Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 09-28-2012, 08:56 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: F30 328i Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtc100 View Post
An example of snobbish behavior is one assumes too much. You have not said anything on topic for awhile now.
Relax babe. I'm sure you will get plenty of more posts in tonight about how awful the F30 is.
Old 09-28-2012, 08:56 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 335i
Caddy

My previous car was a CTS and it was one of the worst car I've ever owned. It had an unbelievable amount of problems. I was also told by a Cadillac employee the new touch screen system is still full of bugs they're trying to work out. GM always does what they have to do to look good on paper but in the real world they always under achieve. My new F30 N55 is light years ahead of my CTS
Old 09-28-2012, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowonfuel View Post
My previous car was a CTS and it was one of the worst car I've ever owned. It had an unbelievable amount of problems. I was also told by a Cadillac employee the new touch screen system is still full of bugs they're trying to work out. GM always does what they have to do to look good on paper but in the real world they always under achieve. My new F30 N55 is light years ahead of my CTS
Some posters here refuse to believe cadillac can put out a bad car.
Old 09-28-2012, 09:03 PM
Worlds Foremost Authority

Mein Auto: 335i E93 - 750Lix
Quote:
My 335i E93 has been extemely reliable (other than the RFT lousy suspension issue), rattle free, quiet, no HPFP issues or "Fluttering Noise". I realize that this is a sample of one and does not represent the overall relibilty of the model (which from what i have recently read is poor).
However if I had a car with a lot of issues, as you did, that would definetely sour me on the brand.

CA

Drivers Club at Lime Rock
The Glen Club
International Motor Racing Research Center
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
Madison Ave. Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Sports Car Club of America
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
American Mural Project
Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum
Mount Washington Observatory
Society of Automotive Historians
Old 09-28-2012, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinnum1 View Post
I think most of us here realize that Cadillac has put out some horrible cars.

CA

The Glen Club
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
American Mural Project
Old 09-28-2012, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post
I think most of us here realize that Cadillac has put out some horrible cars.

CA
I agree, thats why i said some.

Slightly off topic, but i walked into an audi dealer today to check out the new S4, walked around for 5 min, wasn't approached by anyone and walked right out. They did have an R8 GT, damn that car is nice.
Old 09-28-2012, 09:15 PM
BMW Platinum Visa® Member

Mein Auto: BMW L328i
Quote:

Blasphemy.

BJ

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®
Old 09-28-2012, 09:25 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Quote:
My 335i E93 has been extemely reliable (other than the RFT lousy suspension issue), rattle free, quiet, no HPFP issues or "Fluttering Noise". I realize that this is a sample of one and does not represent the overall relibilty of the model (which from what i have recently read is poor).
However if I had a car with a lot of issues, as you did, that would definetely sour me on the brand.

CA
Where have you read that?

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

** Join the BMW CCA www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **
Old 09-28-2012, 09:28 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 328i
Quote:
Relax babe. I'm sure you will get plenty of more posts in tonight about how awful the F30 is.
Thank you for being a loyal follower during the day, now its your bedtime, go check in with BJ.
Old 09-28-2012, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Thank you for being a loyal follower during the day, now its your bedtime, go check in with BJ.
Unfortunately i have to see your nonsense. I'd put you on ignore but i would still have to see your posts when people quote you Stupid bug in the vBulletin software.

Then again i probably would be trolling the F30 forums too with nonsense if i recently purchased a E90 328i right before it was updated.

Last edited by justinnum1; 09-28-2012 at 09:35 PM.
Old 09-28-2012, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
What has been reported from DJ Power was Cadillac is near the top of the satisfaction list in the luxury segment in the US, above BMW. Although I believe it was more recent survey, don't know their ranking in the years past.

