Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - current)

X1 E84 (2011 - current)
The new to the US BMW X1 will arrive at BMW dealers in the fall of 2012 as a 2013 model year. Get your X1 28i with either sDrive (RWD) or xDrive (AWD) or get the US exclusive I6 N55 powered X1 35i dDrive.

Old 09-30-2012, 08:15 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW X3 3.0i (manual)
Stopped by BMW SF yesterday...

I was in the South of Market neighborhood in San Francisco yesterday and stopped by the BMW dealer just for fun. For context, I have a 2006 BMW X3 (6-spd manual, m-sport, premium package, xenons, PDC) and checked out the X1.

They had two on the lot, a fairly basic white X1 28 sDrive and a fully optioned X1 35 xDrive. I only explored the 28 as the 35 was locked. Curiously, I was there for ~1/2 hour, and nobody from BMW SF came to talk with me.

Size: The X1 is the perfect size for my needs. I live in a city, and the X1 is small enough to parallel park. But it's also large enough to fit 4 adults comfortably or 3 adults plus their backpacking gear. I'm 6'2" and after adjusting the driver's seat was able to sit behind myself easily.

Ground clearance: I use my X3 for backpacking in the Cascades, Sierras, and various national parks. Three weeks ago, I drove 270 miles each way from SF to Sequoia National Park. It was 270 miles of highway driving followed by 25 miles of rutted dirt roads and switchbacks to the Mineral King trailhead on the south side of the park. This is typical for me. You don't need a Land Rover for these roads, but the ground clearance helps. 99% of the driving is just highway driving where the BMW excels. The X1 seems the best of both worlds.

Fit & Finish: The materials and perception of quality reminded me of an Audi A3 or VW GTI. It was good, but clearly not comparable to a 5 series. Coming from my 2006 X3, I thought it was an improvement.

Cost: The X1 35 xDrive M-Sport with all of the options was $50K. The 28 sDrive didn't have a window sticker on it. That's some serious money when a VW GTI is $30K fully loaded and Golf-R is $36K fully loaded. Comparing the X1 to the Golf-R, the real difference is ground clearance. The question then is whether that extra ground clearance is worth the $10K difference. Like I said, I spend 99% of the time on roads and <1% on dirt roads, so it's tough to justify that price gap.

Transmission: For $45K, I'm not willing to compromise on the transmission. If the X1 is offered in the US with a manual, it will likely be my next car. If it's automatic only, then that's too much money to be dissatisfied with the transmission. My X3 is six years old and only has 42K miles on it, so I can afford to wait another 4-6 years for BMW USA to bring a manual to the US.

-James
San Francisco, CA

2006 BMW X3 3.0i (m-sport, manual, premium, pdc, xenons)
2006 BMW 330Cic (sport, manual, premium, pdc, xenons) - sold
2006 Mini CooperS convertible (sport, manual, premium, pdc, xenons) - sold
1998 Audi A4 2.8 Quattro (tiptronic, bose, sport pkg) - sold
Ads by Google
Old 10-01-2012, 10:23 AM
Cruising 280 Top Down

Send a message via Skype™ to petriej
Mein Auto: '99 M3 Cab & '05 X5 4.8is
Nice review. I've been thinking about checking them out personally as well.

As far as I know, the only Manual option is the sDrive (RWD) 28i. Might be a deal-breaker. You lucked out with a manual X3.

GGC BMW CCA #443004
Join the BMW CCA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornhospital View Post
Jared, why don't you just put "It's Giubo" in your sig? Save a lot of typing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by e36 miguel View Post
this jared guy sounds intimidating lol.
2005 X5 4.8is Le Mans/Black/6spd Steptragic
1999 M3 Cabrio TiAg Metallic/Dove Grey/Black 5 Speed Manual
-------------------------------------------------------------------
1997 328iC Schwarz II/K/K 5MT SOLD 5/2012
2004 645Ci Mineral Silver Metallic/Black 6MT RIP 04/2011
Old 10-01-2012, 11:02 AM

Mein Auto: pending...
no manual available at all with the X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by petriej View Post
Nice review. I've been thinking about checking them out personally as well.

As far as I know, the only Manual option is the sDrive (RWD) 28i. Might be a deal-breaker. You lucked out with a manual X3.
Old 10-01-2012, 11:14 AM
Cruising 280 Top Down

Send a message via Skype™ to petriej
Mein Auto: '99 M3 Cab & '05 X5 4.8is
I could have sworn I read the only manual X1 would be sDrive28i. Can't configure it on BMWUSA that way, so I thought maybe it's a special order kind of thing. Now I can't find the source I read to back my claim.

Oh well, the 8-speed ZF is pretty awesome, anyway...

GGC BMW CCA #443004
Join the BMW CCA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornhospital View Post
Jared, why don't you just put "It's Giubo" in your sig? Save a lot of typing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by e36 miguel View Post
this jared guy sounds intimidating lol.
2005 X5 4.8is Le Mans/Black/6spd Steptragic
1999 M3 Cabrio TiAg Metallic/Dove Grey/Black 5 Speed Manual
-------------------------------------------------------------------
1997 328iC Schwarz II/K/K 5MT SOLD 5/2012
2004 645Ci Mineral Silver Metallic/Black 6MT RIP 04/2011
Old 10-01-2012, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stary View Post
no manual available at all with the X1
I'm hoping that in the later model years, they may bring a special-addition manual-transmission version of the X1. Kind of like what VW did with the limited-edition Golf-R, bringing all-wheel drive to the GTI range.

-James
San Francisco, CA
Old 10-01-2012, 06:21 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 X1 xDrive28i
Test drive the 8 speed and base X1 is 30k. 4 yrs free maint. and after you are ready the sell, the residual should be higher than the other cars you mentioned.
Old 10-01-2012, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fb88 View Post
Test drive the 8 speed and base X1 is 30k. 4 yrs free maint. and after you are ready the sell, the residual should be higher than the other cars you mentioned.
This isn't about price. I'm happy to pay full MSRP (~$45K) to get what I want. The issue is at that price, I'm not willing to compromise on such a fundamental feature like the transmission.