Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 06-18-2012, 10:52 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBCWitter View Post
Just to confirm, you have Titanium Silver Metallic and color 354 matches perfectly. Thanks for confirming.
yes, you are correct and it does match perfectly. It really looks OEM to me.
Old 09-10-2012, 07:34 PM
VincentCloudX07

Mein Auto: 2006 325I
Hey guys this is actually my first post ever on Bimmerfest, and i have some questions for everyone, if you could please help. I just bought the ac roof and trunk spoiler for my car, and they look great and are just what i wanted. what i am worried about is the installation. i read through your post and it gave me rough ideas about the glue and everything, but can anyone elaborate. I wouldent mind doing it myself to save the cash but if need be i also dont mind spending the cash to ensure that its done right. I dont want it coming off later down the road. Is the m3 tape really enough or should i use the glue as well?
Old 09-10-2012, 07:41 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Quote:
Originally Posted by VincentCloudX07 View Post
Hey guys this is actually my first post ever on Bimmerfest, and i have some questions for everyone, if you could please help. I just bought the ac roof and trunk spoiler for my car, and they look great and are just what i wanted. what i am worried about is the installation. i read through your post and it gave me rough ideas about the glue and everything, but can anyone elaborate. I wouldent mind doing it myself to save the cash but if need be i also dont mind spending the cash to ensure that its done right. I dont want it coming off later down the road. Is the m3 tape really enough or should i use the glue as well?
I screwed mine in - drilled two holes and screwed 2 screws in - and 3m taped it. It's going NOWHERE.

JB4 Tuner; RPi Exhaust; Sport, Prem & CW Pkgs; Nav; HUD; L7; hardwired V1; M Trunk Lip; Chrome Rims; 17% Tint; Michelin PS PS2s
Old 09-10-2012, 09:13 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 535i + 535XI wagon
You need to remove the wax from the area where the spoiler goes. then spread the "glue" which is actually an accelerant for the glue on the 3M tape. Press down on the spoiler and yer done. I used blue painters tape to mark up how the spoiler sits.
Old 09-10-2012, 09:15 PM

Mein Auto: 545i
I put a 2X4 under the trunk lid and nailed mine with five 10p nails and ...........

No, sorry, didn't mean to be facetious.

Amazed at delivery from Taiwan in under a week. Love the company name too! Silver grey metallic was spot on.

Used just supplied 3M tape after removing wax from trunk lid.

Just curious if the 3M tape will hold up better under Phoenix summers (probably 140degF on bodywork in direct sun) or Minnesota winters (-50degF air temp).

Please post up in future if your unit starts to come off.
Old 09-10-2012, 09:18 PM

i did mine twice as the tips start to come loose. The bumper is firmly glued, just the tips separating slightly due to high summer heat. i don't think screws are a good idea as I would worry about water getting into the trunk.
Old 09-10-2012, 10:51 PM
VincentCloudX07

I love and hate the idea of the screws, i know it would stay in, but idk if i could get myself to doing that to my car haha. *oceans10* i believe you said you got your spoiler from BMWchop to. I got two cleaning cloths, two tubes of primer application, and another tube which i assume is the glue, and two q-tips, did you get this as well? Are the two tubes of primer application the stuff that takes off the wax? sorry for my ignorance but these are some of my first mods. I appreciate the help and the amazingly quick replys.
would i need to sand my trunk at all or the spoiler to make the glue stick? the spoiler looks as if its already sanded or grooved. As well as, would i need to put the glue over the m3 tape?
Your steps on page one helped, but i dont know exactly how to go about things step by step with all the glues and stuff they gave me.
Old 09-10-2012, 11:05 PM
VincentCloudX07

heres the photos of the spoiler

this is my spoiler and the items that came with it.
the middle has no room for the glue unless its suppose to go over the m3 tape i guess haha. but the ends have a little room.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9135.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	241.6 KB
ID:	341330   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5859.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	229.1 KB
ID:	341331   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8126.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	229.0 KB
ID:	341332   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8825.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	217.0 KB
ID:	341333  

Last edited by VincentCloudX07; 09-10-2012 at 11:15 PM.
Old 09-11-2012, 04:28 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 535i M Sport
I bought my painted M5 lip spoiler from Painted King on eBay for $99 shipped via FedEx. It arrived in a little over a week. They custom painted it Platinum Gray Metallic (a color not listed by Painted King or Chop Shop) and it looks flawless, in fact, the paint job on the spoiler is better than on the car itself.
Premium, Value, Cold Weather, Sport Auto, Navigation, Satellite, Logic 7, Comfort Access, Park Distance, Fold Down Rear Seats, Heated Rear Seats, Rear Side Airbags, JB4 G5 ISO, BMS DCIs, Proform Clear Bra, LUX H8 LED angel eyes
Old 09-11-2012, 07:54 AM

