Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 09-20-2012, 04:45 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 325i / 2002 530i
What I found in the slpash cover

A few days ago, my son had been driving my i530 for a couple of days. He stopped driving it because he smelled something bad from car. Yesterday I also noticed some stinky smell. I even saw some maggots dropping out of the splash cover area under the engine. Today I dropped the splash cover and guess what did I found: a dead squirrel!

Has anybody had similar experience? How can a dead squirrel get inside splash cover!
Ads by Google
Old 09-20-2012, 05:19 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '97 540i 6 speed
He could have gotten in through the engine compartment. Also, the rear portion of the cover is not sealed up.

Ed in San Jose '97 540i 6 speed aspensilber over aubergine leather. Build date 3/97. Golden Gate Chapter BMW CCA Nr 62319.
Old 09-20-2012, 05:28 PM
Slip slidin around town

Mein Auto: E36 M3
I doubt he as dead when he crawled up on splash guard ha ha, Funny, animals crawl up into cars usually for warmth when it's cold out. Your in California, and it's pleanty warm. Was your 530 sitting for a while prior to being driven by your son? Outside perhaps?
Old 09-21-2012, 06:54 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 540i/6
Quality father/son bonding experience.

2001 BMW 540i/6 Sport, under the knife
Old 09-21-2012, 06:57 AM

Mein Auto: 00 528i 3 pedals
Quote:
Originally Posted by edjack View Post
He could have gotten in through the engine compartment. Also, the rear portion of the cover is not sealed up.
Exactly. It only goes as far back as the front of the subframe. Plenty of room for creatures to get in there.
Old 09-21-2012, 07:26 AM

Mein Auto: '02 530i Sport auto
Here's an even crazier story: This reminds me of the time when I was a teen and we had an unknown animal invade our garage. It was winter and our garage was warm. We had plastic garbage cans and it ate right through them to find a "meal". Garbage was everywhere. So my brother and I put out rat poison. Sure enough, about two days later, the invasion appeared to stop. However, our garage continued to have a certain smell, kinda like dinner from a few nights ago. Every time the Firebird pulled into the garage, the smell would come back. After a day or two, we opened the hood on the Firebird but could see nothing. But the smell was stronger. So we pulled the air filter and lo and behold, a good sized rat was laying dead, right in the V of the V8, And he had dinner from a few nights back scattered around him. He would take food from the garbage, crawl into the engine and sit in the V, where it was warm, to have his dinner. He died right where he ate. After he died, whenever the Firebird was driven, it would reheat the leftovers creating the smell of dinner. I've never seen anything like that before or since. Crazy!
Old 09-21-2012, 09:23 AM

Here is my son's story about how the squirrel got there: the high school he goes to used some poison to kill squirrels. This squirrel ate some rat poison and did not feel well and found a place to keep him warm, which became his resting place. Poor squirrel!
Old 09-21-2012, 02:59 PM
Agnostic Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fudman View Post
Here's an even crazier story: This reminds me of the time when I was a teen and we had an unknown animal invade our garage. It was winter and our garage was warm. We had plastic garbage cans and it ate right through them to find a "meal". Garbage was everywhere. So my brother and I put out rat poison. Sure enough, about two days later, the invasion appeared to stop. However, our garage continued to have a certain smell, kinda like dinner from a few nights ago. Every time the Firebird pulled into the garage, the smell would come back. After a day or two, we opened the hood on the Firebird but could see nothing. But the smell was stronger. So we pulled the air filter and lo and behold, a good sized rat was laying dead, right in the V of the V8, And he had dinner from a few nights back scattered around him. He would take food from the garbage, crawl into the engine and sit in the V, where it was warm, to have his dinner. He died right where he ate. After he died, whenever the Firebird was driven, it would reheat the leftovers creating the smell of dinner. I've never seen anything like that before or since. Crazy!
Ew gross you people eat dead rats for dinner?
3" obx catback
full powerflex urethane setup
545 ssk
cdv delete
m5 rear sway bar
M5 chassis rods
M5 3.15 lsd
Bc-r coilovers w/ swift springs
Akebono=suck
ss braided brake lines

coming soon:

Jb lwfw

Old 09-21-2012, 03:04 PM
Slip slidin around town

Mein Auto: E36 M3
Still better then my sisters cat that liked to sleep in the work trucks engine bay, one day the truck started. Ill just say it did much more then startle the cat. Chop chop chop.. twas a mess.
Old 09-21-2012, 03:06 PM

Mein Auto: 1999 528i
Earlier this summer I had a bag of peanuts in the garage. One morning I opened the hood of my car and found peanut shells all over my engine compartment. The squirrels had found them and were carrying them up under my hood for a nice warm place to dine.
Old 09-21-2012, 10:47 PM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
I keep this in my engine to keep out the squirrels!
Your job, in return, is to read the suggested threads, where the best people will always add value to those threads, either by pictures or by descriptions, so the next person with the same problem stands on your shoulders.
See also: E39 Bestlinks & How to easily find what you need
Old 09-22-2012, 04:44 AM
Agnostic Priest

Nice
3" obx catback
full powerflex urethane setup
545 ssk
cdv delete
m5 rear sway bar
M5 chassis rods
M5 3.15 lsd
Bc-r coilovers w/ swift springs
Akebono=suck
ss braided brake lines

coming soon:

Jb lwfw

Old 09-29-2012, 04:23 PM

The squirrel did more damage than I thought

I just found that the dead squirrel did more damage to me car today!
It is a hot today. I turned the AC on today. No cold air! When I looked the under hood, AC belt is gone!
I did notice a belt next to the dead squirrel the other day. Thinking the previous owner may have dropped it before. I did not pay much attention and threw the belt away with the dead squirrel. Now I know the belt was my AC belt. The squirrel managed to chew belt off.

Is it OK to drive the car without AC belt? I will do the whole cooling system in a month or so. I will get the new belt then.
Old 09-29-2012, 04:35 PM
Hofmeister Kink

Mein Auto: 2003 530i/5
I'd rather find Rocky under my hood than Bullwinkle.
Old 09-30-2012, 09:42 AM

Mein Auto: DINAN 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nline6 View Post
Still better then my sisters cat that liked to sleep in the work trucks engine bay, one day the truck started. Ill just say it did much more then startle the cat. Chop chop chop.. twas a mess.
Have a very similar story to this one. To make a long story short, started my work truck in the early morning, thud thud thud, turned it off quickley, opened the hood saw my fan had pieces missing and there was a cat head sitting under what was left of my fan.
Dinan F&R strut tower brace, M5 F&R sway bars, Koni Sports, Eibach springs, Powerflex polyurethane bushings, Dinan stage 2 engine software, Stage 1 trans software, Zionsville cooling kit, resonator delete, Dinan exhaust, Dinan throttle body, AFE cai, 18' style 5's, 235/40/18 275/35/18, Ultimate cup holders, rear cup holder delete/coin holder, Hella taillights, clear sides, Depo AE, M5 lip spoiler,
Old 09-30-2012, 11:03 AM
JDM killer

Mein Auto: '03 540 m
I have found a dead squirl in my splash guard once but the one that pissed me off was hitting a possum and it knocked out my ambient temp. sensor and left blood on my bumper.

Sent from my SPH-M820-BST using Bimmer App