Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 10-02-2012, 10:22 AM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 2013 535i
Please give me input on options selected for new 535i

Here is the setup I'm about to order for a 535i:

Space Gray Metallic
Black Dakota Leather
Anthracite Wood trim
Luxury Seating package
Heated front seats
M Sport package
dynamic damper control
premium package
Sport Automatic transmission with shift paddles
Power rear sunshade with rear manual side window shades
Soft-close automatic doors
Premium hi-fi system

I'd really like any opinions anyone has on the options listed. Options that you would add that I don't have, or options there that aren't worth it. Anything you didn't get that you regret? I was really on the fence with the Soft-close doors, but most reviews I find just seem to complain about closing the doors. Thanks.

2013 BMW 535i ED-11/23/12 Redelivery- 1/12/13
1978 BMW 320i (paused project)
2009 BMW Z4sdrive35i (ret.)
1995 BMW M3 (ret.)
1987 BMW 325i (ret.)
Advertisement
Old 10-02-2012, 10:39 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 535i M-sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingpenM3 View Post

Space Gray Metallic
Black Dakota Leather
Anthracite Wood trim
Luxury Seating package
Heated front seats
M Sport package
dynamic damper control
premium package
Premium hi-fi system

I'd really like any opinions anyone has on the options listed. Options that you would add that I don't have, or options there that aren't worth it. Anything you didn't get that you regret? I was really on the fence with the Soft-close doors, but most reviews I find just seem to complain about closing the doors. Thanks.
Looks good to me.
To be honest, I have never had an issue with my doors closing. Some people must have some serious lack of muscle on here. Even the women I take out in my car have never had an issue closing my doors completely..

Previous BMW's: 87' 528e / 04' 325i / 07' 335i / 08' 335i / 08' 535i
Old 10-02-2012, 01:02 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 535xi
My doors and trunk close just fine, too.

Even though the BMW nav sucks, I think it's kind of weird to have a car of this caliber w/o a factory navigation, and if you're buying it you might have a challenge with resale.

For $250, BMW Apps is a no brainer. There's a lot that will evolve and this option can become more valuable than it is today.

I also would recommend some kind of parking assistance. Every time I park my car I wonder how I lived without top-view cameras.

2008 535xi 6-sp - Blk Sph, Blk Dkta,---2011 535xi - Jet Blk, Blk Dkta, Alum----2014 535xi - Jet Blk, Blk Dkta, Alum Hex
Bamboo | Prem | Cold | Sprt Pkg | Nav -Prem | Prem 2 | Cold | Sport | SAT ---- Cold | DA & DA+ | LED | M-Sprt | SAT | Multi
iPod/USB | Sat | Fld Dwn Seats --- ----Fld Dwn Seats | Side/Top Cameras -- ---HK Audio
Htd Rear Seats | PDC | 18" | Logic7 -- ---
(Good riddance!)
Old 10-02-2012, 01:33 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 535i X-drive
PDC is a must. This is a big car to park. Cameras are great as well for all kinds of situations.
I never thought about the Active Blind Spot Detection but I love it now. Personally I would give up the sunshades and get the car tinted.
There is such a difference between the two countries, for example, standard equipment and the make-up of packages.
GL
2012 BMW 535i X-drive; Space Grey/Black Dakota, Fineline; Executive (Auto trunk, NAV, HiFi Prof, Lumbar, Rear Cam, SIRIUS, Voice), Technology (Blind Spot, Hi-Beam Assist, Lane Departure, Surround View), APPS, Rear heated seats, Tint.
Retired: 78 300D, 81 300SD, 87 190E, 88 Porsche 924, 89 260E, 93 300E, 97 Volvo 850, 98 E320, 03 BMW 325iT, 02 C230 Sport Coupe, 08 BMW 535i
Old 10-02-2012, 01:54 PM

Mein Auto: LCI 550i Msport
Def. get the cameras. I only got the rear PDC thinking the rest of the cameras were for people that can't drive but after picking up my F10 this car is HUGE to squeeze into parking spots and tight driveways. I can see how the cameras could help big time

Another thing well worth is the Nappa Leather. It turns the interior into 7 series level in look and feel.

