Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 09-30-2012, 06:35 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2006ZCP M3and 1999 M3vert
Front Struts Rear Shocks Mounts All Replaced

All

Friday and part of Saturday was spent changing struts and shocks, including mounts, on my 1995 e36 Montreal Blau vert. I replaced the original equipment with Bilstein Touring. While this is not a very difficult DIY, it does get a little tricky dealing with compressing the springs and making sure the new struts are built perfectly. Also wresting the struts back in was a bit of a pain in the ass.

Anyway, when removed both shocks in the rear they were both completely blown at 95,000 miles. I know, I know they should have been replaced at 50,000 but I only bought her at 87,000 miles. The prior owner was a complete animal when it came to maintenance but luckily he kept it garaged and did not abuse her. Rear shocks and new mounts went in easy and quick.

Again when I pulled the front struts they were completely blown with zero rebound. One had shock oil all over it. As I said the only tricky part is spring compression. Don't even try to compress the springs and remove the rusty bolts without a good air impact wrench. Made this job easy. strut replacement took me about two hours each side as I went nice and slow asit was my first time doing this job.

Much better ride with the new shocks.
Advertisement
Old 09-30-2012, 08:13 AM
Warm Leatherette

Mein Auto: 1998 BMW 328is
Excellent! Glad you got everything in. I bet you're looking for excuses to go for a drive, now.

1998 BMW 328is
1966 Pontiac GTO
2007 Subaru Impreza 2.5i 5-door
View my photos: Caught in the Wild
For sale: E30/E36 front sway links
For sale: OEM E36 328 catback
Old 09-30-2012, 02:40 PM

Indeed, I just drove out to Greenport, almost the end of Long Island. It was about a 100 mile round trip with some spirited driving to put the new suspension through it's paces. Feels a bit tighter and much stiffer over bumps and dips in the road. Very happy with the results. Next up is the control arms, CABS and RTABS.

By the way, I visited the Greenport Brewery Tasting room and sampled some incredible beer. The Gobsmacked IPA and Leaf Pile Ale were off the hook.
Old 10-02-2012, 06:10 AM

So, I'm out driving around yesterday and I'm hearing a pop sound from the left strut. Im thinking that i messed something up either when I assembled the strut or when I installed. It only happened twice but it really bothered me. I really wasn't feeling taking the strut off, compressing the springs and disassembling the damn thing again.

By the way, I consider myself a half decent home mechanic and am willing to tackle any job. I take my time and am very fastidious. Well, I'm not so sure how good I am. I was racking my brain as to why it would pop. Spring not seated correctly? Blown strut already? Broken spring? Top bolt not tight enough? Worn end links? Worn out control arm? Worn out CABs? Steering rack issues?

So then I remember that sometimes if the lugs are loose you will hear a pop every once in a while. Well guess what, me, Mr Mechanic, forgot to tighten the front wheel lugs completely after I lowered the car. What an idiot.
Old 10-02-2012, 07:17 AM
D'oh, You kids!

Mein Auto: 1995 318is / 1993 325is
Been there. Glad you found it before serious damage was done.

Sent from my MB860 using Bimmer App

Ken Kanne, Silverhill, AL, E36 Forum Mod/Craigslist addict/Hoarder of all sorts of stuff
BMW-CCA #441426
1995 318is "Bebe"; 1993 325is "Elvira" 1985 635CSi "Katja" 1984 633CSi "Sylvia"
HAVE I HAD MY MEDS YET?

Old 10-02-2012, 03:54 PM

Mein Auto: 1998 328is
Same happened to me, unfortunately it cost me a new hub assembly. Good thing you caught it in time.
Old 10-02-2012, 04:23 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Send a message via ICQ to dc_wright
Mein Auto: '96 328iC, '04 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Echo46 View Post
Well guess what, me, Mr Mechanic, forgot to tighten the front wheel lugs completely after I lowered the car. What an idiot.
If you'd ignored the noise until the wheel came off and damaged your bodywork, then you'd be an idiot. So far you've only achieved a score of forgetful.................
Old 10-02-2012, 04:53 PM

I guess I was so excited to get the wheels on the ground and out on the road I just forgot. It is funny the sounds these cars make and the clues they provide to determine and fix problems.