Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 09-30-2012, 09:22 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: F30 328i Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by windsor027 View Post
Man this is one depressing thread. I should have the car in a week's time, lets just say I will be one pissed off customer if this issue is there. I don't have the time to dick around with the dealer every other week. You get a 50k vehicle you want it to at the very least do the obvious things very well and being vibration free is one of those things.
I went to the dealer once before getting my car replaced.
Old 09-30-2012, 09:32 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 335i and 2014 X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinnum1 View Post
I went to the dealer once before getting my car replaced.
You are getting a car exactly the same as I am. What makes you think you will not have the same problem? Honestly who has time for crap like this. BMW is messing up here.

2013 335i Sportline | M-adaptive | HK | NAV | PDC | Heated Front seats |6-speed MT.

2011 X5 35d Great SUV gone

2009 C350 Mercedes Gone 7-31-2012, good car but boooooooooring.

2008 X5 4.8i - Turned in 1/24/11 They created the Lemon law because of this SUV.
Old 09-30-2012, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsor027 View Post
You are getting a car exactly the same as I am. What makes you think you will not have the same problem? Honestly who has time for crap like this. BMW is messing up here.
I am expecting to have the problem and thats ok. It doesn't bother me a whole lot, i can barely feel the vibration, its more of a visual vibration and i didnt really have to spend much time at all to get my car replaced.
Old 09-30-2012, 09:57 AM

Mein Auto: F30
Quote:
I am expecting to have the problem and thats ok. It doesn't bother me a whole lot, i can barely feel the vibration, its more of a visual vibration and i didnt really have to spend much time at all to get my car replaced.
But the point is not how many times you need to go to a dealer to get it fixed/repaired or in your case get it replaced, lets face it not every dealer will agree to replace everybody's F30 with the steering issue...the point is a $50K bimmer should not have any major issues like the vibration.
Old 09-30-2012, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MML007 View Post
But the point is not how many times you need to go to a dealer to get it fixed/repaired or in your case get it replaced, lets face it not every dealer will agree to replace everybody's F30 with the steering issue...the point is a $50K bimmer should not have any major issues like the vibration.
I agree, but imo the vibration is not a major issue. I dont feel it. Some others might and in their case they should just pass on the F30 if it will be to big of an issue because there is no fix.
Old 10-01-2012, 12:14 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 F30 BMW 328i xDrive
Potential new BMW owner... thwarted by this problem

Any other updates on this problem?

I'll admit this has me quite concerned. I have never owned a BMW. Until learning about this problem I was very close to leasing a 328i xDrive Sport line. While the vehicle I test drove did not have the "vibration" issue, enough of you have raised it as a concern that it's forcing me to think about putting a pause to my plans. I'd hate to wait 4-6 weeks or more for a vehicle that costs upwards of $48K to have a constantly vibrating steering wheel (and I too would probably be driven crazy knowing it might be a problem).

The problem seems to be reported on most every 3-series forum on all of the major BMW user groups/enthusiast sites.

I still cannot tease out whether this problem is exclusive to the models without the dynamic handling package. It seems that far more people are reporting problems with the non-dynamic models, but then again the results are hard to tabulate as they are scattered across all these boards. Several enthusiasts pointed out that the manufacturer of the electric steering modules is different on the non-dynamic models. But then again, others mention their problem being miraculously fixed with only a more in-depth balancing using a roadforce system.

It surprises me that BMW would allow this problem to go on this long without a fix, if it truly exists. After all this vehicle is a benchmark and their biggest seller. Makes me wonder about a more serious engineering flaw? You'd think that if this problem was isolated to a steering module issue, that they'd just issue a systematic recall for those vehicles and voila, problem fixed.

Thoughts? Should I just wait another 3-6 months and see what happens?
Really wanted to join the BMW family but looking less likely now.
Help!
Old 10-01-2012, 01:32 PM
Swedish Murder Machine

Mein Auto: 328i x-drive
If the problems are in the wheel balancing and/or bad wheels, as the re-released technical service bulletin seems to indicate it is unlikely that the adaptive handling package has anything to do with it.

I would not hesitate to order. If this problem affects you, BMW will make it right. Some people have gotten entire new cars over this and the number of 2013 MY owners reporting trouble is pretty low.
Old 10-01-2012, 01:38 PM

Mein Auto: F30 328i Sedan
If you are getting a replacement vehicle on a lease, how would that work? Do you just pick out a new car and they carry what $ you put down into the new lease? Thanks.
Old 10-01-2012, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by legaleye3000 View Post
If you are getting a replacement vehicle on a lease, how would that work? Do you just pick out a new car and they carry what $ you put down into the new lease? Thanks.
Pretty much
Old 10-01-2012, 05:15 PM
Beemin' in my Bimmer ;-)

Mein Auto: F30 335i MSpt- Mus GT 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seekup41 View Post
Any other updates on this problem?

