Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 10-01-2012, 02:02 AM
Fight On!

Mein Auto: BMW M3, Z4 M Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Shafer View Post
Just thought I'd share. This is my other car, now relegated to part-time status.

I love this car very much. There's no way I could sell it..

What a beauty! The E36 is my favorite M3 (the first I6 M3)...

BMW CCA Member #xx4477
2006 Z4 M Coupe (e86) 6MT
2013 M3 Coupe (e92) 6MT
Old 10-01-2012, 07:40 AM

Mein Auto: YA
Why didn't you option the dynamic package? I've heard time and time again on this forum that this was the one option everyone should be getting because it improves handling even more. I'm interested in your reasons, thanks!
Old 10-01-2012, 07:41 AM
Admin • Owner • Enthusiast
Bimmerfest Founder

Mein Auto: E92 M3 Cp
Quote:
Originally Posted by cantona7 View Post
Jon, you need to post more photos of the F30...there aren't enough good pics of white ones!
I'll work on it.. Literally, I've just had one day off work since I got it; need to plan a real photo shoot...

Serving the BMW Online Community Since 1995 • The BIMMERFEST "Internet Special"
Old 10-01-2012, 07:43 AM
Bimmerfest Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by bt1337 View Post
Why didn't you option the dynamic package? I've heard time and time again on this forum that this was the one option everyone should be getting because it improves handling even more. I'm interested in your reasons, thanks!
People might not like my honest answer. I didn't think it's necessary if you are after an "M3-type" feel... I wanted to build the 2013 version (or close to it) of my M3.. A lot of it is ///Marketing.
My 335i is totally fine (read: bitchen) without Dynamic Handling Package... The M Sport is great as-is. Perhaps if I was after a Luxury Line I might have gotten it,,

Old 10-01-2012, 10:25 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '04 330i
Quote:
People might not like my honest answer. I didn't think it's necessary if you are after an "M3-type" feel... I wanted to build the 2013 version (or close to it) of my M3.. A lot of it is ///Marketing.
My 335i is totally fine (read: bitchen) without Dynamic Handling Package... The M Sport is great as-is. Perhaps if I was after a Luxury Line I might have gotten it,,
Could you elaborate, do you mean cause without the package the car is stiff enough?
Old 10-01-2012, 11:56 AM
Fight On!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris90 View Post
Could you elaborate, do you mean cause without the package the car is stiff enough?
The dynamic handling package comes with two features: variable steering and adaptive suspension.

I have no issues with the adaptive suspension, but unnecessary in my opinion. Contrary to the popular belief that a good sport suspension is necessarily stiff, BMW has made some great cars in the past that were both sharp handling and not jaw-breaking at the same time. The sport suspension that comes with the M-Sport Line is one of those. It's one of the reasons I didn't opt for it in my M3 either. It also easier to work on if you decide to get aftermarket springs and such.

I hate the variable steering option as it induces very artificial steering feel (not a linear ratio). It may be nice for parking lot maneuvers, but it's a definite no-no in my book.

BMW CCA Member #xx4477
2013 M3 Coupe (e92) 6MT
Old 10-01-2012, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigma View Post
The dynamic handling package comes with two features: variable steering and adaptive suspension.

I have no issues with the adaptive suspension, but unnecessary in my opinion. Contrary to the popular belief that a good sport suspension is necessarily stiff, BMW has made some great cars in the past that were both sharp handling and not jaw-breaking at the same time. The sport suspension that comes with the M-Sport Line is one of those. It's one of the reasons I didn't opt for it in my M3 either. It also easier to work on if you decide to get aftermarket springs and such.

I hate the variable steering option as it induces very artificial steering feel (not a linear ratio). It may be nice for parking lot maneuvers, but it's a definite no-no in my book.
Thanks. But why are people saying it's a must buy?
Old 10-01-2012, 02:42 PM
Fight On!

Quote:
I don't want to hijack Jon's thread for this, but let's just say that everyone's entitled to his/her opinion. For example, some people consider BMW Apps a must while I consider it useless. At the end of the day, it's your opinion that counts for your purchase. Test drive both and see if it's worth your hard-earned money.

BMW CCA Member #xx4477
2013 M3 Coupe (e92) 6MT
Old 10-01-2012, 03:30 PM

Mein Auto: F30 328i Sport
I agree with Jon, DHP is not necessary, but thats me.
Old 10-01-2012, 05:41 PM
BMW Platinum Visa® Member

Mein Auto: BMW L328i
Quote:
I'll try to decipher:

If you own a Luxury, DHP firms things up considerably.

If you own a Sport, DHP softens things up considerably.

If you own a Luxury without DHP, the ride is what it is, softer than the typical 3.

If you own a Sport without DHP, the ride is what it is, firm per the usual 3.

So it's a "must buy" if you don't fit comfortably in either bucket and need the adjustability. I own a Luxury which is great 99% of the time, but during those 1% moments on fun, twisty roads I don't have the grip of my old M-Sport. DHP and a press of the Adaptive M Suspension mode button would have solved that for me.

BJ

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®
Old 10-01-2012, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
I'll try to decipher:

If you own a Luxury, DHP firms things up considerably.

If you own a Sport, DHP softens things up considerably.

If you own a Luxury without DHP, the ride is what it is, softer than the typical 3.

If you own a Sport without DHP, the ride is what it is, firm per the usual 3.

So it's a "must buy" if you don't fit comfortably in either bucket and need the adjustability. I own a Luxury which is great 99% of the time, but during those 1% moments on fun, twisty roads I don't have the grip of my old M-Sport. DHP and a press of the Adaptive M Suspension mode button would have solved that for me.

