Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 08-22-2012, 07:37 AM
ROLL TIDE!

Mein Auto: 2004 ZHP Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by P_T View Post
The 3.46 will get you from 0 to what every faster than a 3.07 unless there is some internal problem in the differential, that is just simple physics. The 3.07 will give you fewer RPM at the same speed thus saving fuel. If the software limit was not modified, your top end will be the same, you will just be reving higher. If the speed limiter is no longer present, the top end will be higher with the 3.07.

BTW, it was a good visit in Bama, a pleasure to visit face to face. I checked the clutch tool...it's not for 6-speed.
Good points here and others made. I think my frustration stems from the DISA problem and lack of power. This morning in the crisp air it felt great. For now, I am keeping the 3.46. But who knows. Maybe I'll find the ever tough to find 3.23 I want.

And indeed, I thoroughly enjoyed our lunch together!

Check out my YouTube Channel for DIY's and other fun stuff HERE
Check out my BMWBLOG!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
now, go burn your Man Card, and buy yourself a Camry....
Old 10-03-2012, 12:58 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2005 M3 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by P_T View Post
The 3.46 will get you from 0 to what every faster than a 3.07 unless there is some internal problem in the differential, that is just simple physics. The 3.07 will give you fewer RPM at the same speed thus saving fuel. If the software limit was not modified, your top end will be the same, you will just be reving higher. If the speed limiter is no longer present, the top end will be higher with the 3.07.

BTW, it was a good visit in Bama, a pleasure to visit face to face. I checked the clutch tool...it's not for 6-speed.
Not necessarily. 0-30 for example may be faster, since that'll still be within 1st gear. 0-60 may be slower because 60 requires an extra shift with a 3.46. 0-100 may also be a bit slower since the ZHP just barely gets to 100 in 3rd w/ a 3.07 iirc.

Averaged out, 0 - top speed should occur in roughly the same amount of time. With a 3.07, a ZHP could hit its top gear in 5th gear. A 3.46 will require you to shift to 6th to hit 155. So it'll likely end up being the same amount of time.
Old 10-03-2012, 05:49 AM
Keeping it surreal

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraPhantm View Post
Not necessarily. 0-30 for example may be faster, since that'll still be within 1st gear. 0-60 may be slower because 60 requires an extra shift with a 3.46. 0-100 may also be a bit slower since the ZHP just barely gets to 100 in 3rd w/ a 3.07 iirc.

Averaged out, 0 - top speed should occur in roughly the same amount of time. With a 3.07, a ZHP could hit its top gear in 5th gear. A 3.46 will require you to shift to 6th to hit 155. So it'll likely end up being the same amount of time.
IMHO, the main reason for switching to a 3.46 would be to expand the engine`s torque range in the middle of it`s band, making around-town driving and back-road corner scratching more enjoyable. The shorter diff *might* shave a tenth or two from the 1/4 mile time, but the difference would not be earth-shaking....

*Please support the Wounded Warrior Project*

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....
Old 10-03-2012, 06:02 AM
XIL

Mein Auto: 2002 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by smolck View Post
Yes, but my posterior dyno

Might need to make an investment.
Also, you might find something helpful here.

Dreaming of the ///M.

Last edited by bimcwe; 10-03-2012 at 06:04 AM.
Old 10-03-2012, 06:37 AM
ROLL TIDE!

We'll know soon about performance. I am slated to go to the drag strip this Thursday night with my brother in law and do a "grudge match" 1/8 mile race against his Merc. I am hoping in an 1/8 mile my traction off the line will allow me to win the race. I will post timeslips (assuming I make it to the strip) and we shall see what good (if any) the 3.46 does.

Check out my BMWBLOG!
Quote:
Old 10-03-2012, 12:20 PM

Mein Auto: 323i, Ducati M1100
Good luck!

On another note:
Quote:
"Theoretically" is the operative term here....some cars (owned by the lucky few) are pure freaks of nature, outperforming 95% of their "identical" brethern....
Same phenomenon occurs in the sportbike world. We call them "Wednesday Bikes"...
Old 10-03-2012, 01:45 PM
I'm a DlCK! So what?

Mein Auto: E30 with an S52
Quote:
We'll know soon about performance. I am slated to go to the drag strip this Thursday night with my brother in law and do a "grudge match" 1/8 mile race against his Merc. I am hoping in an 1/8 mile my traction off the line will allow me to win the race. I will post timeslips (assuming I make it to the strip) and we shall see what good (if any) the 3.46 does.
Good luck, sir! See if you can get a video.

Sent from the Bamavarian Nexus.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:10 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 M3 Coupe
Quote:
IMHO, the main reason for switching to a 3.46 would be to expand the engine`s torque range in the middle of it`s band, making around-town driving and back-road corner scratching more enjoyable. The shorter diff *might* shave a tenth or two from the 1/4 mile time, but the difference would not be earth-shaking....
Agreed - though I do think a 3.23 would be the ideal balance between instantaneous acceleration and gear length. I figure there's a reason BMW stuck with that ratio on the E36 M3, which has a somewhat similar powerband.

Last edited by TerraPhantm; 10-03-2012 at 09:11 PM.
Old 10-04-2012, 06:25 AM
ROLL TIDE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraPhantm View Post
Agreed - though I do think a 3.23 would be the ideal balance between instantaneous acceleration and gear length. I figure there's a reason BMW stuck with that ratio on the E36 M3, which has a somewhat similar powerband.
Have been hounding my friend's salvage yard for some time now looking for one, of course, how many AWD wagons with manual transmissions do you ever see? Especially in Alabama. Alas, I must compromise. 3.46 which I have, or back to a 3.07?

Check out my BMWBLOG!
Quote:
Old 10-04-2012, 11:14 AM
L4P

Send a message via AIM to MalibuMafiaV
Mein Auto: E60 M5 & Stage 3 Audi S4
Looking forward to seeing the results.
BMW 2000 3-series - Supercharged Because race car SOLD
Maserati 2004 M128 GT - HREs/tint/straight piped SOLD
BMW 2006 M3 - stock - SOLD
Old 10-04-2012, 12:06 PM

Send a message via AIM to JJ3699
Mein Auto: 2003 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalibuMafiaV View Post
Looking forward to seeing the results.
+1 on this, I cannot wait to see the outcome!

.................BMW 4 LIFE.....................
Old 10-05-2012, 07:56 AM
ROLL TIDE!

Didn't make the race track last night. But the 3.46 is feeling better with the cooler weather. I really think I have to bite the bullet and fix my DISA, I think the bell crank is rounded and the flap is only half working at times, other times not at all. And I blame this for the sluggish performance and not the diff.

Check out my BMWBLOG!
Quote:
Old 10-05-2012, 11:21 AM
L4P

Send a message via AIM to MalibuMafiaV
Mein Auto: E60 M5 & Stage 3 Audi S4
Quote:
Didn't make the race track last night. But the 3.46 is feeling better with the cooler weather. I really think I have to bite the bullet and fix my DISA, I think the bell crank is rounded and the flap is only half working at times, other times not at all. And I blame this for the sluggish performance and not the diff.
Don't let your disa suck little pieces into your manifold that wouldn't be good
BMW 2000 3-series - Supercharged Because race car SOLD
Maserati 2004 M128 GT - HREs/tint/straight piped SOLD
BMW 2006 M3 - stock - SOLD