I'll admit this has me quite concerned. I have never owned a BMW. Until learning about this problem I was very close to leasing a 328i xDrive Sport line.
Really, I've never seen a car forum for any brand or model that didn't have an issue or two that could make one worry. In the end, probably a very small percentage of the cars actually have the issue. Most people that have no issues with their cars never post on a forum like this. But, the guy who discovers a problem will do a google search, and the next thing you know, he's here. It's just the way it goes. I wouldn't worry.

Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. Will Rogers

2013 335i M Sport- EBII / BLACK / Dk Walnut
Pkgs-Prem/ DHP/ Tech/ DA/DA+ Opts- 8Sprt AT/ Htd FS/ HK/ Hi Bm Asst/ 403 19" w/perf

ED#2-04/23/13-
Photos:
https://picasaweb.google.com/mdsbuc/...eat=directlink
ED#1-10/10/05-
Photos:
Old 10-01-2012, 05:35 PM

i think a large majority of cars have the issue. I also think most drivers(not enthusiasts) dont notice it.
Old 10-01-2012, 07:09 PM
Beemin' in my Bimmer ;-)

Quote:
i think a large majority of cars have the issue. I also think most drivers(not enthusiasts) dont notice it.
If the car has a problem that you can't live with, and a "large majority" have it, why would you reorder the car? Why not move onto an S4 or whatever?

Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. Will Rogers

Pkgs-Prem/ DHP/ Tech/ DA/DA+ Opts- 8Sprt AT/ Htd FS/ HK/ Hi Bm Asst/ 403 19" w/perf

ED#2-04/23/13-
Photos:
ED#1-10/10/05-
Photos:
Old 10-01-2012, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsbuc View Post
If the car has a problem that you can't live with, and a "large majority" have it, why would you reorder the car? Why not move onto an S4 or whatever?

I have driven the S4 before and i do not like it. I dont like all wheel drive, i dont like the front weight bias and i dont like the styling. I personally can't really feel the vibration, its more of something i see. I never said i couldn't live with it. But BMW is taking care of me, putting me in a very nice 335 and for less than i am currently paying each month, plus i am getting performance exhaust which i am excited about. I do not like the a4/s4. Much rather being driving 3series.
Old 10-01-2012, 08:03 PM
Beemin' in my Bimmer ;-)

Quote:
I have driven the S4 before and i do not like it. I dont like all wheel drive, i dont like the front weight bias and i dont like the styling. I personally can't really feel the vibration, its more of something i see. I never said i couldn't live with it. But BMW is taking care of me, putting me in a very nice 335 and for less than i am currently paying each month, plus i am getting performance exhaust which i am excited about. I do not like the a4/s4. Much rather being driving 3series.
Fair enough. Still, I believe that "large majority" is a bit of hyperbole. There are many test drives reported here, including two different vehicles I've driven, where there are no reports of the problem. Add to that all the cars that have been delivered with no problems. I don't disagree that you have personally experienced the problem, nor that others have too, but I still contend that the problem probably affects a very small percentage of vehicles sold.

ED#2-04/23/13-
Photos:
ED#1-10/10/05-
Photos:
Old 10-01-2012, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsbuc View Post
Fair enough. Still, I believe that "large majority" is a bit of hyperbole. There are many test drives reported here, including two different vehicles I've driven, where there are no reports of the problem. Add to that all the cars that have been delivered with no problems. I don't disagree that you have personally experienced the problem, nor that others have too, but I still contend that the problem probably affects a very small percentage of vehicles sold.

That's fine, but i think its more widespread than you are saying. It is a vibration that is very hard to feel, most people probably wouldnt even feel it. Considering who the average bmw driver is, i would be surpirsed if they did feel it. Especially if its not something you are looking for.

Either way, my dealer has been great and so has BMWNA. Hopefully the new car wont be any worse than my current car. I have yet to drive a F30 335, looking forward to my maiden voyage
Old 10-01-2012, 08:18 PM
Swedish Murder Machine

I think BMW owners are more anal retentive than you are giving them credit for.

Not to mention that the F30 is a heavily reviewed car and no reviewers have mentioned this.
Old 10-01-2012, 08:21 PM

Mein Auto: F30
Quote:
Originally Posted by voip-ninja View Post

Not to mention that the F30 is a heavily reviewed car and no reviewers have mentioned this.
Very valid point.

+1
Old 10-01-2012, 08:25 PM

Quote:

Like i have said, its not really something you feel, its more a visual vibration and unless you are looking for it you probably wont find it. Check out f30post, i'd say 70%+ users have the issue. I have driven 4 cars on the dealer lot and they all have the issue.

Average bmw owner is not a car enthusiast.
Old 10-01-2012, 09:52 PM

Mein Auto: '11 E93 335is & '08 535xi
Quote:
Like i have said, its not really something you feel, its more a visual vibration and unless you are looking for it you probably wont find it. Check out f30post, i'd say 70%+ users have the issue. I have driven 4 cars on the dealer lot and they all have the issue.

I've read through this thread and I guess I'm finding your explanations to be a bit hard to understand?

If it's "not really something you feel" then why is BMW replacing your car? It doesn't add up somehow, especially when you say that you only had your car to the dealer once for this issue?