I have the soft close doors and they are only useful if you have a baby in the car that you don't want to wake up (i do) Otherwise not really worth it imo.

Alan

2014 LCI 550i M Sport | 3D Design Front Spoiler | BMW Performance Black Kidney Grills | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler | BMW Performance Gloss Black Diffuser | Painted Reflectors | Wincos 30% Tint | Supersprint Quad Exhaust | AC Schnitzer Springs | MORR VS8.2 Brushed Finished Wheels 20x10R and 20x9F | Michelin PSS Tires 245/35/20F 285/30/20R | M550d 16mm RSB |||More Photos of my car here|||
Old 10-02-2012, 02:26 PM

Mein Auto: Acura
Agree with FastMarkA that the Technology package would be really useful - mainly for the NAV. Compared to the 2012, the 2013 version of the package includes many more items. I've recently ordered a 535 xi and wanted to go in with the minimum number of options. I chose the Tech, Cold Weather, PDC, and rear view camera. The cold weather and Tech were a must have for me (I actually skipped the premium package - the 535s already come with leather seats and none of the other features of this package seemed important).
Old 10-02-2012, 03:15 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 535xi
I just had some fun with this since it's been a while since I priced out a car, not to mention the option packages are quite different from when I ordered in 2011. This is what I would get, based on my experience with having my 535xi:

535xi
BASE MSRP
$55,400
Jet Black (I don't mind taking care of my car, I really don't like sparkly paint. Personal preference.)
$0
Black Dakota Leather
$0
Aluminum Trim
$0
Cold Weather Package
$950
Driver Assistance Package
$1,900
M Sport Package (Really prefer the "regular" sport pkg from '11 and '12, but this is next best. Not a fan of the ricey look of the M, but it's still much better than non-M.)
$2,900
Sport automatic transmission with shift paddles (Best value EVER!)
$500
Multi-contour seats (Had these in my E60 as well, once you've had hard to go without.)
$1,300
Navigation system (For cursory reasons)
$1,900
Real Time Traffic Information
$0
Smartphone Integration
$0
BMW Apps
$250
Premium hi-fi system (This is a must.)
$875
Online Information Services
$0
Destination & Handling:
$895

As cool as the HUD is, I was trying to keep the price below $67K. I have the sunshades now and never use them -- I feel it blocks the rear window too much. Would maybe get those auto hi-beams for $250. I did not order Comfort Access for $1K, and I've driven tons of cars with it, and still am not a fan. Same with Sirius.

2008 535xi 6-sp - Blk Sph, Blk Dkta,---2011 535xi - Jet Blk, Blk Dkta, Alum----2014 535xi - Jet Blk, Blk Dkta, Alum Hex
Bamboo | Prem | Cold | Sprt Pkg | Nav -Prem | Prem 2 | Cold | Sport | SAT ---- Cold | DA & DA+ | LED | M-Sprt | SAT | Multi
iPod/USB | Sat | Fld Dwn Seats --- ----Fld Dwn Seats | Side/Top Cameras -- ---HK Audio
Htd Rear Seats | PDC | 18" | Logic7 -- ---
(Good riddance!)
Old 10-02-2012, 04:11 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
Quote:

Space Gray Metallic
Black Dakota Leather
Anthracite Wood trim
Luxury Seating package
Heated front seats
M Sport package
dynamic damper control
premium package
Premium hi-fi system

Looks ok, I find soft cloors doors to be annoying. Not needed on cars with light doors.

My only comment would be to consider a color other than Space Gray. It is a nice color, but over done the past few years. Plus, Space Gray is more of a green.

I am with you on HUD, more of a toy. Had it in the past, and can live without it. I find that after having many of the options available on a 5 , I never used them because they were silly or never really worked effectively. Even the adaptive suspension when I had it in the past was only on to show off to passengers. I suspect most are the same although folks would be hard pressed to admit due to pride.

