Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 09-07-2012, 03:20 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '03 325iT, 03 330xi
Maybe I'm crazy
Old 09-07-2012, 07:03 AM
Swedish Murder Machine

Mein Auto: 328i x-drive
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW.Nick View Post
Am I the only one that doesn't like the appearance of the new m sport? I feel like the front end is incomplete, I can't put my finger on it. The whole kit misses for me
I am not in love with the m-sport cosmetics either. I would rather put the money into performance/tech stuff, which is what I did.
Old 09-07-2012, 07:38 AM
Not Wearing Pants

Mein Auto: Moped
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW.Nick View Post
Am I the only one that doesn't like the appearance of the new m sport? I feel like the front end is incomplete, I can't put my finger on it. The whole kit misses for me
Just can't fathom the point of purely cosmetic packages. Like adding a spoiler to a trunk, if it's all show, no go then can't see a reason why it exists.
Old 09-07-2012, 07:41 AM
Not Wearing Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigma View Post
That kinda confirms that the AT was at fault for my laggy gas pedal experience in my test drives. The N20 should be a very good match for the 6MT, but unfortunately, not too many dealers actually stock it these days.
Good luck finding one on a lot in San Diego. The first time I drove a 6MT F30 was the night I picked up my special order car in LA. The San Diego dealers act like traffic is so bad that no sane person would want a manual.

If you'd like to drive mine, let me know.
Old 09-07-2012, 09:31 AM

Mein Auto: '98 M E36/7:'13 F30 RWD
Quote:
Originally Posted by av98 View Post
How improved are the suspension and brakes with he m-sport package?
My understanding is M-Sports in the US get the Euro pads. They have more bite, but also a lot more dusting.

E36/7: Dinan/RMS stage 2+ blower@13lbs of BOOST! 18" BBS LM's, too much more to list
F30: ForgeStar F14 19's summer-OZ Superleggera 17's winter/Rogue Catback/Integral Audio/AFE intake scoop/BMS stage 1
Old 09-07-2012, 06:39 PM

Mein Auto: Honda Accord :(
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_clueless View Post
Don't you also get a short throw shifter if manual?
Yes you do.

Screw Audi. I decided to send in a request to their online SA and the only response I've received was the automated one saying that someone would contact me soon. I don't even want to think of the service I'd get once I actually owned the car.

Some of your responses have me second guessing my experience with the 328 6MT. Maybe my 335 bias had me unfairly downplaying the engine. . Anyway, I'll probably still go with a 335. I just feel like I need to take that 6mt for another spin or something to confirm what I thought I felt.

I'm headed back there soon to drive a fully loaded 335 M Sport 8AT that was still being prepared for the showroom. Maybe I'll drive that 6MT after that.
Old 09-07-2012, 09:17 PM

Mein Auto: Bicycle
Yeah the 535i is just a bit better but it's nowhere close to my S2000 which is now my dedicated track car. Given that I found the 535i interior better than the Audi A6 (the Nav screen pops out of the top of the dash like a modified car at a car show) and the 535i was slightly more responsive I couldn't see myself driving the A6.

The S4 with the dual clutch is pretty amazing though. After trying it out I would get it over the manual transmission. Downshifting is awesome in that thing.
Old 09-08-2012, 04:00 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 335i and 2014 X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by brkf View Post
Just can't fathom the point of purely cosmetic packages. Like adding a spoiler to a trunk, if it's all show, no go then can't see a reason why it exists.
I am with you on this man. For the life of me I don't get people spending that much extra money for just show and then settling for a 328i when you can get a 335i.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentZero View Post
Some of your responses have me second guessing my experience with the 328 6MT. Maybe my 335 bias had me unfairly downplaying the engine. . Anyway, I'll probably still go with a 335. I just feel like I need to take that 6mt for another spin or something to confirm what I thought I felt.

I'm headed back there soon to drive a fully loaded 335 M Sport 8AT that was still being prepared for the showroom. Maybe I'll drive that 6MT after that.
After my test drives with both the 335i and 328i with the 6MT I felt that the 335i is better suited to the 6MT because of the torque curve. I mean that engine not only has 300lbs of it but you have most of it starting at 1,200 rpms which is what you usually have with a V8. That makes it a great engine to mate a manual transmission with. The N20 is very good for a 4 cylinder but nothing like the N55. Try to drive a 335i 6MT with the adaptive suspension. I bet you anything you will buy/order one on the spot. I know the minute I did, I said this is the car for me.