Quote:
I love and hate the idea of the screws, i know it would stay in, but idk if i could get myself to doing that to my car haha. *oceans10* i believe you said you got your spoiler from BMWchop to. I got two cleaning cloths, two tubes of primer application, and another tube which i assume is the glue, and two q-tips, did you get this as well? Are the two tubes of primer application the stuff that takes off the wax? sorry for my ignorance but these are some of my first mods. I appreciate the help and the amazingly quick replys.
would i need to sand my trunk at all or the spoiler to make the glue stick? the spoiler looks as if its already sanded or grooved. As well as, would i need to put the glue over the m3 tape?
Your steps on page one helped, but i dont know exactly how to go about things step by step with all the glues and stuff they gave me.
I wiped off the wax with a little alcohol pad that came with the kit. Then applied the glue accelerant and pressed the spoiler onto it 9after removing the orange strips). Having marked up the edges with blue tape it was easy to fit it. It sticks very well, not gonna come off. My only issue is the tips lifting slightly, but it's not that noticable. Screws would certainly cure that, but they would have to be quite long and then I worry about leaks.
Old 09-11-2012, 09:00 AM

Quote:
I don't think I could bring myself to drill. Yes, if the hole were properly primed after drilling and the hole was large enough to not contact the screw passing through it and a rubberized grommet were used then probably rust and water entry could be prevented.

But I will always hold the memory of my father's first BMW, a brand new 1980 528e (E12 series). In those days dealer installed rust-proofing was popular (Ziebart). The idiot dealer drilled holes all over, sprayed the inner body with tar and then slapped plastic plugs into the holes. Even in those days BMW provided painting and undercoating from the factory far superior to American cars. The car was still in the family 10 years later, and the only place the car ever rusted was at each and every one of those holes they drilled in the car.
Old 09-11-2012, 01:38 PM
VincentCloudX07

im guessing that the big tube is the "glue" that i would put on the two small spaces on the spoiler where there isent m3 adhesive tape, am i correct?

Last edited by VincentCloudX07; 09-11-2012 at 02:25 PM.
Old 09-11-2012, 04:33 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 BMW 550i Sport
For both the Roof spoiler and the lip spoiler, I made sure i put additional lines of double-sided tape near the edges of each spoiler. If you look at the underside of the roof spoiler, you'll notice that it's recessed in the middle moreso than the edges. Putting tape in the middle won't allow the full strength of the tape to be used because the edges of the spoiler will touch the glass moreso than the middle. Put some additional tape along the edges and your roof spoiler won't go anywhere, guaranteed. I can probably lift my car by its roof spoiler...it's on there that tight.
Definitely use the adhesive promoter for the trunk spoiler. It works awesome!

Others:
2006 Corvette Conv, Z51,6sp (wife)
2007 Honda CBR1000RR Sold
2005 Triumph Daytona 650 (wife) Sold

Old 09-12-2012, 12:34 AM
VincentCloudX07

glue

ok cool. well has anyone had any problems with the glue when you take the spoiler off? something like it taking of the paint or anything, ive read a couple other comments on different posts about this problem, everyone asks abotu it but no one has actually had the experience to talk about it
Old 09-12-2012, 04:55 AM

no problem with paint and glue. No worries.
Old 09-30-2012, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceans10 View Post
I changed my kidneys as well.The slats/ribbons are matte black. Gives it a bit of a black nose without changing the chrome flange. Extremely subtle, most people miss it.
I'm looking to do the same thing. I want to keep the chrome surround and have the slats black. Did you paint the the slats or are the grills an aftermarket part?
Old 09-30-2012, 06:30 PM

$35 on eBay motors. Easy to swap, DIY.
PS, I have since painted the oil cooler you see in the center air dam. Just used an artist's brush and made it matte black so it doesn't draw attention.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN0238.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	218.7 KB
ID:	343888  

Last edited by Oceans10; 09-30-2012 at 06:34 PM.
Old 10-02-2012, 11:16 PM

I've been wanting to put an ACS type trunk spoiler on for a couple years, but never knew what ebay seller to trust or if it would be any good.
After reading this thread, I just bought it off of BMWChop.
Thanks for the info and I'll post pictures once it's on.
Old 05-11-2013, 03:38 PM
Old Timer (Really)

Mein Auto: 2009 BMW 535i Sport
Well, I finally got my M5 type spoiler and installed it 2 nights ago.

Ordered it from BMWChop (in Taiwan) on a Friday, and it arrived on the following Tuesday ... hooray for Federal Express! The box and spoiler were in perfect condition. The price has gone up a bit, from $92.00 to $98.00 including shipping ... but with competing products costing 2 to 3 times more, it's still a great price.

