Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > Motorsports, Racing & Track

Motorsports, Racing & Track
From Formula One to Auto-X, discuss everything related to going fast here...

Old 09-09-2012, 09:19 AM
racer wannabe

Mein Auto: '12 X5,'08 535i, '03 325i
More on Kubica

Today he won small Rally Gomitolo di Lana in Italy.

Last edited by F1Crazy; 09-09-2012 at 09:31 AM.
Old 09-09-2012, 09:26 AM
racer wannabe

Monza always produces great races, I enjoyed it
Looks like FIA will try to put a stop to those silly blocking moves we've seen last few years, I think it's about time, before somebody gets hurt.

After 2 great tracks we are back to mediocre street course
From pictures of the track Austin looks promising.
Old 09-09-2012, 11:58 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E39 540i Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Crazy View Post
Looks like FIA will try to put a stop to those silly blocking moves we've seen last few years, I think it's about time, before somebody gets hurt..
As you are an experienced fan I'm surprised to hear you define the blocking moves to just a few years back. Its been going on at least as far back as Senna's days. As a Senna fan I think you would be aware of that. Then there are the Schui and Ferrari days. Even Schui and Merc were blocking last year and were warned about it.

Dirrezas (4) @ 275/35-18, Eibach springs & bars, Bilstein Sports, Dinan Stage 2, slotted ATEs, Hi-Temp HTP pads, SS Lines, UUC-SS, White/Tan, Bling-free & Stealthy
Old 09-09-2012, 12:30 PM
racer wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by franka View Post
As you are an experienced fan I'm surprised to hear you define the blocking moves to just a few years back. Its been going on at least as far back as Senna's days. As a Senna fan I think you would be aware of that. Then there are the Schui and Ferrari days. Even Schui and Merc were blocking last year and were warned about it.
You're right, it's not a new thing but to me they intensified in the last few years as drivers seem to think they are safe, especially new generation.
Old 09-09-2012, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Crazy View Post
You're right, it's not a new thing but to me they intensified in the last few years as drivers seem to think they are safe, especially new generation.
Agree

Dirrezas (4) @ 275/35-18, Eibach springs & bars, Bilstein Sports, Dinan Stage 2, slotted ATEs, Hi-Temp HTP pads, SS Lines, UUC-SS, White/Tan, Bling-free & Stealthy
Old 09-13-2012, 04:54 PM

Tyres

I disagree with the FIA's and Pirelli's policy of constantly changing tyre compounds and requiring each team to keep up with a new compound at almost every race. It's very artificial. Its like reducing the fuel tank capacity by ~ 20 % and requiring the teams to go easy thru the whole race to preserve fuel.

In my opinion F1 should have a constant and fixed range of compounds so that the drivers can drive as hard as their cars can go. Such that it's a race of drivers and their cars w/o any artificial limits.

Last edited by franka; 09-13-2012 at 04:56 PM.
Old 09-15-2012, 11:29 AM
Cogito Ergo Zoom

Mein Auto: 325iT
Quote:
I disagree with the FIA's and Pirelli's policy of constantly changing tyre compounds and requiring each team to keep up with a new compound at almost every race. It's very artificial. Its like reducing the fuel tank capacity by ~ 20 % and requiring the teams to go easy thru the whole race to preserve fuel.

In my opinion F1 should have a constant and fixed range of compounds so that the drivers can drive as hard as their cars can go. Such that it's a race of drivers and their cars w/o any artificial limits.
I thought they did have a fixed range of tires. There's four dry weather tires (super soft, soft, medium, hard) and two wet weather (intermediate, full wet) compounds. They change the tires they use race to race depending on the demands of that particular track, but the compounds themselves remain fixed for the season.

Besides, Pirelli was given the job of creating tires that would spice up the racing. They've certainly done that. And isn't adapting to change a big part of what F1 is about?

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=...?id=1338939628
"I May Be Going To Hell In A Bucket But At Least I'm Enjoying The Ride"
Old 09-17-2012, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan2263 View Post
I thought they did have a fixed range of tires. There's four dry weather tires (super soft, soft, medium, hard) and two wet weather (intermediate, full wet) compounds. They change the tires they use race to race depending on the demands of that particular track, but the compounds themselves remain fixed for the season.

Besides, Pirelli was given the job of creating tires that would spice up the racing. They've certainly done that. And isn't adapting to change a big part of what F1 is about?
Your 2 paragraphs contradict each other.

Yes Pirelli has four tyre types as you state. But some of the compounds have changed. Pirelli has said at several races that they are bringing new compounds to try out.

And last I don't agree that Pirelli's goal should be to spicy up the race as I said in my previous post. And further if you agree that Pirelli should spicy up the race then you must agree that it is exactly what they are doing.

Last edited by franka; 09-17-2012 at 02:26 PM.
Old 09-18-2012, 04:19 AM
Cogito Ergo Zoom

Quote:
Your 2 paragraphs contradict each other.

Yes Pirelli has four tyre types as you state. But some of the compounds have changed. Pirelli has said at several races that they are bringing new compounds to try out.

The new compounds they bring are for testing with an eye towards what they will use next year, not this. That's F1, nothing technical stays the same year to year.

And last I don't agree that Pirelli's goal should be to spicy up the race as I said in my previous post. And further if you agree that Pirelli should spicy up the race then you must agree that it is exactly what they are doing.
Whether you agree or not, it's the brief they were given by the FIA when they became the tire supplier. They were specifically directed to make less durable tires with a greater gap in performance between compounds.
The idea was to have cars on track with different tires in different states of wear to spice things up. They've done that. Remember the last year on Bridgestone when Vettel pitted with just one lap left at Monza? They wanted to put an end to that sort of thing.