2013 335i Sportline | M-adaptive | HK | NAV | PDC | Heated Front seats |6-speed MT.

2011 X5 35d Great SUV gone

2009 C350 Mercedes Gone 7-31-2012, good car but boooooooooring.

2008 X5 4.8i - Turned in 1/24/11 They created the Lemon law because of this SUV.

Last edited by windsor027; 09-08-2012 at 04:07 AM.
Old 09-08-2012, 11:50 PM
ZHP = Patlabor

Mein Auto: Mini Clubmn,Odyssey,Miata
So all the press hype about the lower suspension and better tuned springs and shocks for the M-Sport package were all BS from BMW? Wtf, where are the real non-cosmetic upgrades like the old ZHP package in the E46.

Guess I'm going back to Japanese imports such as an EVO X MR touring/SE with TC-SST which the F30 328i m-sport is copied from......sigh
Old 09-09-2012, 02:16 AM

Quote:
So all the press hype about the lower suspension and better tuned springs and shocks for the M-Sport package were all BS from BMW? Wtf, where are the real non-cosmetic upgrades like the old ZHP package in the E46.

Guess I'm going back to Japanese imports such as an EVO X MR touring/SE with TC-SST which the F30 328i m-sport is copied from......sigh
There there man in the Dynamic Handling package. By far the most cost effective performance package available.

2013 335i Sportline | M-adaptive | HK | NAV | PDC | Heated Front seats |6-speed MT.

2008 X5 4.8i - Turned in 1/24/11 They created the Lemon law because of this SUV.
Old 09-09-2012, 08:40 AM
ZHP = Patlabor

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsor027 View Post
There there man in the Dynamic Handling package. By far the most cost effective performance package available.
I've test driven the dynamic/adaptive handling package and it's inferior at limit driving to the standard suspension. Does not recover fast enough for switchback transitions or load shifting between hard to late braking to out of apex exit accel. Seems to also decrease the road feel compared to the E46 ZHP and E90 335i sport. It's almost as if the electronics are trying to compensate for the drivers input corrections with a delay.

Last edited by av98; 09-09-2012 at 08:42 AM.
Old 09-09-2012, 02:23 PM
Not Wearing Pants

Quote:
I've test driven the dynamic/adaptive handling package and it's inferior at limit driving to the standard suspension. Does not recover fast enough for switchback transitions or load shifting between hard to late braking to out of apex exit accel. Seems to also decrease the road feel compared to the E46 ZHP and E90 335i sport. It's almost as if the electronics are trying to compensate for the drivers input corrections with a delay.
Agreed. Dynamic handling didn't seem impressive to me. Just another doohickey...
Old 09-09-2012, 03:11 PM

Mein Auto: Honda Accord :(
Quote:
Agreed. Dynamic handling didn't seem impressive to me. Just another doohickey...
I've been contemplating whether or not to get the DH package or just get aftermarket springs later. I just worry about fixing those shocks once out of warranty.
Old 09-09-2012, 08:29 PM

Mein Auto: F30 328i Sport
Quote:
Quote:
Happy i didn't get it
Old 09-09-2012, 09:26 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 2013 328i Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentZero View Post
I won't go into to much detail. What can be said that hasn't already been said? I have driven the automatic one already and there is one big difference between the two in my opinion. The N20 engine is just not made for the manual transmission. I felt like I had to keep the RPMs really high to keep it in the sweet spot. In the automatic it seemed like it was always in the sweet spot. Probably has to do with 6 speeds versus eight speeds transmissions.

They also had the Estiril blue on the lot and the color is amazing. Definitely the route I'm going to go when I order.

