Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

Old 09-28-2012, 07:06 AM

Mein Auto: 735 E38
Question Driver Window Relay location

Hi Guys
just joined today this fantastic Site and hope I can help as well as get some Answers about my Car which is a 1999 735 i E38.
The problem started when I installed a new Battery and accidentally touched the negative
Lead 3 times at the negative Battery Terminal and the Driver Windows went down and never gone up.I took out the Multi Driver Window Switch which had a bit of a burned smell and replaced it with a 2nd hand one.All Windows work except the Driver Window.I also noticed that the remote Trunk release is also not working.Don't know if that would be related.I need to know if and where there is the Relay which controls the Dtiver Window Motor.The Fuses are ok but at some stage one of the Fuses blew but no it seems ok.
Maybe the actual Motor is now faulty.At one stage the Motor started working but made a horrible noice as it would have not enough Power or so.Now its again silent and dead.
I fix almost anything on my Cars myself but some electrics give me Problems.
Any help available???

regards
Eddie
Ads by Google
Old 09-28-2012, 02:25 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1997 740iL / 2006 X5 4.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiefisch View Post
...noticed that the remote Trunk release is also not working....
Eddie
Hopefully someone will chime in about the window...but before you give up hope about the interior trunk release button...make sure that you haven't disconnected the trunk from the central locking system.

The trunk has a VALET mode...which you also use with the valet key (has grey/gray head and slightly different key blade cut)....which only works in the driver's door and ignition). If you turn the trunk lock cylinder to its horizontal ( -- ) position...and leave it there...this DISCONNECTS the trunk from the central locking system (see instructions below from owners manual about SECURE SEPARATELY)...and renders the interior release button and central lock/unlock button useless in opening the trunk.

If you are not using your valet key...then keep the trunk lock cylinder in the vertical ( | ) position and this allows the trunk/boot to lock/unlock along with the doors...and also allows you to use the interior trunk release button.

Q {BMW CCA Member #191509}
2006 E53 X5 4.4i (Sterling Gray) 12/05 mfg date <<~>> 97 740iL (Arctic Silver) 3/97 mfg date
(SOLD)
99 540iT (Orient Blue) <<~>> 95 525IT (Alpine White)
91 735iL (Schwarz Black) <<~>> 85 325e (Bronzit)

http://imageshack.com/scaled/grid240/822/e38e532ndsigpic.jpg
Old 09-29-2012, 04:09 PM

Mein Auto: M3, 335Ci, X5d, 750i
Typically if you reverse the polarity on a battery connection you blow the bigger fuses ie 50A which are under the drivers seat (if right hand drive, or pass. side for left hand drive). First check all the fuses and make sure they are getting power with the key on. Most likely you'll find a few rows of fuses with no power. If thats the case you'll want to remove the pass. seat and lift the carpet. You'll find the front power distribution. I would recommend that you use a voltmeter and not a test light.
Good Luck!