And I can't see how my previous post contradicts itself.

Old 09-20-2012, 05:36 PM

I'm not sure you understand. I recognize that their are 4 types of tyres and there have been 4 types for quite a while. But that is not my point.

A few races back +/- Pirelli announced that they were going to make their soft tyre even softer than it was all season long by changing the tyres compound. The compound is the chemicals that make up the tyre's tread.

Old 09-20-2012, 08:01 PM
Cogito Ergo Zoom

I'm aware of what the tire compound is. I wasn't aware that Pirelli was changing it during the season. Seems like that would put the smaller budget teams at a serious disadvantage. I'm sure HRT doesn't have the simulation capabilities of the big three, and after spending half the year learning how to manage the tires, having to learn new tires could prove quite a problem.

Are you sure the new compound was introduced mid season. Can you find a link? I searched but couldn't find the info.

Old 09-20-2012, 08:09 PM
Cogito Ergo Zoom

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2011/06/2...yres-valencia/

Just found this. Seems like its not out of the blue. In this case at least, the teams did test the new compound before racing them.

I still don't think it's a horrible thing. Change is the name of the game in F1. We're not all that far removed from the tire wars, and now at least, all teams use the same rubber. I think it's still an advantage to the big money teams when this kind of stuff happens, but what else is new.

Old 09-23-2012, 02:25 PM

Quote:
I'm aware of what the tire compound is. I wasn't aware that Pirelli was changing it during the season. Seems like that would put the smaller budget teams at a serious disadvantage. I'm sure HRT doesn't have the simulation capabilities of the big three, and after spending half the year learning how to manage the tires, having to learn new tires could prove quite a problem.

Are you sure the new compound was introduced mid season. Can you find a link? I searched but couldn't find the info.
Yes that does put smaller teams with a disadvantage, but its a shame that took over half the season to get used to the tyres instead of racing all out.

I will look for a link.

Old 09-28-2012, 04:13 AM
Cogito Ergo Zoom

Ham to Mercedes, Perez to McLaren. Who saw that coming? I know Macca had talks with Perez but I didn't believe that would happen.
So now I guess Massa becomes "the devil you know" and will probably keep his seat for another year. Unless maybe DiResta...

Old 09-28-2012, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Ham to Mercedes, Perez to McLaren. Who saw that coming? I know Macca had talks with Perez but I didn't believe that would happen.
So now I guess Massa becomes "the devil you know" and will probably keep his seat for another year. Unless maybe DiResta...
I saw that today about Ham. Who's seat is he taking at Merc.?

When Ham was new with McLaren he promised he would stay with them his whole career. So much for that.

Old 09-28-2012, 12:02 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 528i Sedan
It will be Rosberg and Hamilton at Mercedes. Schumacher's future is uncertain ... retirement or he could possibly go to Sauber.

2006 325xi / Sparkling Graphite / Terra / Walnut/ Steptronic /Premium Package - Nav / Xenons || iPod Adapter | Blacklines (retired 5-1-2014)
Old 09-28-2012, 12:55 PM
Cogito Ergo Zoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpritchett View Post
It will be Rosberg and Hamilton at Mercedes. Schumacher's future is uncertain ... retirement or he could possibly go to Sauber.
I bet we see Schumi driving in DTM or LeMans. No way he drives for anything less than a front line F1 team and those seats are all taken. Besides, he hasn't exactly covered himself in glory the last three years. Hopefully his brain is bigger than his ego and he stops before he waters down his stats any more.

Old 09-28-2012, 01:00 PM
Cogito Ergo Zoom

Quote:
I saw that today about Ham. Who's seat is he taking at Merc.?

When Ham was new with McLaren he promised he would stay with them his whole career. So much for that
I can't think of a recent driver (past twenty years or so) who spent his whole career at one team, excluding guys who only drove for a few short, uninspiring years. I did suspect Ham might stick it out with Macca, but I'm not surprised he left. It'll be funny to see how pissy he gets if Merc can't provide a race winning car.

And now back to silly season. Vettel to McLaren in 2014 with Perez going to Ferrari to fill Massa's seat.

Old 09-28-2012, 02:52 PM

Schu's indecision caused Merc to pull the trigger on Ham. Shu has no ride choice for next year except Sauber.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/102906

Last edited by franka; 09-28-2012 at 05:24 PM.
Old 09-28-2012, 05:22 PM

The contract for the new, New Jersey race has been cancelled.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/102851

Old 09-29-2012, 03:53 AM
Cogito Ergo Zoom

Quote:
Schu's indecision caused Merc to pull the trigger on Ham. Shu has no ride choice for next year except Sauber.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/102906
Basically the same thing that happened to him at Ferrari. There's potentially an open seat at Lotus, but I just don't see it. I think he needs to accept that it's time to stop.

Old 09-29-2012, 03:55 AM
Cogito Ergo Zoom

Quote:
The contract for the new, New Jersey race has been cancelled.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/102851
I'm hoping this is the usual Bernie BS. He did the same type of stuff with Austin and they're ready to roll. A guy I know passed there this week and he said construction is continuing.

Old 09-30-2012, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Basically the same thing that happened to him at Ferrari. There's potentially an open seat at Lotus, but I just don't see it. I think he needs to accept that it's time to stop.
I agree 100 % and Lotus would quit b4 they touched him. They already have a faster guy in the main seat and Grosjean wouod beat Schumi any day, plus he's young.

Old 09-30-2012, 03:47 PM

More on Hami....

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/102969

Old 09-30-2012, 03:51 PM

My man Prost and Red Bull.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/102965

Last edited by franka; 09-30-2012 at 03:53 PM.