Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > E63 / E64 6 Series (2003 - 2013)

E63 / E64 6 Series (2003 - 2013)
The E63/E64 BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Old 08-31-2012, 09:20 AM

Mein Auto: 645 2005
Hi Turbo 525,

It's a shame to see a 6 series acting like this.. It's like having a woman with an unpredictable period.. Some times u just cannot 'ride' it what do ever

Last month the car just decided to stop in the middle of the road, it was 2pm and 42 degrees with 50% humidity level.. Nothing worked, no AC, no nothing, decided to wait for 15 minutes to see if it'll start again (usually It does if I'm lucky).. It was the longest 15 minutes in my life,, drivers driving civic or tida passing by staring at u in ur fancy 6 series that won't work, the 15 minutes tested my patience and my wifes's makeup which started to melt after 8 minutes.. Luckily we have an amazing sense of humor.. We just started laughting about it.. And used our sun glasses so no body would recognize us..
After that incident,, my respect to cars with low technological level grow.. I now respect accord, tida, yaris much more than my car..
and it is so frustrating to see that the BMW agency telling u: 'Umm, maybe it's this,, or maybe it's that'.. They just do not know whats the problem!!
Any how.. Let us see what will happen after we change the battery harness and the battery it self!!

Cheers!!
Old 09-25-2012, 01:03 AM

Mein Auto: 645ci
Any luck?

I've had pretty much the same type of problems.

Dead battery.

Replace it.

Few weeks later, random no crank.

Alternator replaced.

Starts reliably for several weeks.

Dies on me on the highway, then no crank... now been at indy shop for 2 weeks, and they can't replicate with much driving, scanning (no codes). Giving it back to me with just cleaned/tightened connections.
Old 09-25-2012, 05:30 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW 650i
Funny you should ask RobertInCO. I've been using a Battery Tender every Sunday diligently, and she has had no issues at all. Sunday She failed to start on me again. I figured, ok, maybe it is just time to put her on the tender. I did Monday came. She started right up no issues. Drove her through the day restarting a few times. Got home parked it, then planned to run out and pick up some items from the store, and she just would not start. AGHHHH. Batshone, she has done this (turn off in the middle of the road) to me too. It really sucks. I've been fortunate enough that there was a pause in traffic and I could get our and shove her into a parking lot. It is so embarrassing to be sitting in such a beautiful car and it just does not work properly. People offer help and you have to tell them, no thank you, my car is just reminding me that she is difficult. I do believe this is a multiple electronic/electrical failure of devices. Since I have replaced the Steering Column Switch (aka Steering wheel alignment sensor) she has not acted odd on the road at all, she shifts better, and over all I feel comfortable again that if she starts I'm getting to where I need to get. I don't worry anymore about her dying in the road.

Turbo 525 I had a Volvo 850 R. Loved that car! She was a rock. Funky electrical problems SUCK! Grin..

Anyway I ordered a Starter and Starter Coil last night. I will replace it this weekend and try it out for a while again and see how she does. It is frustrating that the problem is intermittent

Last edited by houbmw-cm; 09-27-2012 at 10:52 AM. Reason: Typos
Old 09-26-2012, 08:56 AM

Mein Auto: 650i Convertible
Sorry to hear that you are still having this problem houbmw-cm. Hopefully the new starter and coil will work for good this time. Keep us posted.

Previous Cars:
2008 650 Convertible 6 speed manual
2004 645 Convertible 6 speed manual
1994 540 6 speed manual
Old 09-28-2012, 09:50 PM

Well I've had mine back from the shop for 3 days now. Since the alternator was replaced, it's started every time, except for about 15 minutes right after the one time it shut off on the highway (which prompted this trip to the shop). So far, so good... but since they didn't find anything specific, I'm waiting for it to die again.

Do you (or anyone) know if the steering column switch you replaced controls the paddle shifters? It's an SMG and the only other problem with the car is totally non-functional paddle shifters. Wouldn't it be great is this was all related and that was a fix...
Old 09-30-2012, 07:31 PM

Ok I went to change my starter this morning and then discovered that damn that job SUCKS!!! I initialy looked at TIS. It listed 6 steps, sounded pretty easy. 1. Switch off iginition, 2. Follow instructions to disconnect battery. Step 3. (yes seems redundant grin) disconnect negative battery terminal, Step 4 Remove reinforcement plate. Step 5 Remove Exhaust manifold. Step 6 remove starter. Looked easy as hell. I removed the Reinforcement plate then started trying to figure out how to remove the Exhaust manifold, quickly decided to refer to TIS again. Then quickly decided changing the starter SUCKS! The Exhaust maaifold removal takes waay to many steps and looks to be a major PIA. After reviewing the task at hand, thought it would at least take me two days to complete, and I would have to by some more tools, essentially a couple more jack stands So I can rest the motor on one of my jacks while I remove a ton of crap from under the car, including but not limited to Lower front axle support, Disconnect a few hydraulic lines, the AC compressor drive belt, and the right engine support arm. I started wondering what this job would cost at the dealer. I then started thinking I should sell her. I'm so frustrated at this point. This forum is starting to seem more like a support group, LOL. I may decide to try it next weekend, but until then this is all I have to report back.
Old 09-30-2012, 11:59 PM

