Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)

E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)
E85 Z4 Roadster, E86 Z4 Coupe, E85 Z4 M Roadster, and E86 Z4 M Coupe talk with our BMW gurus here.

Old 10-02-2012, 09:59 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 Z4 3.0si roadster
E85 Z4 3.0si brake pedal vibration after rotors & pads replaced

I just replaced my rotors and pads on my E85 Z4 3.0si roadster. I used centric cross drilled rotors all around and cool carbon pads. I'm now getting a vibration through the brake pedal while braking above 70mph. After the car slows below 70 the vibration stops. There is no vibration through the steering wheel and it makes a noticeable noise in the cabin of the car when the vibration is happening. I've bedded the brakes twice now which did not resolve the issue.

Looks like someone who installed the same equipment on an e90 (http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=543561) had the same issues, but I don't see any resolutions posted.

I had the front control arm bushing replaced on the car today and the issue seems better, but is definitely still there. Any thoughts??

Thanks!
Ads by Google
Old 10-03-2012, 02:53 AM

Mein Auto: Z4
If the vibration was not present before replacing the brakes one of the rotors is most likely warped. If you are not feeling it through the steering wheel, it is most likely the rear. Remove the rotors and check for rust on the hub or debris between the hub and rotor that may not let the rotor sit flush with the hub. Unless you have a dial indicator, it will be difficult to tell which rotor is out of round. To verify the fronts are ok, safely remove both hands from the steering wheel and apply brakes till you feel the vibration while watching the wheel. If the wheel moves side to side, check the front for issues. Sometimes it is hard to feel the vibration in the wheel even though you can feel it in the vehicle. Although I do not like to resurface European and slotted or cross drilled rotors, I have done so. On most Asian and Domestic cars, I resurface new rotors before installing. You would be surprised the amount of rotors that are not true out of the box. The post you linked looks like the issue was present before the brakes were replaced. If that is the case, look elsewhere. If there were no issues present prior to replacing the brakes, go there first.
Old 10-03-2012, 03:03 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 03 Z4 3.0i
Sounds like those rotors suck. Take them in and have them turned or buy a runout tool and check them yourself for fun
Old 10-03-2012, 05:16 AM

Mein Auto: sloporsche
and use a torque wrench on the lug nuts with the correct pattern
Old 10-03-2012, 06:57 AM

Mein Auto: '06 M Roadster Imola/Blk
Since changing to Hawk Ceramic pads from OEM on my M, I now have vibration through the pedal as the OP stated(not like a warped rotor feels, just vibration at certain speeds). I also noticed this when I put cross drilled rotors on a 944 I had years ago. I suspect what is going on is the drilled rotors are noisy compared to the OEM rotors he had previously. It is likely normal or could be pad related.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:21 AM

Mein Auto: sloporsche
put the car on a lift and with the tires on use a dial indicator to check for run out. as per some factory manuals ....reclock the rotor on the axel flange
Old 10-03-2012, 09:32 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 Z4 3.0si roadster
sounds like my next step is to have the rotors checked.
Old 10-03-2012, 11:14 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 Z4
I put slotted and drilled rotors on my Z4 earlier this year. I don't have a vibration but there is a different feel and sound to them. I have driven cars with slotted and drilled rotors before so kind of knew what to expect but it is definately different than OEM. FWIW. If you can check the rotors for piece of mind, go for it, but I would guess it is probably ok.
Old 10-05-2012, 06:41 PM

Mein Auto: '08 Z4 3.0si Roadie
Be very careful tightening down the lug nuts. If you have a torque wrench, use it. If you don't have, or don't want to buy one (about 80 bucks), find a friend who has one. Costco can tell you how many inch/pounds to torque to. BMW rotors are very thin and do not take a lot of pressure. Use to be a regular problem with my '91 325i, until I found out to not trust the tire company's torque sticks. Costco re-calibrates theirs every day.