Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-02-2012, 10:01 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW 535i + 535XI wagon
Headlight, Xenon bulb replacement

Just replaced a burned out headlight xenon bulb.
BMW wanted almost $400 to replace it ($240 for part, plus $130 for an hour of labor, plus tax).

Instead I went for Option B and bought the bulb for $40 on ebay. The oem bulb is an Osram D1S with 4150k brightness.

I bought a DOT stamped Philips XenStart D1S Xenon from
oemxenonparts, 4300k, and it matches perfectly with the Osram. No need to replace both.

Installation required removing 2 top screws and 2 at the bottom, you need an extension to reach down. The headlight unit then slides forward and you wriggle it loose and tilt out of the cavity. A plastic cover on the back drops down to expose the bulb. turn it 1/4 turn and remove. Unplug the wire, take off the neckless type bracket, like a collar, and clip onto new bulb. Install.
Whole procedure took 20-30 minutes but this was a first time experience and I was figuring it out on the fly.
The 2 lower screws are tricky to refasten. You need an 8mm socket with magnet at bottom to hold the screw, or a nut driver with long shaft, 6 inches or so. I stuffed a little duct tape inside to make it sticky. Did the job.
Advertisement