw are garbage, its like the wipers are running right over the rain and not taking the rain off the window
Old 04-19-2012, 10:23 PM
Matching beemer & bimmer

Mein Auto: 1999 K1200 & 2001 525
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedninja View Post
the ones i have now from bmw are garbage, its like the wipers are running right over the rain and not taking the rain off the window
Most people seem to say the BMW wiper refills are great. I wonder if you have a problem with old rainx (or some other film) on the windshield. Either that or old wipers or the wiper arm is lax.

Otherwise, the BMW inserts work rather well for most people
Old 04-20-2012, 09:33 PM

My Bosch replacements came (faster than I thought) from Amazon and snapped into place after a few mins of figuring out which way was up! : - ) I did hold on to my OEM kit for the next replacement if I'm able to get "RUBBER" w/metal at a decent price - online from somewhere else obviously. For the passenger side (shorter) as I previously noted, I cracked the plastic trim that holds the rubber - it does not have metal all the way through like the driver side..just the tip that clicks and had come loose and that is what I was trying to snap back onto the plastic when it cracked.
Old 08-19-2012, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdharvey View Post
I cracked the plastic trim that holds the rubber
That happened to me also. I never did replace the broken piece.

BTW, for the record, the what-wiper-refill question came up again today with the latest information here:
-> E39 (1997 - 2003) > Best wipers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren1231 View Post
I have needed new wipers for a while now but haven't gotten around to it because it doesn't rain too often here. What is every one else running? I'd like to throw some Bosch icons or some thing comparable on her but I'm not sure if the clips are matching.
Old 08-19-2012, 12:50 PM

Mein Auto: bmw 530i
Recently went with Bmw blades, now I have two sets,Ill be changing inserts from now on,as Ill always have a set of fresh blades.
Old 09-28-2012, 11:32 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 525i
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidneyj View Post
As mentioned several times. Go to the dealer to get them. I was charged less then $5.00 for a pair. The inserts actually have metal perforated tabs you break or cut off to the size you need.
Called my local dealer now and they said $3.63 each BUT they won't install them for free. He said the same thing about them having the metal tabs that you break off. Has anyone installed these? Just want to make sure its as easy as pulling the old ones off, cut off the tabs for the new ones and slide them on. Any tools besides pliers?

Thanks in advance.

2003 525i | Sterling Gray Metallic

Last edited by ndncdntxn; 09-28-2012 at 11:35 AM.
Old 09-28-2012, 11:54 AM

Mein Auto: '02 530i Sport auto
You don't cut the tabs off anything! Cutting any metal part will render your wiper arms useless. When I buy a blade replacement, all I get is the rubber blade. I reuse the metal strips and the wiper arm.
You do not need to cut anything (unless you have too long of a blade) to replace a wiper blade. At one end of the rubber wiper blade, the two metal strips embedded on either side of the rubber blade are restrained by the attachment clips of the metal wiper blade arm. This keeps the blade from sliding out. Simply take a pair of pliers and squeeze the two metal strips together at the tip that restrains them in the wiper blade arm. This will allow them to pass through the little tabs on the wiper blade arm. Simultaneously pull the other end of the blade and the rubber blade slides out with the metal strips. Reassemble the new blade with the old strips and reverse the disassembly procedure.
Old 09-28-2012, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndncdntxn View Post
Has anyone installed these?
Fudman's explanation is perfect.

See also the first few posts of this thread.
Old 10-16-2012, 10:23 PM

For cross reference, there is a nice thread by Airos today showing why the dealer is not always the best place to buy wiper blades:
- > E39 (1997 - 2003) > $48.12 for two pairs of wiper blade INSERTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by aioros View Post
Yes that's right , that is what I paid at Savage BMW of Ontario, CA $48.12 for two pairs of wiper blade inserts . A pair for my 01 330xi and a pair for my 99 e39. And the pair for my e39 didn't even have the metal blades, the clerk told me that if I'm missing the metal blades I would have to buy the whole wiper blade. Now we know why we call them STEALERS!

As usual, Qsilver7 posted some nice information:
Quote:
Originally Posted by QSilver7 View Post
For your e39...you should have ordered (asked for) part # 61 61 80 154 441...that part nbr comes with the metal reinforcement strip already clipped to the rubber refill. This topic has been discussed many times on the forum to help owners not get confused with the mutiple refill options. BMW sells 2 different refills...and the one set of refills (61 61 8 217 711) costs way more than the one's listed below and usually don't come with the reinforcement strip (as you've found out):

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Wiper Blade Refill Pic 1.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	109.4 KB
ID:	346053   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wiper Blade Refill Pic 3 snap and clip up close.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	126.8 KB
ID:	346054   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wiper Blade Refill Receipt E38 E39.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	346055   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wiper Blade Refill Receipt E38 E39 UPDATE.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	346056  
Old 12-04-2012, 04:27 PM

Is the driver side wiper rubber really thicker than the passenger side rubber strip?