Last edited by chuck92116; 10-02-2012 at 04:19 PM.
Old 10-02-2012, 04:49 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 535i.
Quote:

Space Gray Metallic
Black Dakota Leather
Anthracite Wood trim
Luxury Seating package
Heated front seats
M Sport package
dynamic damper control
premium package
Premium hi-fi system

Looks great, but add navigation (tech package). And soft-close doors seem like more of a 7 series thing. The doors on the f10 are not heavy enough to warrant this option, in my opinion.
Old 10-02-2012, 10:57 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 550i
Definitely add the Tech Package w/ Navi. Also the Driver Assist Package or at least a la carte PDC and rear view Camera. The F10 is quite a large car so the PDC and camera, as others mentioned, really help with city parking. With all these options, you're pushing close to the price of a 550. Part of this is due to the fact that the 550 has many standard features otherwise optional on the 535.

2013 BMW 550i
Titanium Silver | Black | M Sport
Old 10-02-2012, 11:27 PM
just like that, he's gone

Mein Auto: 2013 535
Don't bother with DDC (I can hardly tell if it does anything) and put the money towards the nappa leather or nav.
2001 E46 330Ci Sport, Steel Grey, 5-speed MT....and more

Old 10-03-2012, 02:52 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 535i M-Sport
You should really consider the ceramic trim and delete the soft close doors. The interior looks half finished without it.

2013 535i M-Sport, Jet Black/Black Nappa Leather-Premium-Technology-Driver's Assistance-Luxury Seat-Soft Close Doors-Premium Sound-Sport Auto Transmission-35% Ceramic Tint.
Old 10-03-2012, 06:39 AM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Uh, DDC really makes a difference. If you can't tell, you don't have the active suspension.

My thoughts:

Definitely Nav
HUD, if only for the much better dashboard.
Try to swing Nappa. It is a huge difference. Really big. Would rather get Nappa than lux seating package, for sure ( I have both).

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 10-03-2012, 07:17 AM
///Monkeyazz Duck

Mein Auto: 535i M Sport; 328i Wagon
Looking at your past rides, make sure you take an extended test drive in the RWD 535 to be sure you can live with the steering feel. Even though you may never see snow, you may want to consider an xDrive for the better steering feel (though even that will feel awfully light compared to your Z4 and M3).

BTW I agree with others that you should have Tech/Nav, PDC and rear view camera (we never use the side view or birds eye view) and BMW Apps. Our 535 has soft-close doors, lane departure warning, blind spot detection and auto high beams, and I find them all to be a waste of money.

Current BMW's:
2014 535i MSport Space / Black, ZCW, ZDA, ZLP, ZLS, ZPP, H-K and 704
2014 328i Sport Wagon, Glacier / Black, ZSL, ZD2, ZD3, ZDH, ZLP, ZPP, ZTP, and H-K

Prior BMW's
2011 535ix MSport
2011 X5 35D
2008 ///M3 Vert
2008 X5 3.0
2007 X5 3.0
2006 X5 3.0
2006 550iA SP
2003 540iA M-Technic
Old 10-03-2012, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
Uh, DDC really makes a difference. If you can't tell, you don't have the active suspension.

My thoughts:

Definitely Nav
Try to swing Nappa. It is a huge difference. Really big. Would rather get Nappa than lux seating package, for sure ( I have both).
I'm only 500 miles into my new car, so take this with a grain of salt.

Suspension:
For MY13, it's either "Sports Suspension" or DDC. This is a change from the past where ARS and DDC were bundled, and there was no distinct "Sport Suspension." For unclear reasons, but verified by many, electing DDC in MY13 will delete the stiffer sports suspension that comes with the M-Sport. After having a prior E39, I'm very happy with the suspension feel in my car without DDC. The only reason for me to have DDC is if I wanted to soften the suspension on occasion (as my dad would, for example--he doesn't like rough rides) but not an issue for me.