I installed it like Oceans suggested (marking with blue tape). The double-sided mounting tape came separate ... a roll of 5mm 3m core 4-1000, so I applied the tape to the spoiler a couple of days in advance and let it sit. Then I washed trunk area with Dawn dishwashing soap to remove the wax, and after drying it wiped the area with alcohol swabs. After fitting and marking the mounting location, I applied the primer and waited about an hour before installing. As the instructions suggested, I removed a few inches of the tape covering, and then fitted the spoiler, pulling back the tape covering a few inches at a time. (It worked just as the instructions said ... even though the spoiler was contacting the trunk.)

Spent some time pressing the spoiler down (especially the tips and front portion), and then removed the blue tape. Because I was a bit too liberal when applying the primer, there were a few areas that needed to be cleaned up ... WD40 to the rescue! (with Q-Tips). Waxed it today, and as Oceans said it looks OEM. As far as I can tell, the paint (Jet-Black) matches perfectly.

Really happy with the look, and just hope I installed it properly ... but right now it feels really solid. Taking a 2500 - 3000 mile (round trip) to Massachusetts in the near future, so that should be the test.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DNJ_2041_i2e_a.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	159.9 KB
ID:	375964   Click image for larger version

Name:	DNJ_2040_i2e_a.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	110.8 KB
ID:	375965   Click image for larger version

Name:	DNJ_2042_i2e_a.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	375966  

2009 535i Sport, Jet Black | Cobb Stage 2 Aggressive | Injen DCI | AR Downpipes | BMS Led Angel Eyes | Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus
2008 528i (Retired)
2006 328ci (Retired)
1975 US Army (Retired)
Old 05-11-2013, 03:43 PM
545i pilot

Mein Auto: e60 545i e34 540 e32 740
Re: M5 trunk lip spoiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnie35 View Post
Well, I finally got my M5 type spoiler and installed it 2 nights ago.

Ordered it from BMWChop (in Taiwan) on a Friday, and it arrived on the following Tuesday ... hooray for Federal Express! The box and spoiler were in perfect condition. The price has gone up a bit, from $92.00 to $98.00 including shipping ... but with competing products costing 2 to 3 times more, it's still a great price.

I installed it like Oceans suggested (marking with blue tape). The double-sided mounting tape came separate ... a roll of 5mm 3m core 4-1000, so I applied the tape to the spoiler a couple of days in advance and let it sit. Then I washed trunk area with Dawn dishwashing soap to remove the wax, and after drying it wiped the area with alcohol swabs. After fitting and marking the mounting location, I applied the primer and waited about an hour before installing. As the instructions suggested, I removed a few inches of the tape covering, and then fitted the spoiler, pulling back the tape covering a few inches at a time. (It worked just as the instructions said ... even though the spoiler was contacting the trunk.)

Spent some time pressing the spoiler down (especially the tips and front portion), and then removed the blue tape. Because I was a bit too liberal when applying the primer, there were a few areas that needed to be cleaned up ... WD40 to the rescue! (with Q-Tips). Waxed it today, and as Oceans said it looks OEM. As far as I can tell, the paint (Jet-Black) matches perfectly.

Really happy with the look, and just hope I installed it properly ... but right now it feels really solid. Taking a 2500 - 3000 mile (round trip) to Massachusetts in the near future, so that should be the test.
Sweet! Looks perfect. Good job.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 05-12-2013, 07:33 PM

Mein Auto: 535i X drive
How much does the OEM M5 truck spoiler cost? And has anyone bought the roof spoiler? Think about buying both to install on my 535i.
Old 05-13-2013, 11:50 AM
Drink E85 & inject Meth

Mein Auto: 2008 535xi
Just ordered one of these today.
Old 05-13-2013, 05:41 PM

Just a heads up...

I bought one of these on eBay about four years ago. The Florida sun won. The finish peeled off on parts of it and the paint looked uneven. I had it removed, repainted, and reinstalled.

JB4 Tuner; RPi Exhaust; Sport, Prem & CW Pkgs; Nav; HUD; L7; hardwired V1; M Trunk Lip; Chrome Rims; 17% Tint; Michelin PS PS2s
Old 05-13-2013, 05:58 PM
Fastman

Mein Auto: 2008 535xi
M5 trunk lip spoiler

I had one installed from bmwchop in January and it started peeling up one the second day. Ultimately, it came up so badly I took it to my BMW body shop and replaced it with one directly from Germany. The two lips look identical and the paint job was perfect from BMWChop, but the Taiwanese version didn't work out for me. Maybe luck of the draw...

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Black matte grill
M5 spoiler
K&N filter
Old 05-13-2013, 06:11 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 545i
Can anyone tell me what brand this spoiler lip is? Looks awesome!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	besta lip i heimi eda.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	174.8 KB
ID:	376327