Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)

E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)
E85 Z4 Roadster, E86 Z4 Coupe, E85 Z4 M Roadster, and E86 Z4 M Coupe talk with our BMW gurus here.

Old 10-01-2012, 08:55 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Z4M Coupe, 540i,Silverado
I//m in need of some knowledge

Thinking about buying a Z4M, the question I have is ///M cars typically go to Munich for 'fitment' of the ///M components. Since the Z4 is made in the US was the M, just bolt on or were some made in Germany? Or???

Thanks I am sure someone here has this info...
Ads by Google
Old 10-02-2012, 03:29 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 Z4 si
Gixxer Rider ...
Too many differences to comment on here.
Different engines etc ..
Certainly most is not bolt on - Unless you have alot of money.
Z4 no longer made in the USA.
I'd recommend you do a search on Google, maybe Wikipedia.
Lots to learn
Cheers and welcome
Old 10-02-2012, 04:41 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 M Coupe 2006 M Roads
The Z4M was made in Spartanburg, SC and shipped complete for worldwide delivery. The interesting part is that powertrains came from Germany to SC for fitment in the cars. Although X cars are now built in SC they use the same model.
Old 10-02-2012, 10:37 PM

Wow...

Kind of neat, and interesting. Here I thought the Z4M may have been German produced. I did a wiki search and found a lot of cool info...but the fact it was made in SC is very neat...the engine was shipped in no problem, now about that M suspension...I'd presume it would be a 'bolt on' much the same way that the M suspension on the 3 series is a bolt on...provided you have $ and time to do it...In spite of its US production I think I will get one...now guys tell my wife to hurry up already with school....LOL
Old 10-03-2012, 02:04 PM
(formerly SD 335is)

Mein Auto: '06 Z4 MR | '11 335is E92
Unfortunately, all Z4 M Roadsters and Coupes were produced in Spartanburg, SC and none was produced in Germany, which meant that very, very few lucky individuals got to experience European Delivery of their Z4 M and drive it on the Autobahn and the Nurburgring Nordschleife.

The few exceptions may have been military personnel stationed in Europe who bought one through the military purchase program.

GSXRYDER, modern manufacturing techniques allow auto manufacturers to build any possible model/option for any car right on the same assembly line. When we visited the BMW Munich and Dingolfing factories during our ED in May 2011, we saw every possible 3 Series sedan (Munich) and 5 series (Dingolfing) being produced for any possible country, left hand drive, right hand drive, US spec, UK spec, Chinese spec, etc. The parts for each car arrived at the appropriate point and time in the assembly process to be fitted and the workers just assembled the vehicle.

At the Porsche factory, 911 Coupes and Cabriolets, Caymans, and Boxsters are all assembled on the same line, at the same time. We even saw a 911 Speedster that was in among all the rest of the cars.

The Z4 Ms were likely produced the same way, mixed in with "regular" Z4s. The S54 engine for the Z4 M was fitted to the Z4 chassis, the M3 CSL brakes were fitted, all the appropriate M parts and fitments arrived on the assembly line as needed. If you ever get a chance to tour a modern auto factory you will be amazed.
Hers: 2011 335is Coupe (E92) | Le Mans Blue Metallic | Black Dakota Leather | Dark Glacier Aluminum | 6MT | ED 5/12/11

BMWCCA #444696 - Click to join and a chance to win a 1-Day M School at the BMW Performance Center!

Old 03-19-2013, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD Z4MR View Post
Unfortunately, all Z4 M Roadsters and Coupes were produced in Spartanburg, SC and none was produced in Germany, which meant that very, very few lucky individuals got to experience European Delivery of their Z4 M and drive it on the Autobahn and the Nurburgring Nordschleife.

The Z4 Ms were likely produced the same way, mixed in with "regular" Z4s. The S54 engine for the Z4 M was fitted to the Z4 chassis, the M3 CSL brakes were fitted, all the appropriate M parts and fitments arrived on the assembly line as needed. If you ever get a chance to tour a modern auto factory you will be amazed.
Thanks for all the replies...I recently bout a Z4m coupe...

For the record I work in the auto industry as a systems analyst :-)