Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > The Detail Department

The Detail Department
Detailing tips, tricks to keep your bimmer in showroom condition.

Old 09-20-2012, 05:08 PM

Mein Auto: X5
New Carbon Black Metallic owner

I am looking for guidance in cleaning and detailing at home in between the professional detailings. I assume people have products and cleaning suggests. My last car didn't receive much attention other than the drive thru wash and wax. Basically what can I do at home and what should I leave to professionals?

Thanks....
Ads by Google
Old 09-21-2012, 12:57 PM
'Fest Sponsor

Mein Auto:
is the car brand new? What condition is the paint in right now? Any swirls?

www.3dproducts.com

First time buyers, use coupon code TD5

www.autopia.org

www.hdcarcare.com
Old 09-21-2012, 01:29 PM

The X5 is brand new. It was detailed before the 3M clear bra was put on the car.
Old 09-21-2012, 02:40 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW 528i
You can do a little, or a lot to your car. Depends on your budget and the amount of time you can regularly dedicate to maintenance.

For a Phase I obsession with detailing, you may wish to consider the following:
Start with quality basic products. A kit from P21S would be an easy way to to jump in.

Sealants are great alternative to wax.

If you choose to use a sealant, it can be preceded if you wish, by a good glaze. Kind of an optional thing for a Phase I detailing obsession. But some folks, myself included, swear by the marvelous effects of glazing before sealing.
Two buckets, two grit guards.

Towels, wash mit, quick detailer.

Clay is essential for prep before waxing.

Spray wax, is handy for those instances where you don't have time to perform a regular wax job, or as a shine booster betwen regular waxings.
For a Phase II obsession with detailing, the following items will be useful:
A dual action (DA) orbital polisher with pads. This is a solid kit, which took me very far. Still use it regularly.

Polishes, there's lots on the market. A proven and reputable combo is Meguiars 105 and 205. M105 is compound for heavy swirls/corrections, M205 is a medium polish. Each finish down very nicely. If I only had access to two products, it would definitely be these two.You can accomplish a lot with these two, including removal of foggy oxidation on headlights.
Check out the "Detailing Guide" at Detailed Image, it's comprehenisve and very useful.

Good luck!

Last edited by Revelation19; 09-21-2012 at 03:12 PM.
Old 09-26-2012, 05:11 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 535i
I just paid to get my car coated with OptiClear after prep and polish by a professional detailer immediately upon delivery. I've read great things about this product and the car looks fantastic. In fact it rained on my first commute to work but by the time I pulled into my work garage the water had beaded off and the car looked pristine.
Old 10-03-2012, 03:22 PM

Mein Auto: x5
I have nothing useful to add, I just wanted to say hello from a fellow Carbon Black x5 owner in your part of the woods.
Old 11-14-2012, 05:55 PM

Any thoughts on Hose free washing?
Old 11-15-2012, 02:35 AM

Mein Auto: Jaguar XKE
"Matte or Satin Finish Paint and Body Wraps" - http://www.autopia.org/forum/guide-d...ody-wraps.html

I hope the information in this article is of some help to you. If you have any further questions please let me know
Old 05-01-2013, 04:45 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 x3 35i
I have swirls..what to do?