Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 10-01-2012, 09:36 AM

Mein Auto: 328 xi
Remote programming on rear view mirror

Tried to program my garage door, followed the manual and can't seem to figure it out. The manual says to push the right and left buttons until the led flashes. I don't have an led!? Or at least not where the manual shows it. I did notice a led in the mirror itself above the buttons, but they didn't flash either.

Anyone have success with this?
Advertisement
Old 10-01-2012, 10:00 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 328i
The LED is just to the left of the left (#1) button. I programmed both of my garage doors; it only took a few minutes.

Have you watched this video?

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...9-b027c9df8f55

Last edited by FrogmanF30; 10-01-2012 at 10:02 AM.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:07 AM

Yeah, for some reason I don't have that LED. Sweet!
Old 10-01-2012, 10:11 AM

no LED, but you have the buttons? Weird!

Go to www.bmwvin.com and enter your VIN (last 7 characters only).

Do you have:

S319A INTEGRIERTE UNIVERSAL-FERNBEDIENUNG Integrated universal remote control

If not, then you don't have the GDO feature in you car.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:16 AM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
www.homelink.com - instructions for every country.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

** Join the BMW CCA www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **
Old 10-01-2012, 10:17 AM

I get errors when I entered the last 7. But it should have it, isn't it a standard feature? I have an LED in the mirror itself above the buttons, you have that? Can't figure out that that is
Old 10-01-2012, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
www.homelink.com - instructions for every country.
I understand how to do it, but I don't have the LED light. Maybe just a defective mirror?
Old 10-01-2012, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisF16 View Post
I get errors when I entered the last 7. But it should have it, isn't it a standard feature? I have an LED in the mirror itself above the buttons, you have that? Can't figure out that that is
What error are you getting from bmwvin? Can you PM me your last seven characters of your VIN. It's a letter followed by 6 digits.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogmanF30 View Post
What error are you getting from bmwvin? Can you PM me your last seven characters of your VIN. It's a letter followed by 6 digits.
I had this problem before when I tried adding it in the mybmw site. Didn't work pre build and for some reason still doesn't work. Just says unable to locate vehicle.
Old 01-26-2013, 01:50 PM

Mein Auto: '13 328i Imperial Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisF16 View Post
Tried to program my garage door, followed the manual and can't seem to figure it out. The manual says to push the right and left buttons until the led flashes. I don't have an led!? Or at least not where the manual shows it. I did notice a led in the mirror itself above the buttons, but they didn't flash either.

Anyone have success with this?
The LED is now embedded in the mirror, not next to the #1 button. The yellow LED is above button #2 in the reflective part of the mirror. The manuals and the video refer to the old way. I just got my new F30 yesterday and today is setup day and tried to follow the manual. I also feel like an idiot because I skipped step#1 -turn on ignition and went straight for the button pushing and never saw the light, just looking for the stub LED I was use to in my previous 530i and 328i.

I also checked the BMWVin site and it shows I have the Integrated Universal Remote.
Old 01-26-2013, 02:00 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 335i Sport Sedan
I gave up using these built-in garage door openers 5 cars ago. My garage door opener came with 3 push button openers. I'm perfectly ok with them. It's a Chamberlain by the way. I just slide it into place on the sun visor, and I'm done. I have better things to do on a Saturday afternoon.

Last edited by krash; 01-26-2013 at 02:01 PM.
Old 01-26-2013, 04:34 PM

Mein Auto: '13 328i
I programmed mine last November when I first got it so its been a while. Still, I recall that the red LED is integrated into the mirror, you can't see it unless its blinking.
Old 01-26-2013, 05:50 PM
BMW Platinum VisaŽ Member

Mein Auto: BMW M428i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlukja View Post
I programmed mine last November when I first got it so its been a while. Still, I recall that the red LED is integrated into the mirror, you can't see it unless its blinking.
1. The light is in the mirror.

2. You need to use the remote that came with your garage opener to program too. The owners manual doesn't make that clear. You need the button on the garage motor, the button on the mirror, and the button on the remote to make this work.

BJ

2015 BMW 428i Gran Coupe | M-Sport Line | Premium | Technology | DHP | HK | Driver Assistance
Mineral Grey Metallic | Coral Red Leather | Park Assist | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House
Old 01-27-2013, 08:45 AM

Mein Auto: '13 328i Imperial Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by krash View Post
I gave up using these built-in garage door openers 5 cars ago. My garage door opener came with 3 push button openers. I'm perfectly ok with them. It's a Chamberlain by the way. I just slide it into place on the sun visor, and I'm done. I have better things to do on a Saturday afternoon.
I enjoyed my afternoon with my one day old brand new BMW discovering this great machine, both on the road and in the garage!
Old 01-27-2013, 09:27 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 328 xdrive
Quote:
Ahh but the beauty of built in is I also programed in my security gate where I work. Yes I work in the rough part of Philly so we have barbed wire fencing around the parking lot.

2011 328xi. Space Grey, Beige Dakota Leather, Premium pkg., Value pkg., NAV, SAT, Heated SW, Steptronic,
Old 01-27-2013, 11:54 AM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Quote:
That's a shame. The programming is not hard to do.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

** Join the BMW CCA www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **
Old 01-27-2013, 01:54 PM

Mein Auto: '12 BMW 328, '11 Audi Q5
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
1. The light is in the mirror.

2. You need to use the remote that came with your garage opener to program too. The owners manual doesn't make that clear. You need the button on the garage motor, the button on the mirror, and the button on the remote to make this work.

BJ

Only with scrolling codes. Without scrolling codes you do not need the garage motor button.