One theory about BMW's poor initial satisfaction rating was the free maintenance service. People might complain more when they bring cars in for free services, and do not get what they think they should get. If true, there is no fear, Cadillac has free service for ATS

Last edited by dtc100; 09-29-2012 at 06:25 AM.
Old 09-28-2012, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Unfortunately i have to see your nonsense. I'd put you on ignore but i would still have to see your posts when people quote you Stupid bug in the vBulletin software.
You can always not to open this thread, did you realize that? I fear both you and BJ are getting there.

Quote:
Then again i probably would be trolling the F30 forums too with nonsense if i recently purchased a E90 328i right before it was updated.
You have not been providing anything meaningful at all, other than playing a few other posters' lap dog.

Last edited by dtc100; 09-28-2012 at 10:09 PM.
Old 09-28-2012, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Don't remember and could not find it in a Google search. It was fairly recently and I was a bit taken aback to read that a car that I owned had a poor reliability rating. I basically laughed it off since mine has not had any issues,

CA

Edit:

Found the link:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...e-repairs.html

The fact that they refer to the E93 as a "Soft Top" does not add to their credibility.

The Glen Club
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
American Mural Project

Last edited by captainaudio; 09-28-2012 at 09:41 PM.
Old 09-28-2012, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Don't remember and could not find it in a Google search. It was fairly recently and I was a bit taken aback to read that a car that I owned had a poor reliability rating. I basically laughed it off since mine has not had any issues,

CA
My 2 E90 N54's never had any issues other than a blown speaker a few times but that was because i listened to the music to loud.
Old 09-28-2012, 09:49 PM

Quote:

CA

Edit:

Found the link:

The fact that they refer to the E93 as a "Soft Top" does not add to their credibility.
That is one damn good looking E93 though.

Below is the most recent J D Power survey charts:

http://autos.jdpower.com/content/pre...-csi-study.htm

Looks to me ATS will have the potential to pull Cadillac back with the CUE experience Some thing or two they should have learned from Ford.

Last edited by dtc100; 09-28-2012 at 09:51 PM.
Old 09-28-2012, 10:07 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Quote:

CA

Edit:

Found the link:

Yeah, we had some discussion about that in the poor man's, lowly E9x forum. The general consensus was that it was a load of hooey.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

** Join the BMW CCA www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **
Old 09-28-2012, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Yeah, we had some discussion about that in the poor man's, lowly E9x forum. The general consensus was that it was a load of hooey.
There were quite a few complaints of the leaky convertibles, in fact I recall at least two were lemoned due to the leaks.
Old 09-29-2012, 04:13 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 328i Sport Line MT
Quote:
I owned a 2006 CTS that other than an alignment issue (dealer problem) ran flawlessly. Great engine and tranny. The more recent models have much better interiors. Despite the childish comments on this forum Cadillac is making the best cars in their history. Keep in mind that 4 years ago GM was nearly out of business and had very limited r and d funding.
Old 09-29-2012, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Schott View Post
I owned a 2006 CTS that other than an alignment issue (dealer problem) ran flawlessly. Great engine and tranny. The more recent models have much better interiors. Despite the childish comments on this forum Cadillac is making the best cars in their history. Keep in mind that 4 years ago GM was nearly out of business and had very limited r and d funding.
Unfortunately though, this segment is so competitive, making the best car in Caddy's history is not enough, if the best Caddy in the history lags behind other brands.

On the other hand, the new 3 is clearly more refined and consistent in its drivetrain delivery. I think that alone will appeal to a larger audience in this segment, with the caveat that someone who ranks drivetrain refinement at the top of the list, have many brands to choose from. And if driving dynamics or fun factor is your priority, the field narrows significantly.

The initial reviews seem to suggest that BMW is trying to go after that larger audience, Caddy is trying to capture the more enthusiast oriented group. Whether they succeed or not is yet to come.

Last edited by dtc100; 09-29-2012 at 06:31 AM.
Old 09-29-2012, 07:59 AM
BMW Platinum Visa® Member

Mein Auto: BMW L328i
Quote:

Caddy is trying to capture the more enthusiast oriented group. Whether they succeed or not is yet to come.

