Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 09-30-2012, 12:28 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2010 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by astirling View Post
Sorry. That does seem to be the case but it seems intermittent. From what I can gather, email does work on occasions with the following conditions.

1) Email must be set to preview in lock screen
2) Some have said that emails must be set to show in notification centre.
3) Some have reported that the phone must go into lock of its own accord. i.e. pressing the lock button does not work
4) An email must be received in the car whilst the phone is locked. It does not transfer old emails (read or unread) and it will not transfer emails received when the phone is unlocked.
5) Even with all these conditions met, it has been reported that it only works the first time it is set up. It stops working after you have been away from the car.

Personally, I haven't tried it, but I'll be glad if people can get it to work. I like being able to see SMS messages and I'm sure I would also find emails useful.
SMS + e-mail integration seems to be the one area where RIM/BB appear to have an advantage over iOS and Android (and possibly WP). Being able to read the e-mail on the much larger iDrive display is superior to reading the same e-mail on the dinky BB display.

My curiosity has been tweaked. I am going to check into whether e-mail integration is supported on the Droid RAZR running ICS (Motorola advertises MAP support on the RAZR). So far, on VZW, it is 0 for 2 on e-mail integration with iDrive (the Bold 9930 that I have seen work is a Sprint edition).
Old 10-01-2012, 12:34 PM

More data (although not exactly encouraging): http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3647

Doesn't look like Apple is going to be supporting MAP. At least not in iOS v. 6.0
Old 10-01-2012, 01:26 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 335i Cabrio
Do note the date of that Apple knowledgebase article...
Quote:
Last Modified: May 15, 2012
That long predates iOS6, so I wouldn't let it be discouraging. I pretty much would just count it as an out of date KB article.
Old 10-01-2012, 02:47 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 XDrive 30i
More on the iPhone 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpburdell View Post

That long predates iOS6, so I wouldn't let it be discouraging. I pretty much would just count it as an out of date KB article.
We just picked up our '13 328iCV......the iPhone 9 Pin worked OK with powering/charging the phone, but we will have to wait until the 9 pin to 30 pin digital to analog cable becomes available....I have 2 cables ordered (one for each Bimmer) and will report first hand the compatibility. However in conversations with Apple Tech support they said only the Video playback would NOT be supported, but all other functions/features would be.

PhastPhil
2013 328i CV, Crimson Red/Black/Nav/H-K/Convenience/Premium
2009 X5 Silver/Gray
2004 X5 - Gone, but not forgotten
1987 325e (e for extremely slow)gone and trying to forget
2 Wheel BMW 2002 R1150RA, Black - ABS, FI, 3.8 sec 0-60, all other colors at least .1 sec slower.
Old 10-01-2012, 03:28 PM

Mein Auto: 335is
I have an iPhone 4, everything works perfectly, emails, calendar, iPod, etc. I also have an iPhone 4 dock, not connect it with wires! I will get an iPhone 5 went he dock for it becomes available, mid next year from what BMW says. Why would you use wires when a docking station is available with your idrive?
Old 10-01-2012, 03:32 PM

Mein Auto: 320D Sport Plus Coupe
I'm guessing you have the BMW apps option? Not every car does this and people were hoping that calendar and email functionality would work via bluetooth instead as it does with Blackberrys. Personally I'm not keen on using the docking station because I probably wouldn't bother to plug and unplug my phone every time I got in the car. I have an ipod touch permanently connected for music and I just keep my phone in my pocket. Lazy I know....
Old 10-01-2012, 03:53 PM
Test... 1, 2 ,3

Mein Auto: 2012 M3 - 2014 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by vst335is View Post
I have an iPhone 4, everything works perfectly, emails, calendar, iPod, etc. I also have an iPhone 4 dock, not connect it with wires! I will get an iPhone 5 went he dock for it becomes available, mid next year from what BMW says. Why would you use wires when a docking station is available with your idrive?
Stop the misinformation, please: emails do not fully display yet in iOS6 and the iDrive
Old 10-01-2012, 03:56 PM
Test... 1, 2 ,3

Quote:
Originally Posted by anE934fun View Post
More data (although not exactly encouraging): http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3647

