Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 10-02-2012, 02:41 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 e46 4dr
Catalytic converter gone bad...time for exhaust :)

The time has come...my cats have gone bad in the car and I have been waiting to do an exhaust setup for my 2000 328i e46 4dr.

I probably should replace the cats, but I am eager to hear what other setup possibilities are out there for this type of car.

Other BIGGER issues at the time are these codes:

P1188 and P1189 ... fuel control problems
P0300 | P0302 and P0303 ... cylinder misfires

P1250
... not sure exactly what to do first, but need to get her back on the road!

Any help is greatly appreciated fellas!

Ads by Google
Old 10-02-2012, 03:30 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: bmw vert
I'm partng out 2 cats I have or 250 they are yours....no codes works perfectly only 78k on them

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Bimmer App
Old 10-02-2012, 04:11 PM

Mein Auto: 03 330ci 3pdl 89 325i
Second I have my stock front Mani if you want it. But if you don't have emission laws do headers you will fall in love.

Sent from my PantechP9060 using Bimmer App
Old 10-02-2012, 05:27 PM
Keeping it surreal

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
Tanner is right....if you have no mandatory DMV emissions inspection, you`re free to go for headers....you`ll see a performance gain, and a nice sound as well. Good luck !

*Please support the Wounded Warrior Project*

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....
Old 10-08-2012, 12:35 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 e46 4dr
Ok, so I am going to take out my worn cat converter and do a header back system. Does anyone have a quick write up on how I go about this?! Can I get a header and bolt it up to my stock exhaust? Any suggestions on how I go about this would be awesome!

Old 10-08-2012, 12:42 PM
Keeping it surreal

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragethreadsusa View Post
Ok, so I am going to take out my worn cat converter and do a header back system. Does anyone have a quick write up on how I go about this?! Can I get a header and bolt it up to my stock exhaust? Any suggestions on how I go about this would be awesome!
Sure, you can do it....any decent muffler shop can weld/fab up any interconnecting pipes you may need. A less-restrictive, free-flow exhaust would give you another 5 to 10 HP, but if you need to save $, the stock setup will suffice for now.

*Please support the Wounded Warrior Project*

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....
Old 10-10-2012, 08:48 AM

Mein Auto: 525i
My catalytic converter seems to be faulty and my service engine light soon comes on and goes off from time to time. I am really not willing to buy a new catalytic converter for my 2002 525i, with 175K miles. Can someone please let me know of an alternative as I really don't like that light coming on while driving?
Old 10-10-2012, 09:44 AM

Mein Auto: 03 330ci 3pdl 89 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCD View Post
My catalytic converter seems to be faulty and my service engine light soon comes on and goes off from time to time. I am really not willing to buy a new catalytic converter for my 2002 525i, with 175K miles. Can someone please let me know of an alternative as I really don't like that light coming on while driving?
If your converters are bad they need to be removed or replaced your catalyst is most likely clogged if your "cats are going bad." This will get worse and start hurting the cars performance. There is no easy fix to them. As for the light you can get a defouler kit that removes the O2s from the exhaust flow.

Sent from my PantechP9060 using Bimmer App
Old 10-10-2012, 10:04 PM

Mein Auto: 330i ZHP M/T
since ur gonna get a cats delete, i would go all the way and install cat-less headers (if ur state permits it)
i'm looking to get the headers in the near future from bimmerbrakes.com for around 200$
for any info, our good friend SPDSTKR will help u out, he's got them installed and very pleased with them

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Give a man a Chef and he feeds him for a lifetime
Old 10-11-2012, 09:56 PM

Mein Auto: 97 M3, 03 F350, M3 Racer
Cats don't "go bad". There is a problem within the combustion cycle (lean or rich) or there is contamination within the converter (coolant from a head gasket, or oil from rings).

Figure out what's wrong before you do anything. Those codes will lead you to what caused the failed cats, not a result of.

Jon
Old 03-07-2013, 09:01 AM

Mein Auto: 95 M3
Cats do go bad or clogged ^^^
U will lose power
Old 03-07-2013, 09:31 AM
I'm a DlCK! So what?

Mein Auto: E30 with an S52
Quote:
Originally Posted by heztheone View Post
since ur gonna get a cats delete, i would go all the way and install cat-less headers (if ur state permits it)
i'm looking to get the headers in the near future from bimmerbrakes.com for around 200$
for any info, our good friend SPDSTKR will help u out, he's got them installed and very pleased with them
You rang?

Yes... if your state has no emissions regulations, then I suggest installing headers. See... your catalytic converters are built into the headers; they're not in-line like most other vehicles.

What I would do if I were you would be the following:

1) BimmerBrakes.com headers. Their website is currently undergoing some changes, but e-mail them at info@bimmerbrakes.com for a quote on their product. Make sure you tell him SPDSKTR sent you!

2) When you get the headers installed, go to an exhaust shop and tell them you want a single 3" exhaust. You pick and choose your choice of mufflers and resonators.

3) While picking parts for the exhaust, you can also choose to put a race-grade catalytic converter in-line with your exhaust and relocate your O2 sensors so you stay legal and don't have a smelly car.

Headers DO make a difference in performance. My good friend smolck installed mine for me and followed me to the exhaust shop to get them connected to the rest of my exhaust (I had my headers coated by Jet-Hot and they apparently warped at the outlet due to the extremely high temperatures they were exposed to, so a custom piece was required). On the drive to the exhaust shop, I was seriously running open headers. It was loud. Stupid loud. Not fun loud.

Once they hooked up the pipes, though...

I have an odd popping noise at idle (my guess is uneven exhaust gas pulses), but once it gets up to 3,500 RPM and above, it sounds absolutely mean. The other benefit is the power. I actually chirped the tires going into third gear once (with 18" wheels and smolck in the passenger's seat). I also piss off smolck's 3.46 equipped ZHP, which is really something considering I have the stock 2.93 differential.

TL;DR: Headers are a great choice if planning to "replace your cats." Install a race cat in your new exhaust system to stay compliant with emissions laws (if applicable). Go with a 3" single pipe exhaust from the headers back for maximum power gains.

The full combination will probably net you around 9 to 12 WHP.

Good luck.

EDIT: Just for fun...

Through all this, though, my car is not in the greatest shape, it's loud, it's smelly, and it's not as refined as a ZHP. It's still a friggin' blast to drive.

Last edited by SPDSKTR; 03-08-2013 at 07:50 AM.