Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E30 (1982 - 1993)

E30 (1982 - 1993)
God's Chariot. The E30 was produced primarily from 1982 through 1991. The cabriolet was the one exception which was produced through 1993.

Old 10-02-2012, 12:33 PM

Mein Auto: e30
88 325i purchase questions - suspension rebuild

Hi all -
New to the forums and looking to purchase an e30 convertible. My current daily driver is an 88 Suzuki Samurai, which is a bit like driving a tank. great for snow and mud but not much else. I contacted this gentleman today about his car (http://asheville.craigslist.org/cto/3308382676.html) and am going to look it over tonight. I don't think I'll be able to have a mechanic go over it before purchasing. The seller says that, in addition to the issues listed in the ad, the suspension probably needs sorting out. from what i've seen, suspension kits for these go for around $800.

I feel reasonably handy with most normal maintenance tasks (oil, brakes, filters, electrical wiring, etc.) but haven't messed with this type of stuff before. Is it doable? Is the car a good deal? Any feedback would be appreciated. The seller seems to be a bit of an enthusiast so I don't think it's a ripoff but I am definitely just getting my feet wet in the world of e30s. thanks in advance.
Advertisement
Old 10-03-2012, 06:34 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 325i vert
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaredrutledge View Post
Hi all -
New to the forums and looking to purchase an e30 convertible. My current daily driver is an 88 Suzuki Samurai, which is a bit like driving a tank. great for snow and mud but not much else. I contacted this gentleman today about his car (http://asheville.craigslist.org/cto/3308382676.html) and am going to look it over tonight. I don't think I'll be able to have a mechanic go over it before purchasing. The seller says that, in addition to the issues listed in the ad, the suspension probably needs sorting out. from what i've seen, suspension kits for these go for around $800.

I feel reasonably handy with most normal maintenance tasks (oil, brakes, filters, electrical wiring, etc.) but haven't messed with this type of stuff before. Is it doable? Is the car a good deal? Any feedback would be appreciated. The seller seems to be a bit of an enthusiast so I don't think it's a ripoff but I am definitely just getting my feet wet in the world of e30s. thanks in advance.
I bought one about 3weeks ago and worse shape for $650. I have no clue if the TB was replaced so I have planned to do it on the next long weekend.

As far as the suspension, my wife dubbed my vert "Jouncy". The rear shocks had broken at their tops and all the springs need to be replaced. The car was like a roller coaster on every bump.

I have completed the rear suspension(Shocks and struts), I spent about $100 for the rear shocks and mounts, and $230 for 4 springs(Front and Rear). I just ordered 2 struts off ebay for $65 a pair.

As far as the Odometer goes, if it is just the ODO, and the speedo works it is probably the gear set in the speedo. There are several how-to to replace them and the parts are less than $20. If the speedo is not working consistently it is a little harder but not too much for someone of moderate skills. I ended up pulling the speedo and re-soldering all the connections on the circuit board. Sounds harder than it is.

I can tell you that I have been all smiles since I bought my 87. Even with all the issues, I really enjoy driving with the top down.
Old 10-14-2012, 09:25 AM

bought this vert and am happy with it thus far.... a little bouncy but im gonna get the suspension sorted soon. i replaced the hex head bolts with torx bolts from pelican, and only issue was that the second turn of 90 degrees didnt happen on some of the bolts. they were too tight already. would that cause issues? no leaks and its running fine. thoughts?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Bimmer App
Old 10-14-2012, 10:10 AM
D'oh, You kids!

Mein Auto: 1995 318is / 1993 325is
Where were you replacing bolts that needed to be angle torqued? None of the suspension parts are like that. Only the head bolts on a E30 that I'm aware of.
buying a ratty example (of a BMW) is a parasitic relationship.(and you ain't the mosquito) 7pilot

Ken Kanne, Silverhill, AL, E36 Forum Mod/Craigslist addict/Hoarder of all sorts of stuff
BMW-CCA #441426
1995 318is "Bebe"; 1993 325is "Elvira" 1985 635CSi "Katja" 1984 633CSi "Sylvia"
HAVE I HAD MY MEDS YET?

Old 10-14-2012, 11:03 AM

yeah the headbolts. sorry for not specifying.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Bimmer App
Old 10-14-2012, 11:41 AM
livin large

Mein Auto: 2012 hypermotard 796
did you happen to use any antiseize?
Old 10-14-2012, 11:47 AM

i didn't. i cleaned the holes with brake cleaner as i did them (took each bolt out and replaced it one at a time) and the victor reinz torx bolts had a small amount of lubricant on them. the bolt holes were clean and dry.
Old 10-14-2012, 01:12 PM

Mein Auto: Auto
Nice pick. I picked up a vert last week and loving it. Make sure you replace the Water Pump if the PO was unable to show you proof that it has already been done.
Old 10-14-2012, 01:52 PM
D'oh, You kids!

Mein Auto: 1995 318is / 1993 325is
Why did you replace the head bolts? Were the Victor Reinz bolts made specifically for the M20 head? I think the reason they couldn't be turned the second 90* torque is because they weren't the right bolts. The OEM bolts are "torque to yield" pieces. The are designed to stretch a certain amount.

You said you replaced them one at a time. I guess you took one out, cleaned the hole, and then put the new bolt in and torqued it to specs (30 ft/lb IIRC), then tried to turn it the 90* and then another 90*. I have my doubts about that working. It might, it might not. Still curious why you replaced the bolts..........
buying a ratty example (of a BMW) is a parasitic relationship.(and you ain't the mosquito) 7pilot

Ken Kanne, Silverhill, AL, E36 Forum Mod/Craigslist addict/Hoarder of all sorts of stuff
BMW-CCA #441426
1995 318is "Bebe"; 1993 325is "Elvira" 1985 635CSi "Katja" 1984 633CSi "Sylvia"
HAVE I HAD MY MEDS YET?

Old 10-14-2012, 03:48 PM
livin large

Mein Auto: 2012 hypermotard 796
if you were that far, why didnt you just replace the head gasket?
Old 10-14-2012, 04:01 PM

the guy i bought it from just replaced the head gasket (see this thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=264092), but he reused the old hex head bolts which from everything i read is a bad idea. so, before driving it much, i replaced the bolts according to this pelican tech article (http://www.pelicanparts.com/bmw/tech...d_bolt_fix.htm) because they were the original ribe hex head bolts. i used the pelican recommended bolts and did what they said, but some of the bolts didn't turn the final 90 degrees. if anything they're slightly overtightened - nothing's leaking and it runs as well as it did before. the specs on the torx bolts are 22 ft/lb, then 90 degrees, then 90 degrees.
Old 11-05-2012, 10:33 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via MSN to fporro Send a message via Yahoo to fporro Send a message via Skype™ to fporro
Mein Auto: 87 325iC
welcome to cabrio club., coilovers and shocks are $440

Last edited by fporro; 11-05-2012 at 10:34 PM.