BJ
I see - that sounds pretty appealing to me. Soft mode when driving on Massachusett's 3rd world streets, and Sport mode when driving on New Hampshire's glass-smooth roads.
Old 10-01-2012, 06:20 PM

Mein Auto: F30 328i Sport
Hey jon, any word on the october residual and money factor for the F30?
Old 10-01-2012, 08:22 PM
BMW Platinum Visa® Member

Mein Auto: BMW L328i
Quote:
I see - that sounds pretty appealing to me. Soft mode when driving on Massachusett's 3rd world streets, and Sport mode when driving on New Hampshire's glass-smooth roads.
Precisely.

I bought my E90 M-Sport when I lived in New Hampshire on those glass-smooth roads. But I'm down here in NYC now, it was just horrible on this war-zone asphalt. The Luxury line saved me as a customer, for had BMW just put me in a typical "sport" suspension I'd have had to go elsewhere which would have been an awful dilemma for me.

BJ

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®
Old 10-01-2012, 09:42 PM
Bimmerfest Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinnum1 View Post
Hey jon, any word on the october residual and money factor for the F30?
Tomorrow I think...

Old 10-01-2012, 09:45 PM
Bimmerfest Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigma View Post

Eloquently stated. Couldn't have articulated this better myself...

Thanks.

Old 10-02-2012, 07:19 AM

Mein Auto: YA
Well thanks for the reply about the adaptive suspension, it definitely got me thinking. For info our roads in PA are definitely third-world grade.
Old 10-07-2012, 11:54 PM
Bimmerfest Founder

Finally took a couple of new pictures of the new car.. Never thought I would feel it let alone say it. I think I love this one as much as my M3.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0620.JPG
Views:	515
Size:	472.0 KB
ID:	344744  

Old 10-08-2012, 11:16 AM

Mein Auto: 328i F30
Looks amazing! The M-Sport grills make a big difference on AW.

I should get those along with new wheels for my baseline AW.
Old 10-08-2012, 09:20 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 Melbourne Red 335i
Nice !!!!!!

Quote:

Finally took a couple of new pictures of the new car.. Never thought I would feel it let alone say it. I think I love this one as much as my M3.
Santa Barbara has some of the most beautiful Scenery in the World. How about some shots with the Ocean in the Background ? That would be awesome Jon !!
June 9,2012 New Order. 2013 335i Sedan, Melbourne Red Metallic Sport Line, Brushed Aluminum, Leather Dakota Black/Red Highlight, 19" Wheels, Premium Package, Dynamic Handling Package, Technology Package, Sport Transmission with Paddles, Htd Front Seats & Harmon Kardon Performance Center Delivery October 9, 2012. BMWCCA Member since April 2006.
Old 10-08-2012, 09:43 PM
Ones and Zeros

Mein Auto: It has two dipsticks
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD330i View Post
Santa Barbara has some of the most beautiful Scenery in the World. How about some shots with the Ocean in the Background ? That would be awesome Jon !!
With a roof rack with surfboards equipped on it
Old 10-09-2012, 08:48 AM
Bimmerfest Founder

Sounds like a plan...

I now have the best of both worlds (new and old) I think.. Well, maybe an E30 M3 would be more coveted, but I love my E36 as well..

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	J-M3.jpg
Views:	429
Size:	311.3 KB
ID:	344918  

Old 10-09-2012, 10:53 AM

Mein Auto: X3
The white with coral red is super hot!

And it will be interesting to see what you end up with E36 M3-wise. I'm sure you will keep us posted. Having recently given up my beloved E46 M3 to help fund a new Boxster, and now thinking "what have I done?!?"I can relate to keeping the M3 "forever!"

I did not realize you still had the 525 Touring Surfwagon/hauler.

A wonderful collection, Jon!
BMW CCA #115780
'14 X3 35i M sport

Last edited by LMC; 10-09-2012 at 10:55 AM.
Old 10-09-2012, 06:43 PM
Bimmerfest Founder

Mustn't forget the Sort wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMC View Post
The white with coral red is super hot!

And it will be interesting to see what you end up with E36 M3-wise. I'm sure you will keep us posted. Having recently given up my beloved E46 M3 to help fund a new Boxster, and now thinking "what have I done?!?"I can relate to keeping the M3 "forever!"

I did not realize you still had the 525 Touring Surfwagon/hauler.

A wonderful collection, Jon!
Thanks, now with the pair my twins' 1994 E36 318is, we've got (5) Bimmers in the driveway. The neighbors are starting to complain, worried that "Those Bimmers are reproducing like Jackrabbits...".

This is the 2003 E39 525iAT -- unofficially dubbed "The Ultimate Surf Vehicle" back on the original delivery day.

The best part of the deal made right before I retired as GSM of Cutter BMW were the 540i rims.

You see, I had a ultra-wealthy local aristocrat who bout a 540iT the same day, and he wanted to "dress down" the 540i, so he asked if I would swap with him straight across.

"Well, why not...?"

For you BMW trivia buffs, the E39 in 2000 was rated by Consumer Reports as "The Best Car We've Ever Tested".

I will corroborate that assertion for vehicles produced to that particular point in time...

P.S. The gal in the picture is none other than my lovely Norwegian bride Kari.

Our E39 Touring has in fact turned out to be a FANTASTIC BMW. That's why I am electing to keep it in the driveway...

It's getting up there in miles $130k-ish, but it drives like new. I also invested a bunch in a custom tow package, so I figure why not just keep it? It's paid for...

Anyway, here is another shot of the new one..

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	nucar04.jpg
Views:	386
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	345024   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0618.jpg
Views:	349
Size:	480.0 KB
ID:	345053