Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 09-13-2012, 03:59 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 330d xDrive Touring
Theft without key

Have members heard the news that BMWs can be stolen without the original key using a piece of kit that can program a blank key once it has been inserted in the slot. However car needs to be broken into first. See http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006...eft-technology
Advertisement
Old 09-13-2012, 07:35 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X3
Hmmm, can we get this fix from US dealers? Shoot, I'd be interested I think!
Old 09-14-2012, 07:11 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to captirwin
Mein Auto: 2013 X3 35i
Very Interesting

Thanks...
Old 09-14-2012, 07:33 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X3 and 118d
Theft without key models suseptible

My dealer has told me F20 1 series and F25 X3's are not affected by the BMW theft system highlighted on BBC tv watchdog programme this week. ie gadget plugged into OBD diagnostics socket. Has anyone been told the same by BMW?
Old 09-14-2012, 08:00 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 M-Sport
I have full replacement cost car insurance. No problemo...
Old 09-14-2012, 08:04 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
I have really never understood the compelling reason to abandon the traditional key, ignition switch, and starter switch all together in a simple package.
Old 09-29-2012, 12:42 AM

Dealer has advised that new security software available for X3 and other BMW models in next six to eight weeks - however you have to register with them as doesn't seem that it will be a general re-call!
Old 09-29-2012, 01:04 AM
Ukemi - that's how I roll

Mein Auto: 2013 Audi S4 2010 MT MCS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Sanford View Post
Dealer has advised that new security software available for X3 and other BMW models in next six to eight weeks - however you have to register with them as doesn't seem that it will be a general re-call!

And it will be reverse engineered as fast as it comes out. The Key (pun intended) is to make your car more undesirable than others. Problem is that BMW will not share schematics for conventional car alarm makers to work with their bus systems. A simple internal motion sensor in the cabin with piezo tweeters set to about 110 db at 1k will remedy this problem (that is pain threshold). I do this with all my vehicles. The noise is so shrill that you cant hold your eyes open. Cant steal what you cant see. If they close the doors to minimize the noise it just makes it worse since they are now pretty much trapped.
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7
1984 GTI Wolfsburg Edition Neuspeed and more
Old 09-29-2012, 11:58 PM

I didn't pay 43000 to have to make my own security modifications to protect my vehicle! BMW themselves have suggested owners fit additional security such as steering wheel bars which makes a mockery of keyless entry. This is what we used to have to do in the 60's and 70's - we appear to be going backwards here. Surely it is easy enough to ensure that the software used to code new keys is only available to bona fide dealers and that keys can only be coded at the dealer and not in the car.
Old 09-30-2012, 05:09 AM
Ukemi - that's how I roll

Mein Auto: 2013 Audi S4 2010 MT MCS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Sanford View Post
I didn't pay 43000 to have to make my own security modifications to protect my vehicle! BMW themselves have suggested owners fit additional security such as steering wheel bars which makes a mockery of keyless entry. This is what we used to have to do in the 60's and 70's - we appear to be going backwards here. Surely it is easy enough to ensure that the software used to code new keys is only available to bona fide dealers and that keys can only be coded at the dealer and not in the car.
I absolutely agree with you, but in the meantime digging your heels in because BMW is foolish won't help you in the long run. And proving they used that method to steal your X3 to seek recompense from BMW would be near impossible without video to prove your point.
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7
1984 GTI Wolfsburg Edition Neuspeed and more
Old 09-30-2012, 07:53 AM

Mein Auto: x3
I purchased a $30 steering wheel bar as a visual detergent. You don't even need to lock the device. If thieves plan to steal your vehicle they will.

However, the high tech thieves might not be willing to carry saws. At least this limits the amateurs trying to steal your vehicle and cause damage if unsuccessful. Do you want your vehicle back if it was badly damaged in their attempts?

Not all systems can guarantee preventing theft. Get good insurance and lower the probability as a target. A steering wheel bar might not be pleasing to see, but a low cost simple solution, so your vehicle would still be parked to drive home.

Last edited by slambmw; 09-30-2012 at 07:59 AM.