Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > General Automotive Forum

General Automotive Forum
All non-BMW car talk goes here...

Old 09-29-2012, 07:51 AM

Mein Auto: Nothing as of now
16, and looking for a car

Im indecisive between a VW diesel that get's 40-60 mpg, or a BMW. I know id look best in a BMW, but you really cant beat 40-60 mpg. Are there any BMW diesels pre 2000 than i can get under $10k? Id like a 350d, but i know i cant afford that. Also i like the 3 series, but the gas mileage isn't all that great with premium.
Ads by Google
Old 09-29-2012, 10:28 AM
Ones and Zeros

Mein Auto: It has two dipsticks
Welcome to bimmerfest, have you test driven either vehicles?
Old 09-29-2012, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Raven View Post
Welcome to bimmerfest, have you test driven either vehicles?
No i haven't, but i do plan on it when i gain a bit more cash. Any recommended BMW's with over 30 mpg?
Old 09-29-2012, 12:18 PM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: Fiver
Quote:
Originally Posted by brando090 View Post
No i haven't, but i do plan on it when i gain a bit more cash. Any recommended BMW's with over 30 mpg?
Have you thought about a Mini? They are pretty cool cars IMO, a blast to drive, and get great mileage.
Old 09-29-2012, 12:31 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 335d, WRX, 325is, Eurovan
You'll have to go all the way back to 1985 to find another BMW diesel model that was officially sold in the US--the e28 524td. http://524td.com/ and http://mye28.com. e28's in general are some of the best BMW's ever made but would definitely require more upkeep then a new VW diesel...

Do you drive a lot of miles every day? Factoring in the higher fuel cost for diesel and probably higher purchase price (compared to a gas model), an extra 10 mpg might not make much of a difference in terms of total cost of ownership. I know if I were 16 again I'd probably go for the BMW over the VW diesel...

Graham

2012 328xiT
M-Sport/Manual/iDrive-free
Old 09-29-2012, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
You'll have to go all the way back to 1985 to find another BMW diesel model that was officially sold in the US--the e28 524td. http://524td.com/ and http://mye28.com. e28's in general are some of the best BMW's ever made but would definitely require more upkeep then a new VW diesel...

Do you drive a lot of miles every day? Factoring in the higher fuel cost for diesel and probably higher purchase price (compared to a gas model), an extra 10 mpg might not make much of a difference in terms of total cost of ownership. I know if I were 16 again I'd probably go for the BMW over the VW diesel...

Graham
Thank you very much, only 1500 made for the US!

As far as miles, it varies of curse. In a week, i plan on putting on probably 100+ miles from work, school, and estate sales,etc.
Old 09-29-2012, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Dreamer View Post
Have you thought about a Mini? They are pretty cool cars IMO, a blast to drive, and get great mileage.
No i haven't, not as good looking
Old 09-29-2012, 07:16 PM
Ones and Zeros

Mein Auto: It has two dipsticks
Quote:
No i haven't, not as good looking
Mini's are great cars and fun to drive. They also do great on gas, I'd suggest looking into them.

Both older BMW's and VW's could very well be money buckets. For an older BMW that does great on gas, I'd suggest a E30 - 1991 318. They are 4 cylinder's and they have a timing chain rather than a belt. Saves a lot on maintenance cost.
Old 09-29-2012, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Raven View Post
Mini's are great cars and fun to drive. They also do great on gas, I'd suggest looking into them.

Both older BMW's and VW's could very well be money buckets. For an older BMW that does great on gas, I'd suggest a E30 - 1991 318. They are 4 cylinder's and they have a timing chain rather than a belt. Saves a lot on maintenance cost.
Ill look into those, what about the 524td?
Old 09-29-2012, 11:54 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X3, Mercedes CLK500
try and find a clean E30!!!! I had one in HS and that thing got awesome fuel mileage and was reasonably quick and very fun to drive.
Old 09-30-2012, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivepointnine View Post
try and find a clean E30!!!! I had one in HS and that thing got awesome fuel mileage and was reasonably quick and very fun to drive.
What were you getting for mpg?
Old 09-30-2012, 07:10 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X3, Mercedes CLK500
staying out of the throttle and keeping it constant on the highway I was getting mid 20's city and low 30's highway...mine was a 325e 5spd with a Dinan chip, short ram intake and Ansa catback, a 325i will get slightly worse mileage.
Old 09-30-2012, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivepointnine View Post
staying out of the throttle and keeping it constant on the highway I was getting mid 20's city and low 30's highway...mine was a 325e 5spd with a Dinan chip, short ram intake and Ansa catback, a 325i will get slightly worse mileage.
I was just looking up some E30's, but i really dont want 20-25 mpg. Im hearing alot about the 328e, what's the e? For efficient?
Old 09-30-2012, 07:53 AM

