Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 09-26-2012, 10:57 AM

Mein Auto: BMW e90 2006
Exclamation Weird Problems with my e90

Good day everyone,

So I had my bimmer brought to 2 local shops and had it scanned for errors/codes, but both of them can't seem to read my ECU or could not find any errors saved. But on my dash I have the "Electric steering wheel lock" (Yellow error). Usually I've read that this will sometimes result to car not to start, but in my case I had it for almost a year but never really caused any problems. Also a low beam light error aswell, due to an aftermarket HID kit I installed. Anyhow, I asked the mechanic to clean my MAF sensor and Throttle Body while the're at it, and just out of curiosity I asked them to start the engine to see if the engine light would come up, weirdly it didn't, with all the sensors disconnected.

Is there something wrong with my car, or cars ECU? Your feedbacks would be much appreciated!

Additional Info:
Had a Sound system setup (2 years ago)
Had my Headlight changed to Eagle Eyes Headlight (low beam on HID)
Advertisement
Old 09-26-2012, 01:08 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 Alpine 335i
did you have any errors immediately after the sound system or headlight upgrades?

You might not get an error with the sensors disconnected because there's nothing in place to send the errors to the ecu.

Whats the shop say about the "Electric Steering Wheel Lock Error?" Makes me wonder if the car has ever been in an accident?
Old 09-26-2012, 01:20 PM

Thanks for the Reply! E90Dad
Regarding the sound system, no it never had an error after the install. And from the Eagle eye headlight replacement, yes the Low beam error appear because I did not install the HID canceler kit.
About the Electronic Steering Wheel lock error, they say they cannot erase it because the OBD cannot detect any faults or saved codes/errors. This is so unusual Makes me scratch my head!
The car has never been into an accident. Having the OBD not reading the unit makes it hard to distinguish or fix problems. What could be the cause of this?
Old 09-26-2012, 01:26 PM

Thanks for the Reply! E90Dad
Regarding the sound system, no it never had an error after the install. And from the Eagle eye headlight replacement, yes the Low beam error appear because I did not install the HID canceler kit.
About the Electronic Steering Wheel lock error, they say they cannot erase it because the OBD cannot detect any faults or saved codes/errors. This is so unusual Makes me scratch my head!
The car has never been into an accident. Having the OBD not reading the unit makes it hard to distinguish or fix problems. What could be the cause of this?
Old 09-26-2012, 07:41 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 X1 xDrive28i
Did they clean the MAF with the CRC MAF cleaner?
What year and mileage is your car?

I had the steering wheel lock warnings at 34k on 2006 330xi, dealer replaced steering column after software update failed to fix the issue. The 2nd time it happened was around 100k miles, first yellow warning lights then one day it turned red and I could not start the car (it had another message that steering wheel is locked). I had to flat bed it to BMW dealership to replace the steering column again, for $1,000! It was past the 2 year (first steering column replacement warranty).
Have AAA+ membership ready...
Old 09-26-2012, 08:04 PM
Non compos Mentos

Mein Auto: 335i E92 TiAg 6MT ED
Quote:
Originally Posted by cec.05 View Post
Good day everyone,

So I had my bimmer brought to 2 local shops and had it scanned for errors/codes, but both of them can't seem to read my ECU or could not find any errors saved. But on my dash I have the "Electric steering wheel lock" (Yellow error). Usually I've read that this will sometimes result to car not to start, but in my case I had it for almost a year but never really caused any problems. Also a low beam light error aswell, due to an aftermarket HID kit I installed. Anyhow, I asked the mechanic to clean my MAF sensor and Throttle Body while the're at it, and just out of curiosity I asked them to start the engine to see if the engine light would come up, weirdly it didn't, with all the sensors disconnected.

Is there something wrong with my car, or cars ECU? Your feedbacks would be much appreciated!

Additional Info:
Had a Sound system setup (2 years ago)
Had my Headlight changed to Eagle Eyes Headlight (low beam on HID)
Before your engine even started, as you were turning the key, the ECU knew that those two sensors were unplugged. It should have instantly illuminated the CEL.
Old 09-26-2012, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fb88 View Post
Did they clean the MAF with the CRC MAF cleaner?
What year and mileage is your car?

I had the steering wheel lock warnings at 34k on 2006 330xi, dealer replaced steering column after software update failed to fix the issue. The 2nd time it happened was around 100k miles, first yellow warning lights then one day it turned red and I could not start the car (it had another message that steering wheel is locked). I had to flat bed it to BMW dealership to replace the steering column again, for $1,000! It was past the 2 year (first steering column replacement warranty).
Have AAA+ membership ready...
The car has a low mileage, barely holds 20k miles in it, MY2006. I only use the car for Car Shows and Audio Competitions. Little Bit worried about the steering wheel columns, for it is costly! Brought it to the dealer yesterday and asked if they could update the software, the representative informed me today that the update doesn't go through.

