Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E39 M5 (1998-2003)

E39 M5 (1998-2003)

Old 08-14-2012, 06:18 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 BMW M5
e39 M5 stalls out

I'm hoping somebody else had this problem and was able to find the solution. I have a 2000 bmw m5. About a week ago, I started up my car and it was idling rough and when I started to drive it, it was somewhat under powered and running rough; I could hear it in the exhaust as well. Then, after a few minutes of driving the car ran fine. This happened again today while driving it. In the evening, when I pulled out of my parking lot, the car felt like it wasn't getting gas, like it was about to stall, and when I gave it gas there was no power and it stalled out after a few seconds. Now, every time I start it it idles rough, like it isn't getting gas, and then stalls out. When I press on the gas it stalls out immediately. The CEL wasn't on and still isn't on. Any one have a clue?
Advertisement
Old 08-24-2012, 05:56 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Was the exhaust note "blatty"? Classic exhaust CPS.

Or fuel issue...fuel filter? When was it last replaced? Could also be a fuel pump dying...

m5board.com
Old 08-29-2012, 09:15 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 BMW M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
Was the exhaust note "blatty"? Classic exhaust CPS.

Or fuel issue...fuel filter? When was it last replaced? Could also be a fuel pump dying...

m5board.com
I had the fuel filter replaced and it ran great again... for 4 days, and then the same symptoms started again, except it didn't ever stall out. The exhaust note was "blatty". I came to the conclusion after doing some research that it was the exhaust CPS but when I took it to the shop they told me it was the intake CPS. I told them to replace all 4 CPS... they charged me $1036. seems kind of steep.

Thanks for the reply.
Old 08-31-2012, 10:09 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnetar View Post
I had the fuel filter replaced and it ran great again... for 4 days, and then the same symptoms started again, except it didn't ever stall out. The exhaust note was "blatty". I came to the conclusion after doing some research that it was the exhaust CPS but when I took it to the shop they told me it was the intake CPS. I told them to replace all 4 CPS... they charged me $1036. seems kind of steep.

Thanks for the reply.
wow. dry anal rape.

did you ask what they would charge before they did the work? sensors are $300 retail, 4 hrs total is very generous.
Old 09-29-2012, 10:55 PM

Mein Auto: e39 Bmw M5, e46 Bmw 330i
I had the same problem due to milage mine is around 105k mile replaced the cats with 200 cel high performance magna flows and now my car sound better and runs so smooth.
Old 10-01-2012, 12:59 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///fast5 View Post
I had the same problem due to milage mine is around 105k mile replaced the cats with 200 cel high performance magna flows and now my car sound better and runs so smooth.
Nonsense.

'due to mileage' is not a reason.

And the magnaflo "high performance" cats are just cheap thin walled converters that will not touch OE in terms of longevity or performance...

Last edited by ard; 11-13-2012 at 09:22 PM.
Old 10-01-2012, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Nonsense.

And the magnaflo "high performance" cats are just cheap thin walled converters that will not tough OE in terms of longevity or performance...
its in expensive thats correct. as performance wise i am so happy with mine and it solved my problem. im not suggesting any products its people personal choice but i suggest to get cats being tested for engine stall problem.
Old 10-01-2012, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Nonsense.

And the magnaflo "high performance" cats are just cheap thin walled converters that will not tough OE in terms of longevity or performance...
its in expensive thats correct. as performance wise i am so happy with mine and it solved my problem. im not suggesting any products its people personal choice but i suggest to get cats being tested for back pressure.