I also tried to test drive a S4 but the salesman said they never get them in. He said to drive it I would have to order it first which is just stupid. I think the interior (which is the same on the S5) is a little bit better but I'm not ordering a car before driving it.
Same thing happened to me when I wanted to test drive a Audi S4. None in stock, and they wanted me to leave a deposit. That was not going to happen. Audi's are in short supply and I assume it affects potential sales. Ordered a BMW instead. No regrets!
Old 09-09-2012, 09:47 PM

Mein Auto: '11 E93 335is & '08 535xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by VLing View Post
Same thing happened to me when I wanted to test drive a Audi S4. None in stock, and they wanted me to leave a deposit. That was not going to happen. Audi's are in short supply and I assume it affects potential sales. Ordered a BMW instead. No regrets!
That's because Audi usually closes their manufacturing plant(s) for the month of August and then start producing the new model year cars when they return. If my memory is correct, I think they produce the new model cars for only about three weeks before shutting down.

Current Stablemates:
'12 Porsche 911 GTS Cabriolet; '11 BMW E93 335is; '08 BMW E60 535xi
Favorite Cars Gone But Not Forgotten:
'09 Corvette ZO6; '04 MB S600; '01 BMW 740iL; '90 Nissan 300ZX 2+2; '89 Jeep Grand Wagoneer; '79 BMW 320i; '79 MB 300D; '67 MG Midget
Old 09-09-2012, 09:51 PM

Mein Auto: F30 328i Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by beden1 View Post
That's because Audi usually closes their manufacturing plant(s) for the month of August and then start producing the new model year cars when they return. If my memory is correct, I think they produce the new model cars for only about three weeks before shutting down.
ive ben seeing the new style a4s for a while now. the cars im seeing must have been produced in june.
Old 09-10-2012, 06:47 AM

Mein Auto: '98 M E36/7:'13 F30 RWD
My 6mt is finally broken in.

I gave it the business yesterday which netted a solid 1-2 gear scratch and even a flash of the traction light on the 2-3 shift. TQ is there, plenty low, just squeeze the pedal in 6th even at low speed.

Now I do find that power does taper, seems like little point to be going over 6k. I am dyno'ing this week and will verify.

Let's just say if this car ONLY came with the 8spd auto I would not be owning one right now.

E36/7: Dinan/RMS stage 2+ blower@13lbs of BOOST! 18" BBS LM's, too much more to list
F30: ForgeStar F14 19's summer-OZ Superleggera 17's winter/Rogue Catback/Integral Audio/AFE intake scoop/BMS stage 1
Old 09-10-2012, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Well i didn't take the car to the limits bro and honestly if someone takes the 335i to its limits the street then he is asking to get killed...neither am I planning to drive the car on the track. That being said for me at least the adaptive handling package is well worth the 1K.

Old 09-10-2012, 11:44 PM
ZHP = Patlabor

Quote:
Well i didn't take the car to the limits bro and honestly if someone takes the 335i to its limits the street then he is asking to get killed...neither am I planning to drive the car on the track. That being said for me at least the adaptive handling package is well worth the 1K.
I only drove 7/10ths which is more than enough on the street to induce the traction control but it does show the compliance of the suspension and brakes. I think the sales guy loved the fact I drove the car and didn't complain about heated seats or a rear view camera. He says most perspective E9x and F30 buyers worry about those more than how the car drives. For reference I test drove an F30 335i Sport 6MT with the DH. This was 3 months after initially testing a 328i Sport 8AT.

For comparisons sake we took the same freeway entrance then exit then right hand long sweeper for both cars. Definitely enjoyed the 6MT experience and better brakes of the 335i. Those 4 pots up front really make a diff but it is heavier in the front compared to the 328i. When I shifted weight via a combination of engine brake/partial rev matching/braking the 328i's suspension settled faster than the 335i's DH; like it couldn't make up it's mind with the combination of driving techniques I was throwing at it. When I eliminated the engine brake technique and just full rev matched + braking then it adapted much better. The main reason I use the 3 technique deceleration with transition is that it's the best real world scenario to keep momentum along with decreasing speed in a controlled manner if done exactly right.

The most fulfilling part was when I took the sales guy in my current ZHP with Koni yellows, Hotchkis sways and Porterfield R4S pads through the same test drive route but went faster and flatter. His grin and giggles were priceless. I think I sold him on getting some swaybars for his E90.