Sorry to hear that. I have this as my only car in Houston (I split my time in Colorado) and it's been too unreliable for an only car. I'm sure it will eventually get figured out, which I would need to do to sell it... but once it is fixed, I might sell mine too. Too many disappointing memories of being stuck all over town.
Beautiful car... maybe I'll step up to a lower mileage CPO once I get out of this one.My BMW motorcycles have been completely reliable... but I'm torn every time I return the boring rental cars and give this thing another shot at stranding me.
Old 10-08-2012, 06:35 AM

Update - I had my Starter replaced this weekend, on the way to the shop though I rec'd the "Battery Charging Malfunction" off and on as I drove to it. Apparently my Alternator is about to crap out as well. This goes along with my thought process that it was multiple issues and not just one. I'm leaving my car to sit all week and getting the parts to get the job done this weekend. The new starter does make a difference when starting by far though. Before, it just seemed to have a little push to get it started, now though the starter seems to have all kinds of extra umphh in it when it is turning over. I was happy to notice the difference. I can't testing the failing to start thing until I replace the Alternator and the Voltage regulator this weekend. I'll update after that is all complete. I'm feeling pretty good about this resolving my issues and my car getting back to being the Ultimate driving machine, instead of the ultimate question mark, grin.
Old 10-08-2012, 12:01 PM

Hi Houbmw, I placed my car at the guarage yesterday to change the Starter and Alternator as the problem keeps happening..
I should receive it by Sunday..
Will keep everybody posted.
Old 10-09-2012, 05:34 AM

I picked up all the parts yesterday, I decided to go ahead and have a few other things done to try and get her close to 100% again. I am also having the water pump and thermostat replaced, the bearings were getting noisy in the water pump. I
m also replacing the Coolant resvoir as well. I'm hoping that these will be the last repairs I have to do on her for a while. I'd love to start spending money on making her look better instead. Batshone - I hope all works for you after the changes too! I will have mine back Saturday. So looking forward to her being trouble free.
Old 10-12-2012, 09:15 PM

Well, mine's been starting/running for 2 weeks. A record, but still kind of holding my breath. houbmw, when you use a shop, who do you use in Houston?

Thanks
Old 10-13-2012, 03:45 PM

RobertInCO. That sounds great that your ride is acting as expected. I just got my repairs all complete and so far no issues. I'll report back in a week and let everyone know. I found a guy that is up near the woodlands that works for a good price. The work so far has been solid and I am thrilled at this point with the work. PM me if you want me to give you his contact info.

Thanks,

Clint
Old 10-25-2012, 06:30 AM

Update: Great news so far my car is running like a champ. No starting issues. My heart did sink once when I went to start and my foot slipped off the break while starting and it did not start, then I realized what I did, whew!
In Summary: I think I had several problems that caused the starting/dying issues.

SYMPTOMS: failed to statr randomly, would occasionally just die while driving and then would fail to start. inconsistent shifting from transmission.

Steering wheel alignment sensor (steering wheel switch assembly) - Replaced and coded to the car.
Battery Issues -New Battery - Coded and registered to the car - Ctek Charger once a week to keep the battery happy.
Starter - Replaced
Alternator and voltage regulator - replaced.

RESULTS - VERY HAPPY with my car. Now on to upgrades. FINALLY!
Old 10-25-2012, 07:52 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 650 convertible!!!
That is great news!
Old 10-25-2012, 05:37 PM

Mein Auto: '04 M3 / '06 650i Cab
Glad to hear you are reliable now. That is some serious work you did there. It's practically a requirement to learn SSS Progman to work on a BMW these days.
'02 Highlander - kid hauler
'01 330Ci - winter beater

Old 10-26-2012, 12:59 PM

Thanks TampaMark and Yorgi. It is a cool feature to be able to program your car. It sucks that it is not the most user friendly and cooperative at times. I do love this car though!
Old 11-01-2012, 05:55 AM

Update: Well after a few weeks she failed to start again, It only took a minute or so to get her to start back up. I'm hoping it is just due to me testing the battery charging effort. Since she was doing so well I was seeing if the battery tender once a week made a difference. I was at 12 days with out the battery tender, and I had gone through a number of short trips in the last few days. I put her back on the battery tender last night and will be sure to put her on it once a week. I'm so glad I have an electric, i mean hybrid, I mean plug in car, grin... I will update again in a few weeks. if the problem persists I'll keep trying to figure it out. Hopefully the battery tender once a week is all I need to do.
Old 11-03-2012, 08:30 AM

Ok guys, latest update with the car:

Car has been at the BMW agency for 2 weeks.