Doesn't look like Apple is going to be supporting MAP. At least not in iOS v. 6.0
Is this the misinformation thread? iOS 6.0 supports MAP.
Old 10-01-2012, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
Stop the misinformation, please: emails do not fully display yet in iOS6 and the iDrive
I don't know about iOS 6 but it works with whatever iPhone 4 comes with. And the iPhone 4 docking station, not connecting with the cable.
Old 10-01-2012, 07:04 PM
Test... 1, 2 ,3

Quote:
I don't know about iOS 6 but it works with whatever iPhone 4 comes with. And the iPhone 4 docking station, not connecting with the cable.
Again, the first and only iOS that supports MAP Bluetooth profile -so texts and email can be transferred via Bluetooth to other devices- is iOS6. There was no MAP support in iOS5 and before.

And again, in the release version of iOS6 texts transfer and display are fully functional with the iDrive. The email transfer is not fully functional.

So there is no way that your iPhone 4 with iOS6 release version is working perfectly with emails. Perhaps you meant texts?
Old 10-01-2012, 08:26 PM

Thanks, I will look at it again. I don't use those features as much, that is text and email while in the car. All others though have no issues
Old 10-01-2012, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
Is this the misinformation thread? iOS 6.0 supports MAP.
Ummm. Perhaps it is you who is mis-informing? In your post #35, you state:
Quote:
Again, the first and only iOS that supports MAP Bluetooth profile -so texts and email can be transferred via Bluetooth to other devices- is iOS6. There was no MAP support in iOS5 and before.

And again, in the release version of iOS6 texts transfer and display are fully functional with the iDrive. The email transfer is not fully functional.
So, what is it? A or B? Full support of MAP involves the display of e-mail text in addition to the display of SMS messages. As you and others have posted, at present, iOS v. 6.0 provides partial support for MAP. The unknown is whether Apple is going to modify iOS to enable full support of MAP.

I have been posting my experience with testing out different smartphones and their support (or non-support) for MAP. If you have a problem with my results, perhaps you could identify which test result is problematic?
Old 10-01-2012, 09:22 PM

Quote:
I'm guessing you have the BMW apps option? Not every car does this and people were hoping that calendar and email functionality would work via bluetooth instead as it does with Blackberrys. Personally I'm not keen on using the docking station because I probably wouldn't bother to plug and unplug my phone every time I got in the car. I have an ipod touch permanently connected for music and I just keep my phone in my pocket. Lazy I know....
At present, I have been able to test and demonstrate that the limited support for MAP in iOS v. 6.0 on an iP5 occurs when the iP5 is communicating with the car via Bluetooth. Same for Android v. 4.0.4 on a GS III. The iP5 and GS III are VZW editions. There may be differences in Bluetooth stack in the GS IIIs, since VZW was guilty of implementing a slimmed down Bluetooth stack back when the Palm Treo smartphones were the rage. I was hoping to get access to a Sprint edition GS III to see if there was full support for MAP (e-mail + text display), but so far, no joy.
Old 10-01-2012, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Who at BMW is making this statement? Is the statement in writing? Are they saying the dock will be available for the E9X cars? Or, for the F3X cars? I would be suspicious of any claimed release for the E9X cars, as they are now yesterday's news.
Old 10-01-2012, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpburdell View Post

Thank you for your observation. When I saw the table with no support for MAP, I was a bit bummed. Actually, bummed enough to neglect to check the date of the post.
Old 10-01-2012, 09:43 PM
Test... 1, 2 ,3

Quote:
Ummm. Perhaps it is you who is mis-informing? In your post #35, you state:

So, what is it? A or B? Full support of MAP involves the display of e-mail text in addition to the display of SMS messages. As you and others have posted, at present, iOS v. 6.0 provides partial support for MAP. The unknown is whether Apple is going to modify iOS to enable full support of MAP.
It is both.

You stated that "Doesn't look like Apple is going to be supporting MAP" although it does. Whether it is full or no support that's the clarification I made above.

Quote:
I have been posting my experience with testing out different smartphones and their support (or non-support) for MAP. If you have a problem with my results, perhaps you could identify which test result is problematic?
If you take some time to search you will find out that iOS6 full support of MAP was present in one of its beta versions. Both the emails and texts were transfered and displayed.

The release version broke it...