I'll break my other recommendations into categories:

Must have:

M-Sport
Tech Package. Agree HUD is really well done, and I can't wait to code mine to include telephone/entertainment information. For MY13, this is part of the Tech package, which includes Nav, BMW Apps, Real-time traffic. All of these are important to me.

Premium Package. Comfort access and Satellite Radio were essential. Trunk (with hands free opening) is surprisingly useful, and comfort access allows you to close the trunk and lock all doors with the touch of a button inside the trunk lid.

Driver Assistance Package. PDC is essential. I'm very happy with the rear and top view cameras, as well. The side view cameras are unnecessary for me (but helpful if you live in an urban area and have to pull out of alleys--but just a demonstration toy for me).

Luxuries (but well worth it):
Premium Sound. I am a music lover and am really impressed. Can't imagine what the B&O sounds but would not spend that kind of money on a car audio in a million years (and I've built and designed a audiophile 7.2 channel home theater in the past).

Nappa, and also comfort seats. These two together make a huge difference in seating comfort. For someone with a long commute, this is a big deal for me. I like seat heating because of back issues and not due ambient temperature here.

Ceramic Controls--though overpriced, the interior looks much better.

Unnecessary:
Soft-close doors. Probably the only option I added that seems like it was a waste given the cost, although helpful already since I have young kids.

Minor regrets:
Here in Miami, I should probably have gone for the full luxury seating package instead (adding ventilated seats). Given my stop/go commute, I wonder if I should have added the active cruise control (though I never use the regular kind except on long trips).
Old 10-03-2012, 09:13 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 535i/2009 x5
after 18,000 miles here are my recs

--535i model-- enough power- get this one
--HUD-- worth it!!- get it please
--sorround cameras==get it please
--nappa leather---THE MOST IMPORTANT OPTION SO FAR, get it please
--DYNAMIC DAMPER CONTROL- I will possibly skip next time ( only commuting and no hard driving )
--hi fi radio, excellent for mp3 , bad for xm radio
--nav- for resale
--blind spot- needed!- get it please

I regret not getting, and will get in the next 5

-soft close doors. a lot of people does not close the door strong enough
-M sport pack
-white color

2008 328i dark graphite ,cold weather pack,USB/ ipod/black leatherette SOLD
hers: 2009 X5 alpine white, dakota tobbaco leather,sport, DHP
premium pack
Old 10-03-2012, 09:39 AM
just like that, he's gone

Mein Auto: 2013 535
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post

My thoughts:

Definitely Nav
I have DDC only on my 2013 and and "maybe" a 5% increase in suspension stiffness, not enough to really matter IMO. I can go back and forth over the same road and bumps with it on Sport+ or comfort and it's not that different. The ACS springs I will have installed within a couple months should solve that though. I am just saying either get DDC/ARS or neither............or just DDC and better springs.
2001 E46 330Ci Sport, Steel Grey, 5-speed MT....and more

Last edited by Keyser Soze; 10-03-2012 at 02:14 PM.
Old 10-03-2012, 11:02 AM

DDC makes a huge difference in my 2013. its night and day going from Comfort+ to Sport. I do not have the DHP either.

In comfort+ mode plus my ACS springs i have to watch out for scraping the front lip because the suspension compresses down more making it easier to scrape the front. I've actually did this one in comfort+ mode. Once i switch over to sport mode the suspension is much tighter and i don't have this problem. I've also noticed while traveling at high speeds on the highway going over multiple dips the car would bounce/float around in comfort+ and it does not do this in Sport mode.

Must have option in my opinion.

2014 LCI 550i M Sport | 3D Design Front Spoiler | BMW Performance Black Kidney Grills | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler | BMW Performance Gloss Black Diffuser | Painted Reflectors | Wincos 30% Tint | Supersprint Quad Exhaust | AC Schnitzer Springs | MORR VS8.2 Brushed Finished Wheels 20x10R and 20x9F | Michelin PSS Tires 245/35/20F 285/30/20R | M550d 16mm RSB |||More Photos of my car here|||

Last edited by Alan L.; 10-03-2012 at 11:07 AM.
Old 10-03-2012, 12:14 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Thanks for all the responses. Plenty to look over now. It's funny how people either love or hate the soft close doors. I'm past the baby stage (where they are recommended), but I have 3 small girls that I don't want to have to go behind to re shut their doors, so I'm still not sure. I'm still wondering about the ceramic controls, haven't seen them in person to see the improvement.