Replaced the following 2 parts:

1- CAS (Car Access System); basically a fault in the Car key chip-set which can lead to the failing of start. They provided new keys with the process - cost (1000$)
2- DME (Digital Motor Electronics) which controls all key aspects of the engine's operation. (http://www.bmw.com/com/en/insights/t...ectronics.html) - (cost 1300$).

The car has been with me for last couple of days, with no faults, starts very smoothly.

Just want to mention that the battery cable harness cover has been replaced before the failing started to happen.
Battery level is fine.

Just wanted to provide you with some hope if you still have the same situation.

Nevertheless, I placed the car for sale today as I can't afford any other surprises!!! will get Accord or Civic which i know it will never fail in the next 10 years! :-)

Cheers!!!

George.
Old 11-03-2012, 09:00 AM

Mein Auto: 650i Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by houbmw-cm View Post
Update: Well after a few weeks she failed to start again, It only took a minute or so to get her to start back up. I'm hoping it is just due to me testing the battery charging effort. Since she was doing so well I was seeing if the battery tender once a week made a difference. I was at 12 days with out the battery tender, and I had gone through a number of short trips in the last few days. I put her back on the battery tender last night and will be sure to put her on it once a week. I'm so glad I have an electric, i mean hybrid, I mean plug in car, grin... I will update again in a few weeks. if the problem persists I'll keep trying to figure it out. Hopefully the battery tender once a week is all I need to do.
I really hope that this is it and all your efforts pays off. Let us know if it holds up. You must really love the car to put up with all the issues so lets pray that patience is indeed a virtue.

Previous Cars:
2008 650 Convertible 6 speed manual
2004 645 Convertible 6 speed manual
1994 540 6 speed manual
Old 11-04-2012, 10:32 AM

I do love this car. My heart dropped when I read batshone's 2300 electronic replacement set above. The light at the end of the tunnel for me is I woudl have to spend 15K to 20K more to get a comparable car. Spending another 2000-2500 on this one if needed still serves me better than buying another one, grin. I would just like to start spending some money on her to upgrade her a bit instead of repairs. DOH!
Old 11-10-2012, 08:40 AM

Update: Yesterday she would not start. I left her alone for a couple of hours and she still would not start. I repeatedly pressed start, hoping she would eventually start. After about 10 minutes I thought, I'll try a few things. The last thing I tried was the transmission reset. I turned the car on, not started of course, then depressed the gas pedal down for about 45 seconds, with the car still on I placed foot on the brake pedal, then pressed start. She started as if nothing was ever wrong. After this event I decided to put her on the charger last night, that typically makes her happy. This morning she started fine, as usual never an issue. 3 hours later I got back in and went to start, foot on pedal pressed start. The wonderful sound of a faint clickish noise, I left my foot on pedal and did not press the button again, I went to place my head in hand with that sinking feeling of defeat, after about 2-3 seconds of it not starting, it started. I did nothing. Essentially I pressed start, and she did not start, without me doing anything she suddenly started without me pressing stat again. WTF? I'm guessing the software of this wonderful car is loading the system when it attempts to start, and if it is not ready and completely loaded, then she fails. I won't bore everyone with my thought processes on this but the point is maybe press and wait for the car to start is another possibility. Good luck to anyone having these issues. I know it is frustrating. Hopefully this information helps someone.
Old 11-20-2012, 08:46 AM

I've given up. I have traded her in and said good bye to her. Good luck and I hoep some of this inofrmation helps someone down the road either avoid this same thing or discover the real problem.
Old 11-24-2012, 03:03 PM

Can't say I blame you. I've been starting reliably... but those two shut downs while driving keep me nervous.
Old 07-31-2013, 08:01 PM

Well it was doing well for 9 months and now the random no crank, again. Done it about 3x, always on really hot days. Not sure what to try next.
Old 08-13-2013, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertInCO View Post
Well it was doing well for 9 months and now the random no crank, again. Done it about 3x, always on really hot days. Not sure what to try next.
Took the advice of WDKIK and Marine_Corps and changed the Integrated Voltage Regulator Module (IVM) out. It did get rid of my stumble/miss at low speed. So far it's started a dozen times in a row, but we'll see how it holds up.