This never happened to my X3 MY2007, 60k miles in it, which has the same sound system setup. hmmmmmm??
Old 09-26-2012, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSXMachina View Post
Before your engine even started, as you were turning the key, the ECU knew that those two sensors were unplugged. It should have instantly illuminated the CEL.

Hi DSXMachina
That was exactly what I was expecting to come about, which had me have this doubts that my ECU is damaged. But to quote E90Dad's comment, "You might not get an error with the sensors disconnected because there's nothing in place to send the errors to the ecu" have ne confused now lmao. Pardon my ignorance on this matters guys. Thanks for responding!
Old 09-26-2012, 11:50 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Good day everyone,

Is there something wrong with my car, or cars ECU?

GOOD GOD MAN!

The answer is YES!

You might take it to someone who can read proprietary BMW codes....ain't that hard....GT1 for the well heeled; Bavarian Technic for the ready mechanic.

Don't be surprised to find your ride possessed by a spirit Manananggal. Yow!
Old 09-27-2012, 03:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post
GOOD GOD MAN!

The answer is YES!

You might take it to someone who can read proprietary BMW codes....ain't that hard....GT1 for the well heeled; Bavarian Technic for the ready mechanic.

Don't be surprised to find your ride possessed by a spirit Manananggal. Yow!
I know Thanks man.. will try to get it scanned again!!
Old 09-28-2012, 03:31 AM

So I brought it to a shop that has the bavarian tech scanner, Still no luck in Finding the Electronic steering wheel lock error. What do you guys suggest I should do?
Old 09-28-2012, 04:38 AM

Quote:
So I brought it to a shop that has the bavarian tech scanner, Still no luck in Finding the Electronic steering wheel lock error. What do you guys suggest I should do?

What codes were found?
Old 09-28-2012, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post
What codes were found?
No Codes were found CALWATERBOY, they manage to connect to the ECU but when they scan it, there are no codes saved. Hmmm... very worried about this right now. What other solutions do you have in mind boss?
Old 09-28-2012, 10:26 AM

Quote:
No Codes were found CALWATERBOY, they manage to connect to the ECU but when they scan it, there are no codes saved. Hmmm... very worried about this right now. What other solutions do you have in mind boss?

So, they connected through the OBDII port just below the driver's side dashboard with a laptop?
Old 09-28-2012, 11:07 AM
Flying monkey herder

Mein Auto: Daihatsu Terrios
reinstall the oem head unit and have them try again. removing it causes issues with diagnostics communicating with the car as well as being able to update the car. the head unit is part of the communications bus

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Bimmer App
Past: 2010 335xi ZMP/ZCW/ZPP/PPK/PE
Present: 2013 335i 6MT ZMM/ZDH/ZTP/3AG/494/508
Current Homeland Threat Level:
Old 09-28-2012, 12:30 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orient330iNYC View Post
reinstall the oem head unit and have them try again. removing it causes issues with diagnostics communicating with the car as well as being able to update the car. the head unit is part of the communications bus

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Bimmer App
Hopefully OP still has the oem head unit. Out of curiosity, does BMW code the DME to the head unit installed at the factory?
Old 09-30-2012, 10:53 PM

I will try to look for an Original Head Unit ) Hopefully this solves the problem! A friend suggested this aswell! thanks guys.. will update again soon.
@CALWATERBOY - Yes they connected through a Laptop.
Old 10-01-2012, 05:12 AM
Flying monkey herder

Mein Auto: Daihatsu Terrios
Quote:
Originally Posted by anE934fun View Post
Hopefully OP still has the oem head unit. Out of curiosity, does BMW code the DME to the head unit installed at the factory?
no, its not coded to the dme.
Past: 2010 335xi ZMP/ZCW/ZPP/PPK/PE
Present: 2013 335i 6MT ZMM/ZDH/ZTP/3AG/494/508
Current Homeland Threat Level:
Old 10-01-2012, 09:34 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orient330iNYC View Post
no, its not coded to the dme.
Well, that is a bit of good news for OP.
Old 10-02-2012, 12:22 AM

So we use my friends OEM head unit and installed it to my car to test if OBD can update software, and the answer is.......
NO! lol Still spending 5 hours of my daily time in finding solution ) Anymore suggestions guys? may help alot. thanks! or sell the car? haha