Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 01-27-2008, 02:52 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 328i
2000 328i how to change turn signal bulbs??

Hello,

I am new here..I have a 2000 328i and both of my turn signal bulbs need to be replaced..But, I cannot make any sense of the instructions in the manual. Can anyone help me???

Thanks.
Advertisement
Old 01-27-2008, 03:04 PM
Ubergeek

Send a message via AIM to KrisL Send a message via Yahoo to KrisL
Mein Auto: 330i ZHP
Go to www.my330i.com, click on garage, and then find his clear corner installation on his pre-facelift sedan. You'll see pictoral instructions on removing the turn signals to get the bulb out.
Old 01-28-2008, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisL View Post
Go to www.my330i.com, click on garage, and then find his clear corner installation on his pre-facelift sedan. You'll see pictoral instructions on removing the turn signals to get the bulb out.
Thank you for your reply....BUT, my problem is I cannot figure out how to get to the turn signal bulb...The manual says to press down on the tab in the oval hole...I have tried that still can't get anything to happen. I have changed my headlights, low and high, tail lites, etc, but these darn turn signals are a puzzle.
Old 01-28-2008, 10:23 AM

How to get to the turn signal bulbs????

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdw View Post
Hello,

I am new here..I have a 2000 328i and both of my turn signal bulbs need to be replaced..But, I cannot make any sense of the instructions in the manual. Can anyone help me???

Thanks.
I worded my question wrong.. I cannot get to the turn signal bulbs to change them. The manual is about as clear as mud. I have tried to 'push down the tab, by using a screw driver through the oval hole in the fender'..but still can't figure it out.

RDW
Old 01-28-2008, 11:10 AM
Ubergeek

Quote:
I worded my question wrong.. I cannot get to the turn signal bulbs to change them. The manual is about as clear as mud. I have tried to 'push down the tab, by using a screw driver through the oval hole in the fender'..but still can't figure it out.

RDW

Step 1 is to pull the entire turn signal lens assembly out of the car.

Step 2 is to pull the bulb out of the turn signal lens assembly to change it.

For detailed instructions on step 1, follow the link I provided above. It involves pushing a screwdriver down to release a tab.
Old 01-28-2008, 11:20 AM

Thanks, Kris, I printed the pics and will try again this evening. Even though I am a woman I am pretty good at this kind of stuff...changed all of my other bulbs, but these turn signal bulbs have got me..changing them won't be a problem..getting to the darn things is. I appreicate your help.
Old 01-28-2008, 11:24 AM
Ubergeek

Quote:
Thanks, Kris, I printed the pics and will try again this evening. Even though I am a woman I am pretty good at this kind of stuff...changed all of my other bulbs, but these turn signal bulbs have got me..changing them won't be a problem..getting to the darn things is. I appreicate your help.
Well with the lens assemblies out of the car, you have all the room in your garage to get the bulbs out of the assemblies. If you have a suction cup of some sort (one that comes with a radar detector or gps maybe?), that will help - push down on the tab with a screwdriver then use a suction cup stuck onto the turn signal lens to pull it straight out of the front of the car.
Old 01-28-2008, 05:35 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
The key to figuring it out is persistence. It can be challenging to figure out the first time you do it. And getting it done can be challenging even after you finally figure it out. Sometimes actually finding the tab and getting it to give takes a fair dose of patience.

Just keep at it. Good luck.

If you can't get it, you'll just have to go buy a facelifted model 3er. They made it easier with the facelift.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

** Join the BMW CCA www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **

Last edited by tturedraider; 01-28-2008 at 05:39 PM.
Old 01-28-2008, 05:42 PM
Is it Trackday yet?

Mein Auto: 05 330ci 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
If you can't get it, you'll just have to go buy a facelifted model 3er. They made it easier with the facelift.

Unless it's a coupe. You need child sized hands to get at them!

"You drive like old people $#@%... slow and sloppy!" - George Carlin
Old 09-30-2012, 07:05 PM
Account closed at users request

Replacing Front Turn Signal Bulb

There are at least two versions for the late '99 production: one that requires pushing down on a tab and one that requires levering a screwdriver away from you to push the lens out, so do NOT push down on anything to release the lens until you're certain which version you have. The owners manual is basically useless, as it simply says "release the lever" but doesn't tell you how. I can only describe my version: Looking through the oval hole, the first thing you'll see is a black flat piece of plastic. Do NOT push down on this or the silver-colored prong sticking out from it. Look a bit deeper and you'll notice a white tab, no more than 3" deep, so you don't need a long screwdriver. You just need to get the screwdriver behind the tab and push it away from you, thus causing the end of the screwdriver to push the lens out. It doesn't take a lot of force, so if it's not budging, you're behind the wrong tab. After it pops out, simply turn the receptacle and then the bulb to replace it. To reinstall, line up the prongs into the slots and push in until it clicks. (With all due respect, if you're giving advice, first be sure that it's correct).

Last edited by Lysander; 10-02-2012 at 07:55 AM. Reason: New Information
Old 09-30-2012, 07:12 PM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: 2009 W906
^^^ You picked a five year old thread to bump with your first post? Hookay.

- J.C. Watts Jr.
Old 09-30-2012, 07:30 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMME30W View Post
I predict this guy is going to be real popular here.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

** Join the BMW CCA www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **
Old 10-01-2012, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMME30W View Post
And you picked a perfectly valid, informative post to ridicule?
Old 10-01-2012, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
I predict this guy is going to be real popular here.
I'll be neither popular nor unpopular as I actually have a life that doesn't require
10,000+ posts on a site filled with so much misinformation. I have much better
sources.