Last edited by av98; 09-10-2012 at 11:52 PM.
Old 10-01-2012, 02:24 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 Imola M3
Quote:
I only drove 7/10ths which is more than enough on the street to induce the traction control but it does show the compliance of the suspension and brakes. I think the sales guy loved the fact I drove the car and didn't complain about heated seats or a rear view camera. He says most perspective E9x and F30 buyers worry about those more than how the car drives. For reference I test drove an F30 335i Sport 6MT with the DH. This was 3 months after initially testing a 328i Sport 8AT.

For comparisons sake we took the same freeway entrance then exit then right hand long sweeper for both cars. Definitely enjoyed the 6MT experience and better brakes of the 335i. Those 4 pots up front really make a diff but it is heavier in the front compared to the 328i. When I shifted weight via a combination of engine brake/partial rev matching/braking the 328i's suspension settled faster than the 335i's DH; like it couldn't make up it's mind with the combination of driving techniques I was throwing at it. When I eliminated the engine brake technique and just full rev matched + braking then it adapted much better. The main reason I use the 3 technique deceleration with transition is that it's the best real world scenario to keep momentum along with decreasing speed in a controlled manner if done exactly right.

The most fulfilling part was when I took the sales guy in my current ZHP with Koni yellows, Hotchkis sways and Porterfield R4S pads through the same test drive route but went faster and flatter. His grin and giggles were priceless. I think I sold him on getting some swaybars for his E90.
I'd love to know which dealership you went to for the 335i 6MT test drive. I'm looking for one to drive and haven't found one yet.
Old 10-01-2012, 02:39 PM

Still maintain the M sport is not worth that much extra money

AV98 you sure someone didn't set a different suspension setting in the I-drive? because you can have it in sport and with DH you can set comfort suspension settings in the I-drive. I test drove an exact car such as you did, and I thought the DHP made it sharper still. Hell I thought it was better than a similar spec 335i Sportline I tested two weeks before that and I too drove it at 7/10s.

Last edited by windsor027; 10-01-2012 at 02:44 PM.
Old 10-01-2012, 02:55 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 Imola M3
Quote:
That's why it's an option. In a lot of other markets, the M Sport kit comes "standard"—as in the price of the car already factors the extra cost, so you end up paying extra by default. It varies by market, of course. It's only in the latter years of the E9x and now the F30 that we're seeing M Sport available in the U.S. To me, the car looks more correct with the M Sport kit, so I will gladly elect that option. Everything else in terms of performance can be added with after market items. I know the variations of the M Sport kit will also show up through the after market vendors, but after factoring painting, fitting, etc. it's simpler just to get it done right from the factory. If you don't like the look of the M Sport, good for you. Money saved.

Personally, I think BMW should have done a the M Sport as a reverse option: Include it and the extra cost, but allow customers to delete if they want to save some money.
Old 10-01-2012, 06:07 PM
ZHP = Patlabor

Quote:

AV98 you sure someone didn't set a different suspension setting in the I-drive? because you can have it in sport and with DH you can set comfort suspension settings in the I-drive. I test drove an exact car such as you did, and I thought the DHP made it sharper still. Hell I thought it was better than a similar spec 335i Sportline I tested two weeks before that and I too drove it at 7/10s.
Yes both were set properly- Sport+ and DH was in Sport. It was the second things I set after the seat and mirrors. Same sales guy that went with me on my 328i test drive didn't even try to explain to me anything else other than the performance differences between the 335i vs the 328i; brakes, engine, DH, extra weight.

My test drives were in Fremont BMW as it's otw to my work everyday.
Old 10-02-2012, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Yes both were set properly- Sport+ and DH was in Sport. It was the second things I set after the seat and mirrors. Same sales guy that went with me on my 328i test drive didn't even try to explain to me anything else other than the performance differences between the 335i vs the 328i; brakes, engine, DH, extra weight.

My test drives were in Fremont BMW as it's otw to my work everyday.
Fair enough. I have to say however my experience with it was the opposite. i felt the car was more planted at a spirited speed because it absorbs the bumps better.

But then again that is why you need to test drive the performance options to see if they are worth it to you.