This is not a pissing contest. There are about 5 different threads running in this forum about this issue, with enough clear and definitive information (at least to me) showing exactly what's going on. Now, if you are bringing new and detailed information, great. However, starting with "Apple not supporting MAP" is not so great a start.
Old 10-02-2012, 10:29 PM

Mein Auto: 335d
I know that this is slightly off-topic to the thread title, but it's relevant to the discussion going on in here.

It seems that some non-iDrive systems work with the included USB/Lightning cable. Those are the ones that were manufactured later. Earlier editions, like mine, need the BMW Y-cable even for the earlier iPhones. Without the Y-cable, there's no hope of getting steering wheel controls, etc., back. The jury's still out on whether the Apple adapter solutions will work.

If they don't, is it possible to retrofit the newer non Y-cable-needing systems (is this the "combox"?) to older cars like mine? I have no desire to retrofit an entire new iDrive system, just the connection in the center console. Anyone know?
Old 10-02-2012, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Thanks, I will look at it again. I don't use those features as much, that is text and email while in the car. All others though have no issues
Yeah but you're connected using a docking station and with an option on your car called bmw apps. It has always worked in these circumstances. People are discussing email and SMS via Bluetooth (i.e. when the phone is not plugged in) although it could be argued that this is slightly off topic when compared with the original posts in the thread.

Last edited by astirling; 10-02-2012 at 11:21 PM.
Old 10-02-2012, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile View Post
I know that this is slightly off-topic to the thread title, but it's relevant to the discussion going on in here.

It seems that some non-iDrive systems work with the included USB/Lightning cable. Those are the ones that were manufactured later. Earlier editions, like mine, need the BMW Y-cable even for the earlier iPhones. Without the Y-cable, there's no hope of getting steering wheel controls, etc., back. The jury's still out on whether the Apple adapter solutions will work.

If they don't, is it possible to retrofit the newer non Y-cable-needing systems (is this the "combox"?) to older cars like mine? I have no desire to retrofit an entire new iDrive system, just the connection in the center console. Anyone know?
I think quite a lot of people have done combox retrofits.
Old 10-03-2012, 02:58 AM
Test... 1, 2 ,3

Quote:
Originally Posted by torifile View Post

Please contact forum vendor BimmerTech for details on costs and how to install a Combox in your car. This cannot be done by an US dealer.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Yeah but you're connected using a docking station and with an option on your car called bmw apps. It has always worked in these circumstances. People are discussing email and SMS via Bluetooth (i.e. when the phone is not plugged in) although it could be argued that this is slightly off topic when compared with the original posts in the thread.
Thank you, that's what I said too a few times. Connect your iPhone thru docking station and everything will work! Spend the $250 and do not buy cables, Y cables, etc!
Old 10-03-2012, 10:53 AM

Not a lot of good for people who have already bought their car though is it? For the purposes of clarity, the snap in adapter isn't going to get it working (even if there was actually one available for the iPhone 5). BMW apps also needs to be enabled. If your car doesn't have it, a retrofit at the dealer is required.

Last edited by astirling; 10-03-2012 at 10:56 AM.
Old 10-03-2012, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Are you saying that with the docking insert (plus the combox hardware, I presume) and the BMW Apps software, you can display SMS texts and e-mail messages that have been received by the iPhone 4/4S? If so, that would seem to be a rather compelling value proposition for the docking insert, given the lack of full MAP support in iOS v. 6.0.
Old 10-03-2012, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Are you saying that with the docking insert (plus the combox hardware, I presume) and the BMW Apps software, you can display SMS texts and e-mail messages that have been received by the iPhone 4/4S? If so, that would seem to be a rather compelling value proposition for the docking insert, given the lack of full MAP support in iOS v. 6.0.
Actually, I've did a bit of reading and I'm not sure that is actually the case. It would seem that apps gives access to calendar, Facebook and twitter. I can't see anything about text messages or emails. Apologies for the misinformation.

Last edited by astirling; 10-03-2012 at 03:28 PM.
Old 10-03-2012, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Actually, I've did a bit if reading and I'm not sure that is actually the case. It would seem that apps gives access to calendar, Facebook and twitter. I can't see anything about text messages or emails. Apologies for the misinformation.
Maybe it does or doesn't but the dock is far better than cables!!! Plus, it has a vent that cools the iPhone while charging! Cables are for cheap cars that don't have this technology