Even after all this, I learned something new today, if it's true.

As we already know, everywhere but in the Silicon Valley, the place to get wiper refills is at the dealer.
Even so, I called all three dealers in the area, asking for price & availability - and - guess what?
One dealer (Fremont) added a new part number to the mix for my E39, saying the driver's side wiper rubber is actually THICKER than the passenger side.
This part number (61.61.0.154.440) had not shown up before (in this thread anyway, except as a replacement for the rear window on the touring).

Here are the relevant quotes:
  1. BMW of Fremont 888-208-9746x3
    • 61.61.8.217.711 $24.74/pair, rubber wiper refill (precut to length)
    • 61.61.0.154.441 thick driver $15.64/pair, rubber refill + metal guide
    • 61.61.0.154.440 thin passenger side $15.64/pair, rubber refill + metal guide
  2. BMW of Mountainview 877-845-1713x3
    • 61.61.8.217.711 no longer available, rubber wiper refill (precut to length)
    • 61.61.0.154.441 $20.00/pair, rubber refill + metal guide (cut to length)
  3. BMW of San Jose 800-298-1501x5x1
    • 61.61.8.217.711 $23.56/pair, rubber wiper refill (precut to length)
    • 61.61.0.154.441 $16.00/pair, rubber refill + metal guide (cut to length)
Q: Is the driver side wiper refill 'really' thicker than that of the passenger side rubber?
  • 61.61.0.154.441 thicker (5.35 mm) driver side
  • 61.61.0.154.440 thinner (4.45 mm wide) passenger side
Note: The screenshot below is from mileoneparts (440, 441):

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	wiper_inserts.jpg
Views:	1642
Size:	20.7 KB
ID:	351990  

Last edited by bluebee; 12-04-2012 at 06:28 PM. Reason: added detail
Old 12-04-2012, 05:00 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 530i
Hmmm, the replacement inserts I get at the dealer are the same width.
OSRAM CBI

BMWCCA Member #337964
Old 12-04-2012, 08:53 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 530i
I just did mine last week. I went to the parts desk and asked for "wiper blade inserts, part number ending in 441". $3.30 each, an even $7.00 for the pair including tax from Devon Hill BMW, Devon, PA.

They fit just fine. The only issue was that the end guide on the Bosch "skeleton" was crimped to hold the old insert in place. I just had to take a pair of needle nose pliers to open up the guide a little bit wider. I only worry that too much bending out and recrimping will end up in a broken guide eventually.

If you are worried that your blade inserts are of different width, no problem. Just slide the lock tabs, drop the blades out, and do a close side-by-side visual inspection. Your eye will be able to pick up any size differences. If you are really worried, just take the blades into the parts desk at the dealership and ask if 441 will fit both.

or alternatively....

take out your micrometer and measure the backbone of the insert currently on each blade, but I think this is overkill.
Old 12-05-2012, 07:25 AM

Mein Auto: 530i 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomolka30 View Post
I just did mine last week.
They fit just fine. The only issue was that the end guide on the Bosch "skeleton" was crimped to hold the old insert in place. I just had to take a pair of needle nose pliers to open up the guide a little bit wider. I only worry that too much bending out and recrimping will end up in a broken guide eventually.
Rather than bending the wiper blade guide tabs, try squeezing the the metal stiffeners in the rubber refill together at the barb. It's possible to squeeze these together enough to slide the stiffener barbs through the guide. For installation, the locator barbs will "self compress" when you slide the refill into position on the blade guides; the slanted portion of the barb will force the compression needed to clear the tabs and locate the refill.

This method also eliminates the chance of introducing a twist into the blade guide tabs as you bend them back. Such a twist can result in the wipers chattering on the glass.
Old 12-05-2012, 07:57 AM

Mein Auto: 00 528i 3 pedals
Just called the dealership in Dulles, VA and they want $16.50 for a pair. What a scam.

EDIT: Just placed an order with thebmwpartstore.com and total was around $9 shipped.

Last edited by BentValve; 12-05-2012 at 12:51 PM.