BJ

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®
Old 09-29-2012, 08:06 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 328i SP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesonsviggen View Post
NO.

I have Dyno'd both stock S52 and stock N20's now. I am not talking about paper. The S52 is a bit underrated, the N20 is even more so. I have not seen N52s make S52 numbers at dyno days I have been to.

I have freinds with 6mts and friends who are BMW techs. They drove my car and have had plenty of seat time in N52 manuals. Auto's are pokier of course.

But fact is there is about a full second 0-60 advantage between manual N52 and manual F30. That is huge, about twice the advantage of N20 vs N55.

You can't. For me, if I want that inline 6 sound(plus blower whine), I go to the other side of the garage. The other part of me has always loved small displacement FI. I had a stage 2 VW 2.0 TSI CC with a stick before getting the F30. I love the idea of a slightly more aggressive exhaust note without going overboard on this car. You can make a small 4 cylinder sound good without going overboard or sounding juvenile. I had a Borla on my CC, it sounded excellent.
Let me just say that the E36 M3 sedan is my favorite BMW of all times and it is certainly a lot more capable at the track then the E90 328 or the F30 328. However, if you look at the numbers it is nearly identical to the E90 128 and falls behind the N20. I know dynos vary due to many factors but most stock E36 M3's pull about 210hp 205 trq vs the N52's 200hp 190 trq and N20's 230 hp and 250 trq. Again these will vary depending on the vehicle and dyno type. These numbers are also reflected in the acceleration results:

6 speed 2009 328i
Curb weight: 3352
0-60 5.9 secs
0-100 16.1 secs
0-120 24.9 secs
1/4 mile 14.6 @ 96 mph
http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...omparison-test

6 speed 2008 128i
Curb weight 3197
0-60 5.8 secs
0-100 15.7 secs
0-130 mph 31.4 secs
1/4 mile 14.5 @ 96 mph
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...take-road-test

6 speed F30 328i
Curb weight 3434
0-60 5.6 secs
0-100 14.3 secs
0-130 26.7 secs
1/4 mile 14.3 @ 100 mph
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...ad-test-review

5 speed E36 M3 Coupe
Curb weight 3230
0-60 6.0 secs
0-100 16.0 secs
0-130 33.2 secs
1/4 mile 14.6 @ 95 mph
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...vs.-9-3-Viggen)

The 128 and 328 are nearly identical with the E36 M3. Look how much faster the F30 is, specifically the 1/4 mile trap speed which is a good indication of power.

Last edited by LegendsNeverDie; 09-29-2012 at 08:09 AM.
Old 09-29-2012, 08:17 AM

Mein Auto: '98 M E36/7:'13 F30 RWD
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegendsNeverDie View Post
Let me just say that the E36 M3 sedan is my favorite BMW of all times and it is certainly a lot more capable at the track then the E90 328 or the F30 328. However, if you look at the numbers it is nearly identical to the E90 128 and falls behind the N20. I know dynos vary due to many factors but most stock E36 M3's pull about 210hp 205 trq vs the N52's 200hp 190 trq and N20's 230 hp and 250 trq. Again these will vary depending on the vehicle and dyno type. These numbers are also reflected in the acceleration results:

6 speed 2009 328i
Curb weight: 3352
0-60 5.9 secs
0-100 16.1 secs
0-120 24.9 secs
1/4 mile 14.6 @ 96 mph
http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...omparison-test

6 speed 2008 128i
Curb weight 3197
0-60 5.8 secs
0-100 15.7 secs
0-130 mph 31.4 secs
1/4 mile 14.5 @ 96 mph
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...take-road-test

6 speed F30 328i
Curb weight 3434
0-60 5.6 secs
0-100 14.3 secs
0-130 26.7 secs
1/4 mile 14.3 @ 100 mph