Last edited by beden1; 10-01-2012 at 09:53 PM.
Old 10-01-2012, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beden1 View Post
I've read through this thread and I guess I'm finding your explanations to be a bit hard to understand?

If it's "not really something you feel" then why is BMW replacing your car? It doesn't add up somehow, especially when you say that you only had your car to the dealer once for this issue?
When i take my hands off the wheel i can see it shaking, i cant really feel it but i see it. I have purchased 15+ cars from my dealer over the past few years(none of them had a shaking steering wheel) and they want to make sure i am a happy customer. My shop forman knows of the issue and knows there is no fix so there was no need to bring it in more than once, not to mention his own personal F30 has the same issue. So BMWNA is doing me a solid and buying my car back and putting me in a nice 335msport for less than i am currently paying. I have had a few cars replaced by BMW, mainly because i am a very picky customer and have high expectations. Sorry if you are unable to understand it.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:03 PM

Mein Auto: '11 E93 335is & '08 535xi
Quote:
When i take my hands off the wheel i can see it shaking, i cant really feel it but i see it. I have purchased 15+ cars from my dealer over the past few years(none of them had a shaking steering wheel) and they want to make sure i am a happy customer. My shop forman knows of the issue and knows there is no fix so there was no need to bring it in more than once, not to mention his own personal F30 has the same issue. So BMWNA is doing me a solid and buying my car back and putting me in a nice 335msport for less than i am currently paying. I have had a few cars replaced by BMW, mainly because i am a very picky customer and have high expectations. Sorry if you are unable to understand it.
I just went through this thread again and there are maybe 4-5 people who think they have a vibration issue, and only three seem to be the same as what you are describing.

You have purchased 15+ cars from your dealer in the past few years, plus Porsches, etc. that you said you have owned? You must only keep each a couple of months and lose big time in depreciation?
Old 10-01-2012, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beden1 View Post
I just went through this thread again and there are maybe 4-5 people who think they have a vibration issue, and only three seem to be the same as what you are describing.

You have purchased 15+ cars from your dealer in the past few years, plus Porsches, etc. that you said you have owned? You must only keep each a couple of months and lose big time in depreciation?
Had the 996 back in 99 when it first came out, got rid of it about 4 years later. Had quite a few issues with rattles but overall was a great car. The sales guy at champion actually ordered the car for himself but it worked out well. Haven't had a porsche since but am looking to pick up a boxster s in the near future. Have you had a chance to drive the new boxster yet?
Old 10-02-2012, 07:52 AM
Swedish Murder Machine

Quote:

The reviewers who generally bag on all sorts of things that affect the driveability are not enthusiasts?

From your description of the "problem" it has zero impact on how the car drives but is simply a visual annoyance.... so it seems a bit silly to insist that if someone does not notice it, the reason is that they are not an "enthusiast".

Bottom line is that if someone has a problem, BMW should fix it. The flip side is, does this actually qualify as a real problem if it in no way affects how the car drives? I would probably be more annoyed by a squeak or rattle than some subtle visual thing that I would never notice while driving.

For the record I have never observed what you are describing with my 2013 x-drive 328i, which has the adaptive m suspension.
Old 10-02-2012, 08:54 AM

Quote:
The reviewers who generally bag on all sorts of things that affect the driveability are not enthusiasts?

From your description of the "problem" it has zero impact on how the car drives but is simply a visual annoyance.... so it seems a bit silly to insist that if someone does not notice it, the reason is that they are not an "enthusiast".

Bottom line is that if someone has a problem, BMW should fix it. The flip side is, does this actually qualify as a real problem if it in no way affects how the car drives? I would probably be more annoyed by a squeak or rattle than some subtle visual thing that I would never notice while driving.

For the record I have never observed what you are describing with my 2013 x-drive 328i, which has the adaptive m suspension.
where did i say reviewers are not car enthusiasts? Bottom line is there is a problem with my steering wheel, considering the amount of BMW's i have owned i know what a bmw steering wheel should look like when driving down a str8 road at 60mph. It should not be shaking. My shop forman agreed with me, and now they are replacing my car since there is no fix.

Just because i have a hard time "feeling it", you might drive my car and either not notice it all or think its worse than i am saying it is.

Anyways, there is a problem with my car and they are taking care of it.

Last edited by justinnum1; 10-02-2012 at 08:59 AM.
Old 10-02-2012, 08:55 AM
Swedish Murder Machine

Quote:
where did i say reviewers are not car enthusiasts? Bottom line is there is a problem with my steering wheel, considering the amount of BMW's i have owned i know what a bmw steering wheel should look like when driving down a str8 road at 60mph. It should not be shaking. My shop forman agreed with me, and now they are replacing my car since there is no fix.
You have said that the majority of the cars you've driven exhibit the problem, so what happens if your new one also does it? Personally I'm more inclined to believe that the problem is more of a rarity as I've never observed it and have driven about six different F30s now... but maybe I'm not enough of an enthusiast to notice it.

Also, if BMW is replacing entire cars over the issue they would be very highly motivated to discover the cause and get it corrected.

Last edited by voip-ninja; 10-02-2012 at 08:57 AM.