I must say I had initial issues when programming the F30 for scrolling (garage) and non-scrolling (gate) codes. I was impressed with a recently purchased Audi (Q5) - the car directed me through the steps in the MMI user interface and it worked first time.

Old 01-27-2013, 02:12 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 328i
Quote:
Mine is a Chamberlain too and I was able to program it very easily. In addition, using button #3 in the car, I was able to program my son's Sears garage door opener. We get our grandson from school every day.

See BJ' answer above about using your remote in order to successful program the unit in the car...

Last edited by HugH; 01-27-2013 at 02:16 PM.
Old 01-27-2013, 07:56 PM

Mein Auto: '13 328xi
I had trouble, too. Don't give up. Try replacing the battery in your remote, AND parking your car directly under the opener in your garage. Your unit may not be reaching the car even if parked right in front of the garage.

Last edited by CE750Jockey; 01-27-2013 at 08:49 PM.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
That's a shame. The programming is not hard to do.
Yeah, I know. It's sort of ironic, because I'm an early adapter and a technologist by profession. I typically load up my cars with all the gadgets you can possibly get.

But when it comes to the garage door openers, I stick with the bulky plastic buttons that come with the garage door openers, and simply slide 'em into place on the sun visor. Perfect!

Last edited by krash; 01-27-2013 at 08:50 PM.
Old 01-27-2013, 09:10 PM
BMW Platinum VisaŽ Member

Mein Auto: BMW M428i
Quote:
Yeah, I know. It's sort of ironic, because I'm an early adapter and a technologist by profession. I typically load up my cars with all the gadgets you can possibly get.

But when it comes to the garage door openers, I stick with the bulky plastic buttons that come with the garage door openers, and simply slide 'em into place on the sun visor. Perfect!
I was just about to create the Sun Visor Thread but might as well state it here:

The F30 sun visors are very tight to the ceiling, I doubt you'll be happy with the garage remote's clip and how it'll make the visor fall down from the ceiling.

They are so tight, in fact, that with a pair of gloves up here in the frigid northeast I can't get the visors down without taking my gloves off, and they're not very thick ones either.

BJ

2015 BMW 428i Gran Coupe | M-Sport Line | Premium | Technology | DHP | HK | Driver Assistance
Mineral Grey Metallic | Coral Red Leather | Park Assist | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House
Old 01-29-2013, 02:05 PM

Send a message via AIM to vern
Mein Auto: 01 330ci 05 530i 06 X3
Thumbs up

If you still have trouble after reading the manual and following the tips that were posted,call homelink direct and they will walk you through it step by step. Good luck
cheers
vern
2012 335iA Blk. Sapphire- Sport-Blk. Dakota Leather/Red-Brushed Alum.Trim-DAP-PP-CWP Rear View Camera-BMW Asst w/Enhanced BT&USB-High Gloss Blk.Trim Hghight-PSP-Speed Limit Info-Tech. Pkg-PDC-Rear Manual Sun Shades-SAT-Variable Sport Steering-Wheel Locks- Rubber Mats-Euro Del 5/14/12-Redelivery 7/16/12 2006 X3 3.0iA 4/6 Silver Gray Metallic-Black Leather-Nav-PP-SP-Xenon Headlights-PDC-Heated Front Seats-Privacy Glass-Servotronic Steering-Premium Sound System-R R R- Wheel Locks- Rubber Mats
Old 01-29-2013, 02:26 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 ActiveHybrid 3
I just did this last weekend, and am copying the instructions below. The important thing to understand is that it is a TWO step process. You first program your car's button with the clicker up close, THEN you press the button on your opener (get a ladder), while quickly getting back into your car to press the mirror button within 30 seconds.

Quote:
Rolling Code Programming:

1. Press and hold the two outer HomeLink buttons until the indicator light begins to flash (after 20 seconds)or the display reads "Channels Cleared". Do not hold for longer than 30 seconds. Do not repeat this step to program additional HomeLink buttons.

2. Place the hand-held transmitter 1-3 inches from the HomeLink button you want to program.

3. Simultaneously, press and hold both your HomeLink button and your hand-held transmitter. Do not release either button until step 4 has been completed. (If you reside in Canada, refer to the "NOTE" below.)

4. When the indicator light changes from a slow blink to a rapid flash or the display reads"Channel Trained", release both HomeLink & hand held transmitter buttons.

5. Then go to your garage door opener motor head unit in the garage. Locate the "Program" or "Learn" button. Usually near the hanging antenna wire on your garage door opener motor head unit. (The name of these buttons vary by manufacturer, please see your garage door openers owners manual for the location of this programming button).

6. Press and release the "Program" or "Learn" button once, like a door bell (1 second)(Do not hold this button down. Holding this button down for too long will erase all Remotes, Keypad and other HomeLink equipped vehicles). There is 30 seconds in which to initiate step 7.

7. Then go to your vehicle and firmly press and hold your already programmed HomeLink button for three seconds and release. Do this procedure a second time and depending on the Brand of your garage door opener you may need to do this step a third time to complete the process.
Old 01-29-2013, 03:37 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 335 M sport
Thanks SamS

just saved that info as I gave up on my 2013 m sport after 5 times trying. What a waste of time but bad weather here tomorrow so maybe one more try. Take care. vrooMM VrooMMM
Old 01-29-2013, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
I just did this last weekend, and am copying the instructions below. The important thing to understand is that it is a TWO step process. You first program your car's button with the clicker up close, THEN you press the button on your opener (get a ladder), while quickly getting back into your car to press the mirror button within 30 seconds.
Oh great, so now we're talking about needing a ladder.
LOL!
Just kidding, but seriously, I'm sticking with the bulky button. I guess I'll find out about these sun visors soon enough.