What do you guys think of this car? Id have to buy it sight unseen, and it looks pretty abused, and he said it had a bad filter and he replaced it, and there is no rust on the car (his words not mine).

http://charlotte.craigslist.org/cto/3274669455.html
Old 09-30-2012, 02:30 PM

Mein Auto: 335d, WRX, 325is, Eurovan
Quote:
What do you guys think of this car? Id have to buy it sight unseen, and it looks pretty abused, and he said it had a bad filter and he replaced it, and there is no rust on the car (his words not mine).

http://charlotte.craigslist.org/cto/3274669455.html
Sure looks like some rust to me, but regardless I'd try and avoid buying anything sight unseen if you can help it. If you keep an eye out on mye28.com for a clean one, it shouldn't take too long for one to turn up, and you can always ask if anyone there is familiar with the car before you make an offer.

And the "e" in 325e and 528e stands for the Greek letter "eta", signifying efficiency...

Graham

2012 328xiT
M-Sport/Manual/iDrive-free

Last edited by GB; 09-30-2012 at 02:37 PM.
Old 09-30-2012, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
Sure looks like some rust to me, but regardless I'd try and avoid buying anything sight unseen if you can help it. If you keep an eye out on mye28.com for a clean one, it shouldn't take too long for one to turn up, and you can always ask if anyone there is familiar with the car before you make an offer.

And the "e" in 325e and 528e stands for the Greek letter "eta", signifying efficiency...

Graham
Thank you.
Old 10-01-2012, 03:12 PM

Mein Auto: BMW
What is your budget for this car? And more importantly, how often do you drive (better answered by how many miles do you think you'll put on in a given period of time...say a week)?

If you drive very little, it may economically make more sense to look at BMW's with more reliability and less maintenance requirement/costs rather than ones of better mpg. Plus, depending on who wins the next presidency, there may be less drilling rules for oil and gas may very well get cheaper or vice versa. So keep that in mind.

Honestly though, if you want good gas mileage, get a Hyundai or something...BMW's really aren't known for or made for good gas mileage, and they aren't exactly known for low maintenance costs and high reliability either.
Old 10-01-2012, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandem View Post
What is your budget for this car? And more importantly, how often do you drive (better answered by how many miles do you think you'll put on in a given period of time...say a week)?

If you drive very little, it may economically make more sense to look at BMW's with more reliability and less maintenance requirement/costs rather than ones of better mpg. Plus, depending on who wins the next presidency, there may be less drilling rules for oil and gas may very well get cheaper or vice versa. So keep that in mind.

Honestly though, if you want good gas mileage, get a Hyundai or something...BMW's really aren't known for or made for good gas mileage, and they aren't exactly known for low maintenance costs and high reliability either.
In the range for $5k, but spending less helps the wallet. I plan on driving at least 100 miles a a week, and i plan on having at least 3-6 road-trips post 1000+ miles. Im not looking to throw $5k into new parts, that's why im wanting one that has been properly maintained, so i can continue that (think 50/50 maintenance (repairs, and regular maintenance) compared to 80/20 (80% new parts and 20% maintenance)). I also like high quality items, so when i have nice things, id like more nice things (ie. nice car).
Old 11-18-2012, 11:18 PM

Mein Auto: MB E350 Cabriolet
Quote:
In the range for $5k, but spending less helps the wallet. I plan on driving at least 100 miles a a week, and i plan on having at least 3-6 road-trips post 1000+ miles. Im not looking to throw $5k into new parts, that's why im wanting one that has been properly maintained, so i can continue that (think 50/50 maintenance (repairs, and regular maintenance) compared to 80/20 (80% new parts and 20% maintenance)). I also like high quality items, so when i have nice things, id like more nice things (ie. nice car).

I know some members might not agree with my suggestion but I think id put it out there.

There are some dealers like myself whom sell HAIL Damage "Rebuilt title" vehicles, sure the rebuilt title kills resale but you can typically get cars with that type of history 40% of kbb.
Rebuilt title are those given to vehicles that are total loss, for accidental vehicles I wouldnt suggest touching a rebuilt, but hail is strictly bodywork.
Find a dealer in your area that can sell you on at a good price, I dont know numbers for VW but for example
2007 Audi A3 sline loaded rebuilt title - KBB was 16 sold for 10K
2007 Honda Accord Coupe rebuilt title kbb 14 sold for 8K
Both these vehicles had pervious hail damage, they were repaired and sold within a week.

You can insure rebuilt titles with geico.
Good Luck!
Old 11-26-2012, 01:41 AM

Mein Auto: E36/4/5
for that budget the only thing decent in the bmw world that won't be an arm and a leg to bring back to life or 'too much car' for someone in highschool = e30, e36 maybe e39 if you're boss enough but expect around 23mpg commute 30+ on the highway with the I6's more with the 4 bangers