2013 BMW 535i ED-11/23/12 Redelivery- 1/12/13
1978 BMW 320i (paused project)
2009 BMW Z4sdrive35i (ret.)
1995 BMW M3 (ret.)
1987 BMW 325i (ret.)
Old 10-03-2012, 01:55 PM

The way i built my car...

2013 Space Grey 535xi

Msport Package
Technology Package
Premium Package
Cold Weather Package
Premium Sound
Sports Transmission
Nappa Leather
Multi Contour Seats
Dynamic Damper Control
Park Distance Control
Rear View Camera
Soft Close Doors

Everything above honestly is a must have for me and the only thing i could see not having is the soft close doors. They work great but only useful if you have a baby/kids.

Options i would add if i could do it over again?

Drivers Assist Package - (The F10 feels like you are piloting a small plane or boat so i can totally see how the cameras would be very useful. More so than the soft close doors)
Ceramic Controls - (this depends what interior trim you are going with. I went with the Aluminum Hex trim so the standard silver controls looks fine but if you are going dark wood the silver will stick out like a sore thumb)

Old 10-03-2012, 02:16 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 535i/2009 x5
Quote:
Thanks for all the responses. Plenty to look over now. It's funny how people either love or hate the soft close doors. I'm past the baby stage (where they are recommended), but I have 3 small girls that I don't want to have to go behind to re shut their doors, so I'm still not sure. I'm still wondering about the ceramic controls, haven't seen them in person to see the improvement.
not only kids but also other family members / friends will not close the door well
the doors on this car are so ligth
if you have the $ get it

2008 328i dark graphite ,cold weather pack,USB/ ipod/black leatherette SOLD
hers: 2009 X5 alpine white, dakota tobbaco leather,sport, DHP
premium pack
Old 10-03-2012, 05:25 PM

Quote:
You won't regret them with young children. I'm in the same situation (four kids <10). It will save you from having to follow them or having them re-close doors.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:47 PM

Mein Auto: F10 6MT
I get in mine in a week and here is my build.

2013 Space Grey w/ beige and dark wood (not ash)

Msport Package
Technology Package**
Premium Package
Cold Weather Package
Luxury Seating Package**
Park Distance Control
Rear View Camera
6MT

I did a lot of research on DDC and the sports suspension that comes with Msport is exactly what I wanted, so no need for Adaptive Drive.

**The tech package and premium packages are a must. Nothing better then never having to carry keys in ur pocket and a nav well that is like wheels now a days...gotta have it.

Last minute I added the luxury seating. My back tends to act up any time I take long drives so it made sense. I wish I had added the Premium Stereo but I missed it Can't wait to try it next week.

Last edited by miamiboyca; 10-04-2012 at 01:42 AM.
Old 10-03-2012, 11:16 PM

Mein Auto: I'm still dreaming....
How many days in advance are you flying to Germany to pick it up?

Is the airfare expensive? Are you coming right back home?
Old 10-04-2012, 01:01 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 535ix M-sport
If you get Msport definitely add the SAT. If you are getting Luxury Seating, Nappa is not required. The perforated seats makes Nappa redundent IMO. Definitely get the Tech package. PDC and rear camera works for me. If you have a high paced lifestyle, comfort access is actually nice to have imo. DDC works very well. Premium sound is sufficient and a must. I would not stick with the base sound. I don't like the ceramic controls because it looks retrofitted. Soft close doors sound clanky and is not needed, doors are light and close well. Might as well get the cold weather if your getting heated seats. The steering wheel warmer is really nice. Forget all the driver assistance stuff, the car has no blind spots and has excellent visability.