5 speed E36 M3 Coupe
Curb weight 3230
0-60 6.0 secs
0-100 16.0 secs
0-130 33.2 secs
1/4 mile 14.6 @ 95 mph
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...vs.-9-3-Viggen)

The 128 and 328 are nearly identical with the E36 M3. Look how much faster the F30 is, specifically the 1/4 mile trap speed which is a good indication of power.
I am fine with what you posted except a more typical time for a 5mt e36 is 14.0 at 99. My car for example even breaks into the 13's stock bitt thats a but unfair. I see plenty of 13 second M3s with little effort. That article is often used as reference by Saab people comparing the Viggen to the E36 because it's pretty much the slowest time found for an E36 lol.

E36/7: Dinan/RMS stage 2+ blower@13lbs of BOOST! 18" BBS LM's, too much more to list
F30: ForgeStar F14 19's summer-OZ Superleggera 17's winter/Rogue Catback/Integral Audio/AFE intake scoop/BMS stage 1

Last edited by Jamesonsviggen; 09-29-2012 at 09:28 AM.
Old 09-29-2012, 09:19 AM

For better sound and performance, I will consider the N20 when the BMW performance exhaust is available installed at the port of entry, and will order DHP. I have pretty much ruled out the ATS 2.0T since I don't see options available to improve the sound. Not going aftermarket route.

That leaves me with only the ATS 3.6L as a contender for "sound proof". Will want LSD option on the ATS too. And of course at that point the 335i will be in the contention, so is the S4.

For now personally there are really no other viable alternatives I can think of. I may still test drive a G37S simply because of its fantastic lease deals, but unless it really impresses me in the driving dynamics and fun department, it will not be a serious option.

Last edited by dtc100; 09-29-2012 at 09:24 AM.
Old 09-29-2012, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesonsviggen View Post
I am fine with what you posted except a more typical time for a 5mt e36 is 14.0 at 99. My car for example even breaks into the 13's stock bitt thats a but unfair. I see plenty of 13 second M3s with little effort. That article is often used as reference by Saab people comparing the Viggen to the E36 because it's pretty much the slowest time found for an E36 lol.
Fair enough. This is by far the fastest time posted for the E36 M3 I have ever seen:

1994 BMW M3 Coupe 5 speed manual
Curb weight 3180
0-60 5.6 secs
0-100 14.9 secs
0-120 23.5 secs
0-130 29.8 secs
1/4 mile 14.3 @ 98 mph

2008 128i
Curb weight 3228
0-60 5.7 secs
1/4 mile 14.4 @ 96.1 mph
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...st_test/?ti=v2

Few years back I used to attend domestic v import events at the local track. I witnessed plenty of E36 M3's running high 14 second to mid 15 seconds 1/4 mile times. Two of my friends owned E36 M3s both with modifications and both running mid 14 second times. Again I am not saying it is not capable of running 13 secs at 1/4 mile with some mods and I am not trying to take anything away from the E36 M3 because it is one of the best sedans ever made. However, I find it a little funny how most people say the N52 is slow when it pretty much matches the E36 M3's acceleration times. On the side note, I am thinking about picking up a E36 M3 as a track toy and keeping the E90 as my daily.

Last edited by LegendsNeverDie; 09-29-2012 at 09:52 AM.
Old 09-29-2012, 09:56 AM

Quote:
For better sound and performance, I will consider the N20 when the BMW performance exhaust is available installed at the port of entry, and will order DHP. I have pretty much ruled out the ATS 2.0T since I don't see options available to improve the sound. Not going aftermarket route.

That leaves me with only the ATS 3.6L as a contender for "sound proof". Will want LSD option on the ATS too. And of course at that point the 335i will be in the contention, so is the S4.

For now personally there are really no other viable alternatives I can think of. I may still test drive a G37S simply because of its fantastic lease deals, but unless it really impresses me in the driving dynamics and fun department, it will not be a serious option.
Throw a AA tune, PE and Eurobox on your E90 and never look back.