Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 10-02-2012, 06:38 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: F10 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevelup View Post
Send To Car has been around since 2007 on the 7 and 2008 on the 5. It uses GPRS packet data, so the availability of 3G services is irrelevant.

Only this year has the Combox been updated to 3G!
Sorry Steve, you are probably right in Europe but not in the US. I will be the first to admit that I really don't know much about European BMW options. I am only referring to the US, where I still say it was never implemented. I am however open to being proved wrong, if anyone can do that...

Last edited by miamiboyca; 10-02-2012 at 06:42 AM.
Old 10-02-2012, 06:39 AM

Mein Auto: German
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophisto View Post
So the Combox now is 3G, does this also mean the 2011 comboxes are upgradable to 3G?
Don't think the US combox is 3G. They use 2G GSM modems here in the US (running on AT&T)
Old 10-02-2012, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophisto View Post
So the Combox now is 3G, does this also mean the 2011 comboxes are upgradable to 3G?
The only way to upgrade from 2G - 3G is with a physical hardware change which changes out the radios (cellular/PCS radios not the car radio ) Think of it just like your phone.
Old 10-02-2012, 08:41 AM

Mein Auto: Beemer soon
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoUnion View Post
Don't think the US combox is 3G. They use 2G GSM modems here in the US (running on AT&T)
auto, just a followup. can you confirm if these works with the jellybean rom you used? i'm really of the verge of flashing my s3 just for these. going to be in a long trip from BOS to ORD this coming weeks. This would really come in handy. thanks in advance.

* does the aokp jelly bean rom support tethering? can you access the internet using your mobile phone data plan? i didnt sign up for the assist conv plan. not worth in IMO.
http://crave.cnet.co.uk/cartech/bmw-...view-50001034/
* does contact photos work?

appreciate it buddy!
Old 10-02-2012, 10:14 AM

^ gimme a few hours. I left my laptop at home and only have my phone on me. When I'm home from work, ill type up replies to everyone's questions and post the exact rom I'm using.

Expect a reply around 5:30-6pm (Boston time)
Old 10-02-2012, 02:25 PM

Mein Auto: F11 530D
Quote:
Thanks, I had it for a couple of months, quite a useless feature.
To slow, to much BMW inteference with the internet options.
No real mail functionality.

Any Iphone or Galaxy 3G gives more than this combox connected drive functionality.
To expensive too and really disapointing.
Old 10-02-2012, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogyoku View Post
auto, just a followup. can you confirm if these works with the jellybean rom you used? i'm really of the verge of flashing my s3 just for these. going to be in a long trip from BOS to ORD this coming weeks. This would really come in handy. thanks in advance.

* does the aokp jelly bean rom support tethering? can you access the internet using your mobile phone data plan? i didnt sign up for the assist conv plan. not worth in IMO.
http://crave.cnet.co.uk/cartech/bmw-...view-50001034/
* does contact photos work?

appreciate it buddy!
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1766684

This is the ROM. It doesn't have native wifi tethering. I downloaded FoxFi to tether to my Macbook Pro and iPad on the go. Even if it doesn't support BT tethering though, just download PDANet. It has the support (BT) that you are looking for.

Our iDrives aren't coded for iDrive tethering, so I can't confirm. I know people have done it aftermarket. Not sure if this rom does it though.

I don't have photos in my contacts on my phone, so can't confirm if iDrive transfers them over.

Last edited by AutoUnion; 10-02-2012 at 05:36 PM.
Old 10-02-2012, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dh321 View Post
Auto, please tell us what settings on your phone and car to get email. I'm on exchange and unable to get emails with my Galaxy S3. Texts come over fine, but not email. I upgraded from blackberry when the S3 came out and this is the only thing I miss from blackberry is the ability to get my emails via the office in my 528.
Not sure if exchange support works. I'm using this rom: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1766684

If I use the gmail app, it won't show up on the iDrive, but if I use the built-in email program and input my gmail settings manually, it works fine. I got rid of it and went back to my Gmail application because I'm getting too many emails and the iDrive couldn't keep up with it.
Old 10-02-2012, 06:10 PM

Mein Auto: Beemer soon
Quote:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1766684

This is the ROM. It doesn't have native wifi tethering. I downloaded FoxFi to tether to my Macbook Pro and iPad on the go. Even if it doesn't support BT tethering though, just download PDANet. It has the support (BT) that you are looking for.

Our iDrives aren't coded for iDrive tethering, so I can't confirm. I know people have done it aftermarket. Not sure if this rom does it though.

I don't have photos in my contacts on my phone, so can't confirm if iDrive transfers them over.
Thanks for looking this up!
So, PDANet connects with iDrive? And you can browse from iDrive? I'm sure you did, but you enable the bluetooth tethering option on the phone, and then re-paired your phone with the car?

Too bad US version of iDrive is limited. They really want us to go the conv plan route.
Old 10-02-2012, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogyoku View Post
Thanks for looking this up!
So, PDANet connects with iDrive? And you can browse from iDrive? I'm sure you did, but you enable the bluetooth tethering option on the phone, and then re-paired your phone with the car?

Too bad US version of iDrive is limited. They really want us to go the conv plan route.
PDANet gives the phone the support, but iDrive doesn't support it, unless you code it or have a EU spec car.
Old 10-17-2012, 10:07 AM

Just realized this is an AT&T ROM. I will have to find one for the Verizon S3.
Old 01-20-2013, 07:24 PM

Mein Auto: '11 535i, '99 328i retd
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwcranium View Post
I am able to sync my email if I use the native email app. It doesn't work for the gmail app.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdimagineer View Post
Are you using Gmail app? Gmail app won't work with the car. You need to use the separate e-mail application.
OK, so is this still the case for you guys (ie. are you getting email from Android on iDrive)?

If so, are you on the latest ver. of Android OS? I am and not only do I only get SMS (and other audio stuff) and not email, but I cannot disable or uninstall the Gmail app even though I do not use it (I use the native email app).

I've found this from another thread:

Also, some insight from a post on a F10 board, found via Google:

Initially, when Android was in Froyo/Gingerbread version, applications were allowed to read the phone's SMS & Email database and displayed them on our F10 . However, Google is since locked down the email database and no longer allow it to be read, citing security concerns. Therefor, bluetooth MAP can now only show SMS on our car, no more Emails.

So does anyone here have latest Andr OS and see emails on iDrive?